The New GG's Thread! (B/c we're so awesome that the last one had too many replies and auto-locked)

GGs to @FallofSeraphs76! Today you knew my baby Omen. It was a fun set against you Kilgore, Shinsako and your Omen. I know I have to improve my Omen a lot, but I had fun playing with you. I lost by 10-3, but I think some matches were close to win. Maybe with a little bit of luck I could win more 2. I hope you can give some feedback about my scrub Omen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also I just want to add that I lost the counts about how many times I dropped my combos pushing 3 kicks button without the intention :sweat_smile: I was a little nervous at the begining. Kilgore is a character that I don’t know how to fight against. I learned with @MnTLetalis that his Blanka Ball is shadow counterable, which I did one time. And that Shinsako’s weak spot is zoning (I watched in a tournment these days), so I abused rashakukens at your Sinsako, well it almost worked I think :no_mouth:

3 Likes

You did great! I could tell you were nervous at first and then you went up on me 3-2…had me worried there! I could tell you definitely mashed 3K a few times and wasted your meter/shadow form when you didn’t need to. I used to do that too way back when Omen came out because I was so used to using 3P or 3K for shadow moves. I had to break that habit quick and do all shadow moves by just using 2 of the P or K buttons simultaneously instead of 3K/3P.

Your cross ups were on point and you using of shadow form after sliding in was good too. Also you did a move out of instinct were you threw shadow rashakukens and came in and crossed me up a few times. Really caught me off guard…thats a move I need to start using myself!

I was really impressed with the shadow counter of the fired up metal ball! I was like WTF??? lol

Your cross up and light Orda also reversed my inputs with Kilgore and that got me a few times.

Just keep playing with other people and you will learn something new each time and that will go a long ways…before you know it you will see improvement that you desire.

GGS man…Id love to play again anytime!

2 Likes

We will! I need to pay a visit at Omen’s tech thread and ask some advice to improve my skills.

Yeah sometimes it did, but I remarked that you realized my strategy of always use light orda as wakeup, and sometimes I got punished for that. You just needed to jump. I use L.Orda, you jump, and then I got punished :confused: I can’t just rely on light orda, I must avoid to use it always against skilled opponents.

Also I felt that my combos were kinda easy to break, they were broke a lot. Specially against a skilled Omen like you who knows his animations. I need to use some manuals in my combos, but I always drop my combos when I try manuals :disappointed_relieved: but there’s no other way, if I want to win against good guys I need to learn how to perform manuals, otherwise I’ll always have my easypeasy-to-break combos.

1 Like

Try using back dash instead of light orda sometimes…that works for me to catch them jumping or using DP. I dont think I ever seen you back dash, meaty HP,MP, or sweep.

I like to sweep someone once or twice and then on the 3rd time walk up and grab them because they are so worried about blocking the sweep. Or the opposite…train them to tech grab but hit them with the sweep… then maybe next time jump up. Just rotating all 3 of those out randomly and keep them guessing. You can apply that across other situations as well.

as for manuals IMO the part where is drops is linking the manual into the next move…linker or ender. I like to “plink” the button from manual to linker. You have to hit taht linker button quickly after the manual or you will drop. You cant really wait till the manual is done to start up your linker motion. DO it all in one motion…manual>linker

1 Like

You don’t have to avoid it entirely, just don’t do it all the time (or even most of the time, as orda is a pretty mediocre reversal anyway). Sometimes you should backdash, sometimes you should orda, and sometimes (this is important) you should simply block. It’s important to represent all your options, otherwise you take your own tools off the board.

On Seraphs sweep and additional buttons advice, I think he’s right that you should seek to mix up your offensive options. I’ll tweak his recommendation just a bit to say that if you’re going to meaty sweep, most of the time you may as well meaty cr.MK/LK. It’s less negative (meaning you keep your turn if they block it), and it opens them up to full combo, which is a lot better than most getting the hard knockdown. But yeah, make your opponent guess on wakeup - Omen’s got some of the best tools ok the game for that.

2 Likes

Id like to reiterate that the sweep example probably isnt the best for Omen since I really dont use that set up with Omen…I use that more with Kilgore since his sweep has such a long range compared to Omen’s short range. But I agree MK for Omen would be much better and its some thing I need to add to my Omen game. But I love doing that with Kilgore…I can tell it gets people salty when they guess wrong 3-4 times in a row lol

@MariusStriker and like Storm said…sometimes its just better to block it out. Nothing more frustrating than throwing everything you have at someone and they block it all. It can really demoralize a player as to make them feel helpless.

