Soul Calibur 6

WIIIIDUDE! I haven’t heard that name in ages!!!

1 Like

I don’t know this Rothion person, though I don’t even think he’s playable. If that’s the case then I might.

Fired up my soulcalibur 4… hmm it seems talim in sc4 already had visible panties under those sheer pants, maybe the sc6 version is bit more modest…
idk

1 Like

Yeah, there’s been two articles who are talking about that sort of thing. Okubo said that controversy almost brought stopped SC-7 from happening. I feel like this may be the last game where Ivy walks around in her iconic outfit. Though that may also be unlikley.

From yesterday
1 Like

1 Like
2 Likes

I absolutely hate this. How would these people feel if we started covering up parts of the Sistine Chapel and The Statue of David? Art is art is art. You mess with one, you mess with it all.

Best representation of ivy that I’ve seen to date.

Summon Suffering is back!
From new post yesterday on YouTube

I think the ones who wrote the article would’ve had the Sistine Chapel and statue of David censored too if they were given the power.

Back on topic, though here’s some interesting news. Please let Lizardman be revaled next. I’ve been waiting since the games announcement.

Honestly, I want a trailer that confirms a bunch of veterans. So that the trailers until the games release are newcomers.

I too hope that we get multiple reveals.

You’re free to hate it if you want to, but it’s a legitimate viewpoint. Ivy is an awesome character who would still be awesome wearing clothes - as evidence by her awesome alternate costume. We live in a world where there are serious discussions about the portrayal of women in video games and you don’t have to be a hardcore femenist to look at Ivy’s outfit and notice it is impractical and unnecessary.

As far as your comparisons, images of the statue of David (I assume you mean Michelangelo’s David) are routinely censored for display in places where it isn’t considered appropriate to show a penis. And “you mess with one, you mess with them all” is not a thing. Besides which, Ivy’s outfit is not Huckleberry Finn and it’s not the Cistine Chapel ceiling.

The exaggerated oversexed female characters in Soul Calibur are an absolute negative for me when it comes to the game. I would be thrilled to see them “modernize” those things. If this was a brand new game I certainly wouldn’t buy it. But my nostalgia is going to win the day on this one.

4 Likes

I Bet the create a soul is a big announcement & my theory of the optional story mode will play a part.
I do hope it’s a cluster###%%% of characters revealed at once!!!

This is written with no malice, with the objective of having a discussion based on the precedent that both sides are willing to adhere to general civility.

I’m not saying it’s illegitimate, just that I dislike the notion that one should censor oneself because someone else has a preference that conflicts.

I’m not saying she would no longer be awesome, to some people. That may change for others. Is that worth messing with?

It’s fantasy. Why should we revoke ideas just because it’s not something we can or should do in real life?

That’s fine in context. To clarify my point; Why change what already exists (the character’s known taste in fashion) when you can instead add options for those more sensitive to the subject?

I posit that all art is art. None are better than the other, because each piece can be viewed from a unique perspective. That’s the beauty of art.

I understand that it’s not something for everyone, and that is OK. There are many other things that may satisfy your wants.

3 Likes

No worries man - I know you don’t have any malice intended. I certainly hope you didn’t interpret my message as being angry. Mature discussion is always welcome.

That’s a fine viewpoint. But videogame characters change and evolve all the time. Also, part of the “art” of videogames is the combined visual and gameplay of the character. So, even if you accept that the characters are art in terms of their design, this is more like changing David’s thumbs or his hair. I’m also talking about changing Ivy for the next game. Not going back to take her outfit out of older games. So it’s not censorship if any form - self or otherwise.

We do this all the time. I know arguing by extremes is a cheap trick, but just imagine a “fantasy” game about pedophilia, where you play a pedophile grooming children. Or a concentration camp management sim. I think it’s safe to assume most people would reject those ideas because they are tasteless - even if you could think of challenging or unique game mechanics to go with them. I’m not suggesting Ivy’s butt floss bandage/bondage outfit is in that same category, just that we absolutely do reject “fantasy” ideas because of real life considerations. So the only debate is where to draw the line. There is, and always will be, a huge gray area that will always be subject to discussion.

This is the “if you don’t like it, don’t buy it” argument. I’m actually a big fan of this argument, so I don’t mind it being used against me. But the oversexed visuals are a minor part (to me) of a wonderful game. It just feels to me like we could get rid of them and still have an amazing Soul Calibur game. I don’t want to miss out on Soul Calibur, so I would love to see them tone this stuff down.

I am not suggesting anyone boycott the game, and as I said, I’m still going to buy it. I will manage the content from my end as well as I can - although I highly doubt they will include a “tasteless costume” toggle so there’s only so much I can do. But I feel like there are lots of people who feel the same way I do and they generally stay quiet because they can’t be bothered to argue with the vocal, but I believe small, group of gamers who are passionate that oversexed female characters are a necessary and desirable component of games. But most of those people speak with their wallets and I feel like now, for all kinds of reasons, it’s important to speak up about these things. KI handled female characters beautifully in my opinion, and even MKX is moving in the right direction. I wish Japanese developers would learn some lessons from this.

At this point, i’d Say that you need to decide wether or not it’s important based on who the character is. What they’re personality and history are, and if they wear it in the story for any sort of reason. I’m not an expert on Soul Calibur’s lore, so I can’t tell you that. But, if removing these aspects of the characters costume goes against who they are as people, then that’s wrong. In Mortal Kombat, it was pointless and actually went against who the characters are. The same for Cammy in SF. But again, I’m not super familiar with SoulCal’s story. So I don’t know how this applies here.

Plus, Ivy is a strong independent woman who can wear whatever the ■■■■ she wants without having to worry about what other people think.

Its a good question. Ivy is an aristocrat with a decidedly S&M vibe so I wouldn’t say the outfit is inappropriate for the character (ie Cammy). But they certainly could do other outfits that worked as well.

But again, these are questions for the developers to decide. And it’s clear that Japanese game developers (if not Japanese society) are not at all interested in these types of discussions. So it is what it is. Like I said, I just feel like lots of people put up with these over the top depictions of women rather than enjoy them, and like me, would be happier to see them toned down.

Without direction of my comment to anyone, I feel at the end of the day, a video game is not the place to consider moral values of clothing / attire when we have a current society that has police shooting innocent people & glorifies nudity/ butt-shaking and plastic surgery in the media.

Any random Netflix anime has scores of tawdry flat out sex scenes & nudity (omg that demon man series) , but it’s packaged for the masses, & yes, it’s a buy or don’t buy situation, it’s up to adults to restrict from youngsters as video game does not mean just for kids, no one’s forcing ivy’s T&A down middle America’s throats- but there are wrestling divas in less skimpy outfits on tv, hoisting & thrusting, most female stars either wear close-fitting or seductive attire in subtle to jaw-dropping measures to garner controversy & fantasy-
Look at people like current hip hop females who support their brand with showing skin alongside someone like that mystery female ‘celebrity’ whose family is famous for their surgery & sexual exploits - and America eats it up every day & no one is stopping it🤔

a game? there’s bigger fish to fry- and those people who are cringing at Ivy’s outfit better get ready for online play because it will be a circus

3 Likes

You forgot this: