Ultra David Tweeting about KI

Sure I will listen to them spew their “facts” once or twice (not 20) but I ultimately form my own opinion. Being a lemming is not good for anyone.

I always like to say that perception is key - it can mean the difference between life and death. Your thoughts, ideas, statements, opinions, arguments, debates, etc. won’t mean squat if it’s communicated or received poorly (both of which are what’s happening with Dave’s tweets and Paul’s repost of said tweets). It’s this very reason I don’t want this community to be so blind to those who have more sway in the community. I don’t want them to be mindless sheep that follow the sheep-dog. I want them to be the sheep-dog that chooses where he wants to go himself, because at the end of the day, it’s the dog that helps run and make a difference on the farm and that sits at the foot of the farmer’s bed while the sheep are still penned up outside simply waiting to be sheared.

1 Like

If you want to hear Dave go deeper on KI and his thoughts you should watch these:

In these vids he mainly only talks about Tusk as he is playing/commentating, but UD has come around on KI as he has played it.

Okay, sadly I don’t have the time to watch those videos all of the way through, but I appreciate you posting more insight into Dave’s way of thinking regarding certain characters and matchups. I did, however watch the beginning of both, and I’m quite surprised to hear him talk about how he’s relatively new due to his long-time absence. So, by some people’s own admission on this very thread, shouldn’t that mean that his case means less than others despite his status within the community? I don’t think it does, but I felt it worth mentioning due to the interesting dychotomy that it represents to us as part of this discussion.

1 Like

Calm down, fella. It is a serious subject, but there isn’t any slander going on (unless we’re talking about the “auto-meaty” grenade that may or may not exist - I still would really love some clarification on that point).

We DO need to find a balance within the community and work toward a better future for KI, but irrationally dismissing one another by putting words into their mouths before “rage-quitting” the conversation will not help us get there. Truth.

I’m not saying ‘git gud’. I’m trying to highlight the importance of having informed opinions, and the dangers of communicating less than informed opinions to a massive, often impressionable, audience. To clarify, I don’t think David’s tweets themselves are of grave concern. The idea of them (or any such hi-profile figure) being used as evidence of x flaw or y point-of-contention, completely without/ out of context is the concern (when we aggrandize the scale).

But, in regards to getting good, shouldn’t we all be trying to level up? Certainly we can agree that having a rational and information-based conversation, and labbing our problems, is preferable to flipping the desk and dropping the mic? Because, to be frank, I see an awful lot of the latter and a distressing lack of the former. THAT, my friend, is community suicide.

All the people here able to look at David’s opinions and say ‘So…?’ are a beacon of hope and an indication that things might not be as bad as all that. People can have opinions, and that can be that. You wanna bring facts and data and scenarios to the table, and it seems like there could be discussion to be had.

And, again, I gotta point to the numbers. A dozen or so names on Twitter doesn’t account for a whole community that is demonstrably growing. I’m not saying they don’t count, I’m saying they aren’t the whole picture.

1 Like

Do you guys not know how to have a discussion? All you’re doing is criticizing David and I for not giving more info. Twitter isn’t really the place for that discussion. This place on the other hand, is.

I was less interested in presenting my own opinion, which people have heard hundreds of times, but more interested in getting a discussion going.

But so far most of you have ignored the topic to high horse about thinking for yourself or some other Bologna.

Please, discuss the topic.

5 Likes

While I’m certainly not innocent in regards to the direction this thread has taken, I asked for the very thing you’re asking for now well over 3 posts ago. :wink:

I still don’t understand the topic. Are you presenting UD’s twitter as a critique on the state of KI? If so, can we get a statement from UD clarifying that these opinions were meant as critiques on the state of KI? Because if not, I think you’re trying to redundantly inflame a conversation you’ve had elsewhere to escalate the gravity of your own opinion without providing reasonable explanation as why your opinions are thus.

You’re a great player, but the communication has got to improve, man. I think your views and explanations may be better presented in paragraph form. You’ll say what you don’t like, but often one sentence at a time, and not a lot of WHY you don’t like x or WHY y is a bad design choice, nor are you often open to discourse. Granted, there is in general too much “I’m right/You’re wrong” around here, you are one of those voices with extra gravity, and you often choose to let that gravity be the basis of your argument, instead of letting it lend itself TO your argument.

C’mon, man, give us the blueprints!

1 Like

Well then tell us what you think the problem is.
If twitter isn’t the best place for it, he should come here and say his piece or his thoughts on it.
We’re not criticising were just stating that if people have a problem they should elaborate on it.
But I don’t know why you think pros and commentators have a high value of opinion than the rest of us.
We can see faults and flaws on every game and of asked I’m sure we could expand on them.

