Soul Calibur 6

Is making your female characters run around, flashing their big breasts and wearing little to no clothes, really something you would call “creativity”?

2 Likes

You’re oversimplifying it. That’s like me saying that “having your superheroes fight crime in spandex is ‘creativity?’” There’s a lot more that goes into a character’s design than just showing skin. If that’s all the designers cared about, then the character would be put in a bikini. Ivy, however, has thought and effort put into her costume and weapon. Is Ivy’s appearance distinct and memorable? If yes, then the designers did their job well. There is nothing wrong with making your characters visually appealing.

If it’s an issue of practicality, then the same logic still applies. Practicality =/ good design. If Spider-Man really wanted to be practical, he would dress in all black all the time because it gives him the edge in the shadows, instead of wearing the ICONIC red and blue.

Having all your characters look the same makes it visually boring (obviously), but there’s a lot of variety in how you can make a cool character. With Ivy, they chose something down the lines of dominatrix. Why? Because they wanted to. Why does Orchid have a huge cleavage window, short shorts, and heels? Because it’s visually striking and memorable.

Standing out from reality is fine. There’s no reason to be up in arms about something as trivial as how much skin a fictional character shows.

Some favorites of mine:
P4D_Naoto_Shirogane

tumblr_n3xovoLRzF1r72ht7o1_r1_500

2 Likes

I’m oversimplyfying it? Says you who tried to get away with just posting a meme.

1 Like

I backed up that meme. It was a joke at first, but then you came along and well…
I got
DgJ5HCJXUA4JgaP

1 Like

Besides, the arguments against it were hardly arguments at all. Just personal feelings with no supporting evidence or insight to offer.

Now, if you’ll excuse me.

1 Like

Hyuk hyuk… You got me. I’m against fun and I just hate creativity. I’m opposed to anyone creative enough to draw a nipple under a physics defying shirt or, even better, just give the women the biggest ■■■■■ possible and dress them in as little as possible. That’s creative because no one ever thought of it. Instead of reaching into the enormous keg full of typical retorts I will instead just hope that someday you can actually make an effort to understand what I’m saying instead of responding with this sort of nonsense.

The difference between all of those things and Soul Calibur is that I don’t care about any of those things. I don’t watch those shows and if other people want to watch that garbage that’s their business.

No one is trying to “stop Soul Calibur.” But I have yet to hear anyone make a positive statement in favor of cringeworthy female attire that makes any sense. I just hear juvenile nonsense from people making false equivalences. Then the normal parade of straw man arguments against things no one is talking about. “Why complain about Ivy’s outfit? We haven’t even cured cancer yet.”

I like Soul Calibur. I really like Ivy, as a character and as a fighter. She would be a BETTER character wearing something more than a cloth V. It’s always amazing to me. None of you guys are out there arguing in favor of more male frontal nudity in games. Why not? Don’t all of your arguments about creativity and “there’s worse stuff in the world” and all the noise apply equally to game developers including a lot of swinging ■■■■■ in their games? But we don’t get games with achievements in them for moving the camera to “upskirt” male characters’ crotch bulges. That’s weird. We don’t have physics defying pants that outline the male genitals in an unrealistic way and we don’t have anyone suggesting that “there’s no good reason for the lack of exposed ■■■■■ in video games.” Every single one of you has a standard that you apply of what falls in and out of bounds as far as socially acceptable depictions. I’m sick of everyone being astonished that someone might object to the absolutely preposterous depictions of women in games. They could put Ivy in an actual dominatrix outfit from a real dominatrix in a ■■■■ video and it would be LESS revealing. And she’s dressed that way to do battle.

If you like outrageous oversexed female characters that’s your business. But I don’t. So don’t come at me with all kinds of bs reasons why I’m wrong to not like it and saying stuff like “there’s no reason to complain.” Soul Calibur is my game as much as it is yours. And the developers should know there are people out there who don’t like that stuff.

At this point then, it’s a matter of having options. They have multiple costumes for a reason. I personally don’t like most of Sakura’s costumes in SFV, but I always have the Gi that I can use. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, don’t use it. But don’t try to get it completely removed because there are people who do like it.

Sexualisation of fictional characters cannot be justified.
When all comes to all, it’s just about eye-candy.

As soon someone makes a claim like “but she has this rare disease so she can only breathe through her skin, so she has to wear a bikini!” (Hideo Kojima) they just make themselves look like idiots.

Just own up to it. Just admit it’s because you like looking at women with big breasts and being scantly clad. Don’t try to make up some silly excuse. Just go “I just really like girls!” (Yoko Taro) and be done with it.

Sexualisation of characters serves one purpose, and one purpose only.

I personally don’t mind it, as long it’s tasteful. Ivy is an awesome character, but her SCVI costume is literally just a bra and some strings covering her torso. There’s nothing cool or interesting about it, there’s no costume, the design is just outright bad.

I don’t care about Talim as a character at all and I find her design pretty bland, but her being a 15 year old in a thong and exposed underboob is just gross. She’s a minor. Age her up 3 years and I wouldn’t care, but because she is a minor, it’s gross. There’s no other excuse that can justify it other than it’s for sexualisation. None.

1 Like

Here’s a quote from the SC wiki: “Beneath her cold demeanor is a heart that wants freedom from a cursed life that will do whatever it takes to be free.”

