The Replay and Analysis Thread

Okay, so after playing Kilgore exclusively for the past few days, I have to say I’m really enjoying the challenge he represents. He’s been helping me learn how to block more, shadow counter more effectively, find openings to start combos, and more. I wanted you to see how I’ve improved, as well as see where he can take me from here with your help and advice.

Since many of you have asked me to upload multiple matches, this was 5 hours worth of work (it actually could’ve been less, but I made a few mistakes) with minimal editing and upload time. It features 5 matches, with a 4-star player (Beathead), a random casual I’ve run into several times that’s always been a fun opponent (Barbara), and of course forum locals @STORM179 and @PTYGreenkraken.

I lose most of these fights, but that’s okay because they were all very close, fun, challenging, and a learning experience (and there were a few funny moments too) - which is exactly what I look for in a fight.

And just so you don’t mention it ad nauseam in particular, I know I jump a lot in these matches - it’s something I’m aware of and already improving upon…

Enjoy!

https://account.Xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/2d9ddd60-fe7d-4ae9-bb2b-ed28500f50a4?gamerTag=Galactic%20Geek&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

Video doesn’t play for me. Tried on both Edge and Chrome.

EDIT: new link works @GalacticGeek

1 Like

Looking into it. My guess is that it hasn’t fully uploaded to the site yet, since it’s so long.

Played a little bit of Ranked tonight, and immediately ran into Fiyah Liger and Mr HeroOfTime. Matches below:

And yes, I know my hit confirms were awful at the start of the Liger match :sweat_smile: The final match in this video though I think is a good example of just how much damage you get from stray hits and effective management of the neutral. Neither Hero or myself finished more than a single combo all game, and the match still ended with me having half a red bar. Don’t be afraid to stack up neutral hit damage - it’s not always necessary to go extra hard trying to get full combos out of people. A few throws, a couple sweeps, and a reset or two, and your opponent is just as dead as if you’d hit them with two full combo->counterbreakers.

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

Okay, I switched the link to Xbox’s official site - let me know if that works for you (it took a moment for it to show up for me, so you may need to give it a moment before it starts).

Good fights (though notably all against the heavier hitters). Just as a note though, when we mentioned multiple match uploads, it wasn’t just about seeing several fights. The more important part is seeing several fights against the same opponent, so that we can actually see and give feedback on how you adapt across multiple games. A collection of 5 one-off matches is a lot less useful than a 5 game set, because in the one-off matches we have no clue what adaptations are being made as you go up against a guy. It’s hard to give good feedback if all you see is a single fight across a larger set - a lot of the mind games that go into certain decisions will be completely lost on us, because we have no larger context in which to place them.

On a technical note, I’m doubtful about the “realness” of that knockdown->high missiles->shadow ball setup. High missiles take forever and a day to come down, and the screen freeze gives more than enough time for the opponent to recognize the setup isn’t real and they can probably just dash under you. Or just throw out a godlike down+HP or DP if they have access to it.

1 Like

I figured someone might say something about it not being the same opponent… SIGH

Not sure what you mean about “realness” exactly. That was 1 of my favorite combos - using the s.MB to confuse and still hit the opponent? Awesome.

< shrug > It’s the replay and analysis thread…I’m just trying to encourage you to post replays in a way that would allow for the best analysis and feedback.

I’m talking about the setup at 12:42 or so. I don’t think it’s “real”, as in I think it’s something that looks like it’s a mixup, but really kinda isn’t. I believe you tried it against several of the characters I played against you, and I don’t think it hit me once. Kilgore’s new, so it’s entirely possible that it is legit and maybe you just mucked up the timing slightly against me, but at first blush I don’t think it’s a tight setup, and non-tight setups have holes that people can escape through.

You said it didn’t work against normal-sized characters. So, I tried shadow to control it. Seemed to work and give a 50/50 crossup opportunity.

@STORM179 @Infilament @Dayv0 @SlenderCashew50 @SonicDolphin117 @TheNinjaOstrich @KevBones10 @DEClimax

Okay, so since you guys asked for it, I’m almost done uploading a few matches from a set I had with a single player to share with you - a TJ known as ImSelfProvoked.

Apparently, he thought my Kilgore was the best he had seen thus far, and that I was also pretty funny, so that was a plus (you may see why in the 2nd fight). It’s always nice to find someone who will laugh at your jokes. :slight_smile:

He was even kind enough to explain to me how he was so fast at breaking without guessing (it was almost surreal how good he was at times - you may see this in the fights provided too). The way he explained it, he had a specific hand position on his arcade stick - from right to left: pinky = HP, middle finger = MP, and index finger = LP. The kick buttons were all pressed using various joints in his hand. To press 2, he described it as a slight karate-chop motion.

It was nice to finally gain an understanding of how some players can seemingly break perfectly so quickly every time. Thankfully, I was actually able to eventually take advantage of that fact in some cases (also shown).

Still, it makes me wonder at just how much of a disadvantage us controller users may actually and potentially be, especially when the controller is wireless and you’re playing online.

In any case, I’ve talked your ear off long enough so, without further ado, I give you!

[Stay Tuned! Video coming soon!] crickets chirp

EDIT: ahem!

