The Replay and Analysis Thread

I think I can understand and accept that explanation in that it’s the intent that matters. I just wish that mattered more often in situations involving me. :sweat:

I hope this example below is appropriate and that it helps those who need it.
The Shago is doing all sorts of stuff to open up Bass and he is punished for it by one and the same move (just like good players often punish my Aria because I cannot sit still but always go for the attack)

3 Likes

That would be embarrassing. Killed by Derpasaurus Wrex…
You could also say. That dude got Bassed!

WTF did I just watch…?

To be sure, none of that was really a “punish” in… well, in the FG sense of the word. That poor Shago was definitely punished for picking up his controller that day, but a majority of those j.HP’s didn’t “punish” anything (there may have been some errant “punishment” displays as he tagged whiffs because he was holding up, though).

To punish something is to hit one’s recovery frames. The opportunity is presented by giving up frame advantage by letting unsafe moves get blocked, or by whiffing long-recovery moves.

This has been our daily vocabulary lesson, brought to you by the FG Lingo Stickler, and the letter B.

Bass is not “punishing” his opponent: he is trolling the Shago player.

The title gives enough hints about the objective of the video: “killer” ranks. Bass is probably trying to show how a killer rank means nothing, since he wins this match just blocking and using j. Hp. The shago player is totally unable to counter this, which would be easy if the player is familiar with anti-airing, one of the most basics skills in fighting games.

This is more true if we consider that a lot Shago players(not all, of course) just avoid the neutral and spams divekicks and slides(this player is a good example, with several fullscreen slides or unsurged divekicks). The shago just spams stuff hoping to open bass, and he is totally unable to stop Bass from jumping and using j.hp.

It’s easy to say that the Shago player can win “scrubs” easily with this tactic, but an actually good player can not only stop this, also can win with an easy to counter and repetitive plan, since the Shago player is not playing against Bass: he is playing alone. The shago player doesn’t care about what is he facing, he is not adapting his opponent: he just goes by his plan, and struggles if someone can overcome it

1 Like

I used to flench when I would play halo a while back. some of it was because it was new. some of it was because of coffee and still, some of it was just being a deer in headlights.

rule 1. relax that grip on the controller. warm up between match by doing inputs.

rule 2. drink a beer or two religiously till u just have the calm bomb mentality.

rule 3. tap your buttons don’t press them.
always try and keep your controller stuck in neutral.
that’s what I do anyways

1 Like

Regarding rule #2, um… I don’t drink. :beer:

1 Like

Hey man I might be available tomorrow for sets with friends, what’s your time zone?

1 Like

EST. :laughing:

Alright, when are you available tomorrow?

I guess I’m the one who started it, but we should probably keep this thread for just replays and analysis. Do any matchmaking you need to do in the GG’s thread.

2 Likes

Yuhu!

New section!

1 Like

This is a set I had with EMPR_Menzo. I am currently learning Fulgore and was hoping I could get some advice on what I should be doing with him. I don’t know the match up against Kilgore, so I get hit by a lot of stuff and get locked out a lot so excuse that ^_^;

This is my FT10 with aphex arcade: what did I do wrong? And how do I rectify it?

Big three things I’d suggest are:

1. Learn Eyedol’s punish for wrecking ball. Aphex got away with doing some very unsafe wrecking balls for pretty much the whole set.

2. Learn Eyedol’s best buttons to contest wicked tongue approaches. Rash is negative when he comes in with that, so unless he’s at some crazy angle where your buttons won’t reach you can check a lot of that stuff.

3. Learn how to meaty. This is a good skill in general to have, but in this set in particular Aphex saw you couldn’t meaty and immediately knew he didn’t have to respect you at all once he’d been knocked down. This isn’t SFV - waking up with mash jab is nearly always punishable.

All in all though I wouldn’t sweat the loss - Aphex is a Top 3 Rash in my book, and he’s leveled up a LOT in recent months.

1 Like

That shago must have been trolling or something. No…I don’t care who you are. Even amateurs will try and air to air you if you annoy them enough. This guy didn’t even try. No…this was staged. I don’t believe it.

