The Replay and Analysis Thread

Oh. I missed it actually. I’ll be glad to take a peek once I have time. Thank you for your concern.

1 Like

I can read the forums, but these days I’m moving a lot and barely have time to play. I’m trying to finish everything and start watching replays here, but life happens

Aiming for the weekend

1 Like

Don’t wanna feel like a burden putting up an extra video before anyone had a chance to talk about my previous game but right afterwards I got the chance to finally fight Bass, would like to hear the feedback from the community.

One thing I would like to point out during my matches is that I did a lot of odd jumping attacks like right after I jump off the ground, that was me missing my air dash. The nerves got to me and I seem to mess up on a lot of them.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Ok, let’s try with @GalacticGeek’s match set against TJ…

First, gonna subscribe every word @DEClimax says about the other match.

Summarizing about Tj matches (You may know some of this, but anyway will help any spectator, as Storm’s analysis over WrathofFulgore match helps Bojima):

-Jump happy. This is generally a bad idea, but it’s even worse in this particular MU. Your excesive use of J.HP is not the way to go here, since TJ is pretty good closing the gap against zoning with his roll. J.HP it’s ok against opponents who cannot challenge it inmediatly, but TJ is definetively not one of those. You also used J.MK on strange situations. Either you was guessing a jump from TJ(which was a wild assumption), or your muscle memory failed and tryed to use it as cross up, since a lot j.MK are cross ups, while Kilgore’s one is j.LK.

-Poor punishes: There were several times you could punish your opponent and the punish was weak. Some examples include L.Missiles instead of an oppener to punish a whiffed Shadow tremor, a totally unpunished shadow counter from TJ, or using a J.HK into QCB+P, which doesn’t lead to combo. You should know what to use in each situation to get the maximum guaranteed damage. Sometimes you could just use HK into special. Others, F+HP into normal into special. Others, just special. But if you have time to do a F+HP into normal into special, using LP, LP into special is a bad choice. Test your optimal range punishes on the lab, and start applying them.

-Poor enders: You used the wrong ender several times(cooling at midscreen against TJ, wallsplat into a single LP which dropped the combo…). Your to go ender, if you have any doubt, it’s the damage one. You can do fancy and damaging combos while overheated with the launcher, but that’s very advanced and requires lab work, and I would stick with damage ender for now. Wallsplat could be useful with some mixups, like baiting a throw with backdash, or baiting a dp with teleport.

-Bad spacing for bullets: Avoid using HP from fullscreen while overheated. You will not hit your opponent, you will reduce your overheat time, and you could be punished for it by some characters. You could use it as bait(eg: fullscreen HP against Aganos, he goes for shadow ruin, you use shadow QCB+P, block in time, and get your punish of choice), but let’s walk befor running. Also, avoid using bullets up close, since the framedata is not in your favor, specially against TJ. At the begining of round 2, you did a good job tagging him with normals. C.MK is a great button, use it frequently on that range. If you use bullets on an unsafe range and you have meter, cooldown to be safe.

-Antiairs: Not much to add. You have a DP with several ranges. Nobody should freely jump against you.

-Hit confirms: Several times, you used c.LK into opener. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not, but it’s not a good way to go. c.LK, c.LK into opener is better, since you can confirm on reaction from the second c.LK, so if you got blocked, don’t go for a unsafe opener(all of them are), and if you hit, go for it. This will save you from lots of free punishes from your opponent. This is somewhat unique to Kilgore(all his openers are unsafe), so muscle memory will make this change extremelly difficult. I struggled a lot to implement this on myself, since I’m not used to.

-Setups: Kilgore has a lot setups to use, and you wern’t applying them consistently. I would suggest you a visit to the Kilgore category, there is a lot of good tech around.

-Happy breaking: Maybe you were nervous, but you tried to break 90% of the time. He almost always used HP after a juggle, and you seemed to read this and always tried to break it with heavies(yay!), but you eated A LOT CB’s and lockdowns for just merciless break attempts. Try to NOT break anything you don’t recognise. Restrain yourself. Let it go. Most players will go with lights and mediums until you get locked. Eating 5 25% combos is better than 2 50% combos, since they have to open you MORE times, which you can try to avoid. Try this: limit your break attemps to 3 per health bar, and don’t carry them(if you don’t use any on your first, you have 3 for your second, not 6). Maybe even less(5 per fight in total, you choose when). You will choose wisely where to use them, since they are a more precious tool if you can’t use them without caring. This point is really important, and IMO your 1# priority.

3 Likes

Geek vs TJ:

Good: you managed to capitalize on your opponents lockouts pretty well, because he was guessing a lot. Fulgore actually shouldn’t spend meter on his lockout combos (unless you are overheated), because the damage is pathetic, but that’s an easy mistake to make because he is pretty much the only character with this rule.

