The "Exercising" Thread!

I have this issue too, and my plan was to start pre-preparing some mid-night snacks for myself.

After you eat dinner, make sure you have food to eat later if you stay up late at night. That way, instead of grabbing something “easy” and unhealthy when you get hungry, you can go grab a sandwich you made for yourself, or pre-prepared leftovers, or fruit, or whatever you like.

What ended up happening to ME was… All this “lifestyle changing” stuff quickly fixed my sleep schedule for me. So i no longer stay up all night and snack. But as long as the snacks are healthy, i dont think there’s anything wrong with late-night snacks. Just do whatever you can to avoid the “lazy” route, which is, grabbing the nearest thing, which is, usually unhealthy unfortunately :\

1 Like

Haha I’m a Jameson and Ginger guy myself. But when I’m being calorie conscious I drink vodka soda as it’s got the least amount of sugar since soda water has no added sugar.

To your point though you gotta find some stuff to snack on to kick those cravings. Get some nuts or fruit to satiate your appetite during those times.

1 Like

I started working out a lot earlier this year…just cardio, kickboxing, girly stuff lol. Im naturally tall and skinny with the metabolism of a cheetah lol

I ended up getting a small hernia that trapped my appendix… so having that surgery and the repair has halted all of that workout activity for a while. Im not sure if it was from the kick boxing or lifting heavy things at work. It could have been a combination of both. What sucks is I was trying really hard and bam, I had to stop.

Whatever you do take it slow and dont expect results over night. But most importantly the diet is what is going to make the biggest difference and make the most out of your results. My diet is there are no rules… except NO FAST FOOD. I cant stand it and I dont trust fast food workers. I wish I could eat a bit better as far as what I eat at home. Im trying , and I get a little bit better each month.

Another one of my best work out sessions is playing drums. If you ever heard or seen Death metal or Black metal style drumming… its insanely fast, technical and an amazing workout. Once it cools off Ill be back out in my warehouse playing drums again.

2 Likes

Yeah I have a very unhealthy tradition of staying up late and consuming junk food (Gummy worms and other candies) and soda while watching late night comedy shows lol I honestly think this habit is the biggest contributor since I really don’t eat all that much during the day, unless I am eating out with friends or something.

That’s a good idea though. I could make extra at dinner then reheat that at night instead of eating crap lol

@DeathBlooms2K8 Nice, I actually don’t mind that myself, I love ginger ale lol And yeah I was thinking about trying that. I have done the assorted nuts before but all the salt makes me want to throw back a soda right after lol I do love oranges and clementines so maybe I could get a bag of those for late night

A few years ago, I gave myself a “just do it” attitude and worked to get fit - it worked!

Over the course of 3 months, I lost 30 lbs. and was consistently getting compliments from friends and family. :slight_smile:

I fixed my diet. No junk, candy, or pre-packaged foods, no sugar, no butter, no salt, and no cheese. I used fruits and vegetables for snack foods, balanced my meals (with a different kind of meat each night of the week - beef, steak, chicken, fish, and pork), drank lots of water and sugar free fruit drinks (orange juice and apple juice were my top choices), and switched to skim milk.

For exercise, I stretched in the shower (being under hot water makes your body more limber and easier to stretch further), and did 2 or 3 30 min. workouts every week with the Xbox 360 Kinect game, “Your Health: Fitness Evolved.” While I didn’t run, at the time I did live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, so I ALWAYS took the stairs.

1 Like

Correction.

ALL KIIIIIIIIINDS OF GAINS

2 Likes

Hey GalacticGeek, did you end up going on that date you mentioned a bit back, before the storm messed up your plans?

Sadly, no. Her mother came to visit, and I’m waiting for her to leave. In any case, that’s off-topic. :wink:

1 Like

I’m so glad you got that reference.

1 Like

As others have said, diet is a pretty big part of controlling the way your body looks. And as someone above mentioned, a lot of that pain in joints type stuff will improve quite a bit once you actually start working out and building those surrounding muscles up. I actually really recommend you start doing that stuff now - if you have pain now in your twenties, I can assure you it will not get any better as you move into your 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s.

I also have a really fast metabolism, so I actually stay in the gym to keep weight on (pescatarian, so not a lot of “bulking” food in my diet). I have a sweet tooth, but almost never drink soda, and don’t buy a ton of junk (yogurt and fruit can be decent late night snacks, for the record). I’m lean, but in pretty good shape, and work out primarily because I’m vain and women generally prefer a man who’s in shape :yum:

My workout below:
10 curls each arm (with a weight you can curl w/o “swaying”)
25 push-ups
25 dips
x3

25 straight crunches
25 push-ups
24 side-to-side crunches
20 shoulder shrugs
24 side-to-side crunches
20 shoulder shrugs
That’s my “standard” workout, done basically like circuit training where I go from one exercise immediately to the next one. It actually doesn’t take very long - maybe 30 or 40 minutes depending on motivation.

