Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

That doesn’t actually satisfy anyone, that just gives people a focus for their complaining.

1 Like

LoL… only if they find out. Its not really a Deception if Everybody knows its a trick.

I don’t think you know what it means to be satisfied. XD

1 Like

Tomb Raider wasn’t an exclusive, was it? I know the first one appeared on Saturn as well. I don’t know, doesn’t really matter. I think with Sony, the track record is that they’ve always found a way. In the PSone era, they had a virtual stranglehold on a lot of Japanese publishers, especially Namco, Squaresoft and Konami. In the PS2 era, they largely still had a hold on Japanese publishers, but were still able to add new IPs like Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Kingdom Hearts, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, etc.

While I prefer their PSone lineup, one could make the reasonable argument that Sony was at its best during the PS2 era.

I think the PS3 era was arguably their worst, yet they still had some solid new additions like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Ni No Kuni, Heavenly Sword, Beyond: Two Souls, Motorstorm, etc. Again, NOT their strongest era. Especially considering the fact that they did lose a lot of exclusives such as Tekken and MGS.

Still, I think some Japanese developers and publishers favor Sony to a certain extent. Or maybe MS simply isn’t interested in certain titles like Yakuza, Disgaea, Ni No Kuni, Persona, etc. Either way, I still see whole genres more or less neglected by MS that Sony still does rather well and I think that’s an important advantage for Sony.

Let me put this in the proper context though. I don’t believe that PS4’s exclusives are as strong as PS1 or PS2’s. I still see that as more of their golden era regardless of PS4’s gaudy sales numbers. So while their track record might not be as great as it once was, I still think that all things considered, it’s pretty great.

The PS3 was a bit of a downer in some ways, but I think they’ve made up for it with PS4. Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, God of War, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy, Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman, Killzone, Infamous, Yakuza, The Order, Street Fighter V, Drawn to Death, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Driveclub, Gran Tourismo, MLB: The Show, Last Guardian, Guilty Gear Xrd and BlazBlue: Central Fiction, Gravity Rush, Detroit, remasters of Shadow of the Colossus and The Last of Us, with TLoU2 on its way…

Some of those might not appeal to you, but that’s still a great list of exclusives from first party studios as well as studios that seem rather enthusiastically loyal to Sony, if history’s any indication.

Meanwhile, MS’ XB1 list looks like:

Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest, Halo, Halo Wars, Halo MCC, Gears, Forza and Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising, Super Lucky’s Tale, ReCore, Quantum Break, D4, Cuphead, with Crackdown 3 on the way… Am I missing anything of note?

Regardless of quantity, which Sony has, I’d argue they also have just an overall crop of better titles from top to bottom. Please know, I’m not biased toward Sony. If anything, I might be a little biased against them since they basically squashed the Saturn (my first system) and the Dreamcast (probably my favorite overall system). I own a PS4, XB1 and most recently a Switch. So I’m not coming at this as a Sony fan trying to prove their superiority.

All I’m trying to say is that while Sony might not be the powerhouse of exclusives they were in the PSone and PS2 eras when they had a massive majority of Japanese publishers and devs on their “team,” they still have a substantial advantage in that regard over MS and they still have an advantage in terms of publishers / devs that are loyal to them for the most part, such as Naughty Dog and Insomniac to go along with a substantial slew of actual first party studios that MS is only really beginning to match in terms of quantity and quality.

I really want MS to succeed with their new studios and I really hope to see them pumping out hits. I also hope to see them adding more great studios in the future. But even right now, as it stands, I’d personally put Sony on a higher level in this regard and disagree with the idea that MS is on equal footing in this regard, but that’s just me.

Unmitigated disaster? Yeah it was in development purgatory for what felt like a century, but it still turned out pretty well and scored in the 8 range, not that reviews are a whole lot to go by. I played it a decent amount and liked it. I didn’t love it, not nearly as much as Ico, but an unmitigated disaster? Nah. You make Trico sad when you say such things lol.

Didn’t they have Alan Wake’s American Nightmare as a sort of spin off to the original Alan Wake? I know it was only downloadable, but I think they could tell a lot more stories in worlds that are similar in style with that character. Maybe “franchise” isn’t the right word to describe it, but maybe more like a potential franchise?

I think that’s the case with a lot of MS games though. Crimson Skies, Lost Odyssey, Kameo, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Blue Dragon… I could keep going, ad nauseum, but I’ll spare you since this is already way too long. Sorry about that! Point being that MS has a ton of great games in their library that have never received sequels. Games that absolutely could’ve become franchises and perhaps should have.

Yes. Hadoken. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Satisfied… the illusion of satisfaction… its all the same. :wink:

I totally Agree !!!

1 Like

But it’s not even that.
That would mean that the players who complain would think that they got what they wanted. But that’s not the case, since they are still complaining! They are just complaining about a more focused topic.

I mean Sony is doing great at video games obviously. I admit, I’ve never really been hugely into their platforms although I owned both Ps2 and PS3 (no PS4 yet and Spider-Man is my only temptation). But I have a hard time how a game ten years in the making that was so clearly cancelled (which Sony lied about) and then resurrected looking exactly like the last gen effort it was and then was the most mediocre game in the trilogy of excellent games by Team Ico is anything other than a disaster. It sold 1.25 million units. Which is okay - about half of that was sales the day it came out so I don’t think word of mouth sold many units. Which suggests the user base is less impressed than critics. If MS had pulled that ■■■■ it would still be the only thing anyone was talking about…

Also… Shoryuken!!

