Glad to see there is no influx of “OMG guyz I made it to Silver!!!”
#OMG GUYS I MADE IT TO SILVER
Sorry, I got back in Silver this morning, so I had to. ![]()
Not that I’m in any real hurry to get back to Killer or even Gold. I’m just content not being Bronze. If I’m going to look like a Scrub, I at least want to be The Silver Scrub.
Well, I got back to Gold. I have mixed feelings about this. I made it out of Silver with 59 wins and 53 losses. My overall win percentage is about 55%, and I would say that I would be better off staying in Silver except that (as always) I’m either crushing my opponent or being crushed - there doesn’t seem to be much in between.
I lost one promotion fight against a Gold player, a second against a qualifier and then won the third time against a low tier Silver player. It was a Tusk mirror match, and he was good, but nothing like as good as the previous two players I fought in my promotion round. We were tied at the start of the second life bar, but Tusk being what he is I hit him a couple of times and then got a lockout early and did like a 60+% combo, and after that he just sort of panicked. Not exactly my shining moment, although I guess a win is a win.
I will probably wait until tomorrow to check out the best of 3 Gold tier, but I suspect my win percentage will decrease. I’m okay with that, but hopefully the matches are at least competitive. We will see.
Fundamentally, the system is the same as S2 and it’s a question of time for most people. On the plus side, I have played almost exclusively in ranked and my Tusk is at Level 49. So, it’s definitely a fun way to grind up. We will see how much I am enjoying it after I get Tusk level 50. I may well reset and then try to master Kim Wu or one of the other characters. I miss my Glacius too, but I don’t really feel like taking him into ranked. I’m having a good time with Tusk for now.
OMG GUYS I MADE IT TO SILVER!!
The staying up until 3am last night finally payed off. Or maybe I shouldnt have done that and just tried today.
Point is, I made it!! Thanks to those who spared with me and taught me the true meaning of Life, Love, Hate, and KI.
Painkills off to Gold league now!
I lied. I played some gold matches and went 3-2. You gain 30 for beating a gold player and lose 25 for losing to a gold player. This is more like it. It means you simply won’t advance very fast unless you have a solid winning record. I’m good with that. The matches were all good ones (although my two victories were both lopsided - my defeats were close, which I like).
Sadly, Tusk is already level 50, which means I’m throwing away XP again. Oh well. ![]()
Last 10 stat says it all 10-0, crazy!!
Most of those were with Tusk too. I needed a sword.
I will be second. I will make it tommorrow or the day after that.
@BHswordsman09 I’ve seen you play congrats man you deserve it.
Thank you! ![]()
That tusk doe. It’s low sweep or back stab, it feels hopeless playing against Swordsman. I feel like Kim Wu can’t do anything there.
You have a parry. It should work in both situations. I don’t really know how goo that parry is though. lol
I keep forgetting about it. Try not to rely on it because the timing is strict and it usually causes more harm.
Congrats @Painki11s! Like I said - you don’t play like someone who picked up the game last Tuesday ![]()
On a slightly more random/amusing note, I went 7-3 in Qualifiers to place into Gold. I was originally planning to qualify using solely Kim. Found to my chagrin in about my 4th match that she apparently can’t punish Glacius cold shoulder worth a ■■■■, as I tried darn near every button she has. Pushback made the low kicks whiff, and the punch buttons were too slow
In retrospect, perhaps light dragon kick would’ve worked?
In any case, I was super salty about that one, so when my next fight came up @LeoFerreis, I was in no mood to get bodied and played Sako. I managed to eke it out (we’ve gotta run another set sometime Leo - your Aganos is still amazing
) and then went back to Kim. Lost two more matches using Kim, and then right before my final match it said my prospective rank would be Bronze. I had a brief moment of deliberation before deciding “eff it, I wanna at least make Silver” and picking Hisako. I won, and then it put me into Gold.
I actually had the distinct feeling that the system was trying really hard to push me to see how good I actually was. I bodied the first 2 Bronze players they put me up against, and then it gave me a Gold and I beat him as well. Then the Glacius was also a Gold (and goodness knows I really want to run into him again
). Even though I lost they gave me Leo next (Killer), and then another Killer who beat my Kim. That bounced me to a Gold who I beat, then another Gold who I lost to, and then a Bronze who I nearly perfected (jumping Jago not great against Kim - try to stay grounded boys
), and then the final match against a Gold. So my placement to Gold looked like:
- Bronze
- Bronze
- Silver
- Gold - loss
- Killer
- Killer - loss
- Gold
- Gold - loss
- Bronze
- Gold
So kind of interesting how that shook out. I’m curious if your margins of victory have anything to do with it as well. Since that score is demonstrably worse than some of the ones that landed people in Silver (or even Bronze if I recall correctly), clearly the level of the opponents you beat is a big deciding factor. I essentially went 50/50 with Gold and Killer tier players, so maybe that kind of earns you a “eh…he’s probably good enough” pass into Gold?
I highly recommend whiff punishing everything in the Cinder/Kim Wu MU. He tries to throw a pyre bomb? Dragon kick. He tries to trailblaze somewhere? Dragon kick. If Cinder does anything besides walk back and forth like a normal human being (and inferno I suppose), punish that crap with dragon kick. After you ground him and make him afraid to apply pressure, try and get into a space where you’re playing footsies - Kim’s buttons are better than Cinder’s so that’s a fight you can take. If you get caught in his blender, use parry to reset the situation to neutral.
No shame at all losing to Sword though - his Cinder is super legit. ![]()
I have exactly the same feeling.
Between official launch and April 1st, i go Qualifier to Gold in…2-3 hours…
After April 1st, it tooks me 4 days to get back on Gold.
And i really feels that i earn it this time, because at almost every match, i learned something, and it was an great opponent (except 2-3 peeps who just lag horribly, and one especially that i clearly doubt he had a lag switch).
I just love it man! Now killers are real killers, I Always felt it was too easy before. I assume real killer won’t use the reset, just cuz it will take so much time to get back to the top.
The only thing I don’t get is how the qualifiers work… why with 8-2 (2 lossess against gold) it puts you in bronze… doesn’t make any sense. That means 9-1 gets you in silver and 10-0 gets you in gold… it’s F…ed up!
No, it doesn’t, it’s your mind trying to make things black and white. In any reasonable matchmaking system, your win ratio doesn’t really matter as much as who you defeated and who defeated you to get there. Example: if you go 9-1, but you only beat bronze players lower than you and you get beat that one time by a bronze player lower as you as well, there’s no way you’re going anywhere other than bronze.
Very sound analysis…