You could argue that this is, at the very least, part of the reason for her revealing outfits. You could also make the argument that the story was made for Ivy, after she had be created to justify it. Either way, the argument is same, as they have become one.

And they have. They’ve shown off her more aristocratic side with furs and the like, on her alternate costumes, most of the time.

I’m well aware that it’s not necessarily considered censorship, but it’s in the same vein. Or rather, it feels the same, to me. As in, “She used to be a very openly sexual person, and used it to her advantage, but no longer does so because ‘She doesn’t feel the need to anymore.’ aka. ‘I just did this to stop the press from bombarding with complaints’.”

I hope that makes sense.

I think the line has and will always be,“If you are trying to use an objectively wrong subject in your medium, use it with great care, and respect for the people who have been the victim of said subject.” ex. Schindler’s List.

In this case, Ivy is not someone who’s being a victim of anything but her past experience being mentally abused in the form of a ‘locked door’ mind. Young well off people were very restricted with what they were allowed to do, by both society and their parents, most of the time. Very much related to the way famous actors try to shield their children from the public.

I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s necessary, and if they are they’re obviously wrong. However, there is a demographic for that, as evidenced by how much the adult film industry made the internet as wide spread as it has become. They didn’t do it by themselves, but they definitely made it progress faster than it otherwise would have.

Is Ivy over sexualized? Not from my view. She could definitely be way worse.

When the Witcher 3 came out, which did you hear more of?

• I can’t believe they showed Geralt’s butt! Not only that, but you basically could see his pubic area.

• Triss, Yenefer, and Ciri sex scenes in Witcher 3!

My guess is more of the latter. I don’t have any problem with either male or female full frontal nudity. However, we do have another character in this game that’s the second part of the BDSM relationship. Voldo is basically a gimp. There’s no ifs, ands, or buts about it. How many people cry about sexuallizing Voldo? None, because no one cares if men are sexualized. This is a big issue that one wants to talk about. This isn’t the thread to do it, so I’m gonna leave that where it lies.

To entertain others. Just because you don’t like that form of entertainment doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Fictional characters don’t exist and therefore shouldn’t be beholden to our rules. That’s all I’m gonna say about that, because this is not about anything but Ivy, in this thread.

I said I don’t mind it though. When it’s on male characters, I can enjoy it, because of my personal preferences, of course. But I don’t try to justify it, because it is what it is. Same with Ivy. There’s only one reason she is put into that costume, and I personally don’t mind that, because she is still a cool character. I just wish the design was better, because as it looks now, it’s just not good.

I already addressed this in the comment you quoted a part of, so I’ll just quote it for you.

And that’s what I’m saying. Making up some reason why she is dressed in strings is bullcrap. Because it doesn’t matter. That’s not why she is dressed like that. That is the excuse the devs came up with AFTER they dressed her like that.

Here’s where I take issue with your argument. Ivy’s fashion is justified by a reason unrelated to sexualization, but her sexualization is meant to reflect her personality. I don’t see why this is a bad thing.

In my opinion, this correlates with the objective of the “Free the Nipple” movement. Women are asking for equal treatment in regards to their chest as men have had for a long time.

I’d much rather see the advent of sex in society than the desensitization of violence. One relating the creation of life and therefore the prosperity of the human race, and the other the defamation and destruction of life as we know it.

I’m just rambling now… I’ll be back after I clear my head, so as to not engulf a conversation in flames.

Edit: before I forget, Yes I know the the Free the Nipple movement is an attempt to stop sexualization. What I’m talking about is the way people here are treating the subject doesn’t get rid of sexualization and still keeps the female body a taboo to be glorified and fantasized about.

No. Just stop yourself there. Because no, it isn’t. I already explained why.

I personally don’t see it as a bad thing. As long the costumes are cool and tasteful. Her SCVI costume isn’t though, imo.

The rest I agree with. Equality all the way. Sex and nudity are not bad things. It’s all about context though. Like, bringing in nudity just for the sake of nudity is tasteless. Making a female character look nude just to have a female character looking nude is tasteless.

Ivy as a character brings a lot more to the table, so that’s not the case with her. However, she’s had better and more tasteful costumes which still represented her character and aesthetics that weren’t just strings. Putting her in just strings really feels like just making her look more nude for the sake of looking nude.

This has got to stop. This is one of those arguments where neither side is going to convince the other. So just admit that and move on, because this back and forth isn’t doing anything for anybody. I have a side I choose to agree with, but bringing it up at this point wouldn’t accomplish anything.

You’re welcome to skip our conversation if you want.

I’m just gonna link this and you can check out her previous costumes by clicking on the SC title above the picture on the right. Ivy | Soulcalibur Wiki | Fandom

Every single one of her main costumes is the same to me. I don’t understand what makes this one different. Is it because it’s “current year?”

And your welcome to use ivy’s Alt skins

Ivy is my favourite character, I know all her costumes by heart.

Her SC4 main costumes was just a bunch of strings at the whole torso area. As is her SCVI costume. I don’t think that’s stylish, I don’t think that’s cool. It’s just to make her look as nude as possible, it’s not creative. At least not in my opinion.

Her SCVI costume is supposed to look like her SC1 costume, but their “upgrade” was to replace most of it with just strings. I’d rather they have went with a more corset-look which had the snake-skin and lace patterns which is consistent throughout her costume, showing on her gloves and boots as well.