In fairness Paul you brought twitter into this at the beginning.

2 Likes

UD knows how to use Twitter. Has an opinion on KI.

/End Discussion

4 Likes

Keits ‏@TheKeits 1m1 minute ago
"I’ve never played a fighting game in which I liked or agreed with every character design or choice.

But to me, that IS the beauty of it.

So choose your favorite characters in your favorite game and train to defeat the characters and styles you hate!

Grow through competition."

I love this statement.

Also, Paul, you posted some opinions of another person who didn’t even ask for his opinions to be discussed. So now we’re replying to you. We’re not off topic because you weren’t even clear on what this topic is supposed to be.

3 Likes

I’m intentionally leaving my opinion and interpretation of his tweets out of this. I want to hear what you think without being directed.

Dear lord, guys.

OK then.

These are standard opinions of what characters the guy likes and dislikes.

End of discussion.

4 Likes

If you look up the thread I agreed with his Raam instinct statement.
I disputed his omen comment because it’s hardly game play related and they did brighten him up a fair bit in s3.
I get that he not fond on arbiter in fairness neither am I but there’s plenty of other characters to choose from.
He thinks gargos is a chore to play against but maybe if he learnt the MU or even played him he might feel different.

But to be fair you want us to come of our ‘high horse’ but let his opinion to be used on a petistool. You can’t have it both ways.
I thought I read on twitter this was gonna be your last ki evo surely then from a competitive stance your done with it.

We’re all never gonna be 100% happy with any game. I dearly love this game but there’s a fair few things I add or change which I’ve expanded upon over the years

1 Like

Okay, I kind of think I understand… Like a compound thread to discuss:

• Arby’s jump-gun one-chances, grenade vortex, and theoretical existence of auto-meaty grenade (which is seriously the most interesting part to me, and really want to know whether it’s a real thing or misinformation, for dichotomous reasons :D).
  • How complicated is Gargos to play both as and against?
  • What stages and/or colors capitalize on Omen’s relative transparency after the saturation buff?
  • Tusk, Mira, and relative simplicity.
  • RAAM’s instinct: cheap, annoying, both?

Kind of seems like a clusterffff of a conversation. We did go a little harder than that basic jazz, though. As a social experiment, I don’t think you could’ve reasonably expected that to turn into a conversation about the state of characters and mechanics. Instead we reacted to the random appearance of a pile of random opinions from a big name without context, but with associative subtext. High horses? I think not, good sir.

EDIT: Seems we thought we were confused…

1 Like

I’m the only one who thinks this is not a bad thing? This shows how diverse the game is in my opinion.

Raams instinct is like that to disorientate his opponent and camouflage him.
Arby is very reliant on his bombs and gun combos. He doesn’t really click with me style wise, same as Raam. But they work for other people tho and that’s the thing. Even if I can’t click with a character someone else out there does.
Yes gargos can be a bit much with the minions but that’s his trait, to overwhelm the opponent. Tho a good fireball or slap can take care of them.
I get that David isn’t happy with other aspects of characters but others like them.
Mira I don’t think is a simple character you have to rely heavily on life management and regain. she’s 1 of my favs.

Edit: keits, ultra david and others are talking about arbys grenades and set ups as we type.
They are fine tuning them in this patch. Other things I’m sure will be tweaked down the line. But even there they’re saying some characters you will hate when others adore them.
That’s the great thing about a diverse and divisive cast. Gets people talking about the game which will help it grow and that’s what we’re all here for at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Kim Wu

2 Likes

Speaking of being off topic…

What is there to discuss, you post a picture of someone’s subjective perspective of a game.

What’s the topic, what’s the point of us discussing this? The person made points on a character based on his view on them. The outcome of this discussion is on your end, without context the thread is likely to derail.

If anything, look at the threads of other topics, some of which are riddled with details and information about characters/designs worth regarding.

Take @CrazyLCD post for example, he posted a very detailed and intuitive insight on Kim on a competitive level. For the most part, we had a healthy and civil discussion, done so because his effort to add more than enough context.

If I made a thread saying I think Jago has too many DP options and looks silly in design, do you really expect a healthy conversation to arise? An alternative would be to ask for ways to deal with or manage his DPs. Or rather the perspective of the community based on DPs in other games in comparison.

Dear lord, add context, build on a conversation with your own voice. Don’t just post one photo with a mans opinions and expect an elaborate conversation from nothing.

Drops mic

5 Likes