Shadow Lords TOO HARD!

This is kind of amazing to me. They should allow you to only choose a single captain and then recruit as you play. That would give the game another twist.

In fact, I never even tried to see if this is a possibility. Can you do this if you have the entire game?

Hopefully they can update the game to replace the locked random option as an end button or add that option (like Capcom VS Snk 2 on ratio mode when you can decide to have just a single character or two, rather than being forced to have the 3 characters on your team), it would give an interesting twist for players that own every character or most of them.

You do realize that this one person youā€™re talking about doesnā€™t actually represent the whole of casual fighting game fans or their skills, right? Itā€™s also just a tad bit condescending to come in here and have to humble yourself a bit and admit that somethingā€™s a bit harder than youā€™d like it to be, only to have someone else come in and basically say ā€œyeah my friend that barely plays fighting games? Yeah he beat this, so anyone should be able to.ā€ The implication behind that statement to anyone thatā€™s found the mode to be a bit on the punishing side being pretty obvious here.

What exactly is your motivation here? Iā€™m curious. Donā€™t get me wrong, like I said, I plan to keep trying and I do enjoy this mode immensely. But your example aside, Iā€™m trying to look at a bigger picture outside of myself and my fandom, as Iā€™ve seen a bit more evidence (though itā€™s admittedly still anecdotal) from people that this mode can be a bit too punishing.

Again, not saying that the mode should be a cake walk, as that defeats the need for all of the consumables and guardians etc in the first place, but for people that want the stage, there could be some unwanted frustration over something thatā€™s meant to be fun. I think that this could be remedied a bit by allowing people playing on normal to unlock the stage.

Thanks!! Iā€™ll give this method a try. I still want to beat him with a group of characters that I enjoy using on a regular basis, but I get what youā€™re driving at here and I think it makes sense. I wish that I were good enough to beat him with a little less velveeta, but maybe thatā€™s not the point?

To try and get people to understand that Challenging difficulty isnā€™t so hard that only pro players can do it, that you donā€™t need microtransactions or even your characters of choice.

I donā€™t see any reason why the devs should give the stage to people on a lower difficulty so that they can play the mode as little as possible. I understand that @MudArcade has already stated that he does enjoy the mode. Thatā€™s good, and I have faith heā€™ll eventually be able to beat it on Challenging as it is right now.

I only stand by my points because I see what I want from this mode and how I think it will be fun. I guess making the stage unlockable on Normal wonā€™t really affect me. But lowering the difficulty on Challenging would make the mode boring, because it lowers the risk of all my decisions. Am I selfish in this thought? Probably. But thatā€™s what I think.

When the devs revealed this mode, they said something along the lines of ā€œBe prepared to lose a lot. Once you accept that you will lose, you will be in the right mindset to work towards beating the mode.ā€ I think some players are not at this point yet.

1 Like

Isnā€™t so hardā€¦ For you. Again, this mode tends to be geared more toward casual players by its very nature. Can we agree on that? Iā€™m not saying theyā€™re the only people that play the mode. Godlike difficulty undoubtedly exists for this very reason.

But I just think that thereā€™s a chance that, more likely than not, there will be players with mediocre skills, but the desire to unlock everything. You canā€™t just say ā€œgit gudā€ to these people or ā€œanyone can do it.ā€ Theyā€™ll just go find something else to play instead.

There are obviously a ton of players out there that donā€™t come to this site, that have no idea what the best load out is to cheese Gargos for a win, who will play a few times and be disgusted with the difficulty and quit and thatā€™s even assuming they know the whole purpose of the mode and the fact that youā€™re not supposed to be able to beat it the first few times going through.

So you think it would be better to force people in to a situation where they become frustrated and want to quit the entire game because the content they want to see is locked behind something that makes them angry?

Look, I get it, games are too easy these days and players should want to be better and learn and play harder, etc. But thatā€™s not the entire audience of a game. Itā€™s just not. Some play for the challenge, no question, and of course you canā€™t make the game geared toward the worst players at the expense of the decent or better players, but there could be a better balance, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying.

Yeah okay, Iā€™m trying to think of other people and how other casuals might perceive the mode. As far as Iā€™m personally concerned? Iā€™m enjoying the grind.

I think youā€™re right about adjusting the difficulty on Challenging. There has to be a middle ground between Godlike and Normal thatā€™s stiff enough to force you to upgrade, but not with the kind of difficulty that Godlike offers.

I think the stage unlocking on normal would be good for people that are more content oriented and are interested less in the grind, in losing a lot, etc. To me, itā€™s better to cast as wide a net as possible and keep more people happy. I mean, Iā€™m sure most casuals would enjoy the mode and playing against opponents and unlocking mimic skins and what not. I donā€™t think it just has to be about the stage and then thatā€™s it.

