Tusk is not Tusk anymore (from what I saw)

I hate to say it, but old Tusk was super whack. He was super ugly (go back and look at screenshots of him) and uninspired, had a decently cool moveset (much of which they’ve retained in appearance, at least), and said “dah” entirely too much for it to work in a real videogame in 2016. If they give him the “dah” on one move, that’s more than enough.

You can dislike things about the modern Tusk, such as a few weird facial expressions, but saying the legacy Tusk was way better is just… blech. People need to push nostalgia and childlike wonder aside and think about how things work in the present world; a fighting game landscape that is fiercely competitive with modern sensibilities and knowledge applied that we learned in the 20 years since the original KI came out (which wasn’t even really a tournament game even in the mid 90s).

I have fond memories of the old games too, from an age when everything was awesome, but this is a new time. You don’t have to like everything about the new game, but there’s a big reason nobody played the retro game in tournaments, and there’s a very good reason why they had to reimagine Tusk. “He doesn’t backflip during his DP = game ruined” isn’t gonna cut it.

9 Likes

I thought about this a little today. I think Tusk might be up there with Glacius in terms of extent of ground-up reworking. Just about every other returning character I can think of – even Maya, although I’m drawing a mental blank on what Kim Wu even did back in the day – shares considerably more in common with their original version.

Mind, when asked to guess what Tusk might turn out like, I basically wrote down a description of Jago minus the fireball plus an ankle slicer. I probably would’ve mained that, but it’s a good thing they found a very different direction to go with him.

I’m surprised, I was never a Tusk fan but I think they did him justice. He looks good, moves are fluid, not too effects heavy and looks intimidating as he should. I like how he isn’t mirrored no matter which side he is on like Jago and Kan-ra as examples.

It makes me think that IG split themselves into teams for different characters because Tusk & Arbiter look way more polished than Kim Wu, it can’t possibly be the same guy(s) working on Kim Wu

2 Likes

Most people are pleased with Tusk’s re design. Its just the vocal minority throwing a fit.

Characters retaining moves from the old game isn’t a must. The thing is, in KI all the character had Fireballs and what not. What’s happening here is IG and DH are separating the characters. You wondered how DH characters would be? Probably close to IG theme wise. After we had the basic Fighting Game Character arch types, DH started to add characters that use resources or different meters.

Just like Glacius, no one will care eventually. Heck, they might start liking it.

good point, also keep in mind he did not have much of a move set compared to other characters… they did a fantastic job in my opinion and I’m almost positive by tonight, all the issues people have will disappear once the reveal is finished… I’ve noticed that in this community, their will always be those who knee jerk react to every little flash of info we get… History has showed me that IG always outdoes themselves in the end, and not to place judgment until the final product is available, because up until the very day that a character is made available they will make improvements if necessary

I love new tusk :frowning: (and i am old enough to have played KI 1 and KI 2 in arcades, and i remember both) :frowning: :frowning:

I just hope they have time to fix up the shading around his face/muscles like they did with TJ compared to TJ’s e3 version.

And I can also appreciate over the top huge weapons as well. That reminds me of the firebolg sword from D&D :slightly_smiling:

Yes, everyone that disagrees with you must be a “fanboy.” It’s not that they can play something and come to a different conclusion than you, it must be bias toward a company that most of us didn’t even know about before they took over KI. The fact that you even think that’s a logical conclusion only demonstrates your own bias against them. Sad that you can’t seem to acknowledge it.

You didn’t ask for his opinion? That’s the funny thing about the internet, when you state your unsolicited opinion, others just might do the same. Crazy how the world works.

Get out of your way? What does that even mean?

Yes, we get it. You’re closed minded. You seem to take pride in it. Good for you.[quote=“CrimsonScorch88, post:35, topic:5550”]
Its my personal vision of KI games no matter if you like it or not.
[/quote]

Completely fair. Can’t fault you for that. No, I’m not being sarcastic. You like what you like and that’s totally fine. Though saying you won’t change your mind earlier still sounds closed minded, that’s your cross to bare, I guess.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. You realize that a lot of people are still here because they actually LIKE what IG’s doing, right? If they didn’t, this board would be filled with nothing but malcontents like you. So stop trying to invoke the community “we” and just speak for yourself.

Yeah that’s shoved down your throat, not thrown up a throat. He was pointing out the fact that you misused the expression.

You don’t? Sounds like you talk about them a lot. Also, MS doesn’t have the feeling of what a badass game really is? Halo and Gears say hi. Original Xbox also had Bloodwake, Wreckless, the Mechassault titles, and Xbox 360 had a good deal more. Xbox One has Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3. Those are badass games. I’d also argue that KI says hi, but you don’t seem to think that.

