The "Exercising" Thread!

I didn’t count exact numbers.

Most of my trophies have been destroyed from 13 years of moving houses, but if you want pics, I can absolutely post some.

Whatever you interpreted from those quotes… go ahead and cut those numbers in half. You read way to deep. I can promise the real numbers are over 100 on the pushups, and over 50 on the trophies. But don’t assume anything much higher than that.

When I said "over 100 trophies ", I meant barely over 100. NOT 200.

when I said “hundreds of pushups”, I meant that I could definitely reach 200 or more in a day. NOT that I could drop and do 300-400 consecutively.

If you’re not good at running, you can try the 5-minute method (that I read about in Reader’s Digest): walk for 30 seconds, then jog for 20 seconds, then sprint for 10 seconds. Rest for 1 minute, then repeat again 2x for a quick 5 minute workout.

Walk 30s
Jog 20s (50s)
Run 10s (1m)
Rest 1m (2m)
Walk 30s (2m, 30s)
Jog 20s (2m, 50s)
Run 10s (3m)
Rest 1m (4m)
Walk 30s (4m, 30s)
Jog 20s (4m, 50s)
Run 10s (5m)

1 Like

That’s insane if you could do over 100 pushups heck even close to 100 under the age of 10. I just think as you admitted you over exaggerated those numbers especially for a small child. That was my first impression and it just flabbergasted me man, it is all good.

1 Like

I’m reviving this thread just to give a report, and see if anyone is still interested. If not, it can die again.

I recently pulled one of those “drop everything, cross the country, and start a new life” routines. One of my “new life goals” is athletics, even though I dropped- off a little while after making this thread. (It doesn’t matter if you give up, as long as you come back better than before.)

I have started a new routine, and focused on NOT OVER WORKING. The worst experience in fitness is “blowing out” and having to start all over again, so I am putting my ego aside and starting slow. Even if it means using 0- 10lbs for each workout, I make sure I don’t over work. The first 2 weeks is EXPERIMENTATION and CONDITIONING, not actual “pushing yourself”.

I will go into detail, and post progress, and share lessons I learn here if anyone is still trying to improve themselves as well. But if not, I will go make gains by myself and just post the before- and- after pictures in about another year :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I need to make time for exercise. Any tips to find the motivation to do some exercise?

I’ve been trying to get up the motivation to start dieting and exercising again. I dropped 50 lbs last summer going to the gym and walking the dogs while playing Pokémon Go. :slight_smile:

I deleted that game at the end of the summer, but I actually just redownloaded it a week or so ago so I can do something, anything, to get my lazy butt out of the house again.

Anyone have any tips for easing back in to working out or even walking? I’m finding that even a short walk can give me a sore hip, sore knees, shin splints, sore feet or any combination of the above. I’m sure I need new running shoes, but it’s still crazy, I used to be able to walk 10+ kilometers last summer and now I can barely walk a few blocks without feeling like some part of my body wants to explode lol.

yes.

4 Likes

Motivation and time are different things.

As for time: if you have a lot of time, join a gym and do an in- depth WEEKLY workout. If you dont have a lot of time, try doing full-body, body- weight exercises at home, 3 days a week.

As for motivation: If you want it, do it. If you don’t want it, then dont. But if you DO want it, but DON’T want to put in the work, then maybe find a friend to do it with. Friends make everything better, and give you comfort in knowing that you can always ask each other for help and advice. “Work as one mind”, sharing things you figure out with each other.

2 Likes

I don’t know your body type, but something sounds really wrong here. Are you feeling this way after not doing ANY exercise for a long time, or is it slowly creeping up on you AS YOU EXERCISE?

If you have been REALLY lazy recently, it may be natural, and go away soon (I’m finding my joint pains slowly leaving me as long as I stay careful). But if it seems like it’s hurting at NO FAULT of your own, I would recommend doing some research, because you may have a specific medical case. Idk.