Bad: you guess break pretty much 1st frame on every single opportunity throughout every fight. I started to count the times you didn’t guess break and I think I used only one hand. Your success rate was actually pretty high (your opponent probably would have been frustrated), but in the end you gave up more damage than you saved with this strat. To me it comes back to your mentality about fighting games; when you’re nervous or unsure (for example, because you’re learning a new character), you default to the riskiest option. This also includes buttons, reversals (ie, reversal dodge), and immediate break attempts. We see it in your Aganos play as well, but it seems to be exacerbated when your instincts take over. If I was fighting you, I would pick up on this pretty quick and learn how to make you uncomfortable, then make the very basic read that beats your panic reaction.

Don’t be fooled, your opponent was guess breaking almost every opportunity too. He may have talked about how he puts his hands on the arcade stick, but he didn’t describe any strategy that helped him break correctly.

I can’t comment on it just yet.

But I will say that this is an excellent set. Nice Mira!

I also don’t have much advice for this pair of matches. The I didn’t see any obvious patterns from the Cinder player that you didn’t handle well. So good job.

He did catch you with his HK Inferno a lot though. You know it hits low right?

Fulgore shouldn’t spend meter on lockout combso unless he is overheated? Hmm. Neat.

1 Like

I knew he was guess breaking after about 3 fights, because I was able to do the whole counter-breaker prior to an AD and get him virtually every time. So no, I wasn’t fooled - at least for long. Still, I see players that really seem fast, and I wanted an explanation - he was the 1st person to ever give me one that might’ve made sense.

In any case, I wasn’t really nervous during these fights - I was just trying to figure things out with Kilgore (I love that you called him Fulgore at the beginning of your own post, BTW), and still kind of am. For example, I still struggle with the timing of his cool-down cancel, as well as using his DP effectively. I’m also starting to develop some bad habits that I’ve noticed that I’m already trying to correct - for example, using OTG or HK missiles after a DP, which is dangerous if the opponent quick-rises. The only times I find I’m able to do these 2 specials effectively and safely are from full-screen (obviously) and after a throw or metal ball ender (because they both cause hard knockdowns). The former special is inconsistent, especially in the corner (where it often whiffs), and the latter special is still hard for me because it also switches sides from the ender prior.

I know I still jump and break too much. I’m working on those as well. The former is particularly hard because it’s not easy for Kilgore to get in safely due to so many of his moves being unsafe. To that end, I’ve been working on cancelling off of said unsafe moves if blocked to make them safer as well as using it to hit-confirm from long-range and move in to continue the combo. I know I can potentially get in while overheated with MB, but I often bounce off just outside of any useful range (his c.MK doesn’t even reach), and am still working out what I can do as a followup in that instance.

Someone mentioned that I shouldn’t open with a normal into special because of how unsafe it is, and I agree with that assessment, but their recommendation of doing 2 normals as a sort of pressure check doesn’t sit well with me either because I’ve tried that in the past and been shadow countered off of it numerous times.

Yeah, the Kilgore 0 meter CB combo is like 41%, and the 2 meter one is like 44% or something. The shadow moves add almost 0 damage to any combo. If you’re overheated, best way is to do HP double xx shadow blade dash immediately (so you can start applying PD), then do another HP double if you have lockout time left, then do DP ender for cashout (and another application of PD), OTG guns, shadow DP cashout. At least, it’s pretty close to that variation. This does a ton more damage than the 0 meter (like 58% for 1 bar, 60-something for 2 bars). If not overheated I would literally never spend a bar.

Due to the glitch in instinct where shadow linker does not apply the 1 second of PD, his instinct lockout combos are different than his non-instinct-but-overheated combos. For those you want to do DP ender as soon as possible, believe it or not, and then do OTG guns followed by juggle something else followed by shadow DP cashout or something. It’s weird, I posted about it in the Kilgore tech thread if you want to see the exact combo.

1 Like

Know what kind of opponent you’re up against and pay attention to their resources. If they’ve shown that they will shadow counter obvious pressure strings, then watch their meter and bait accordingly. Even if they are very proficient at shadow counters though, normal->normal->opener is the better option, as normal->opener will always be a punish if it gets blocked and the opponent isn’t asleep. If you have the space for it, his HP I believe staggers, and so is a great button to confirm from instead. HP->MP->opener is a solid Kilgore hit confirm, and because you have so much time to follow up from the HP you should have enough time to see if the first hit gets blocked and just not go for the follow-up.

I’ll get to watching the videos at some point to offer my own feedback. I find the character kind of boring to watch, so just haven’t been in the mood to watch extended sets with him.