Thatā€™s certainly true, but I also think that thereā€™s probably a decent number of players that either A. hate losing by its very nature and B donā€™t follow what the devs do or say and maybe have no idea why this mode is so punishing beyond the idea that itā€™s steering you toward unlock items/guardians or, on a more sinister level, perhaps steering you toward microtransactions.

Now, I agree with you that you absolutely do NOT need those to beat this mode. But I think itā€™s entirely possible for some people to play this mode, get to Gargos, get thoroughly destroyed and come away with the assumption that the only way to beat it is to spend real money.

The more they can do to mitigate that possibility, the better.

It just takes patience and time.

I have yet to actually just play on Challenging, and wade through all the battles to get Gargosā€™ buffs off. In order to do that, I would have to pick the characters I know best, and at this point Iā€™m just having fun playing in Normal, picking whatever character team, and just trying to amass a ton of items, all the lore, and have fun. Maybe once I unlock all the dossiers, get some more mimic skins, and reach a level of understanding of the game with a few more characters to where I feel comfortable, I will then jump into Challenging for real, but right now Iā€™m just not there.

For the record though, Boss Gargos is nothing but cheeseā€¦but I get you. I too have my preferred characters and will try to beat him with them, but at the same time I know that in order to get everything I want in SLs, Iā€™m going to have to play with everybody to a degree. I see/saw the Stage as just one of those things. Maybe after I unlock everything (or maybe just some more stuff) I will go back in and try and push through a challenging or Godlike run, but right now I need to get my skills up a bit more before I start banging my head against that wall (lol).

FYI: When I beat challenging Gargos, I just skipped right to him and fought him with all buffs. That Gargos isnā€™t meant to be far, so I have no regret about doing what I did. I did that Challenging run after playing on Normal and beating that mode at least like 10 times, so I had a ton of items to burn, and just wanted to see if I could do it. This is also after trying to play a legit Challenging runā€¦which just wasnā€™t fun as I was burning through resources like nobodies business.

At the end of the day though, you can do it. Again, just find your strat, and execute.

I find the one try gargos very off putting. All that work for one shot. Iā€™ve barely touched the game in weeks because of this and a few other issues I have with it.

1 Like

All of this here makes perfect sense to me, and itā€™s really how I shouldā€™ve gone in at the start. I figured ā€œIā€™ll get the stage first, get that over with, and then move down to normal so I can really enjoy playing the matches, making the decisions, unlocking the skins, the lore parts, etc.ā€ Probably not the best path I couldā€™ve chosen lol.

Youā€™re also right on the cheese part with Gargos. I guess I was hoping that some modicum of skill would get me passed him once I had enough in terms of guardians and consumables, but trying to beat him in a straight up match doesnā€™t seem to be doing me much good.

Absolutely.

Iā€™m pretty sure the game straight up tells you ā€œDonā€™t be afraid to lose!ā€ after you complete the tutorial segment.

Though TBH not many people read those anyway :unamused:

Many other games have done this. Remember Mileena skin #3 in MK9? That was fun, right?

Is this a good design idea? I guess thatā€™s up to interpretation.

1 Like

Thats what they do man, they come in and try to make you look bad by being condescending. Its on nearly every thread. Especially if they dont agree with your opinion. there is a hand full of regulars that do this. I just ignore them.

5 Likes

Git gud
KAPPA

Iā€™ll put this out there for everyone, Shadow Lords, much like old boss Shadow Jago, doesnā€™t require skill to beat, at least not a lot. Have you ever lost an online match to a Jago that just kept jumping Mk because your game was off? Sureā€¦ We all have. The thing with shadow lords, youā€™re chances of winning come from your preparations. Play normal, get guardians, consumables, artifacts, stockpile resources to make your team op. I played normal 5 times before I tried challenging. I wanted a snake guardian since it was key to my strategy along with odorous wolf hearts. I farmed until I got them and beat challenging my first go. It was no cake walk, it took all 3 characters to win, but I did. Unblockable attacks, 1 chance break into poison ender. Always attack him, donā€™t let him instinct or summon minions. That is what I used. I know there are other strategies, like flip out spam, or meaty throw spam, find what works for you and have patience. The mode is hard, so it feels rewarding when you win. If everyone could dominate shadow lords day one and earn all the skins, what would be the purpose? Why are games like Contra, Mega Man and Castlevania still soo popular when they were punishingly difficult? No game is for everyone, but there are difficulty levels for everyone. If challenging is too hard, better prepare for the next time. You will unlock everything eventually.

