Soul Calibur 6

same

Disappointing as it may be letā€™s not lose hope. Also I refuse to watch videos like that from Max, and for good reason.

Iā€™m confident we will se another SC, we just ahve to wait and see.

Why?

1 Like

Aside from the usually misleading titles he has a tendency to talk about certain topics without 100% knowing the facts or info of said topic. Not to hate on him, but I donā€™t like when people spread misinformation on things and make it sound like a fact.

Itā€™s only speculation he never says itā€™s a fact.

1 Like

Well it sall speculation. No one knew it was a tease.

Yeah in this case itā€™s pretty much speculation, but usually when he makes vids like that and title them as ā€œSoul Caliber news and infoā€ for example. That falls under the misleading titles, but when you watch the videoā€™s heā€™s just speculating instead of doing what the title suggests. Not to hate on Max I appreciate what he does for the FGC, but I notice these small things that irk me.

Back when I actually gave a damn about SC series Nightmare and Aeon where the two characters I played the most. They were the most interesting set and appealed to my inner monster in alot of ways where other characters just came off as generic.

I will say this: I liked Nightmareā€™s design in almost every game. Except 4, that was a weird one I admit. Still some of these deisgns look pretty cool for Nightmare.

I know my bro is going to want to get SCVI I just hope Pyrra (who in my opinion is the WORST female character in any video game) never comes back. She was annoying enough to ruin the whole game for me. lol I practically jumped ship after soul caliber five and she one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason.

All Namco needs to do imo is release SC3AE for both consoles. Make it cross platform and make the Conquest mode online as well. I wouldnā€™t even care if the game didnā€™t get a graphics boost, as long as the frame rate doesnā€™t suffer from portingā€¦

And ivy gets more outfits (skimpy coughs)

1 Like

One idea Namco could utilize is that instead of having a separate character slot go to waste per sĆ©, they could set it up so that the other character is more of a ā€œstyleā€. For instance, say someone selected Taki, you could choose between picking her original style, or a Natsu style. Aesthetics could change, too, but that should be optional.

What do you guys think???

6 Likes

Anytime now too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If thereā€™s no news on this game at E3, Iā€™ll be really disappointed. Imagine that thoughā€¦ Tekken 7 coming out this year, with a full reveal of Soul Calibur 6? In the same year!? That would be AMAZING.

4 Likes

Yep. Very amazing! But I hope SC6 will not failure again like SC5ā€¦ :confused:

I miss Necrid so muchā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, honestly, after playing Soul Blade and the first four Soul Caliburā€™s, I didnā€™t think they could make me ever turn me away from that series.

I still remember preordering my Dreamcast, only to move to a different state that following summer. One of my good buddies was nice enough to pick it up and drive it all the way to me. First game I opened was Mortal Kombat Gold. As a diehard MK fan, I was still trying to love MK4 and more or less just thought, ā€œeh, this is okay, Iā€™ll enjoy this.ā€ I played for a few minutes and decided to move on to my next game.

Then I opened Sonic Adventure. Loved it! Played the first level with the killer whale chasing you and all thatā€¦ Had a blast. Then there was talking and wandering and okay, Iā€™ll play this later. :slight_smile: Still loved the game though, and MKG for that matter.

Opened House of the Dead 2 next. Ah, just some good, pure arcade fun. Didnā€™t have a light gun, so playing with the controller was kinda weird, but still, it felt like I had an arcade in my room! Graphics were super nice and that horrendously hokey dialog was on point, as always. Played for about twenty minutes and thought Iā€™d definitely get back to that one before long.

Finally, I opened Soul Calibur. HOLY CRAP. That was one of those ā€œoh my god, this generation is going to be amazingā€ types of moments that are all too rare now. That game that makes everything that came before look like garbage lol. The graphics had my jaw on the floor, the gameplay was silky smoothā€¦ I couldnā€™t put it down. Played for hours. Still one of my all time favorite gaming experiences; rushing to each character like a kid in a candy store, I was elated to say the least.

So to go from that high, to Soul Calibur V, with these Sophitia copies and that story, plus the character designs that were just kinda dull and iterative. How many times can you take cool characters out and give us their kids or new versions of them or simply get rid of them (Zasalamel? How does he not make the cut?). I mean, itā€™s not a BAD game, but as good as Soul Calibur has always been to me, it fell surprisingly short of what I grew to expect in that series and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I actually remember the moment, while playing, when I thought ā€œokay, I think Iā€™ve seen enough from this series,ā€ and I havenā€™t touched any game in the series since. Not out of spite or anger or whatever, just out of disinterest. SCV left me more or less indifferent to the series.

Now, fast forward to today, and I no loner feel that way. I want to see a great Soul Calibur reinvigorate the series and bring it back to its former glory. That might be a tall order, but with great, unique character designs and some fun ideas for returning characters, I think that they could do it. Hereā€™s hoping!