1 Like

I probably don’t use f.HP as much as I should, but that’s largely for 2 reasons: 1) I haven’t quite nailed the spacing for it yet, and often miss as a result of being too far away or getting thrown/DPed for being too close. Because of how rare I actually hit with it, I’m often not ready to take advantage of the stagger when I actually do. Is it safe on block? I would think no, but I’m not sure…

I’m also not really in the habit of watching my opponent’s shadow meter unless I’m fighting Shago, since I know his surge is so important to him. Granted, this has obviously cost me in the past, as I would do something that could be shadow countered… :rolling_eyes: So yeah, I know it’s something I should be doing and will work on that.

Many characters can/do press two normals in a row during pressure or confirms, and all of them can be shadow countered, so this is definitely a “vs player” thing instead of a “vs character” thing. If you notice two normals getting shadow countered, then he’s guessing/chosen to make a read on your pressure.

Fortunately Kilgore has some amazing opener damage if you can bait something punishable like a shadow counter or DP. f+HP -> f+HP -> light missiles -> [manual into combo] is very high damage starter.

1 Like

Awesome Mira play man! We’ve got to run a set sometime :slight_smile:

Really don’t have too much to note from your matches. Against Cinder I think you disrespected burnouts a bit too much and in ways that weren’t really necessary (level 2 burnout ends quickly on its own, so patience goes a long way), and that you’ve got to work a bit on watching your toes against the character. Other than that though, your play looked solid to me.

Against Bass, just a few notes really:

1. I think representing tick grabs more could help you, since it’s a potent conditioning tool, keeps your pressure, and performs the valuable service of keeping your life topped off. Even if you don’t need the life, ticking with embrace puts the seed in your opponent’s head that it’s never their turn, and encourages them to jump at later points in the match where you can dunk them for it.

2. I’d also put in my general note about prioritizing the kill - if reaping is going to finish the job, no need to go through the trouble of launcher->juggles, especially since the bigger juggles cost blood health. You could’ve killed Bass at around 8:50 or so with a reaping ender, and wound up having to work harder than you should have to close out that lifebar.

3. Might be helpful to prioritize that silver life a bit more as well - there were a couple points in the set where you really needed to slow the match down and recover some health, but you were just laser focused on getting that last hit. It’s fine to trade health for the hit, but at a certain point I think you have say “ok, now it’s time to heal.” Especially if the opponent is a very mobile or slippery character.

4. I like the use of mist form in the corner against Spinal. I think fierce DP damage to yourself is worth getting out of his nasty corner pressure.

5. When Spinal’s divekick hits from high up, it’s not his turn anymore. You can check those follow up buttons with jabs of your own.

All in all great matches man. Really like your Mira!

Thanks! I hope my Mira will inspire others to try her out. She’s a very underrated fighter.

Looking back, yup it would have killed alright, but I’ve had many moments where they’d barely survive and I’d have to end my turn doing pressure since reaping is a soft knockdown, her launcher ender while in instinct just gives so much more potential on the mix up that I tend to not go for the reaping ender at all during instinct.

The struggles of playing Mira, imma right?

Thanks for the feedback man! Spinal is a tricky one for me, and having to fight Bass’ spinal on top of it? Hard times.

I picked her up for the random character tournament and had a lot of fun learning how to play with her. But it’ll take a bit more work to keep from shooting myself in the foot.

@GalacticGeek Finally sat down and watched the TJ matches. Don’t have all that much to add to what the others have said. A few notes below:

1. Kilgore can effectively zone a lot of the cast members. However, TJ is not one of those characters. He can roll through literally everything Kilgore wants to put on the screen at a distance, so as you face better TJ’s more familiar with the MU they will punish you for trying to zone like this.

2. Work on making your missile setups tight. There are huge gaps where your opponent can act the majority of the times you use them. If you leave obvious holes in your pressure, better players will exploit them.

3. You managed to bait a lot of shadow reversals in these fights. Work on getting your punishes to be something more substantial than throw. When overheated Kilgore’s throw might not be a bad idea as a punish, but before your bullets start adding PD I suspect that entering the combo system normally (heavy->stuff) is the better idea.

4. You already know it, but it bears repeating. Chill out on the breakers.

1 Like

It sure inspired me to keep playing her! Nice Mira dude!

2 Likes

And here’s a FT10 with myself and @SLHiImKeith, between my Sako and his Riptor.

Missed a lot of stuff unfortunately, including some serious difficulty with dash->dash->shadow ORZ punishes for some reason :slight_frown: As always, any and all feedback is appreciated, and thanks again to Keith for the games!

1 Like

I will take a look tomorrow, only watched the first match and was really great!