Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

No

Is blocking difficult? No, is just a single button.

Do you block every single reactable move? No.

Do you fail because is hard? No, you fail because you are taking a lot of choices in seconds, so sometimes you can’t process correctly the info and fail

Hahahahaha

No

You are the one making excuses

“This input is difficult, so I want it easier, so I don’t fail to do it.”

It could be a button and you(generic you) would still fail it sometimes.

6 Likes

Actually since SFV’s training mode is a huge improvement (better than KI’s even)… you can simulate those so called “Other Factors”… you can’t Simulate all of them but you can set up 5 at a time.

Would you rather I suffer in Silence ?

Bring It !!! :smiling_imp:

As I said Earlier, in Fantasy Strike they are one button and are more consistent. If what you is true then why not just do that ? The controls are suppose to be simple anyways.

You can’t

You can’t simulate human behaviour in the training room. You can record a brief, looped human behaviour which will repeat endessly, but you can’t create randomness in anything but blocking

You don’t have to suffer nothing in silence, but you can’t say to others “you are making excuses” when they are not and your argument doesn’t take in all factors , hence making your argument poor=an excuse

I(read: we) have no problem about talking about any topic, and you can bring all your worries here without hesitation, but if you(generic you) are wrong in some point of your think proccess, I will point it out, since then your vision could be flawed, hence separating you from true understanding

I never said that controls should be more simple or complex(for the record: I suffered an accident which severly damaged my arm, making it harder for me to do some stuff like shoryukens for a while). I just pointed out that a lot of people who believe that simple controls would make FGs more accessible are plain wrong, since they believe that the execution is the hardest difficulty for newcomers, when it’s the easiest to overcome. Developing reads, learn how to respect frame data, anti airing, damage optimization, meter management, are harder to master lessons which are present in all FGs.

Fantasy Strike may not the FG “savior” which many people are thinking. It’s ok to like it, it’s ok to like it’s premise. But that doesn’t make it good or meta changing per se. Time will tell. For now, I’m not interested

3 Likes

Seems Random Enough… it even simulates true randomness by having clusters.

Neither does yours… incase you haven’t noticed… Difficulty and Stress are not mutually exclusive… infact they influence each other. Trying to anti-air on top of being aware of other options is difficult… ontop of that is the execution of complex inputs that have to been quickly. Difficult things can makes things stressfull and stress can make things difficult…

As far as I see it… you’re the one who isn’t taking in all the factors.

Right back at ya.

WRONG. The misconception is that Lowering the Execution Barrier will make a Fighting Game more popular… this is what people normally think… and its debateable whether this is True or not… but I have a different thread for that.

Lowering the execution of anything is the exact definition of Accessibility (well obviously not exact but you know what I mean). I don’t even know if I can explain this because its obvious and axiomatic that it basically explains itself… like me saying Ice is Slippery. How in the world can you honestly believe that execution is not a factor of accessibilty ? Its probably the Primary Factor, and in the case of Fighting Games its the Bottle Neck that will essentially determine whether or not you’l be playing a Specific Fighting Game.

All of which are near useless if your execution is inconsistent… this is why I say the Execution is a Bottleneck… not just in fighting games but in all siuations of life. The reason it doesn’t come up in all situations is because we root it out and make everything as easy to execute as possible… this is why Steering Wheels are round… not Trianglular or Square… Fighting Games (& DMC4) do the exact opposite, They deliberately make Execution more difficult… so much so that its a Bottle Neck… I know I’m repeating myself but like I said… I don’t even know if I can break it down further.

Developing Reads

Mix Ups and Setups that are intended to seem ambiguous and Unreactable can require anywhere alil bit to alot of execution… particularly for Characters like Ibuki or Zangief… even R. Mika’s Nadeshiko shenanigans aren’t exactly easy to execute.

Anti Airing

DP’s & Flash Kicks are obviously difficult to execute… yes Flash Kicks are not just difficult to time but also to execute… yes I know it sounds ridiculous but trying to do Raw Flash Kicks have resulted in accidental jumping Kicks despite holding :arrow_down: for a full 5 seconds. That being said Low or Back Fierce Anti-Airs are easy… and less usefull depending on the character.

learn how to respect frame data.

This isn’t suppose to require execution… and 90% of the time in most Fighting Games it doesn’t… but Frame Data determined by execution does creep up in the Strangest Places… in Street Fighter’s case… its The Instant Air Lightning Legs/Cannon Strike, technique. I don’t even think Capcom wanted them to be difficult at all… they just wanted to get rid of the ridiculousness that was Cammy’s 1 inch high Cannon Strike Abuse from Street Fighter IV… and they succeeded. The unintended consequence of the (Character & Move Specific) Height Restriction in Street Fighter V has made These air specials difficult execute… it seems like they didn’t factor in how the Input Buffer would affect these moves (Typical Capcom Mistake)… hence trying to go for an Air Special (for the obvious Frame Advantage benefits), has become needlessly high execution based. While Chun Li and Akuma have other Traits that make them viable there’s literally no point in playing Cammy or Dhalsim if you can’t do their Air Special right on the Height Threshold, it defines them almost as much as Guile’s Charge moves… hell I’d even argue theres no point in playing against them either.

Damage Optimization.

This obviously requires execution. I’m not even going to explain it.

And there you have it… 3 + 1/4 of the 6 things you say are necessary to master A Fighting Game are Execution Dependent. Execution isn’t just one skills that exist along side the other aspects of Fighting Games… It also completely precedes the other aspects. Its why most people still think they are about

Whoever can do the hardest moves the best.

And the legendary Evo moment 37 Video isn’t helping disprove this way of thinking.

You’re probably right… but you’re missing the Point. The game’s commecial success or failure isn’t whats important… its the game’s design thats important…

actually you know what… scratch that… just the simple Fact somebody was willing to consider the possibility that maybe… just maybe… there’s “anothing way of dealing with The Execution Problem” is enough reason to give me pause… because thats just how low our accessibility standards are in this Genre.

I remember when Street Fighter V’s Beta ended and was being released, and I was curious about if Capcom had learned anything…one of the things I asked was: “Does the game have a tutorial ?”… not if the tutorial was good or if it was comprhensive like skull girls or innovative like GG Xrd… I merely wanted to know if it Existed… such is the state of Street Fighter’s Standards compared to its fellow Competitors. And I got a Firm Yes as a response… some even said it was pretty good… imagine my Disappointment when I finally got the game and realized it was the most basic thing ever I’ve ever encountered… and you know what’s sad… this was Progress for Capcom, Genuine Progress.

I think out of all the Fighting Game Series I know, Street Fighter is the most Stunted, Outdated and stubbornly resistant to any sort of change… good or bad.

True… we’l just have to wait and see… well… I’l just have to wait and see… since you’re not interested. :frowning:

I have a crippling fear that one day I’l be injured in such a way that i won’t be able to play the games I like anymore.

You are kind of dying on every hill in this thread. Maybe there are some things you want to just let go? You are arguing with very reasonable people about unreasonable things - like who has the right to complain.

I can read your posts and come away with the idea that you want every jump in to be punished every time. That sounds pretty boring to me. Whenever you have any situation in a fighting game, there are three things that have to happen. You have to see the move the opponent is making, identify the correct counter, and then execute that counter. Even in a game where every move is a button you still might fail to hit the right button (I do this all the time in Fantasy Strike because the button layout is unfamiliar). It seems like you are fine with the first two steps being required for success but somehow want to eliminate the third. That’s simply not possible. And listen, I am on your side when it comes to favoring simple execution. But arguing with people that the stress of competition is not real and that SF’s training mode simulated it is just ridiculous.

It’s great that you love Fantasy Strike. I might suggest that you play that and leave SF alone. It is worth pointing out though that (beyond execution) the pace of that game is quite a bit slower than even SFV (which is not fast compared to many modern fighters). That slower pace helps an awful lot with the consistency of anti-airs. Fun aside, the original SF2 was quite slow and people got good enough that things like anti-air were becoming nearly 100%. In a game with so few mobility options this lead to a lot of degenerative Fireball, DP the jump over tech. The primary reason the game added “Turbo” in later iterations was to increase the chance a player would fail to recognize a situation and hit their inputs.

Edit: any video game that occurs in real time is going to have some level of execution. If you are looking for purely strategic decision making to influence competetive outcomes, there’s lots of turn based games that have zero execution.

5 Likes

Not everyone… just the ones that are within Reach of your Dedicated Anti-Air… I mean thats kinda of the point of an Anti-Airing Someone…

I understand why characters like Mika or Dhalsim aren’t suppose to be Anti-Aired all the time and their jump archs and speed and ability reflect that… what I don’t understand is why I’m not suppose be Anti-Airing Ryu or Necalli 100% of the time… more importantly I don’t particularly like that they’re using Execution to Force Inconsistency of Anti-Airs. If they want it to be semi-random then they should just do the responsible thing and put an RNG on it…LMAO… oh crap I’m sorry I didn’t even realise I was using word play there.

As for how boring Consistent Anti-Airs would be… then you just need Jump Traps… Geiger has one. Dhalsim too. Dragon Punches are given a 1000 Year Recovery for a Reason… Street Fighter V should be to adding more ways to bait them out rather than just Nerfing them.

For the hundredth time… is this an excuse to do absolutely nothing about the way it works now ?

If you can boild it down to one button with out losing any of its depth then do that… if you can make possible to do it telekinetically then do that…

What Steps ? :open_mouth:

I did no such thing… he said training mode doesn’t allow you to account for defending against other factors besides jump ins… it does… and I did say Simulate…not Duplicate or Recreate…

Training mode obviously can’t simulate Fatigue, nerves or pressure to perform well… but I won’t lie…I would be nice if it did… Capcom should look into that.

I don’t have a backlog… you know why ?

Because I play everything I own… even if it makes me miserable… just last week I staggered my way through Senran Kagura… I didn’t like but hey… what else could I do. I gotta finish what I started.

As for Street Fighter… some parts I like and some parts I don’t… but really isn’t about my preferences. I don’t like alot of things but I don’t whine about everything I don’t like I usually whine about things that could actually be considered problamatic.

Indeed it is… infact I kinda find it off putting. I’d say they should look into increasing the speed but how is that going to affect the Frame Data and Online Play ?

This is Street Fighter V’s real problem and rather than praying nobody masters DPs they should increasing the amount of options. Otherwise they may aswell just give up all pretense of Strategy and invest in an actual physical sport.

I like the decision but I dislike the logic that went behind it.

Its like I said… pretty much every action that takes place in a physical space is going to require a level of execution… thats just a natural law like gravity… But we don’t deliberately run around making everything unintuitive and Inaccessible. Well… excecpt Prisons and Chain Gangs…

They aren’t exclusive, but once execution is refined(which isn’t hard if you try), it becomes as relevant as “being able to not ■■■■ yourself while walking” as coordination skill

Mental stress will be always there, and I cherry picked easy examples where execution is not important to ilustrate how “irrelevant” it is

It’s not. Frustation towards losing(unlike most multiplayers where you have team mates or several opponents, when you lose it’s your fault, even some 1vs have random factors which doesn’t take part of FG, like, in fifa, an easy pass going wrong just because) is the biggest factor which drives most people from multiplayers. Why do they lose? Because they are hard? Yes, but not only at execution level, but fundamentals

And that’s the reason why you should improve it, since is something easy to improve.

“But if they make it easier I will need no training!”

But you still lack several FG knowledge you must learn

“But then I will ask them to put it out, like the guy which asked Option Selects to be eliminated!”

Er…

“Reading” something doesn’t require execution. I’m speaking from the defense point here

“Anti airing” is “knowing when to anti air someone”, independant of which button you have to use. Some chars have a standing anti air, or a crouching one, and still people fail to anti air consistenly

What you said about frame data has nothing to do with frame data. You are talking about moveset, which has nothing to do about frame data knowledge

It does, but still people who knows that(example) HK into fireball(easy) deals more damage than throw(easy) still goes for throws. I’m speaking about people who know that there are better options and still doesn’t go for the best one, or even worse, people who didn’t took time to learn this

For the general interest, I keep track of most of the FGs that are going to be released, because even if I’m not interested right now, I may in the future

I take all the factors. I know execution matters. But my point is that execution can(and should!) be trained quite easily. The execution needed in each game could be talked, and some people even prefer harder execution over easier, since it’s another challenge to overcome.

Hardcore FG fans usually fall in this territory, so people who stay playing FGs have no problem with it since… well, they stay

People who have problems with execution are the people who play the game one month, and then go away. And not only FGs exclusively

1 Like

The point is there is ALWAYS some level of execution. So there will always be someone complaining that it’s unnecessarily hard. It’s just some perspective because you seem to think that the definition of a move that is too hard is a move that is too hard for you.

2 Likes

This replicates a real fight closely but even so, it still isn’t completely accurate. With this option, you know that the opponent will do one of 5 options. You don’t have that in a real match. Furthermore, training mode records have an equal probability for each move while in a real match, players have different habits. Randomly having recording helps but it still leaves out a lot of other factors. Adapting to your opponent, analyzing their patterns, and reacting to anti airs and other moves is the hard part. Training mode recordings cuts out 2 of these factors which makes things easier.

Humans are not random. Each player has their own skillset and habits. Something that is near impossible to replicate with a computer or recordings.

3 Likes

Falke looks SOOOOO COOOL…

I may have found my character that appeals to me a lot besides Ed. Who knew I’d like the Psycho Powered Characters?

Flashy, has a absorb/Parry move, has ranged normals for footsies, V-Triggers look interesting…

Insta-Main for sure. I think I’m in love… :heart:

1 Like

I hate the Bison “doll” inspired look, but I can’t decide if I love or hate the story costume. It’s like a Thai waitress playing tennis outfit…

Her moves look cool. Sort of an evolved Rolento.

She is just meh to me so far. As was Ed… but I dont really play SFV anymore so I guess it doesnt matter. Sakura got my attention, Sagat gets my attention, and G…maybe Cody depending how he turns out but I havent bought this S3 pass.

She looks like a mix of Rolento and Menat (with the zoning stuff) and Bison (of course)
i dig it, they made Blanka really fun so Falke i am looking forward to playing

I like all the costumes (the battle costume being sort of ‘sexy female spy’ I love it!!!)

Yeah i feel the new characters this season have been all great so far and i have high hopes for the rest

This is what actually caught my eye. I like Bo-Staff characters. I used to play Rolento in USF4 and in the Alpha series, so I hope I feel right at home with her. She seems fun. It’s been really hard to find a character that I like that keeps me playing.

I also share the same feeling about that Story costume…lol.

Okay, so… Falke…

Cons:

• Her main and alt costumes are fugly.
  • She has simplified controls like Ed, like, holding a button or pressing two buttons to do special moves.
  • Her animations look kinda stiff and like there’s no weight behind her attacks.
  • Her staff looks shorter than I had hoped.
  • She’s yet another blonde Bison clone.
  • Her Critical Art is pretty boring.

Pros:

• Her third costume is AWESOME! Thank the lords!
  • I like her moveset. Not so much the execution, but the moves themselves are rather cool.
  • Her moves are not just copied versions of other characters, which I’m grateful for. For a moment I was afraid she’d just be Rolento 2.0.
  • Her theme is really good.

I’m gonna try her out, but I’m kinda underwhelmed by her, to be honest.

2 Likes

That girl’s animation is far from being the most inspired in Blond Fighter 5.
I want Codyyyyy!!

Still, Street Fighet 5 keeps on crashing every time in my PC.

Just like with MvCi. I think 1. Both games should have spent longer in development, and 2. The DLC characters (which are new and cool) should have released first. Then release the older characters as DLC.

1 Like

My impressions of SF5: Arcade Edition…

Plays it 5 minutes…

Goes back to KI. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cody is best blonde babe. :heart:

2 Likes