1 Like

on a serious note,i too am strapped for time,due to work,family etc etc…but i have been cutting out my sugar intake lately,eating healthier and walking alot more to the stores as opposed to driving.The little things,like that,tend to add up after awhile when you dont have the time to hit a gym or cant seem to find the proper motivation.

1 Like

It sounds like your lifestyle changes are working wonders, and thanks for posting this as an example. If you want to take it a step further, In- home “All in one” exercises are great for people who don’t have a lot of time.

I’m not taking that path, so I cant really say any more on that, but that is some consistent info I have read.

Oh yeah, that’s been my problem. :slight_smile:

As fast as I can lose weight, I can gain it just as quickly. I was doing really well last summer, but then I had to have surgery to repair an unrelated issue and it laid me up, got me out of my routine, and I went from exercising a ton to not exercising at all, and that’s basically where I’ve been since last Fall. I kinda sorta hibernated for the winter.

So now I’m trying to get back in to it and my body is resisting a lot. When I was in my 20’s, I could go all out from day one and not have any issues. Sure, I’d be sore for a day or two, but the shin splints, sore hip, feet, knees, etc? Yeah, 37 has not been kind to me so far lol.

1 Like

Best I can say is: Low weight, high reps.

If you find yourself in a situation where you CAN’T build muscle for some reason (injury e.g.) , you can do the same routine but with MINIMAL weight and double reps. This keeps your body use to the motions, and slows muscle loss. And of course, CUT OUT any exercise that aggravates the injury.

I’m currently doing this exact thing to condition my muscles. I use very little weight, so that I can find a “groove” in the routine, and prepare myself for the ACTUAL working out that will happen in 2 weeks.

Why do your wrists feel like there going to explode?
If you have hurt them before, and thats how they make you
feel, your going to hurt yourself.

If you have had injuries in the past and they hurt you now
you need to talk to a doctor and get an ok before you
hurt yourself, and you don’t want that, sometimes injuries
never go away.

Get a personal trainer, or look it up online first.
Take the time out to study first. Or you can easily
injure yourself and that’s not fun.

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to have to do as far as gym-work as well.

As for the walking, which I think really helped speed up my weight loss last year, that’s the more frustrating part, as that seems to be aggravating my knees, feet, shin spints, hip and now ankles apparently.

Guess I just need to start off slowly there as well (and probably get some much better workout and office shoes). I tend to wear shoes until I can’t wear them anymore, and I think my running shoes reached their expiration date. :slight_smile:

I have a question for others…

I follow a schedule like this

“Muscle Building” centric. Low reps high weight, mostly free weights.
Day 1 lower body
Day 2 upper body
Day 3 rest
Day 4 lower body
Day 5 upper body
Day 6 rest
Day 7 rest.

Now, I read that it’s important to “warm up”, and “cool down / stretch”, AND I noticed that my workout lacks cardio, so my solution is to do 10 minutes on a treadmill to break a sweat before every workout, and the same routine after each workout as a “cool down / stretch / loosening up”.

My concern is:

• is a treadmill exercise too strenuous for leg muscles, that it would throw- off my leg recovery?

I don’t want to accidentally throw off my schedule because treadmill exercises throw off my lower body recovery. Am I warming up and cooling down correctly, or should I find another way?

I have not had injury, just weak joints.

I have read that free weight exercises are good for my situation, because they don’t “isolate” single muscles, they work MANY things at once, throughout the workout. That means as I workout, posture, joints, grip strength, and minor muscle groups get constant, light exercise. This should help my joint issues go away, but I have just started, so I can’t say that they have yet.

(I chose my current plan specifically for these reasons.)

some tips for anyone who might like some :slight_smile:

https://zenhabits.net/16-tips-to-triple-your-workout-effectiveness/

You don’t want to spend long hours at the gym, but you want to get stronger, fitter, leaner, and just plain look good. It’s possible that you’re not getting the most out of your workout time.

It’s possible to get a super-effective workout in 30 minutes, and only do a few workouts a week, if you maximize your workouts.

