Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Quoted and liked for truth :joy:

7 Likes

The thing about Street Fighter Vā€™s gameplay is that it isnā€™t all that fun.
Whether it is good or not is up to the individual, but thereā€™s nothing spectacular about it, itā€™s not interesting to look at. Itā€™s a very basic game with a few bells and whistles on it. Nothing like Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat/Injustice or Guilty Gear.

And it kinda feels like the SF community doesnā€™t want it to have all that panache either, as they are afraid that it will hurt the core gameplay and make it more ā€œcasual friendlyā€, which to them is alike an STD you canā€™t get rid of.

And with SFV, Capcom messed up because they tried to make the gameplay a bit simpler and add a bit of fun stuff with the V-Trigger and such to make it more appealing for casual players, but they forgot to make the rest of the game appealing at launch, as it had less than the basic modes that people find fun! And the reason they did that was so the game could be out for the competitive scene to practice before EVO.

So they kinda screwed over the pros AND the casual players at the same timeā€¦

Street Fighter 2 was what got me into fighting games when I was a kid, but Iā€™ve never really been competitive, yet Iā€™ve always been a big fan of the franchise (and fighting games overall), so it kinda hurts to see it crash that hard with the SFV launch. With the Arcade Edition coming up, it now feels more like a real and good SF game, at least for the casual playersā€¦ but from what I understand, the competitive scene still kinda feels left behind. Whether itā€™s because they donā€™t want to adapt to what SFV is, or if it is Capcom who keeps screwing it up, I donā€™t know.

TL;DR: Capcom tried to make SFV more casual friendly, but just ended up making it boring.

I might be wrong on that assessment though.

Street Fighter V is a game where there are only a couple of things i wish were added for me to get the most enjoyment out of it

those being
.More defensive options (as a Bison main this one really applies :joy: )
.More creativity with Combos
.Throw loops removed (taken care of)
.More flashy presentation in gameplay and the HUD (kinda done but its not on the SFIV Level)

I admit i play or have fun playing with more characters in street fighter games than in any other fighter for some reason?

I like watching this game at High level but its only with specific players to be honest
namely
.Itabashi Zangief (Itazan)
.Nemo
.Problem X
.SMUG
.Tokido
.Daigo
.Phenom

I feel the same way. Each time I try to give it another go and within 10 mins Im just not feeling it.

I think SFV should keep itā€™s gameplay the way it is. I donā€™t like the gameplay, but the slow gameplay of Street Fighter V is good for eSports. Keep in mind Street Fighter is the representative of fighting games in eSports. It doesnā€™t have a lot of crazy stuff. Players who donā€™t play fighting games can understand Street Fighter V. Give them Marvel, KI, or Guilty Gear and most spectators donā€™t understand anything.

This simplicity to Street Fighter V is good for the FGC. It allows an introduction towards fighting games for new players in terms of gameplay. If someone wants to learn fighting games, Street Fighter V is a good starting point and then they can branch off into other fighting games. The lack of content at launch kind of ruined this. Even so, I do believe the simple gameplay is good for the mainstream fighting game to have.

There is definitely some truth to this. I think, though, comparing SFV to II, III or IV suggests that those games were similarly simple but offered more excitement and diversity. That seems to be the consensus, whether or not itā€™s objectively true or fair.

Both @VagabondGunmen and @infilament mentioned weak defense as deficiencies in SFV. I havenā€™t really noticed this and my own experience suggests all but a tiny subset of offensive options are easily blockable and then punishable in whiff or block - so much so that a prepared opponent doing nothing is about the most frightening thing n the game. Are we just talking about the relative strength of tick throws in the game or am I missing something? What sort of defensive options are we looking for?

V-reversals are considerably weak right now and are all character dependant e.g. Cammy has a great V-reversal but Vega has a trash V-reversal

Only a few characters have invincible reversals in the game (at the cost of meter) which is fine but unlike SF4 for example its only a small amount of characters. With throws and comer pressure being so strong and prominent in SFV giving more characters the option to potentially get out would be helpful. Grapples especially are particularity dangerous as a result (minus Alex) against characters without a wake-up or any sort of reversal (e.g. M.Bison, Vega, Kolin etc). Also i think its because of the fear of Crush counters and how rewarding they are people are afraid of pushing buttons even when it seems safe. Urienā€™s ST HP or Bisonā€™s ST HK are some of the scariest CC in the game

I completely lost interest in SFV when they changed Chun-liā€™s inputs for Lightning Legs into a QCF + K move. I hate it. Utterly hate it. Sheā€™s always been a charge character and there was a lot of fun in charging her attacks in with other attacks. This dumbed down approach is what irritates me.

She can still mash to do lightning legs

1 Like

And sometimes, you just need something simple to stand out from the rest of the crowd. I mean, weā€™re going to have possibly 3 tag team games at EVO next year: BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, and we all know how wacky those games can get. Iā€™m not saying SFV should be as simple as it has been for the last couple years, but I think something a bit more comprehensible/old fashioned is fair to argue for.

1 Like

Iā€™m still salty that they decided to shove Ryu at the anus of the Season 2 roster. Thereā€™s not many high-leveled Ryu players whoā€™ve stuck with him for the entirety of S2.

Are you thinking Spinning Bird Kick? Lightning Kick wasnā€™t a charge move from what I remember, it was usually a mash or half circle input.

Yeah you are right, in SF4 lightening legs was just mash any kick more than 2xā€¦no direction input at all.

1 Like

I used the wrong wordā€¦ I would BUFFER Lightning legs into charged attacks.

Guh?

Anyway I think piano inputs are wack, Iā€™m glad theyā€™re mostly gone in SFV.

1 Like

I think this is truer than most people realize. SFVā€™s simplicity probably genuinely is a point in its favor in terms of viewing for non-FGC people. The characters are visually distinct, iconic enough that people have at least seen (some of) them before, but also basic enough that someone not at all familiar with FGā€™s can readily understand it. It may resolve into the same situations, but (unlike say, SF4) those resolutions occur quickly and often prove decisive. When Laura or Mika or Balrog or even Bison get going, the round is probably over. That works to build moment-to-moment excitement, as at any point a fight can go awry and someone lose.

None of that is to say that I think SFV is a fantastic fighter (I personally donā€™t have much fun with it, finding it frustrating and tedious after about half an hour). But I do think that itā€™s probably a better ambassador for FGā€™s than anything else out there right now. Injustice 2 could be better (it has the visuals and the characters for it), but the strength of zoning can make it boring. GG is waaaaay too anime and complicated to be a good ambsassador for western audiences. Tekken 7 is often cited as the perfect spectator game, but I frankly found it incredibly boring until @FinchoMatic explained to me how itā€™s systems of offense and defense actually worked.

Even the hated ā€œ1-Player onlyā€ philosophy of advancing to the next match works within the viewership context, as it gives a predicable cue on the production side for when and how we (the audience) move onto the next match.

I think SFV is a middling fighter, but I think their character direction since launch has mostly worked to improve that. And I think that from an eSports growth perspective (which I do think is important, as it widens the space and audience for fighters generally), itā€™s probably the game we need.

6 Likes

I think Sajam brings up a greet point on how difficult it could be to change how SFV plays.

2 Likes

Cody caught my interest for SFV once again :heartpulse:
I really wonder how his gameplay will be!

However after playing KI this game is such a different experienceā€¦
Unless I have a lot of fun with a character or mechanics I donā€™t find myself playing much.

1 Like

bad news, apparently offline modes will no longer grant fight money when AE drops. considering they were like the only real way to get fight money, Iā€™m right pissed.

Oh great. And sense I donā€™t pay extra for the scam that is PlayStation Plus, I have to buy everything with real money. ā– ā– ā– ā–  Sony. And Microsoft. And Nintendo. I hate that you have to pay extra for that crap.