The Climb Back To Killer Seems Impossible

I think I am very happy with this change in rank. I am trash at this game and lose frequently. I was a Killer. I did that by playing Aganos exclusively up to the level 50. I’m hoping this will keep some good players away from me. I want to play to get as high as I can, but I didn’t feel like I deserved Killer one bit. Hopefully I find more scrubs this way.

I believe the margins do make a difference…I heard James Goddard say if matches " are both in danger zone" when referring to points.

I don’t think margin matters, but quality of opponent does. I went 7-3 and ended up in bronze, but I didn’t fight any Killers (there were zero in existence at the time!) so that alone could explain the difference.

Actually, you’re pretty wrong. It’s far from a fair method to qualify.

I had 8 wins (something like 2 golds, 2 slivers, 2 bronze and 2 qualifiers) and 2 losses against gold > qualified as bronze ( which makes little sense to me. Moreover:

  • I cannot choose what rank to play against, so my qualification is based on pure chance. If a get 10-0 with all qualifiers and bronze I’ll get bronze even if my skill level is much higher.
  • Qualifiers are “Worth” less than bronze, which again, doesn’t make sense when there’s just been a rank reset.

What I’m trying to say is, the qualification process is useless, just make all start bronze and climb their way up to whatever rank they deserve to be in. It’s fun anyway so why bother going through a super random qualification process?

The people making it into killer is slowly getting larger. I checked and there were 153 people in Killer this morning. I think it was just around 30 to 50 when I checked last Friday. It’s slowly normalizing. I made it into Killer this morning and man it was fun getting there. I had less and less cases of guys in Bronze steam rolling over me LOL.

Well, it’s definitely not useless right now - the fact that I made it into Gold is proof of that. Otherwise I would have been stuck mopping up untold numbers of Silvers or Bronzes or whatever climbing.

I do think the process probably gets better as time goes on (there being more higher ranks for you to qualify against), but the concept itself is pretty sound. It really isn’t fun for newer players to just spend days and weeks getting wrecked by people who are, realistically, leagues better than they are. It’s not fun and it doesn’t encourage them to stick around. You want them to be playing people around their skill level as much as is possible, and as the system shakes out that is what will happen more and more I feel.

2 Likes

I’m absolutely loving the increased challenge in ranked. I’m being paired up against some really strong fighters on a regular basis - and each win or loss I take is full of valuable information when I’m playing an opponent of experience.

The climb out of Gold is going to be much rougher than last time - but man will it feel good to finally breach that barrier! :joy:

1 Like

I think there is something to be said that you have a memorable story in your journey to gold.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but the fact that you wish it was different or find it unfair doesn’t make it so. Think about it. It has to be random because matchmaking by its very nature is random, depending on who is currently online (and what their rating and latency to you is). You cannot hard-code rules like 10-0 killer, 9-1 gold etc. due to this fact, you have to take the variance into consideration. This is how matchmaking works in almost any multiplayer game with leagues that’s out there and believe me that it’s a very thought out and long-practiced system that video games have adapted (google “Elo rating system” for starters.

Or let me put it this way. If you think you’ve come up with something better, patent it right now. But you might run it by us here first to see if you’ve missed anything (and I can almost guarantee you have).

On another note, you’re complaining that you had a good record but got qualified into Bronze, feeling that you should have gone higher… then suggest everyone should start in Bronze. The end result is exactly the same, so what’s the problem again?

The challenge with the qualifying rounds is that it’s opaque - people don’t understand very well what’s happening which leads to frustration. Regardless of where you land in qualifiers you should eventually level out where you belong. It has been a bit rough though as all the killers try to fight their way out of bronze. Losing bronze matches, when you know you don’t belong in bronze, to someone else who you know doesn’t belong in bronze, is aggravating.

The same is true for the promotion matches. It’s not even that the system is so terrible (although I am still baffled by the -200 decision) it’s just that it’s unexpected and causes frustration.

These things will all improve over time, but I’m afraid fundamentally we are headed back to the same situation as S2 where we will all be killers again with no shot at top 32 and nothing to play for. We’ll see.

1 Like

Everyone in this game always wants stuff to be easy I mean the game is easy all u have to do is go over ur match ups simple geez this community is seriously always complaining about hard competition

2 Likes

The problem I think the developers where trying to solve with the changes is that the old way looked like a grind, like “eventually” you’ll reach Killer, it’s just a matter of time.

It’s NOT supposed to work that way, that’s why they did the changes and added the requalify option. It’s supposed to work like in SFV, where if you’re just good enough to be in Super Bronze then it’s where you’ll be for a while and to go to Silver you have to actually improve your skills, not just fight over and over and eventually you’ll get there and stay there.

I have the very honest impression that that’s what the devs where shooting for when they originally did the system, but unfortunately (and due to popular demand, proving we gamers sometimes know ■■■■!) they added some grind mechanics to it, like not being able to go down tiers. The original S1 game and the start of S2 allowed you to go down and people complained.

This change seems a quest to balance things. We still don’t go down tiers but it’s also harder to go up. A promotion match is supposed to represent a real effort, not be Gold and have a lucky match against a Qualifier, destroy him and receive an undeserved promotion to Killer.

The thing is that I believe this effort to balance the system is trying to solve a problem the system itself created - the fact you can’t go down tiers. I honestly believe they could balance the points (removing that abrupt -200 for losing a promotion match) and just add demotion to the game (maybe only demoting after 3 loses while with 0 points) and everything would be alright because to KEEP yourself in Killer you would have to be consistent. Right now too many people reach Killer due to a good day of grind where not many “real” Gold and Killers are playing so he just destroys some fake Gold and Killers and becomes himself a fake Killer and the devs are trying to solve this by giving this person just one shot of doing the level up and punishing harshly if you fail.

1 Like

I played Ranked, and got put into bronze. Eye opener, but I’m down for the challenge!

See you guys in Killer!

MFW I lost my first gold promo match and saw that staggering penalty:

2 Likes

Is it that much!?

Oh dear…

Do you even play this game, dudebrohamfriend? I’ve already reached Silver with your character :stuck_out_tongue:

I give it a day before you pass me lol.

1 Like

I’m already silver broham. :wink:

Gold incoming.

1 Like

Yup! Don’t lose your promo matches, or you’ll be set back by at least 4 wins LOL

Ah, an ever-long-standing principle of FGs: “Don’t f**k up!”

1 Like

I don’t doubt it. We’ll see how well I’ve done when the month’s end actually gets here. I’ll make you Kimproud yet!

EDIT: Probably should’ve said “Kimpressed”

2 Likes