1 Like

I just had a best of 3 set against a guy in Exhibition who’s name I can’t remember at the moment, but he was in Killer playing Maya, and I was using Tusk. Good back and forth. He took the first fight, I took the second, then he took the 3rd. Was a fun set :slight_smile:

4 Likes

GGs to all I faced on KI before work today, and to all who faced my Android 21 and lost this week :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Yeah this is another thing that I must practice. Normal → Openers. The problem is the time to confirm the hit. Omen’s Forward HP has a long hit time confirm, it’s easy to perform combos from that. But from other normals? If my opponent blocks the normal and then I go for an opener, I will be punished, right? Assuming that I don’t have Shadow Form in pocket. Right now I can’t go to the lab to see the time of normals hit confirm. But I already watched @ItzTymeToDul do that a lot in his matches: Omen’s low kick → opener. It’s a powerful tech to open people, I just think that the time is very strict, like manuals. It’s possible to perform, but needs practice to become an natural habit.

1 Like

No you wont be punished every time if you use Light kicks or light slide… you can back dash out or jump if they block it. Or you can use shadow form or you can kick hitting the kick button and keep the crazy kicks going and catch them trying to punish.
FWD HP is not an opener, its easily shadow counter-able and easily breakable if done after a fireball or other hit confirm.

YOU could also use more aerial dashes , air dash to kick to grab. or just keep jumping and being annoying.

Take all these things we are talking about and just mix and match them to keep people guessing.

2 Likes

Depends on the opener. Light slide isn’t punishable, and light flurry kicks may actually be plus (@itztymetodul ?).

The more important part of the equation, though, is to understand that most players, even at high level, aren’t usually hit confirming the way you think they are. Top players aren’t getting confirms off single lights, and most aren’t reacting to mediums landing either. If a top player wants to confirm off a light button, you’ll usually see them begin with something like cr.LK->cr.LK->opener, which is seeable, but blows the KV so high that a reset is almost required. If they’re confirming off a medium it’ll usually be a slower button with a lot of hitstun. More commonly though, they’re just kind of buffering the opener input anyway, and trying to work the timing such that if it hits they’ll get the opener to happen, but maybe also delaying it just enough to bait you into a frame trap if you block. A lot less of it is “skill and godlike reactions” than you think.

With Hisako for instance, I’m not actually confirming anything until the second rekka - almost all of my pokes have me buffering the first rekka regardless of whether or not I hit anything. Other characters have to be a bit more thoughtful about that since they can be more easily shadow countered, but the principle is much more applicable across the cast than you might think.

1 Like

-1 if i don’t mash kicks but it’s plus if i do (you get pushed back and can punish me before I’m done moving).

1 Like

WATCH KI NOW I’m live on Twitch - Watch me at twitch.tv/itztymetodul

2 Likes

Twitch stream thread please!

1 Like

GGs @SiskoK1ng, for a fun and lenghty set. I finally got to play with some low level characters and had my first extended exhibition set for a heck of a long time. I seriously can’t even with ranked these days, so if anyone feels like saving me from the pain of ranked, hit me up. :smiley:

1 Like

Anybody up to see @TDBH0TSH0T against me? CHECK OUT THIS HYPE SET FROM MONTHS BACK THEN!

5 Likes

Would be cool to see this set analysed don’t you think @Infilament @STORM179 @ItzTymeToDul

1 Like

I don’t mind saying my thoughts on it if Dul and you both would like that. If so, then just post it in the Replay and Analysis thread :+1:t5:

EDIT: as a sidenote, I’m down to play a set right now @TDBH0TSH0T @ItzTymeToDul or anyone else who wants to play. Fair warning - I’m feeling Hisako-y at the moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah not familiar with the forums so I’ll post it there as well. And yeah your thoughts would be appreciated. This mu is very finicky and alot of people either thino it’s 6-4 cinders favour or 5-5. I personally think it’s 5-5.
And if your on in an hour @STORM179 I’ll defo play

1 Like

I think I can do an hour for now. Will try to connect on the Steam version if that’s ok - want to test some stuff out. The lobby matching normally works really well, so we shouldn’t have an issue finding each other.