Disclaimer: First, I’m not a certified trainer. These are tips I’ve read elsewhere that work well for me. Second, you should always get a doctor’s approval of any new workout plan. This plan is especially intense, so if you have a heart condition or other condition that might be affected by heavy exercise, you should definitely refrain from trying it until you’ve gotten checked out by a doctor.

And even if you have gotten checked out, or even if you don’t bother doing so, it’s still important to start out an exercise program slowly, until your body has the chance to adjust, or you will face burnout or injury.

Don’t dive right into this program — it’s designed for people who have already been working out but want to see better results, quicker, and spend less time doing it. Here’s how to do it.

Limit your workouts to 30-40 minutes. Though the tendency of some people who really want to get a lot out of their workouts is to spend a lot of time at the gym, the truth is that after 30 or 40 minutes, the benefit isn’t as great. To go that long, you’d have to lower the intensity of the workout, and that means that you’re spending too much time working out. It’s better to work out at a higher intensity for a shorter amount of time.

High-intensity workouts. If you’re just starting out with exercise, it’s best to take it slow. If you’re running or cycling, for example, build up your endurance for at least a month before you get into anything more intense. That means going at a rate where you can easily talk without being out of breath. However, once you have that base of endurance, step up the intensity to step up the effectiveness of the workout.

Protein. Many people don’t pay enough attention to getting the protein their muscles need to rebuild. If you don’t, you are going to get very little out of your workout, as both cardio and strength workouts require protein for building muscles. I recommend either whey or soy protein shakes.

Water. Be sure to hydrate throughout the day. It takes a couple of hours for your body to absorb the water, so you can’t just drink right before exercise. Make it a habit to drink water regularly throughout the day.

Carbs. Although the low-carb craze might say otherwise, carbs are our body’s main source of fuel. If you do intense workouts, you will need carbs, or you won’t have enough energy. If you do a shake, be sure to include carbs — or a banana is a great source of low fiber/high glycemic carbohydrates that you need for exercise.

Shake before and after workout. It’s best to take a protein/carb shake just before your workout and then just after. Taking it before your workout increases the flow of amino acids to your muscles during training, giving them the building blocks they need. After the workout, the shake stimulates muscle growth. Also take a small protein/carb meal 60-90 minutes after a workout — a meal replacement bar would work fine.

Slow lifting. Many people contract their muscles slowly and then release more quickly. But if you lift slowly in both directions, you are maximizing each move. Lift and lower to a 5-second count in each direction.

Heavier weight. When you’re starting out, it’s best to start with lower weights so you can focus on good form. But once you’ve gotten your form down, it’s best to lift the heaviest weights you can lift while still keeping good form. Don’t sacrifice form for heavy weights — that is ineffective. But heavy weights, with good form, can give you better results in a shorter amount of time. Heavy weights are not just for those who want to bulk up — that’s a common misconception.

One set, to failure. Instead of doing 2-3 sets, as many people do, maximize your effectiveness by doing just one, with heavy weights, until you can no longer keep the proper form. Lifting to “failure” doesn’t mean that you should lift the last few times with a wobbly or inefficient form.

Compound exercises. Instead of isolating your muscles with exercises such as the bicep curl, you can maximize the time you spend in a workout by doing exercises that work out multiple muscle groups at once. With just a few exercises, you could get a full-body workout. Another benefit is that your muscles are working together as they do in the real world, rather than alone. Some great compound exercises include squats, deadlifts, good mornings, lunges, pushups, bench presses, military presses, rows, pullups, dips, and more.

Balance lifting. Instead of having exercises where you’re sitting down or holding on to something or otherwise stabilized, it’s more effective to do them standing up, or on one leg, or on a Swiss exercise ball. These types of exercises force you to balance yourself while lifting, which brings your core muscles into play. This gives you a stronger overall body and allows you to lift more over time.

Pick a cardio exercise you enjoy. It’s no fun to exercise if you hate it. And you won’t keep it up for very long. Pick something that’s fun — running, walking, swimming, biking, hiking, rowing, stairmaster, etc. After the initial phase when you’re getting used to exercise, you’ll start to have a blast and look forward to it.

