Shadow Jago: The Real Hollywood Story

Just give shadow Jago an Air Endokuken, a teleport, and a raging demon! and you got yourself akuma!

There may be only one:
Your opponents are so mesmerized by the sheer awesomeness that is Shadow Jago that they leap into combo, and a quick defeat!

So far, I’m thinking he’s between Fulgore and Omen as far as juggling combo damage and resources.
Jago will do heavier damage per hit and chip but Shadow Jago can hit and chip more often.
So per hit I bet he’s slightly weaker but he makes up for in rushdown.

His defense, he won’t be any less durable than Jago, me thinks. ;0)

He does have air fireballs and his dash is similar to an akuma style teleport where he just phases through everything.

All we need is a grab ultra and I’m set to main Shadow Jago!

It creates a wall of projectiles, so to speak. It makes it so the opponent cannot jump over them so easily as they would with a single projectile.

As far as playstyle goes, I’m leaning towards a bit of an odd combination of rushdown and zoning, but with some massive tweaks.
I call it, “In your Face Zoning”
He has an easy time getting in, thanks to his multitude of options with fireballs and long rang high/low mix ups that all send him forward. However, he doesn’t want to stay close, since the removal of laser sword and quick dashing take out some of his best frame trap stuff. Plus, it seems a lot of his moves have something unsafe about them.

I reeeeaaaaaallllllllllly hope that everyone else gets an ultimate.

So I’m just assuming (and hoping) Shago’s new uppercut looks something like Jago’s sword uppercut from the old KIs, and if this is indeed the case then THANK YOU BASED KEITS!

1 Like

Ok that’s awesome. are You up to,finally fix Rivaled Achievement now? (since ranting in the bug report topic is useless)

Mine came bundled with mad catz TE2 for free.

If the grounded divekick is an overhead, and assuming that he can cancel the overhead normal into a special, then he can do a low-high-low or low-high-high string, where at least the low one can be made safe.

I might be overestimating his dash, but it sounds like a Fulgore teleport throw/DP 50/50, but maybe not as good since the DP is vertical.

This is how I’m imagining Instinct: hard knockdown > dash through > give yourself and opponent meter (timing dependent) > immediately do a surged slide (probably 0 on block now) to take it away from them > apply more low-high pressure cancelled into another surged slide (which takes away more/all of the meter you gifted them).

Also, you could probably stay full screen, giving yourself meter several times while using your opponent’s meter with surged Endokukens, which also takes away their projectile invulnerable move.

2 Likes

Excellent KI news! Awesome, Killer, Extreme, King, Monster, and Godlike KI news too! Shadow Jago is now FINALLY reborn! Shadow Jago hype! :smiley:

SHADOW JAGO HYPE REBORN! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Awesome news!!! The darkness has risen and he’s ready to unleash his fury upon all of you!

Nice, I was one of the people who complained that Shago had no sword based attacks. “Why pack a blade like that if you’re not going to use it.” Still wish they went farther with it and made some real grind like sword attacks. Shago’s sword should be brutally used. Just hope his animations aren’t just dialed in.

Also hope he is as loud and violent as boss Shago that yells often.

1 Like

Right, I hope he uses his sword for more than just his dragon punch and throw, just like how regular Jago uses it for many of his punch attacks.

And double yes, while I’m happy that they changed his dragon punch, I am still worried that his animations will look low budget. They made a lot of changes to his moveset after all

Just when I started to get excited about KI and laughed about Zangief (not Alex) being revealed on the same day as Shago’s update, Ono gives me Laura.

Oh my, you’re right! That would be do cool!! Really got my hopes up for that now lol :smile:

On another note, I don’t know if @TheKeits can answer this but what’s the Dark Tether look like? Is it like Kan-ra’s curse or more like Cinder’s pyrobombs, or possibly an effect on the opponents meter like Spinal’s curse?

Why must the good die young

I’ll try my hand at weaknesses. This is all just pure speculation.

1. Weaker defense than Jago; with a vertical DP, you can stand closer and threaten to meaty without getting hit by DP.

2. Weaker approach; sure, the walk speed buff is nice, but he won’t be walking as fast as Orchid I don’t think (Jago actually doesn’t walk all that fast). Committing to a “long” dash, even if it has a period of invincibility in the middle, means it will be hard to find that range you like. I don’t think the dash will be as long or as far as an Akuma teleport, but I imagine canceling the dash into dive kick will be easy to anti-air on reaction, and there will be presumably punishable frames if you don’t cancel it, so you won’t be able to easily use dash for spacing.

3. Surge specials might be important; I imagine surge specials will be super good, but maybe his regular specials won’t be all that great to make up for it (in a way, sort of like Cinder). Maybe he will be a super big meter hog and if you’re starved for meter (vs Spinal or you just spent your meter, etc), you just won’t be able to do much. Jago is the king of safe specials, and I don’t think Shadow Jago will be like that without doing surge.

4. Instinct not a game changer; for characters to be very very good in KI, their instincts have to be insane game changers. The only exception to this rule is, I think, Fulgore, who has a decent but not overwhelming instinct but is still very good. Wulf, Sadira, Jago, Orchid, Kan-Ra, Aria
 all the characters threatening for top tier have game changing instincts. Shago’s instinct probably does him little to no good if he 1) has no meter or 2) is full screen and can’t approach, making activation pretty situational and maybe not all that great in some rounds. If he can’t get the tether on you, he really isn’t any better than he is normally, so if you can just block all his fireballs and hit his dashes on reaction, what’s he gonna do? Probably land some setup for a hard knockdown and then try to dash through your body to apply the tether, ok, but that requires him to open you up without any help from instinct.

In reality though I think it all comes down to his movement. Just how fast is 15% faster than Jago? Just how big of a commitments are his dashes? How great are his footsies buttons at that range where he wants to dash, but can’t? If he struggles there, I can see him losing to characters with strong ground games (Orchid, maybe even Jago, etc).

2 Likes

I’m loving shago but I think Ima drink some bleach shadow endoukens doing 5 fire balls plus the fire ball speed increased good luck low profiling that.

Cool! I never heard of that option
must be rare!