Now, before you call me an Xbot, I do think that Sony has some badass franchises as well. God of War, Twisted Metal and Killzone immediately jump to mind and I’m sure there are several more, but it’s early and I’m tired. Point is, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Which is exactly my point. You don’t seem to know what the console has offered in the past or what it currently offers, yet you’re still giving an inaccurate authoritative statement about it.

Changed from what? You just said that you never owned an Xbox console before.

Oh barf. Go sell that xenophobic trash someplace else.

Yeah, there’s juggling, so it must be Mahvel. God forbid KI expand combos in to the air when big combo strings are the series calling card.

What an empty statement. It made “people” stop playing. No mention of how many stopped or who stopped, or how many new fans came in. Just a blanket statement, words without context or content.

Oh they do? So you’re in on their meetings now. Good to know. Glad you’ve got that inside info.

You have absolutely no clue how much season 2 sold in relation to season 1. You don’t even know how much season 1 sold. What we do know is that season 3 has guest characters and a PC version coming out. That alone leads me to believe that they’re trying to expand the KI brand and you don’t do that if a game sells poorly. You cut your losses after two years and you move on to another project.

We also know that several gaming news outlets have been covering KI season 3 lately and we know that many podcasts like GWJ, Giantbomb, IGN, GameInformer and RebelFM have actually praised KI for their content delivery in the wake of Street Fighter V’s troubles out of the gate.

Late? Late for what? Seriously, you don’t qualify anything you say or support anything with actual evidence. You just throw empty opinions out there like “season 2 made people stop playing KI” without giving numbers, without even attempting to provide meaningless anecdotal evidence like some angry YouTuber complained about it or some pro tweeted about not liking it anymore. Not even that. Just words without context. Statements without support.

I hope you like your Xbox experience in the future more than you do currently. I really do. I hope you find some things in season 3 that you actually like.

6 Likes

LOOOL you took that more personally than i though…PS i aint even white XD

Pretty much jokingly admitted im saying it cause its trendy.

You should have known I was joking cause of the 10/10 IGN thing XD

it’s funny because everyone (or almost) who seems to like the new Tusk are those who didn’t like him before. Coincidences?

A returning character is not to please some who didn’t like him, it should be for those who liked him and want him back.

I didn’t like the old Spinal and almost never used him, when he returned, did I came here and say to those who loved him ‘‘OMG you are such a nostalgia guy grew up, things change you know, it wouldn’t fit in the new system anyway’’ and things like that? Why would I care, I didn’t even like or use the character. I said to myself, good thing if I like the new Spinal, too bad if I still didn’t like him, thats it.

Hoo ok. So now we are in 2016 so a character in a video game should be in 2016 too? would be nice. Didn’t know that now some giant iceman and ghost rider were actually real! Or that some immortal sorcerer was in there too. I heard they finally finished the new dino-lizard prototype too. ■■■■ I got some time to catch.

You said it yourself, the moveset was cool and I will say that he was also unique, so you just keep that cool stuff, change the rest and make it fit the new system.

We haven’t even seen the stream yet, chill smh. The gameplay videos I don’t think have done him justice, let’s see what the whole package looks like first.

1 Like

I liked him before. I like him now. I wish his face had some more texture to it, like a mole, crows feet, lines, pores, maybe a scar or whatever. Ya know. Face stuff. Also hope his hair gets some improved texturing as well, but I tend to doubt it will.

Either way, I thought he was awesome before and I think he’s awesome now. I’ll be curious how his retro turns out, as I’m hyped to see that too.

A character, returning or not, should please as many people as possible who tend toward that type of character. That’s how you build a good game.

Yes, classic characters should retain some of what made them who they were originally (or else, why bring them back at all?). But I tend to think in the course of making a new game from an old franchise, that the following are all likely for the wide range of players and their vastly differing tastes:

-You’ll have old characters that you liked before that you don’t like now.
-You’ll have old characters that you disliked before that you like now.
-You’ll have old characters that you liked before and like now.
-You’ll have old characters that you disliked before and dislike now.

Liking a character before doesn’t give you some sort of magic priority over those that didn’t like the character before or never played before.

I loved Sabrewulf in the original games, but he doesn’t currently have enough to keep me interested in him. I feel like he could use another special move or two. I wish his instinct had a fun mechanic to play with along with the more utilitarian feral cancel, which I’m also not that in to. Oh and I really wish they’d work on his retro.

But I don’t say that as though I’m entitled to have a Sabrewulf that fits who I think he should be just because I liked him before. I don’t really understand that logic.

I know that I didn’t have any priority. I know that I may like some characters that I didn’t like before, but you certainly don’t want to change your main, the one who’s making you love the game and play it.