Mix it up. Don’t stick to the same workout routine for too long, or your body will adjust to the stress level and you won’t be getting an effective workout. For strength training, change your routine every few weeks. For cardio, it’s best to cross train rather than, say, to run every time.

Good form. For strength training especially, and swimming, form is very important, but it’s also important for other types of exercise. If you’re strength training, start with lighter weights so you can work on your form. It’s good to have an experienced spotter or trainer who knows good form to help you for the first month or so. Never sacrifice form for heavier weight. For swimming, you’ll need to get a coach to teach you form.

Hills. If you run or bike or walk for cardio, you’ll want to incorporate hills (after the first month or two of doing it at an easy pace on flat ground). These will make you stronger and make your limited workout time even more effective. Take them easy at first, but once you’re used to hills, you can get a good pace going. Either use a hilly route or do repeats on one hill.

Circuits. One mistake that people make is to do multiple sets of the same exercise without rest between the sets. This doesn’t allow your muscles to recover and it’s a waste of your workout. But instead of doing a set, resting, and then doing your second set, it’s more effective to move on to multiple exercises in a circuit, so that you don’t rest between exercises but do rest each muscle group. This will give you a good cardio workout while you do your strength training.

The ideal workout plan
If you take all of these tips into account, the ideal plan would be to alternate 2-3 days of high-intensity strength training with 2-3 days of high-intensity cardio. You could get by with 4 days of exercise if you do them at high intensity.

The high-intensity strength training would be 30-40 minutes of circuit training, with no rest or little rest between exercises within a circuit, and a short rest between circuits if you do more than one. The circuit should work out your entire body, using compound exercises such as the squat, deadlift, pullups, good mornings, etc., and either standing or using a Swiss ball so that you are working out your core. You should use heavier weights, one set for each exercise, doing them slowly (5 second up, 5 seconds down), and to exhaustion, making sure to have good form on each exercise.

You would have a protein/carb shake before and after the workout, and a small meal of protein/carbs within 60-90 minutes of the workout. Water is also important for both types of workouts.

The high-intensity cardio would be something you enjoy doing. You would do interval training, at a rate where you couldn’t talk, with short rests in between intervals. On some workouts, you would incorporate hills.

Remember, these high-intensity workouts are not for people just starting out. You should build up an endurance base before doing the high-intensity cardio, and start the weights with lighter weights, stressing good form.

1 Like

Good point here. I’ve used a personal trainer before, but some are definitely better than others. Some are very good with rehab and getting in tune with how to get back to working something that was either injured or simply unused for a long time.

I’ve had others that are good at showing me exercises, but weren’t quite as good at estimating how much I could handle without hurting myself and since I’m not a fantastic judge of that myself, it could get a little dicey.

I’m always terrible with cooling down, which I’m sure is part of my problem. Warming up for me is stretching. I also have one of those angled trampoline things at my gym that I throw a medicine ball against, plus an arm pull exercise that helps loosen my hips, back, chest, shoulders, and arms.

As far as treadmill goes, I actually avoid it now. I used to go for miles on the treadmill, but when I stopped working out for a long time and then started up again last year, the treadmill was oddly the thing that really gave me shin splints.

I’d recommend looking in to cardio exercises that don’t mess with your legs quite as much, or have a lower impact on them, as treadmill tends to be higher impact on your feet, which in turn radiates through your legs, (muscles, joints, etc).

Not sure if this is an option for you, and I personally hate taking the time, but swimming is actually supposed to be really good for your joints and it’s lower impact, so if your gym has a pool…

If not, try looking up some cardio exercises that don’t put as much stress on your legs. I think there’s plenty of them out there.

Reps beat weight anytime (alot of reps though)
Ive been in extreme sports for
over 26 years, mostly skateboarding, and brasilian
judo, until around 16. I lived in Brazil and its like
culture. Any way skateboarding since I was
6 years old to about 38, my body feels like
im 80. Dont abuse your body, if your in pain
get an ok, and make sure you dont over do it.

1 Like