My leg day workout is:
15 kettle bell squats (I use 80 lb dumbbells for this)
24 side-to-side jump squats
25 leg curls with a giant exercise ball (works hamstrings)
25 push-ups (hey, I said I was vain :joy:)
x3

25 straight crunches
25 push-ups
1 minute side plank
20 shoulder shrugs
1 minute side plank (other side)
20 shoulder shrugs

And I’ve begun biking 3-4 miles in high resistances as well every other day.

Big thing to remember is that your workout should be tailored for you though, and that workout consistency counts for a lot more than workout intensity. You don’t need to kill yourself working out - just be consistent and do enough to give yourself a good burn. You said the side crunches are a no-go, and until you get your wrists feeling better you’ll probably want to do an alternate form of chest than just mass push-ups, but the above should give you at least some ideas about how you can construct a decent full body workout. You don’t need to pump a ton of iron or anything; a good selection of calisthenics can actually hit most of the areas you said you want to work on.

2 Likes

Regarding the topic.

I am actually going on a lacto-ovo-vegeterian diet for for 30 days. Reason is that one of my favorite foods is Hot Wings, which is incredibly unhealthy. My believe was, hey I will cut down once I feel like it’s starting to hurt me… I didn’t. From weeks to months I have been gorging on Hot Wings as if I was addicted to it, which I actually kind of am.

It hit me a tad harder when I went to do blood work and my results showed that I had Hypertriglyceridemia which is defined as, “a condition in which triglyceride levels are elevated, often caused or exacerbated by uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, obesity, and sedentary habits. This condition is a risk factor for coronary artery disease”.

I sat there thinking to myself, I used to exercise everyday in high school. JROTC meant that I had to keep my body healthy every time we had our PT days on Fridays. I excelled in the presidential test and even held a record for most pull-ups and longest flexed arm hang. Now, I have a Patrick Star gut and am grossly out of shape. I get tired easily, lose focus and almost feel drained all the time.

This diet is the starting point in a healthier lifestyle. I chose it specifically to keep me away from any temptation of Hot Wings which include meats. Along this diet I will pursue my old fitness regiment which was strictly cardiovascular and plyometrics workouts.

I also understand how difficult it is to maintain the motivation, which is why this needs to go further than my word. I need to establish a foundation of consequences should I fail to continue my routine.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry about being off topic…

My mind made a leap from guys wanting to be fit and look good and linking it to girls :sweat_smile: Then your post sprung to mind, anyways, continue on everyone, nothing to see here :sunglasses:

Keep coming back here to report progress and get motivation!

I know i’ll be posting everytime i break my 4 mile record :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

How do you do all that,a job, and be that good at KI? Are you superhuman or something?

Lol. Like I said, the actual workout portion doesn’t take too long. It’s not even an hour if I’m not biking. I do it during lunch at work - we’ve got a gym onsite that I go to.

In high school I weighed 115 pounds and I was able to bench press 240 pounds. I was a strong skinny dude. Now, not so much lol. As a teenager I lifted weights a lot mostly cuz I hated being skinny. These days I no longer care, as long as I’m healthy I’m okay lol

Hey, you beautiful people.

I’ll keep this short, to make sure my embarrassment is reduced as much as possible.

I hurt my foot running. Not by freak accident, but from CLEAR over-working. Im going to give myself 3-5 days of total rest, then start again with a better, more balanced schedule.

If anyone runs as part of a routine, can you please give me some ideas about how create a schedule around running? Should i do it every other day? Take breaks on weekends? Everyday, but shorter runs?

Advice about breakfast before running would be nice, too.

Thanks!

I can’t even run a mile without a break :frowning: My life sucks lel.

I cant either.

I struggle with the whole “run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes” routine.

Im telling you, improvements in running happen fast. Just light jogging can do a lot.

I am sorry but coming from someone who not only had a rough upbringing but also lived under a 2nd degree BB in Kyokushin and Shotokan Karate and having trained myself personally in MA since I was 4 years old along with also joining the U.S. Army as an 11B Infantry soldier I can say with a high degree of certainty this is some BS.

You are saying at the age of sub 7 years old you could do multiple hundreds of push ups? Not only that you have hundreds of trophies in the span of lets say 4 years if you started at the age of 3? If you have exactly 200 trophies from that age that means as a child you entered tournaments every few days to weeks straight for 4 years?

I am sorry but I really cannot believe this unless you are somehow Goten from DBZ in real life.