So, Is The New Shadow Move Effect Optional?

I couldn’t vote for either of these options, because I would actually like something between the two.

THIS!!! The cool thing about the old shadow effect was that it looked like and behaved like a shadow. At the ends the black ink would twist and curl and move like a mass of shadow and that looked awesome. If they twist the new one, adjust the shades of purple so that it fades out properly at the edges like a shadow instead of being a purple splotch it would be cool

3 Likes

I would like it if could choose what colour

Yeah they said that the effects weren’t final, but I don’t know how much of a “touching up” they’ll do between the stream version yesterday and the final release on the 29th, but I do hope that they find a way to make it look like a more refined, better animated version of the original and not just a cloud around the character.

Others have used the term generic, and while I hate to be so dismissive of others’ hard work (or derisive of it, for that matter), I do think that having the effect look so similar for all characters due to there not being any real, tangible shadowing animation of the specific special move is problematic.

That said, like I mentioned above, I don’t need this giant trail of blurry shadow movements copied from the original movement. I like the new effect and how it animates, but I still think it needs to retain a small amount of the actual shadowing of the move, otherwise why even call it a shadow move?

Just have one (or two at the absolute most) darker purple shadow copies with a nice, crisp purple trail on it. Doesn’t even have to be as defined or with the colors of the characters blurred in. A more purple and black outline that sort of blooms in and out quickly would more than suffice.

I’m sure that some moves will be harder to do than others, but I do think that this new animation is moving in the right direction, it just needs a bit more of what makes the move look so unique, not just to the specific move and dressing it up as a super move, or something cool that’s specific to that character (animation wise, I mean), but for a mechanic specific to KI as well.

Another small suggestion, which may seem greedy, would be to have the shadow color be character specific. Like Jago’s could be a dark blue, Thunder’s could be more of a mustard color, Glacius could be bluish white, Omen could be black with a twinge of dark blue, Cinder’s could be orange, Aria’s could be gold, Kim Wu’s could be a light pink, Hisako’s could be a dark red, Orchid’s could be a dark green, and so on and so.

I think that’d be a cool, character specific thing, though I’m guessing if the change has a canon story reason, they probably need them all to be the same color because it’s shadow energy or something along those lines.

I’m sure they could do a story reason for it being a character specific color, but if not, no problem. The actual move, at this point, matters a good deal more. Really hoping this gets spruced up a good deal before release.

2 Likes

The effect should vary from character to character. If the purple stuff from supernatural origin, then Aria shouldn’t have it.

1 Like

I think the new shadow effect is terrible.

They seem intent on adding orange and purple to the entire game, and it makes it garish and tacky. But that isn’t even the worst part, as the previous effect had this nicely animated grading effect with beautiful afterimages fading out smoothly from the character into the background and helping the animation itself to look better. Grey blends in and out much better into any stage and move and character than PURPLE, so even if they decide to add back the afterimages, the fact it’s purple will still keep it from being as well-integrated as the old effect ever was.

KI3 had never been and will never be a polished game due to the budget and schedule, but the old shadow effect was one of the few polished, next-Gen things in the game.

They already removed the darkening projectiles, now they remove the shadow effects. The only next-Gen thing left are the sparkles.

2 Likes

@LAGO407 I agree it’s like a splash of colour.

Basically this…

So it’s unfinished if we could mix them both we’d wed be very happy?

But on the other hand without more stages, odd stage enders and faces to clean up this really wasn’t on ANYONE’S list.

In my opnion KI “had” the best shadows in a fighter so far…

I agree totally. It didn’t need changing I’d rather the artist worked on Kims, orchids = hair

I’d probably match up the colors with their powers and not their outfits.
Orchid glow yellow like the fire cat, Thunder gets dark grey like a storm cloud, Kim Wu gold and blue like a friggin dragon…ect

They need a TOGGLE in the options menu.

Motion blur is optional, so make this one optional also. Let me keep the grey, cool, maybe intrusive effect, while people who were bothered by it can use the new one.

THAT’S IT. PROBLEM SOLVED.

4 Likes

Really dislike the wording on the poll. It becomes biased with an opinion going into it. A simple yes or no and then encourage an explanation of why they voted what they did in the comments would be better.

2 Likes

But we need to be careful we don’t inject too much primary color into the game.

I’d go on the skin that ur using… Look at Thunders… yes it’s distracting a little but the colour is PERFECT.

It looks like shadows, it shows muted colours and it shows fantastic fluidity.

4 Likes

When I first saw the shadow effects, my first thought was “Well, its different and may be cool in person if they are color specific to the characters” (I was watching Arbiter for the new vfx so the purple made sense with his carbine etc). I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it, I was more intrigued as to why only purple. After seeing a number of posts on the news that came yesterday, I saw that people were saying that it may have something to do with Gargos and tie into the story. If thats the case maybe it will all come together in the end and come March 29 I will love it. I also wondered if it had anything to do with a time restriction due to the new lighting system, which would leave some room for tweaking it a bit. Overall I prefer the original shadow effects but it will be interesting to hear why they did the change as it was not addressed yet (unless I missed something). Overall, with everything coming to KI in S3, I am so hyped that this is by no means a huge deal to me. Cant wait for release date!!!

1 Like

Purple is a secondary color tho.

I was talking about using the colors that are already present in the characters special effects/moves. Also Orchid already glows yellow

1 Like

I would love to have a toggle to it just like motion blur.[quote=“BetoMachado, post:30, topic:5509”]
They need a TOGGLE in the options menu.
[/quote] That or for the color to change with each character[quote=“VergoVan, post:29, topic:5509”]
Orchid glow yellow like the fire cat, Thunder gets dark grey like a storm cloud, Kim Wu gold and blue like a friggin dragon…ect
[/quote]

2 Likes

How is it bias? Lol.

Both yes and no have positives that fit their type of shadow and there is still YES and NO. There is also a huge forum bellow it to tailor your opnion exactly and let us know what you think also.

One is less detailed (atm) and solid purple.

The other is less over the top and more fitting with the frames of the action.

No one will be swayed by these wordings.

SOME may want shadows that sit back a little rather than obstruct frames, OTHERS my miss the detail that we once had.

Nothing is bias here but it does give two pros for EACH for ppl to think about.

Everyone has a brain on here… and darlings NO ONE is short of an “opnion” either :blush:

1 Like

I always thought orchids yellow glow was odd becuase it was the only one that was different lol.

Now she’s gonna be purple :blush::blush::blush:

Totally me too! It’s gonna get better… but this poll is our feed back to IG

That’s what we are here for right?:smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t think it looks nice at all, and I don’t understand why they mess with what isn’t broken and have time/budget for that but have no time/budget for 8 stages for 8 characters…

3 Likes

Darn… told you people weren’t short of opinions haha