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/634ca44b-533c-447e-b652-11a08710d9d0?gamerTag=Galactic%20Geek&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

Apologies for the slight delay at the beginning of some fights. We were quickly messaging each other across XBL. :sweat_smile:

This upload only took me 4 hours, BTW… :unamused:

Go ahead, analyze to your heart’s content, and then tell me about it. :grin:

Man, this xbox video player is pretty primitive. Doesn’t even have timestamps next to the scrubbing bar? Some of the timestamps might be a little off.

Setlist #1

Match 1:

0:05 Your medium DP is a very far reaching and relatively quick AA. AAing is hard in KI for sure but you should definitely be trying to shut down this kind of cheeky early jump. Likewise you should be careful about jumping this early in the match.

0:10 Not sure why you’re doing reversal gun rush here, I can think of no action the aganos player would take that makes any sense where this would work out for you.

0:15 You’re using guns a lot to zone but you should really be mixing missiles in to have chip as a threat and build more meter before you overheat, especially vs tall characters like aganos since you can angle them slightly upward and cover his whole angle of approach.

0:20 Probably wanna punish that chunk up. Also you should be more aware of the range of overheated guns.

0:30 You ducked under his fierce, you should be sweep punishing this at the least.

0:40 Missiles are punishable at that range, need to be more careful how you use them.

0:50 There’s no reason to do this exhaust. You should save that meter for cashing out overheat combos, or using exhaust when you actually need it i.e. when your opponent has jumped a projectile or done a shadow move to punish it.

1:00 You should always be doing a HKD after launcher ender in overheat/instinct, then going for OTG guns, into shadow cashout if you have the meter.

1:08 What was your goal with this uppercut? I could understand doing one raw to catch your opponent trying to take their turn back, but cancelling after a jab doesn’t make much sense.

1:13 Once again, missiles from this range are unsafe.

1:20 I’m…pretty sure that club chuck into shadow ND was punishable? It looks like it, anyway. No idea why he did that.

1:25 I would be very sparing in using raw flip outside of overheat, the move is extremely punishable.

1:47 Once again, no reason to do this exhaust. All you’re doing is wasting meter.

2:01 Shadow ruin is like -80, Please do a real punish :frowning:

2:20 Shadow DP doesn’t combo here, and even if it did you would just be broken on opener > ender.

END Total jump ins by opponent: 7, by my count. Total AAs: 0. Really gotta work on that man, you have an invincible uppercut.

Might analyze the others later, I’m coughing to death right now.

1 Like

Having just read through the last month’s worth of posts, which was over 200 and quite the saga, and of course having to skip all the videos which I have to come back to: the reason several characters can avoid Mage’s and now also Kilgore’s shadow counters is because many projectile invulnerable moves actually retain their invulnerability throughout on whiff (ironically including Warrior’s shadow counter/shoulder), which shadow countering causes a move to do.

*Eagerly awaits Bane’s feedback *

1 Like

Only seen the Shago set so far, which I’m not actually sure you posted - I just subbed to your channel so I could look through all the sets posted there. You’re a better Hisako than I so I can’t give you much advice, I was more watching for tips haha, but I did notice you didn’t use your jumping normals much except after a walljump, generally when you jump you’ll use an ORZ rather than a button and her aerial normals are really good. Also after an anti air CH Cr.HP you could get a bit more damage if you went into grounded ORZ then jump cancelled the last hit, although you’d be opening yourself up to another break point of course.

Great set all in all and good to see how you implement her neutral, oki and reset game over a long set.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not a fan of letting them break before I can get them on the ground. I feel like I’m kinda bad at “choke point” counter breakers, so I just avoid the scenario for the most part. Once they’re in front of me and eating a real combo I’ve got a lot more options to muck up breaks and threaten resets, so I like to get to that point as soon as I can.

And yeah, I almost never use straight jumping normals off of her wall jump, though I do pull them out on occasion. I should probably threaten with them a bit more - a lot of people don’t AA her because of how much she can change her jump trajectory with an air-ORZ, so I should work on taking advantage of that more.

Don’t sweat the size of whatever advice you give me man - I’m posting here to get better the same as everyone else, so I’m grateful to anyone who takes the time to comment and give me feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Thank you
  2. Thank you
  3. Thank you
  4. Thank you
  5. Thank you
  6. Thank you
  7. Thank you
  8. Thank you

By the way, had I thanked you already for the Mira advice?

Without kidding, all these apply to me as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lol. Glad it was helpful :smile:

These 8 “things” tend to stand out and are common things many Mira players do in the learning process. Everyone will figure it out eventually but it’s good to have that second opinion on how to develop more optimal play for Mira.

Got to fight against a very good Cinder. These matches are always fun for me, especially when fighting against really good ones. Let me know what ya’ll think.

2 Likes

I spent all night uploading my last clip for you guys in the Kilgore vs TJ matchup, and…

It seems like you guys didn’t notice. :disappointed:

@DEClimax was kind enough to give his comments for a portion of the previous set I provided, which was appreciated, but I’d like for some of you to please give the newer of the 2 sets a look-see if you don’t mind.