Anyone that wants help developing strategies can talk to me. I can even give some tips on how to get items and ways to setup teams.

1 Like

I have to say that I agree with you @SonicDolphin117, the game actually tells you ā€œDonā€™t be afraid to lose (or in the Shadow Lords case, die)ā€, in my case is something like common life when I play videogames and when I see a difficult challenge I canā€™t help but thing ā€œOK, I may have lose but when I have the determination of completing a task, is hard for me to step back of the challengeā€, I mean, I am now able to play Shadow Lords in Godlike mode and itā€™s hard, but at least for me is very fun and if I play well, for me it is a win big vs win bigger situation when I fight Gargos, I donā€™t feel like I trully lost a fight against Gargos when I fail to beat him because the game also gives you a reward for your efforts and if you got a pretty nice score, the rarest reward can save you for that match and be able to get the Astral Plane. I still remember the pain I got to pass for Mileenaā€™s skin in MK9 (both home version on PS3 and the PS Vita version).
Challenges like that makes my blood boil and get motivated to complete them.

1 Like

Very wise words @SullenMosquito. It takes time but eventually anyone can do it.

This community is helpful, just have to be open to it. Shadow Lords Gargos was designed as ā€œThe hardest fighting game bossā€ we knew that before it launched if you kept up with the game. It is a challenge. The only reward locked behind difficilty is just the stage. Having an exclusive reward gives a goal to achieve. Removing that exclusivity defeats the purpose of rewards. Shadow lords is nearing a month old. Iā€™ve stated before, no one likes a game they can beat in 1 sitting. Not to mention KI and Shadow Lords are free to play. Just keep at it, it takes time not everyone is a JWong. If you donā€™t get the stage one try, sit back, rush a few normals, get some mimic skins, and learn how gargos looks when he attacks. Guess break some animations, when you land a breaker, remember what you broke, then youā€™ll make him look like a joke :grin:

While I agree with most of what youā€™ve said, this I do not. In fact, there is a large portion of the community that still wants a proper arcade mode in KI.

1 Like

Iā€™m a part of that large portion!
Anyway Iā€™ve just unlocked Astral Plane, so @FallofSeraphs76 you can do it too.
Basically Iā€™m one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, KI players so you donā€™t need to worry, itā€™s just a matter of time.
zero procedure: my team was Glacius, Jago and Rash (my secret weapon, the chosen one for the final fight vs Gargos just like @BeautyLongsack has shown in his video).
Iā€™ve played some challenging SL instance not using artifacts to cure me after the fights, dying a lot but keeping all the loot until I had at least 3 hodorous wolf hearts, dragon scale-something III and that red nano-something III (again, see BeautyLongsack video)ā€¦I could not bear the idea of grinding to gain enough ingame-money to buy the best guardian pack so I spent some KI gold on it (gained what I wanted, 1 perfect snake, 1 killer bat and 1 killer ram).
Iā€™ve started my decisive run skipping turns until Omens beating them only with my Glacius with Snake and nano-things restoring my energy after every fight, Iā€™ve beaten maybe 3 or four Omens skipping every other fight until Gargos arrival.
Iā€™ve equipped wolf hearts and nano-things to every member, and set my team in this order: Rash (snake), Jago (bat) and Glacius (ram).
I lost with Rash lowering Gargos energy a lot and finished him with Jago (stopped 1 resurrection with HK).
If your objective, like mine, is to unlock astral plane, just farm the objects you want not wasting them in your preparatory runs (not much at least).
Good luck pal!

2 Likes

Things is I dont have time to play 4 days in a row to reach Gargos fully debuffed for a 3rd time. I have a career, 2 kids, a wife, home, cars, bills, I dont have time to play KI more than 1-2 hours per day. Id rather not spend those 2 hours playing shadow lords only to be cheated by Gargos.

Im not doing it again. Fukkk a Astral plane

Donā€™t worry, keep calm.
I too have a wife, two sons and all the rest :slight_smile: I usually play one or two hours after my two little monkeys fall asleep, I think my various runs required around 4 or 5 hours total (plus maybe two hours in old runs between beta and some play just for fun as soon as SL has been released).
I was terrified of the bug not unlocking the level, but seems I didnā€™t stumbled on it.
I think the most important part, for people low skilled like me, is to have a good guardian, perhaps the high level snake is the best (too bad find it is luck-related).

I understand your frustration anyway, I hope this will not become the rule for unlock possible future bonuses.

1 Like

4 days in a row? What? It doesnā€™t take that long. Just skip to the Omens, beat them, and fight Gargos. Plus the Astral Plane is a bonus. You donā€™t need it.

1 Like