When you wait 3 years for your favourite character to come back because he is the one who will makes you play that game as much as before is being completly remake(we’ll say maybe from A to X for now…) and like I said I’m not talking about his look, I don’t care about it, sure he needs some touch up but this is not my point and like I said, the retro is always there if you don’t like the new desing, only talking about moveset and in-game ‘‘attitude’’ here.

If Saberwulf was one of your favourite character and you doesn’t care of all the changes and not liking him anymore and the fact that he could have used a little more of old stuff, well you are ■■■■ good.

As for me, if someone destroy something that I used to love pretty much, I just can’t throw it away with my back hand and say, doesn’t matter, I’ll try something else.

Long post incoming:

All of you trying to shout down the OP need to back off. You needn’t let other people’s feelings invoke such disdain. Everybody is entitled to their own reaction. Stop getting frightened when others don’t react the same way you did. Learn to accept that opinions differ.

Those who are disappointed by Tusk cannot help the way they feel. And it’s not because they wanted the old Tusk. Anybody who says otherwise is deliberately oversimplifying our concerns. We all expected Tusk to be dramatically different, as all other characters have been. But from what we’ve seen, they took everything that we loved about Tusk, and turned it inside out. It’s a wonder they didn’t make him short and skinny, holding a dagger.

My problems with the new Tusk can be summed up as thus:

Old Tusk was characteristically young, passionate, energetic and aggressive.
New Tusk, as far as we’ve seen, appears old, haggard, battle-weary, and defensive.
From his tired voice, to his slack face, to his lazy stance; the energy is just gone.

That’s it. My expectations were not specific. He just needed to be young and energetic. (Tall, muscular and big sword were a must. Thankfully they got that much right.)

As far as shouting ‘Dah’, yeah that was stupid. However, Tusk yelling during the fight is what made him feel like he was getting into it. It felt primal and barbaric. ‘Dah’ could have been substituted with a different, more realistic yell.
New Tusk, as far as we’ve seen, seems somewhat indifferent to what’s going on.

I don’t think any other character has been remade into the opposite of what they used to be. That’s why some of us were caught off guard by what they did with Tusk.
As the OP said, it’s as if he’s a completely different character. If he’d been given a different name, we might have been fine with him. Because to many, this just isn’t Tusk.
It’s as if the developers overthought everything about the character, and thus couldn’t quite get it right.

This is a fine new character, but the absence of Tusk makes us anxious. I’m really trying to come to terms with it.

And before somebody else says it, I know I need to shut up and wait. Accessories and some minor tweaking might make a big difference.

1 Like

Speak for yourself. Things like young and energetic are things people have tacked on. At the end of the day he was just a large, blond man with a big sword.

This is all really starting to smack of the Orchid debates back in '13

I was very clearly speaking for myself.

I notice that, because I have concerns about Tusk, I’m being lumped into the category of “one of those hooligans that complains about all the characters.”

This is the first character I’ve ever had any complaints about. Sadly, this is also the character I’ve been most excited about.

1 Like

This is exactly the kind of details who makes a game or a character awesome or just okay, everything is in the little details here and there.

And this is exactly how you think if you doesn’t care about anything and doesn’t want something excellent instead of kinda okay.

So Orchid is just a skinny girl so its okay, they did well
Jago is a ninja after all so they did well
Fulgore is still a robot and saberwulf still a wolf so they did well and etc.

Well as you say…speak for yourself, say more that you sleep with the game itself and accept everything, that’ll be the same and good for you if you like it that much, but don’t tell us that it’s ok if you think like that

1 Like

Okay. You made your concerns very clear. Your favorite character isn’t quite right according to you. No sarcasm, just understanding. I don’t know what to tell you, besides it’ll be okay, there’s still 4 more characters to come. Who knows, maybe in 6 months time you have a new favorite?

1 Like

Well, let’s just wait until the stream tonight to see if “destroy” is the right word. Maybe it will be. Maybe you won’t change your mind. Maybe you’ll find something new to like in place of what you once loved. Maybe you won’t. I hope for your sake that you’ll like him though.

Why would I be frightened that someone had a different reaction than me? People have a lot of different reactions to a lot of different things in this game. For me, I want the UI to look crisp, clean, and incredibly stylish. But you or other people might not care about the UI at all.

I think that Tusk looks fun, but if you think they took out the best parts of him, who am I to tell you that you’re wrong? What I will say though, and that speaks to ideas like him being haggard, battle-weary, indifferent, etc, is that you might want to consider seeing how he comes off in both the final release version as well as the story mode, which will hopefully give us more insight in to how he behaves.

I don’t see anyone trying to shout OP down. I see a conversation happening. If someone called him names or told him to shut up, then maybe I didn’t read this thread thoroughly enough. When someone has an opinion that differs from mine, I don’t tell them to shut up. I read what they’ve said and I react, and if that starts a conversation, that’s fine by me. If it doesn’t, that’s okay too.