1 Like

Personally, I never really cared how long it took for the game to come out. I loved Ico, but never really bothered with Shadow of the Colossus, as it didn’t really look all that appealing to me. I get that being cancelled and resurrected, moving from PS3 to PS4, and that looooong dev cycle are all huge red flags, but at the end of the day, I only really care about the finished product.

To me, the finished product was good. Did it wow me with it’s graphics? Not really. I thought it looked fine. Somewhere between a PS3 and PS4 game. But I was mainly playing for the connection between the characters and figuring out how to keep going through and getting to the next area. I think it earned it’s solid, though not earth shattering review scores.

I also think that 1.25 million sold is respectable. As much love as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus get from the gaming press, neither of these games are massive system sellers. It’d be like calling the movie Nebraska a failure because it didn’t do as well at the theater as the 50 super hero movies that came out that year.

I think the people that like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were more likely to buy the game day one, and I honestly think that group isn’t overly massive. Everyone else? Well… If you’ve never heard of the previous games or never played them or had any desire to play them, I don’t see why this game would be the one to change your mind or get you hyped enough to buy day one.

I do agree though that if MS had a game like this, that went through the development hell that this game went through and it came out as roughly a 7.5 to 8.0 game, I know they’d catch way more flak for it. No question. We’d still be hearing about it.

PSYCHO CRUSHER!

1 Like

Then you need a better Trick…

Look I’l be honest… pulling a fast one over Fighting Gamers is highly unlikely but its the only way.

LoL… I need a Glove to play Blanka… specifically I need a glove to do his Electricity Special from Crouching Medium Kick and Forward Dash…

Gonna pick one up next week maybe… I don’t know… I have to find the right one. Not just any old Glove will do…

edit:
In The mean time I have Ken and Laura…

You know what bugs me about these Characters… Its The One Hit Confirms… Ken is basicslly 60% One Hit Confirms so I can only play him on my monitor and even then there are three Of his One Hit Confirms I can NOT do… Stand Fierce into V-Skill, Low Forward into Fierce SRK… and Low Forward into CA… Low Forward into Light Tatsu seems doable but I’l have to try it on The TV to see if its a legit option for me.

I feel like Ken is Un-Mainable… just because the confirms are dependent on so many things. Even with a low lag setup I can still miss confirms if I’m mildly Sleepy…

And thats where Laura Comes in… now with Laura its abit tricky but Her one hit confirms can be done on the TV… except for confirming Thunder Clap into one of her normals… that I struggle with… but I think I found a way around that using her V-Skill… I’l have to practice it first.

LoL… I’ve been slowly trying to wheen myself away from Cammy… shes good but I feel like when Capcom drops the nerf hammer on her its going to hurt like a mutha… Better to rip that band aid off right now. That plus shes really not all that fun… I had to take her out of Rotation.

And if all else fails… I’l always have Ryu… TV/Monitor, Regular Pad/Fight Pad… its all good with Ryu… He’s just Solid.

Edit 2:

Ladies and Gentle… I… Lulu Von Luluson… here by declare that Falke’s Standing Hard Punch is NOT a hit confirm. That is all… thank you !

So… Ryu…

I mean… this is fine… it might make him viable, Strong Even… but he would still have the issue of being too similar to Akuma.

Ryu needs something that he can call his own and it needs to be really dirty… none of his special moves are going to cut it… V-Skill would be a nice start… then we can start looking at his normals… also extending the hitbox on Donkey Kick would be nice… the only thing more annoying than a character that struggles to get in is a character that struggles to get in and have their combo fall apart anyway even if they do land a hit.

That’s the problem with Ryu. Remember how we were saying that Street Fighter is the basic, and every other fighter is a variation of it. Well, within Street Fighter, that’s Ryu. He’s the basic one and every other character was built around and after him. It’s hard to make him anything other than a beginner character.

2 Likes

But Ryu is an awful Beginner character… even at launch. You could get more out of R. Mika and Cammy using significantly Less Effort.

LoL… I feel like SFV is just a dirty game overall… theres no room for someone whos got no shenanigans… hence why Crazy Kens can go a whole lot further than Solid Ryu’s…

I mean… some people have tried to find dirty setups with Ryu but nothing he can do even with Meter or Trigger is scarier than Mika standing next to you in the corner or Cammy’s Shimmy.

As much as I might want a Season 4 for this game, i’d be just as happy if they just ended it to focus on something else. A new multi-plat Street Fighter, a new Darkstalkers, or a new Marvel vs. Capcom. Probably first Darkstalkers than SF and MvC after the Xbox OneY and PS4 Super-Pro come out.

1 Like

How about Lost Planet 4 ?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Capcom has alot of departments. Street Fighter V’s development didn’t impact the creation of Mega Man 11 or Devil May Cry 5. Lost Planet 4 could happen regardless of Street Fighter’s state of affairs.

1 Like

LoL… maybe that’s SFV’s problem… perhaps there was some interdepartment confusion that made SFV the way it is today.

I would love to see that more realistic-designed street fighter that was canned between 4&5-
but had its era been tinged with a sour taste as this one, maybe it’s for the best

The character models and stages that were conceptually offered were close to SoulCalibur level

1 Like

Yes! Please! I’d love an SF game with a realistic astetic. Just something to give the game a new visual style.

1 Like

If only… :frowning_face:

Edit:
LoL… you know whats so silly about Ryu’s V-Triggers… VT1 is weak because It doesn’t last long and the V-Cost is too high… meanwhile VT2 suffers from The Exact opposite problem… The Lengthy V-Timer on VT2 is actually a Liability. And The Trigger Cost is entirely way too low.

You can actually buff VT2 by making it worse than VT1.

1 Like