1 Like

My experience with Soul Calibur one in Dreamcast was exactly the same. I ended up with two Hori Fightsticks to play that game. It was a very special experience because it was the first polygonal fighter that felt like you were looking at characters and not just polygons. And the sword slash visual effects were beautiful as was the flowing nature of the game. Super smooth animation and fluid gameplay. Remember that one of the awesome features was unlocking each characters motion captures kata movie. Just watching them dance around was a wonder.

Whether this is real or imagined, to me itā€™s that fluidity that has disappeared from the series. SCV felt very clunky and the entry level gameplay felt very ā€œblock block counterā€ ā€œblock block counter.ā€ The meters and weird super attacks and armor mechanic add nothing to the game but needless complexity. The characters are no longer anything special. And while the ā€œmake a fighterā€ thing was neat in SC IV I really think it was a resource intensive distraction that is ultimately a dead end for the series.

So I have very mixed feelings about SC VI. I really donā€™t want to see another version of the game with moderately upgraded characters using all the same animations from previous games but with a few new characters added in for good measure and a gigantic booted roster (i.e. Tekken - sorry Tekken fans). If they are going to do something with this series it needs to be bold. Otherwise itā€™s just going to be another inferior sequel to SC 2, and weā€™ve had three of those already.

1 Like

To me, this almost seems like a sequel fatigue issue for the series. I absolutely loved the first SC game (and Soul Blade before it for that matter), but next few games, while great, were still more of the same to me.

So after a few games, it almost seemed as though they thought ā€œokay, now we really have to change things up to keep things fresh.ā€ So they added a whole bunch of crap and meters and super attacks and honestly, for me, it not only made the later games less fun, but it made them less unique as well.

You mentioned fluidity, and thatā€™s one of the things I loved about the earlier games. Circling your opponent, dodging attacks, parrying in different directions. Sure, there were some crazy looking moves, but the fluidity of the weapon to weapon combat was like a beautiful chess match.

I think they really ruined that with a lot of the loud garbage they put in, and itā€™d be nice if they went back to what made the game feel so unique and fun to play.

I still love some of the characters move sets and the unique things that they can do with their weapons. But SCVā€™s new characters were as bland, repetitive and uninspiring as any Iā€™ve ever seen in a fighting game sequel. I think that hurt as much as anything else.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a dead end, as I do think itā€™s something unique among fighting games (to an extent) and that kinda helps identify Soul Calibur now. Having a new SC game without a robust create modeā€¦ I dunno, I think many fans have come to expect it.

That said, having something because itā€™s expected and having something because itā€™s actually a valuable use of time and resources on the development as well as using on the player end are two very different things (obviously).

I loved using this feature in the older games, but oddly enough, as they got better at this mode, my interest lessened. Sure, there was a ton of stuff to customize the appearance of your character, but at the end of the day, thereā€™s always a wall between a character creator and a truly created character from the ground up due to the gameplay restrictions.

You canā€™t just create some OP mess gameplay-wise since each character type and weapon come with their own built in move list (if I recall correctly). So at the end of the day, youā€™re basically just taking a move list and creating a physical delivery system for that move list. That doesnā€™t sound quite as fun to me now as it did back in the SC3 days.

So if they did bring this back, Iā€™d hope that theyā€™d modify it heavily to allow players to have more of a role in crafting a move list thatā€™s fun, but not overpowering. I donā€™t know how you do that exactly.

Sure, maybe you allow players to build throws from scratch somehow. Guessing thatā€™d be insanely difficult, but at the very least, itā€™d be great to choose your throws from a massive list. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

From there, itā€™d be great if choosing a weapon gave you lists of moves that you could cobble your move list together from, and choosing moves and combos would eliminate options that would make your character too powerful. Again, not an easy system to create at all, but there has to be some level of customization / personalization in this portion of the game, because being able to create a guy that looks like Sub Zero or Ryu or whatever lost its luster a long time ago.

While I absolutely believe that they have to have a core group of returning characters, as the characters are a big part of the series, Iā€™d limit it to 15 tops, and then have another 15 brand new, non-remix / copy style characters.

Iā€™d go with:

Mitsurugi
Kilik
Maxi
Xhianghua
Voldo
Cervantes
Ivy
Taki
Nightmare
Raphael
Cassandra
Tira
Zasalamel
Astaroth
Yun Seong

Of course, I would like to see them try and rework their move lists to make them as unique from their prior iterations as much as humanly possible. Perhaps the ā€œgimmickā€ for the fighting could be, instead of super moves, the ability to play with a perfected version of their old move lists from previous games (minus super moves and what not) and a completely new move list, built from the ground up.

Maybe that idea steps on MKXā€™s ā€œvariationsā€ idea, but Iā€™m not just talking about having a few new moves that change how you play with them. Iā€™m talking about giving them the same weapon, but having every single move be different. A tall order, for sure, but I think it could be fun if done well.