Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Still-wise, yes. Animation, not so much. Seeing the animation it didn’t look similar, but I can see how it looks similar via still.

1 Like

This Donkey Kick thing is the biggest nitpick i have ever seen. Almost as big as the dragon punch complaints in MvCI

Because it is so poorly animated that it makes Eagle moves look like NRS cinematic in comparison.

2 Likes

I live near Washington DC where the sitting mayor was arrested for smoking crack with a prostitute while in office, sent to jail, released and then elected mayor again. So, short answer: “yes”

It would make a certain amount of sense for Cody to succeed Haggar as mayor of Metro city. Not that I put much stock in the plot of SF games, but that actually is a reasonable explanation for his new look. He looks a lot like Haggar I’m the Final Fight cutscenes where he is in th Mayor’s office.

On another subject, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his donkey kick animation. But it is definitely not as weighty a move as other versions nor does it fill the same role in his arsenal because he doesn’t step forward.

3 Likes

This is what I think could have happened IF cody is the new metro city Mayor

Haggar Stepped down and Cody took his place and new mayor of Metro City and do something with his life. Haggar would do this simply because Cody is close friends with Haggar and because he saved his daughter Jessica (Cody’s ex gf) in Final Fight 1. Haggar wants better for him rather than live see him in jail and a life of nothing but street brawling

In the Comics Haggar is always trying to keep Cody out of trouble

It would be a big shift of his character though… Like, personality wise, he’s always been a good guy, even though he’s denied it, always acting like he doesn’t care and just wanted to punch people… but in reality, he just never could sit by when knowing some big bad guy is threatening the world, hence why he breaks out of prison, kicks bad guy butt and then goes back to prison voluntarily.

But a mayor? A politician? I’m not convinced yet…

I always thought it seemed odd that he was a convict after Final Fight.

Well, he killed a guy.

can’t wait to play as my girl Sakura
I’m ready to send all of ya’ll back to school

If all video game characters who “killed a guy” went to jail, all videogames would be set in prisons…

5 Likes

Just came in to say I think Ryu’s donkey kick animation is the worst animation I’ve ever seen in a canonical SF game. It rivals some of NRS’s and Marvel Infinite’s worst animations.

I have surprisingly little hope for AE, sadly, despite the pretty awesome trailer they showed at the end of Capcom Cup and the fact that they did the right thing by announcing all 6 characters at the start. The balance changes people were finding over the weekend seem like extreme measures to take away anything good or fun in the game, the AE UI update still doesn’t fix 2p rematch or change any of the bad functionality, the netcode will still be unbearable, and all these new animations (Ryu donkey kick, Alex DDT, Cammy air throw from S2) look like they were done by the C team for a meatball sandwich. At least Sakura looked cool, hopefully the rest of the new characters don’t animate so stiffly.

I wasn’t ever really on board with the gameplay philosophy of SFV from the start, but I was willing to maybe give AE another shot. Unfortunately they seem to be moving even further away from what I would want in a game. I’ll wait until it comes out to fully judge but I’m not optimistic right now.

4 Likes

So what exactly does SFV do wrong mechanically that you dont like compared to other SF games? Which SF do you wish it played like?
Just curious because I too just cant get into it. Sometimes I get the itch and enjoy it for a bit but it doesnt take long to get bored with or frustrated online. I try not to play longer than 30- 1 hour so it stays somewhat fun.

Hah, true!
But no, seriously, he killed the Mad Gear Gang boss, Belger, who kidnapped his girlfriend, Jessica, by hurling him out the window, then disappears for a year to fight more bad guys, then returns to Metro City where he is caught by a corrupt cop who arrests him for some crimes he didn’t do plus all the street fights he’s initiated. And once he’s behind bars, his now ex-girlfriend cuts all contact with him and leaves for Europe. And as mentioned earlier, he kept breaking out of prison to kick some bad guy butt, but always returned.

And now… for some reason… is all of a sudden a mayor…
Well, if that really is the case, then hopefully Capcom has a really good explanation to how that happened.

It’s such an odd air throw, and yeah, it just looks bad! She could’ve had 2 other versions from past games, an air Frankensteiner, or the air grab she can do in her Hooligan Combo… but instead they decided to have her swing around with the opponent like some kind of air carousel… What the actual f-bleep-k?! XD

She’s always been my #1 favourite Street Fighter character, and most likely always will be, but that air throw just looks ridiculous.

1 Like

Eh I prob don’t wanna get into it too much here, since I’d rather let the people who enjoy it have fun with it. I just find the game extremely constricting, like they’re scared of giving players creativity, and in AE they seem to be taking away anything the players found that was even halfway decent. If I was in charge of the game direction of SFV, well… first of all, I wouldn’t have made the game so constricting, but even if I inherited the game at the end of S2 and couldn’t realistically change tons of systems, I would have taken a much different approach than what they’re doing. Even with the addition of more v-triggers, I feel like they are going out of their way to make AE more boring and one-dimensional, where most of the gameplay will be low-risk, low-reward stuff that isn’t even that fun to do because of the stubby normals and poor defensive options.

And of course, coupled with the barely functional UI and bad netcode and the game just puts me in a bad mood as soon as I boot it up, even before I’ve played a match.

I don’t know if I want the game to “play like” any other SF, since they’re all so different. SFV can and should carve out its own niche. I just know that I find the current game very frustrating to play, both on offense and defense, so this niche didn’t resonate with me.

3 Likes

I really want to like SFV but nearly all of the MUs are too one-dimensional for me to enjoy playing or spectating it for very long. (Not to mention the character designs are a huge mixed bag for me.) If they improved that and fixed the input lag I’d probably be on board.

I own the game and play the story for characters when they come out, but I don’t go back and play it casually like I do with games like Injustice, Killer Instinct, or Marvel Infinite (yes, I play that game often. It’s freakin fun and you feel so powerful while playing). I don’t really play any Street Fighter game for fun. I love the characters and the universe, and I can have fun playing it, but Street Fighter just isn’t my ideal fighter.

Haggar probably gave him a clean slate and erased his criminal record. Who knows?

QT3.14

Ah, Jessica. Why you have to do a guy like that? Didn’t Haggar raise you better than that?

I really want to like SFV more. Partly I haven’t given it a fair shake because I play in my PC and I rarely have a chance to sit down and play there. But when I do, I always feel like there is a single valid “solution” to every situation and the difference between winning and losing is just accrued knowledge. I can usually tell if I’m going to win or lose a match in ten seconds and I usually win or lose in exactly the same way.

When I watch high level play I feel like about two rounds into any match I’ve seen everything the players are going to do. Same set ups, same combos coming out of them. Same safe pokes in neutral over and over.

Even at low/mid tier where I play and where normally people’s knowledge gaps and execution errors typically inject a lot of wild random stuff into a fighting game, with SFV the games mechanics are so conservative that often it ends up being two guys crouch blocking and throwing out jab after block the whole match. It doesn’t really pull me back in.

The game is still fun to play with a friend and I will likely buy Season 3 as a donation to the house that built Monster Hunter. But I doubt I will get my money’s worth in terms of hours of enjoyment.

5 Likes