The Replay and Analysis Thread

Last post in the matter:

First, I didn’t pretend to insult you Geek, and I apologise if you were offended. Maybe stubborn could be less offensive, I just wanted to point you that your attitude wasn’t the best.

My point: be more receptive. We try to help you. We are not being aggressive: we are frustrated because you seem to not listen us.

Enough, let’s back to the replays

1 Like

I’m no longer talking about this in the replays thread, so you don’t have to worry about that - Sasuke was kind enough to create a private discussion. You can ask him to tag you in it if you’d like to continue it…

I just want you guys to be better than me and not lash out at me when I lash out at you. Turn your cheek, as it were. Today, you failed to do that.

I accept your apology. Please accept mine.

You would be surprised. I’ve pulled this out because it’s something that a lot of players think, and while strictly true, it misses the real point. A LOT of my play against people is just waiting for them to get impatient and do something unsafe or that I can react to so that I can punish them for it. Patient play (being willing to sit and do nothing, or simply block it out) is very often strong play, because people tend to want to “do stuff”, and as it turns out “stuff” is often negative or punishable. Never underestimate the value of being willing (and able) to hold pressure.

And as a bar for comparison, I don’t actually think my defense is that good. I rely a bit too much on trying to exploit not-tight pressure and waking up with counter. That’s something that I need to improve on if I’m going to beat the very best players, so I acknowledge it as a weakness in my game.

Sure, why not? If Sleep and Bass play, one of them is going to lose. I’d share some losing matches here in a heartbeat if I had a good collection of them to look through.

We share matches because we want to improve our play. I learned just a few days ago that in spite of being a really good Hisako, I’m also an idiot who didn’t realize I could do counter->ultra when the counter was against an aerial attack. I’ve placed Top 2 in the last 3 KIPL’s I played in, and wouldn’t have known that if I hadn’t posted here. Even when I’m posting myself getting supremes, I am sincerely hoping that people can find gaps in my play that I can work on closing - because I want to get better.

The people here don’t challenge incorrect assertions because they want to dogpile anyone. They challenge them because incorrect base assumptions make all of us worse players, and those have to be challenged if we really want to improve. @Infilament said you can do air attack counter->ultra, and I argued that he was wrong. Someone else verified that I was the one mistaken, and I’m 100% fine with that. The whole purpose of this thread is to challenge bad play or ideas, and everyone who posts in here should be ok with that. That’s how we get better as a community.

This post isn’t about proving anyone wrong - I just want to make sure that everyone here knows what this thread (shoutouts to @Dayv0 for making it!) is about. We post our play so that we can all improve, and the arguments that occur all stem from that as well. Nothing more and nothing less.

4 Likes

So…

If I need/want help and I post replays…

What format of video would be good?

Any as long as it is watchable :smiley:

I’ll see what I can do.

Okay… with this replay… I think you made the leg stroke of the letter K too stilted. Also the finger really isn’t touching the pain… might want to improve on that. :smiley:

5 Likes
2 Likes

You went too hard on the offensive and that led you to make mistakes when you should’ve played defensively and waited for the opponent to mess up. A longer replay would’ve helped.

1 Like

Well, I never said that a good defense wasn’t important - I was just stressing that a good offense is a necessity.

I stand by what I said with skill being relative to others. If you’re seeking advice, then that generally means that you don’t think you’re great - well, good enough at any rate. Still, learning is never-ending - I think we can all agree on that.

I disagree with good offense being necessary. Defense is more important than offense. I’ve won a decent amount of games where the other player tried to open me up but failed and I just blocked the whole match until they did something unsafe.

4 Likes

Well, of course defense is important. If a person can’t hit you, they can’t win. However, you can’t likewise win unless you hit them.

This is an argument that’ll kill a horse though, and I happen to like horses, so I think I’ll just leave it at that.

I don’t really consider blocking and punishing an unsafe move to be offense though. I still consider it a solid defense. Same way I consider a wake up dp to be a defensive option.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a difference of perspective then, not who’s right or wrong. That means we’ll likely never convince each other of the other’s stance… So why try?

1 Like

Offense is typically categorized as attacks that break through an opponent’s defense (such as blocking), or winning a neutral position.

Defense is typically categorized as taking defensive actions, like blocking, or capitalizing on offensive mistakes that your opponent makes. For example, DPing a -3 on block move as a reversal is good defense, not good offense, even though you are inputting an attack. It’s because you did it from a defensive posture as a response to an opponent’s offensive mistake.

If I beat someone online doing nothing but blocking until they jump or do unsafe moves at me, I would classify that as me winning entirely by defense.

I suppose you can assign your own definitions to these terms, but then it’s gonna be pretty hard to converse about strategies since we’ll have no idea what the other is talking about.

7 Likes

In your scenario, and using my view of the terms, the block would be defense; the attack would be offense; a shadow counter would be both.

Yup. We are going to have a tough time to converse with you on this.

So let’s just avoid that altogether then. You already know my perspective on this, so I don’t really need to say much more than I already have.

The way I see it, in fighting game:
Offense: Attempting to open up your opponent.
Defense: Preventing your opponent from opening you up.

In that case anti airing someone that jumps in on you or punishing something unsafe isn’t offense because they’ve opened themselves up for you instead of you having to break through their defense. It could be argued that sitting back and blocking until an opening presents itself is your way of opening people up the same way smothering someone with pressure prevents them from launching their offense and is therefore a defensive play but at that point we’re talking intent behind the play as opposed to simple definable terms.

3 Likes