Season 3 Practice/Dojo Modes

I failed in my community responsibility to write this in to the survey, and of course now I can’t go back. My apologies to all for missing this golden opportunity.

Just to highlight the importance of the training options available in the game, it is becoming increasingly common for people to point out that the Dojo mode is no longer relevant or up to date as far as Season 3 is concerned. There are major game elements, like recapture, flipout, armor (being beaten by grounded heavies) that are not addressed in the Dojo. When the Dojo came out it was, without a doubt, the best most user friendly and thorough tutorial mode I’d ever seen. Now it is lagging way behind. This really does matter to bringing in new players and keeping them from getting lost in the game.

I hope that the developers will have the resources and support from MS to address this in the near future. In the meantime, I continue to feel that an online practice mode will be a boon to the community. It allows people to host and train their online friends, but it will also allow content creators more flexibility in creating content than the tools available in Practice mode, which are admittedly very good.

3 Likes

Eyedol’s arrival really highlights how helpful and damn-near necessary expanded lab options are, not just in regard to reversal/wakeup recordings, but with regard to character specific resource/mechanic toggles. The random head switch makes recording his dummy a total pain, if nigh impossible to record reliably.

For real, Season 4 could be a micro-season focused on Lab upgrades and polish, and I think there’d be more benefit than not, both for new players and vets alike.

Character specific Dojo lessons would also be a HUGE boon for newer players, bit could be a TON of work. At least update the Dojo to go over the new mechanics/eliminate outdated lessons in their stead.

Make Training Great At Last 2017!

1 Like

The training mode could certainly use a boost. With the vast number of different play-styles, controls schemes, and most importantly unique resources that have been added to the game since the end of Season 1 is absolutely staggering. Jago may be the best representative for learning the basics of how Killer Instinct and fighting games in general function, but even with training mode and rigorous fan/dev made online tutorials it may be difficult to break down a certain character’s style into a form that feels both inclusive enough to help the people who need it most while also providing the depth that experienced players are looking for.

Also KI2 music plz

2 Likes

Bump because new on-topic and wholly related threads imply that this one needs bumpage.

1 Like

Still waiting on KI2/Gold music, character specific Dojo lessons, and Online Training with friends…
But I will not give up.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t be hard to implent honestly since it’s just practice mode with two players. I’d love to be able to personally train my freinds and help them without a timelimite.

My ideal flow of new content if it comes would be Online dojo, Ultimates and extra colors for all cast. Lol

1 Like

Yea that would make the disc version definitive. Ki2 had some awesome stages

Based on the current discussion in the Good games thread, I think it would be nice to be able to set custom modes where you can disable certain moves etc. this would allow yo to practice certain things with a friend.

1 Like

Glad to see this thread still has some life in it. I am still wanting the online dojo myself so I can practice with friends without a time limit.

It probably wouldn’t work out or would be really hard to accomplish but I had an idea for an additional feature to the dojo mode. The combo system in KI is pretty simple to begin with but for the more technical and difficult to do combos that involve manuals and canceling I would like to have the combo actually written out on one side of the screen similar to what Guilty Gear has for its training mode. It would highlight which part of the combo your on as you go through and would allow you to see a demonstration of it. Perhaps even a way to allow user to share their combo with others.

2 Likes

Huh never considered that-
Unlimited play with unlimited shadow for as long as two players wanted to
Play…

Thanks so much for resuscitating this thread folks!

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!

1 Like

I find I’m wanting this more and more as time goes by…

6 Likes

I’m still wanting this to happen even if it’s just so we don’t have to stage/throw fights to practice things (I learnt how Fulgore’s target combo works, this far after Season 3 launch, simply because I did it accidentally). Online traning mode would’ve at least helped with learning things like that I reckon.

2 Likes

Further thinking, I’d be okay if they scrapped an online dojo for each character if we could get the modes like ki2 for infinite practice / infinite shadow etc o.n Any stage

I’m not opposed to individual character dojos, but if they do this they should focuse in explaining the character’s unique traits. I don’t know that we need a weird manual combo challenge with each character. But a walkthrough if their instinct properties, any recapture, flip out etc that they have and maybe a juggle combo or two.

The online practice mode would just be so much more versatile.

5 Likes

Shameless bump on a damned worthy topic of discussion

2 Likes

Given the recent news of additions and expansions coming to SL, I hope this idea doesn’t get pushed too far down in the priorities list. In addition to getting more people to play the game, we need to have a way to help get better together.

3 Likes

I was playing Skullgirls this weekend with my brother. During an online match you can simply toggle to practice mode before the match starts. Infinite time, life and meter. This can’t be that hard to do…

4 Likes

bump so that this doesn’t get pushed too far down the priority list.

2 Likes

Bump bump bump.

Still would love to have an online training mode.

2 Likes