FT10 set with @BHswordsman09 Thanks again for the games sir :slight_smile:

A lot of the trailblazer hits was me trying to shut down the follow-up with mash jab, but not getting the jab out fast enough. I was also trying to react to long-rage infernos with shadow ORZ, which is why I got clipped by so many of them. As always, all feedback is appreciated :thumbsup:

1 Like

I have a few comments while typing this at 4am.

1. I don’t really play Hisako, so I can’t help you much with tuning your game plan. You seem to be doing alright with this match up anyway. (You are convincing me that I should pick her up).

2. I do have a Cinder though and I saw Cinder rely on burnout and the burnout ender a lot. And the PD was rarely cashed out. I think he should have used his meter more for chip damage by applying shadow fission.

3. Cinder has a lot of fancy juggles but they don’t mean anything if they end up being broken. Did he throw out any counter breakers at all in that set (looking back I can see only one)? It seemed like you broke his recapture 80% of the time. And almost every time he caught you with his Heavy Inferno + Shadow Trailblazer you weren’t afraid to break it 1,2,3. Maybe he’s frustrated with the timing of them this season. A fearless and good Hisako player is hard to fight against.

4. he was giving it to you when he got you in the corners. And whenever you could, you wisely got out as quickly as possible. I think Hisako’s jump back + Heavy buttons are pretty hard for Cinder to chase down. So you made the right choice of doing that Everytime the situation made you uncomfortable.

@BHswordsman09 is a much better Cinder player than me so he might know something about this MU that I don’t. But don’t really understand why burnout was relied upon so much and why so little counter breakers were attempted in context of all the combo breakers that were going on. If I ever play you @STORM179 I would just zone you to make you come to me. Because you were most vulnerable in the corner.

• Capitalize on your lockouts! Learn your damage loop(s) and confirm your lockouts into them. I saw a lot of light doubles filling up lockout timers, that’s a no-no! When in doubt, H double>L Linker x2.

• You do a lot of raw Blade Dash and dash up OH. I feel like a lot of these should have fireball coverage. In the case of Blade Dash, if you don’t charge it you aren’t plus. I would like to see a lot less raw and a lot more L.Fireball x chg.BD>pressure - I think you’d see a better payoff on your BD approaches for free (the BD and subsequent pressure string refund the spin from fireball), and you won’t run the risk of getting poked out of OH unless they’ve got meter.

• I also feel like you try to play a very traditional oki game, eyeballing meaty timing for raw OH’s and the like. Fulgore has some filthy oki you should be taking advantage of. I think I saw you fireball>teleport on approach more than on oki, and I think you’d be better served switching that order. Fireball>chg.Blade Dash to approach, Fireball>Teleport shenanigans when you knock’em down.

• Game 3: you picked up the win, but still try to build a habit of Opener>Ultra. He locked out in this case, but he still saw and tried to take advantage of the lifesaver you threw him in the form of that M double. If the game doesn’t force you to provide that opportunity, just kill’em.

• Game 4: you picked up the win, but were noticably flustered, and started doing crazy stuff like panic-neutral DP and wake-up cr.MK. Seeing you give up the Hype Beam to a jf.Gun because of annoyance was a heartbreaker. If it wasn’t annoyance, maybe try less “loose cannon cop on the edge”? I mean, it worked out here, you won the match, but better safe than sorry, y’know?

• Only continue a combo between rounds if you really need spin, try to get it to Lv.4 in as few hits as possible and end it w/ DP or Splat Ender. Don’t get in the habit of arbitrarily spending spin in between rounds w/ HKD or Launcher Enders.

Good games! Sorry it took so long. I fell asleep before posting, and thought for sure I had already posted. Whoops.

2 Likes

Arm burnouts are actually very strong against Hisako since she flat out can’t combo (without fanning flames) if her arms are burning, so it’s not a bad option at all. But I’m not really a fan of lvl 1 burnouts (even a tiny amount of patience will get rid of the effect), and you do need to have a plan for how to catch someone who tends to run away after getting a burnout applied. I agree that counter breakers are essential if you’re playing me though, as I’ll break until you make me stop breaking. Cinder does need to apply pyre bombs in this MU as well, but Hisako is actually pretty hard to seriously zone. She can cover a lot of space very quickly, so hardcore zoning can get blown up pretty badly if your timings get a bit predictable.

1 Like