Soul Calibur 6

Siegfried’s kind of like Mina, where your game will most revolve around not letting the opponent get in that close. GI’s feel really inconsistent to me online, so I tend to use RE instead. If you don’t like the RPS, you can just block and that’ll end anything but a B input by your opponent (bear in mind you will be negative though).

Siegfried is actually really really scary up close as well, so long as you can manage to get there in stance. Character is a serious gorilla once that giant sword is behind his back o_O

1 Like

Its tough to get there though. The game is so momentum based that if you are in a roll you can get a lot of stuff going. But if you or back in your heels I have a tough time getting back in it.

I’m sure there’s ways to do better, but I can’t seem to figure anything out. When I lose I’m not learning anything…

In addition to Storm’s point on RE, the devs introduced Reversal Edge as the mechanic to deal with pressure and get momentum back. Some characters have strings that lead to a RE situation but others will have to press RE commands from neutral / guard.

Guard impact timing window is bigger after being on the receiving end of a few quick hits in succession. On the other hand, if you are looking to GI bigger, slower horizontal or vertical swings then the window is smaller. Online it will exacerbate this timing difference and the leeway GI attempts get…very inconsistent.

RE is risky too but as mentioned THE tool implemented to deal with pressure. RE gives lethal hit follow up options and combo starter opportunities, which depend on both your character as well as your opponent’s character as to what these options will be (in terms of risk and reward). Bit of a learning curve, I believe, to memorize the combination for each matchup…but it always gives you a chance as opposed to GI.

@STORM179 thou shall correct me if I am mistaken :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds all right to me :+1:t5: I actually didn’t know that blocking quicker attacks gave you additional GI window. That explains a lot - it’s incredibly easy to GI the third hit of AAA and AAB strings with a consistent timing, even though the delay between the two final hits can vary quite a bit. That explains why it’s so lenient to do a GI there, while it can be a bit difficult to GI the big individual vertical swings. :thinking:

Yeah, I seem to lose RE aftermath 90% of the time. I’m just grumbling because I’m losing 2/3 of my matches and it’s a drag…

Yeah, when I get to a point where it feels like I’m losing too many RE exchanges I just block them out instead. Still use RE because Mina kinda has to, but just try to back them off a bit and give myself some space. Also don’t forget that soaking hits while charging RE builds meter, so once you get bars you can also Soul Charge and force them off of you. And then go absolutely nuts, because Siegfried (like Mina) is an absolute gorilla while in SC :-p

Using RE like this will generally net you 3 bars/game in a close match I’ve found - two bars generated purely off RE meter build, and then the free bar once the opponent takes two rounds.

1 Like

I think Aeon is wearing armor that has not been in the game yet either. at least it looks like it anyway.

Yes, and that specific one is fighting with the two other high officers of Nightmare’s army. I think his name’s still gonna be Lizardman.

Lore wise I’m sure sense he’s still under the spill that suppresses his human memories.

Though I would have preferred 9S or A2, it’s really cool that 2B is in here. It’s actually tempting me into picking this up now. :sweat_smile:

I’ve never been much of a fan of 3D Fighters honestly, probably because I’ve never fully understood them. What’s different about playing a game like DoA or SC as compared to KI or SFV?

Freedom of movement and even more moves to remember as characters have larger movesets. The general rule of rock paper scissors is mostly the same in 3D games but implemented slightly different.

Yeah, because of that I try not to GI single individual hits as timing is deceptive and can mess up your positioning when missed. Better to block / move imo.

Yeah, it’s mostly the movement that I never really adapted to. I’m assuming there’s mindgames with side-stepping and directional wake-up and such? I wonder how long that’ll take to wrap my head around.

Who knows, maybe SC6 will be the game that inspires me to learn like KI did.

This game (and Tekken) is best to be played with friends if you’re new. You can control the pace as online will literally put you against anyone and can be overwhelming. Just my opinion.

1 Like

SoulCalibur singlehandedly has one of the hugest movelists for characters.

Some moves that seem they should be your standard qcf moves can be executed with only a diagonal and two buttons, or a tap tap button THEN HOLDING that button it’s insane!!!

I never learned ivy the way I’ve seen some masterful players use her do with the trusty copy paste in creation, I’m making ivy versions of all the ideal characters even kenshi/ nightwing/ Starfire/ poison ivy/Kim Wu lol

I wonder in what way the new mechanics will influence the new generation of fighters

Well, at least in Soul Calibur the options are pretty straightforward and moving in a direction is very simple (as opposed to, say, Tekken). Ducking beats high horizontals, sidestepping beats verticals, and kicks are (mostly) fast and low damage with less range. It’s a pretty basic RPS at its core, so learning at a low level is very easy I think. Movelists are large and definitively matter at high level, but you can do pretty ok with just a basic understanding of 5-6 good strings/options and an eye towards moving well I think.

Yeah, that’s my preference too. Up close though movement murders you, so a lot of times I’d really rather just GI them off of me if I can. Very doable offline, but friggin difficult online unless the opponent is being very predictable with their timings.

1 Like

I’d encourage you to move away from the frame of even thinking about moves as “special moves” in the vein of a hadouken or windkick or anything that would necessitate a QCF motion. That’s not (by and large) how Soul Calibur works. It’s a string game, where generic inputs are best understood to be direction->button(s) or direction->direction->button(s). The holding is actually really lenient, so just learn to double or single tap your direction and then press your buttons as needed. The holding is pretty intuitive in the sense that wider movements will tend to have you commit to the direction, where a shorter swing will usually just want you to tap it. Not incidentally I think, those shorter swings are often mids.

The game certainly has traditional QCF inputs (along with the Ivy pretzel 360), but those tend to be for fairly unique tools where a “full” input makes a bit of sense. I.E. Taki’s stance stuff, Astaroth’s throws, etc etc.

You were right - it sounds exactly like what I’ve been experiencing. @BigBadAndy what did you do to clear up the problem? I’d really love to try your solution as it’d be great to be able to actually enjoy the game…!

I made Blair Dame and Hayate from Fighting EX Layer:

(Hayate’s hair is coloured black which will show in-game)

As well as SC1 Taki and SC4 Raphael:

3 Likes

Sadly I didn’t fix it. I just switched to another Xbox and it works. My brother got his working by opening the blade menu every time it starts to load a match but that didn’t work or me. But for whatever reason thenother Xbox works fine.