The Climb Back To Killer Seems Impossible

yeah lot of killers are in bronze, myself included. bear with me to any i run into, i am trying to speed level my way out of it. i ended up in bronze because my record was 7-3. i had 3 losses because 1 guy got lucky and i dropped something, the other 2 because of awful lag that i wasnt able to go in 100%. its really ugly when your opponent has like 0 frame attacks and you cant react LOL.

2 Likes

You’ve been ringing this same bell for a couple weeks now. You were a Killer last season, and so was I.

But you’re not right now, and won’t be until you reach the rank again. Until you do, you’re not entitled to any indication you were ever in Killer, besides having the unlocked achievement as proof. You just want the shiny Killer card to be able to show off with; which is fine, but don’t pretend it’s anything else, either.

Top32 stars needed to stay, because the amount of time and skill required to get a star (without exploits) is immense. You can reach Killer over a period of years if you’re playing really slowly or aren’t very good. You have exactly one month to gain points towards Top32, and then they’re wiped away forever. We’re talking two very different things here, even though they both involve Killer rank.

And I hate to break it to you, unless you TELL someone you are/were a Killer and direct them to a leaderboard, NOBODY is going to go looking for your record.

5 Likes

is it really that hard to reach killer? i think its doable in a week even with the 2/3 set up gold now has. whats making it hard is all of us killers are climbing the ladder again. thats all

1 Like

It will definitely be a grind to get back to Killer now. I qualified into silver- primarily because I had to face the same Pro Star ‘gold’ guy two times in a row while qualifying and lost both times. That’s BS in my opinion. But I’ll make it back to Killer within a week or two given my work schedule.
I had to roll my eyes a few days ago when I faced EVO 2nd place finisher, Gutter Magic who was BRONZE and took more than a few points off of me. Thanks bud!:thumbsup:

I can’t understand some people here.

First of all, this is not like the ranked leagues premiere in s2. RL came in a patch were they included: changes in some (not all, never a rework on any of them) characters, and a new character. The game in the moment RL got live was pretty much the same as before.

It’s not the case here. In s3 ALL characters recieved changes, and we have now 4 new chars. Also, this is a Pc launch too, so there are a lot new players, both “casuals” and “pros” who didn’t have a xbox but they adapted quickly. With the ranks reset, all killers got to qualifers too.

Results:
1-In your way to killer, you may find easily people who was aiming to the top 32 regulary. You can avoid this waiting one or 2 weeks, so the better players are set in their rank
2-The system got a lot of changes, so we arent so familiar with new chars, flipout, stagger, balance changes… you can avoid this labbing your char and playing exibition

I was a day 1 killer in s2. With Aganos (a new character). And it was VERY easy. I’m no pro player at all, many of you have defeated me without problem. But I found the road to killer… dissapointing.

Now, I started my road to killer in s3(started yesterday). Made it to silver, got to gold before losing 3 promotions (ouch), and now I’m sitting in about 500 gold points. I faced killers, bronzes, silvers… and its fine!! I deserve my loses and earned my wins, so I try to not look at my opponent range, but their lvl.

Killer tier its only cosmetic, not a “right” we deserve. It should be hard to get. It should be a challenge.

At the end, there is a sure way to be killer: be better than your rivals. So if anybody it’s finding it difficult… maybe should they improve?

3 Likes

Man, I’m at the end of Bronze, and it’s weird looking at Silver and Gold players as higher ranks again. :sweat_smile: Thing is, since the reset happened, I KNOW people who are already back in Gold or Silver by the first few days are generally a serious threat, at least to me.
Though I think that I’m content to sit in the lower ranks until I truly earn it. Besides, I know the ranks are a little screwy right now. You can definitely tell when someone was a Killer before just by their playstyle. I’m torn between wanting to brave the murky waters in search of fresh prey when there could be a much bigger fish, even in the shallow end.

I was only stating that I feel the points you receive should reflect your opponent a little better.

I mean, I’m not sure how it works in Killer now, but it used to be possible to receive 500 to a 1000 pts if you won against someone well above you. Here I am in Gold, which is fine I as I am okay with the climb, but I only received a little over 100 pts for beating the 4th ranked Killer? Dude was an entire tier above me and top 32.

2 Likes

I had a really frustrating experience with ranked last night, mostly of my own doing, but frustrating nonetheless.

I’ve only been playing since PC release, but I felt like I had learned alot and was… sorta decent. When I first did the ranking before the reset, I was set to land near silver, so I figured it would be much the same after the reset. You know where it goes from here…

I began playing ranked yesterday at around 6pm. I shot up in points reasonably quickly and made my first placement match to silver at around 8. I lost and lost my 200 points but it was okay, I was confident I could hit silver before the night ended.

I ran into some gold ranks and got bodied, but what annoyed me was that I kept running into pro star (even 4 pro stars) players, especially during my promotion matches. I understand that promotion match should be exciting and challening, but I’m a bronze player… what am I doing playing Killer / pro stars?

I kept at it, grinding up to 1000 points and losing my promotion match, sometimes by a sliver of health that they only kept because, in my excitement, I pressed the HP button instead of the triple punch button. A loss nonetheless, but it felt so cose that I had to keep trying.

In the end, I played for over 9 hours and was unsuccessful. Ranked climb is hard. I went to bed at 3am and woke up at 5:30am for work.

■■■■ you ranked leagues.

■■■■ you KI for being so addictive.

1 Like

Having a rough time climbing through gold with Rash, I’ll go on a decent win streak and then “oh, haven’t played this match up yet… wtf is going on? I forgot about these new moves!” It’s so tempting to just switch to my main and get it over with but i refuse! I want to prove to myself that I’m a good all around player and not that i just rely on the strength of a character. (Plus she’s currently broken with that hk bug and i know i won’t be able to resist abusing it if i pick her.)

1 Like

I guess I shall pose the question, “Regardless of rank, why shouldn’t you play against players of superior rank?” I understand it being a problem if you’re Bronze and you’re regularly getting matched up against Killers, as practically all the time. However, considering you’re playing ranked matches, why should you get the choice of your opponent? If you intend to rise through the ranks, you are going to have to play superior opponents at some point anyways; learn what you can from the experience now.

3 Likes

This, 100%

Ranked isnt gentle. Its like going to EVO in sf and get your first match against Daigo. Well it sucks, but somebody has to face him!

2 Likes

I will debate this so hard, and you know it.

2 Likes

I’ve never played @oTigerSpirit myself, but I completely understand the feeling. I made it to Killer once, and that feels like an accomplishment. I know I was up there, even if I was scrubbier about my Killer play than an extra-heavy-duty sponge.

My Ranked Challenge may keep me out of Killer for a very long time, particularly because I plan to reset each time I start a new character on the Challenge. If I never make it back to those lofty heights, I’m OK with that.

4 Likes

Okay here is some food for thought.

What if you look at it this way. You earned your killer rank at that time. Your skill was based on the skill level of players at that time. As the game matures, more tech is found, players level up and get better with practice etc. the skill ceiling increases. I’d argue that the player you are now is better than the player you were a year ago despite the fact you were likely killer then. As such it stands to reason if you go MIA and do not keep up with the “meta” you no longer keep up with the skill curve. As such you are ranked down in order to compensate.

Personally I’m really hopeful for this new system. I was really disappointed with the fact that I made killer so easily in Season 2 knowing how bad I performed against top tier players. It seems like bronze, silver were basically the same. Gold were pretty bad players who understood that you could combo break and end combos and Killer was anything from amazing pros who know the frame data, setups and traps. And heavy auto crossup Jago’s who abused some terrible gold tier players to limp into Killer. If I’m only good enough to be in Gold that’s fine with me. I rather have that than some meaningless season 2 Killer rank.

Hm. While I’m generally unsympathetic to the complaints about the Ranked grind (in particular the complaint that there should be some badge for “highest rank achieved”), I actually agree with @Painki11s particular issue. While it’s fine to run into players who are better than you, particularly in Ranked, it is a little silly that you would repeatedly run into Top 32 Killers in your promotion match to get out of…Bronze.

The purpose of the promotion match requirement is that you should be able to beat someone who is equivalent or better than you by the metrics of the KI ranking system. It’s essentially a declaration that you are capable (worthy) or competing at a higher level of the game. The question that is being asked is “is this player good enough to compete in Silver?” It’s not “is this player good enough to compete in Gold?”, or “is this player good enough to be a Killer?” Losing a promotion match to get to Silver to a Killer tier player is irrelevant to whether or not the player is capable of competing in Silver, because at base, most of the competition in Silver is not capable of beating that same Killer.

So yeah, while I’m not overly sympathetic to the complaint about it being difficult to progress in the S3 Ranked system generally, I do think that promotion matches to get to the next level should more heavily prioritize finding someone in the tier you’re actually trying to get into. You not beating a Killer player in a promotion match means you’re not ready to be in the Killer tier, not that you’re not ready to be in Silver or Gold.

4 Likes

The climb will be hard for a while because there’s a lot of good players trying to rise up to their normal levels. Over time it will get easier, as the terrific players make it to Killer, then the great players, then the good players. Eventually, though it will start to get hard again as all the less dedicated players drop off and the population falls down. My guess is next week will be the time to advance…

In any case, as aggravating as it can be (and no one gets more salty losing ranked matches than I do, in the comfort of my own home), a little perspective helps. I was around level 19 in the S1 ranked system - so just about halfway up the ranks. I never made 20 before they switched it. When S2 started, I figured I would be a silver player and hang out there, grinding matches. My initial placement was bronze, I flew through it, worked through silver quickly, and then spent a little bit of time in gold before finally making it to Killer. History has repeated itself as I got placed in bronze, blasted through it and it looks pretty clear that I will get through Silver, even though I lost my first advancement match last night. It’s only a matter of time. All you really need is a 50/50 record and you will rise to the promotion match. Seems like Gold will be harder this time, which is fine by me.

Sure, I understand all that and why it’s frustrating. However, many of the pros/Killers people are pitted against are no longer ranked Killer at this time. They will be again most likely, but as far as the system is concerned now they aren’t.

I doubt most people are unlucky enough to draw an “ex-Killer/pro” in their promotion match more than once or twice, let alone a current Killer.

I think the only thing that IG perhaps could have done that has been suggested is start the pro star players off in Gold instead of putting them in qualifiers and such. I understand that there’s this notion that, that may not be fair to them if they’re picking up a brand new character. But realistically speaking the players who got pro stars are very good and pick up characters quickly, they may not be able to top 8 them in a tournament but they can beat the vast majority of players just on fundamentals and sound execution.

I mean my buddy matched up against ctyles aganos 3 times in qualifiers.

I love it. Great matches at gold level. Still working to get into killer.

I agree many top 200 players are going to make some low tier salty but it will balance out.

I love that best of 3 includes gold now.

That’s OK. Your buddy can learn a lot from @CStyles45. :slight_smile: