The Climb Back To Killer Seems Impossible

Heh. Not so sure about that…the Aganos MU is so specific and unique that pretty much the only lesson you learn from fighting him is (perhaps) how to fight him. :smirk:

Well, that and “don’t jump” :joy:

You know, I have to come back to sympathize with this a little bit for the following reason.

I am gold I played 3 matches just now against 3 gold ranked players in the same bracket of gold as I am. I won all 3 with 2-0 in my favor and only got 30 points or less for each win. I lost one after these and lost 25 points. Up to this point I was gaining 50 points or more facing those at my level and some even higher or lower but now 30 points wtf? It is going to take so many matches to get 1000 points and then win my promotion match.

I am salty about the amount of points I am getting for winning against those in my rank but at the same time I am happy about it because this means the people who really do not deserve to be in Killer will possibly never get there so when I see a Killer I know it is going to be a fierce battle.

Would love my 50 points per win back please or just take less from loss… if not oh well :smile:

Okay, wow…

So someone who dedicates YEARS to playing this game shouldn’t get rewarded just because they’re not among the top 32? Please…

Conversely, someone could be a natural, play this game for only a month, get into top 32, never play it agian, and yet they will be remembered and recognized for the lifetime of the game?

There’s something wrong there, I think.

Just because someone’s not among the best doesn’t mean that we should ignore the hard work and dedication that they put into this game.

That being said, I honestly forgot that their was an achievement tied to reaching killer (after all, there’s so many for KI…). That’s actually what I was talking about in regards to what I wanted if the system stayed as is, and ironically it was already there, and after weeks of making this argument, you are the 1st person to bring it up. Sometimes, I’m genuinely shocked with things like this. Why didn’t anybody mention that sooner when I brought it up weeks ago? It would’ve saved a lot of headache for everyone. :expressionless:

1 Like

You should have just taken a screenshot, or a selfie or something.

1 Like

That’s what I did when I hit the top 95 spot. :slight_smile:

So close, and yet so far… SIGH

Is there an achievement for that? if so, maybe that can be your proof?

That’s the idea. I’ll have a look just in case he’s pulling my leg, but I doubt it, since he’s a moderator and all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, Gold took a bit longer than last time, but it was far from impossible. Gold was also more challenging, both naturally because of the 2/3’s, and artificially because of the reduced variance at the moment.

I think some of you are disappointing yourselves with your mindset. I don’t think your goal should just be to “get to Killer”. If it is, then you’ll probably be one of those guys three weeks from now who says, “I made it into Killer and I don’t want to push for Top 32, so what’s the point?” I’m stealing this from Keits’ philosophical Twitter rants - “The Journey IS the reward”. If it’s really tough for you to reach Killer, then great! Reaching your goal is actually significant and the progress you make towards it is more fulfilling.

4 Likes

You’re twisting my words. The point is that someone who plays a little bit at a time over a really really long period can eventually get into Killer. They’re rewarded with the achievement and the playercard for that, unless there is eventually a reset or they choose to reset.

Someone who plays heavy for a single month as a Killer and makes Top 32 deserves the star, and deserves to keep it, because it’s a different type of accomplishment entirely.

Since you want to use metaphors about this, think of it this way. If we both take martial arts, we can both make it to the Black Belt rank, or equivalent. Let’s say you rise up really fast, whereas I take a year to get there. We both have completed the same tests, and both have the belt to show for it. But if you’re also competing in tournaments and I’m not, you are also getting a physical trophy (the star), which I’m not entitled to even if I’ve put more time into training than you have, simply because I’m not competing and placing in tournaments.

You know you were a Killer, reset or not. But like I said, nobody’s going to go looking up back stats or records on you unless you’re specifically pointing them in that direction, so all that should matter to you is that you know you were in Killer.

For the record, the achievement is called “Natural Born,” and you unlock it for reaching the Killer tier. There is no achievement related to Top 32.

2 Likes

The irony here is that once they have it, they can lose it the same way… SIGH

There was a reward for longtime players in the season 1 to 2 transition. People got like an icon with a martial arts belt on it indicating they were season 1 players. I’m surprised nothing was added for season 3 that was similar, or maybe I just don’t know about it.

As for killer being a reward, I don’t see it as such. Killer is a rank that indicates the level of skill a player has or at least that what I think it should be. Currently it sounds like it’s exactly that. Basically it’s their symbolism for trueskill rating or whatever ratings other games have. It’s just visual and not a number. I’ve never seen anyone argue that they deserve 5000 true skill rating because of how long they’ve been playing.

I believe MK does both they have experience levels which are simply gained through playing over time and they have a skill rating based on win% and the players you’ve won against.

Proving that every Killer is treated the same way with regards to their ranking tier. Play one game a month and you stay a Killer, end of story. I’m not particularly interested in starting that discussion all over again, too.

In the end, if you want the shiny Killer card, work your way up again.

I used to have these myself, from my play in Season 1, but had a data loss drop me back at a time when I had a couple of characters up to 20 or so at a time when the top character level was 30. It was pretty frustrating at the time, and I did lose those icons, but I was never committed enough to them to try to re-enable them through DH/IG.

I remember those icons. I got the 2nd best in both categories for S1 (a gold KI medallion and whatever color was the 2nd best for the Yin-Yang symbol - I don’t recall which I have and will have to look it up). I still hate knowing that you can’t ever earn the other emblems (higher or lower) and that those who adopted the game late will never have the opportunity to earn them either.

Regarding what you said about killer status though - I agree that it should be a measure of skill. The problem, however, is that while it can be used to certainly gauge a modicum of skill, it can’t do so accurately. The idea that you can lose your killer status over time, but still play the game every day (just not in ranked) and never actually get worse skill-wise is proof of that. The very idea that you can purposefully derank yourself by requalifying is even more proof. There was even further proof in S2 with a lot of players reaching killer status only to get creamed because they weren’t ready for that level of play, which is why the requalifying option even now exists in S3.

Rank ≠ Skill.

…but people seem to think that’s the case.

I had to. You set that up so perfectly.

1 Like

This seems to be a complete counterpoint to all of the posts regarding why it’s important to keep a Killer playercard or not to be deranked for inactivity in Ranked play.

2 Likes

That’s why I’ve decided to stop calling it a rank. You may notice that in my last post or 2 I’ve started calling it “killer status” instead.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Yes, yes it is. Notice no one has made the “I made it to Killer post” this go around! lol

As of Saturday or Sunday afternoon there were only 56 Killers in the leader boards. And the #1 spot had less than 1800 points.
So I believe the points deduction for a loss is much greater than before. Like Andy and a few others experienced a 200 point loss for loosing a promotion match.

ill hit it very shortly, im very confident of it. then after i do, ill go back to raiding lounges and slay there instead to start breaking my bad habits on the stick and with my fighting. also gotta level up my manual stuff, get re-acquainted with sadira, etc. got work to do

My thoughts? I don’t mind. I am at 500 something points and with some more time,I will reach Killer. Playing ranked is something I do often.