Returning Characters for a hypothetical new KI

If I were playing armchair developer though, I’d probably leave out the guests, bosses and remixes, so no more Raam, Arbiter, Rash, Gargos, Omen, Eyedol, Shadow Jago, Shin Hisako or Kilgore.

That’s already nine characters out of the game. I think I’d be MORE than happy with everyone else returning and then having ten new characters for a total of 30.

However, if I’m cutting a bit deeper, I think I’d be okay with letting these characters miss a game:

Thunder: I kinda think it’s Eagle’s time to shine. Maybe Thunder gives his tomahawks to Eagle, which helps expand his movelist slightly. Maybe he’s still in the story as more of a guide or maybe Eagle has to help him somehow?

Riptor: Seems odd leaving out two of the three original KI characters that were left out to begin with, but with Fulgore being the symbol of KI, I could see Ultratech needing a new pet project.

TJ Combo: He’s got a great backstory, but he’s not really tied to any other characters, he’s just sort of “one more good guy” right now. Not saying he can’t have a bigger part, but right now, he seems somewhat expendable.

Tusk: His main reason for being seems to entwine more with Gargos than anyone else. If that’s the case, then maybe he’d be best off getting released from his immortality somehow and maybe having his sword be a plotpoint in the next game.

ARIA: Honestly, I loved what she did in the current game, but would her motivation really match up with a corporation post-Gargos? I’d love to see her displaced by the board of directors or something along those lines and have a charismatic, evil human installed as CEO. An executive / suit, but one with superhuman powers, perhaps modified due to Ultratech expirements. Some sort of hybrid of Geese Howard, Calypso from Twisted Metal (the long haired comic one, not the potato headed guy from TM:Black) and Agent Smith from the Matrix.

Ravan, we’re just talking hypothetically here, man, do we really need to get in to stuff like this in this thread? Also, I’m not saying we all need to be on our best behavior whenever a developer strolls in to a thread, but man… Adam asks a question about which ten characters you’d bring back and you come in with characters without stages and special moves? :neutral_face:

Maybe it wasn’t in response to him and it was just a general statement in the thread, but still.

Who’s being hypocritical about what now? I’m not sure what you mean. Also, why should fame have anything to do with a character’s budget? If we’re talking the cost of a standard character versus a remix or whatever, how about we just skip that and assume for the next game that character costs are, for the most part, equal and go from there?

1 Like

I feel the same way about Orchid.

Anyway, for my 10:
Jago
Fulgore
Tusk
Kim
Shin Hisako (but I would recommend having her play and look more like regular Hisako)
Eyedol
Maya
Kan-Ra
Eagle
Glacius

1 Like

Yeah I was kinda thinking about this too. I mean, story-wise, hasn’t she more or less evolved in to Shin Hisako? Does old Hisako technically still exist?

I wonder if, in a future game, perhaps she can switch weapons / move sets in-game, or she has two styles and you choose which style you want at the select screen, but she’s only Hisako and she only occupies one roster spot?

we screamed years for having them all, and now we have to talk about who we do not want? WTF

1. Sadira
  2. Sadira
  3. Sadira
  4. Sadira
  5. Sadira
  6. Sadira
  7. Sadira
  8. Sadira
  9. Sadira
  10. And maybe Jago
7 Likes

for this reason I prefer season 4, a new interface, a new way that continues the story, is the best way to carry out a fighting game, it is not necessary to start all over again.

Raven, it’s hypothetical. It’s not real. We’re just having a conversation here. The point of the thread is who people want to see return, then Adam put a spin on it for people to pick their ten that they’d want back, with a MASSIVE disclaimer that this has nothing to do with anything beyond him wanting to see the debates and rationale.

I don’t see why you’re making this in to a thing.

Yes please!

From your lips to the shadowlords ears, man, I REALLY want a 4th season! I’d love to see them add some of the ideas talked about around here, like a Lovecraftian character, a wise old sage, a djinn, an MMA grappler type, a witch, etc to this game.

But if they do decide to go another route and give us a full on sequel, I’ll be happy with that as well, as I’d really like to see what else they can come up with and what they can do with the existing characters, new characters, etc. Maybe I’ll like it and maybe I won’t, but I have faith, especially if Adam’s handling the lore and IG’s designing the characters.

I’d love to see Mick back on the music, but either way, I think MS/IG have made one of my all time favorite fighters, so I’m more than willing to cut them some slack on what they decide to do next with KI (unless it’s nothing, of course, then I’ll be baking frownies from here to eternity lol).

1 Like

My 10 characters I’d wanna see return for no particular reason other than I wanna see them return:

Jago
Fulgore
Shadow Jago
Aganos
Hisako/Shin Hisako
Cinder
Kim Wu
Tusk
Mira
Eagle

Idk…with the obvious exceptions of stages, asscesories, etc. I feel that the game is in a good place to say it is complete. A good amount of characters that each have a different play style and we still have not reached certain potential of some characters. Besides adding more characters so late into the game will leave the newer characters in the shadows while most people go toward more familiar characters. Just look at post-season 3 characters.

A new KI (if there is planning of one) would allow for bigger innovations and evolve from some of its mistakes in the past, be it glitches, adding ultimate later into the game whatever it may be, a new KI in my opinion would be 10x as better then a new season. They only problem is people will actually have to wait longer for it. Some people would rather have immediate satisfaction.

Also, Lago +1 on your post, so well thought out and interesting

Since I have a obsession with Eagle, I would love to see him taken in this direction! I’m having so many ideas. Maybe it can him struggle with the culture shock from returning home due to all the time he was captured. Maybe he can have struggles feeling human due to his cyberazation. He can even feel like he doesn’t belong in his tribe. There are so many ways they can go, I can’t wait to see!

Eagle with Thunder’s Tomahawks…Awesome! He can still have his hybrid archetype with him being a close range grappler and a mid range whip user. His bird can be used in shadow moves instead of being an assist. ■■■■ there’s so much they can do with him

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he either 1) died when Omen and Gargos were defeated, or 2) Jago killed him.

1. Jago
  2. Omen
  3. TJ Combo
  4. Killgore
  5. Hisako
  6. KanRa
  7. Mira
  8. Aria
  9. Glacius
  10. Eagle
1 Like

I love this sort of hard questioning.
If I’m gonna be honest I think I’ll just throw in my favorites.

Sabrewulf
Thunder
Sadira
Spinal
Fulgore
Riptor
Kan-Ra
Hisako
Tusk
Mira

1 Like

There’s plenty of threads to talk about what you’d like from KI in ways other than this very specific topic on characters - this isn’t one of those threads. Please don’t derail it.

6 Likes

Orchid for sure! Fulgore and Sadira for sure should make a return and lastly a insanely powered but more complex Kan Ra that fit what TAKEM666 posted on this forum and twitter.

Please Just MAKE SURE THERE WILL BE A NEW KI.

The thought literally passed through my mind as I read the first sentence. I mentioned up above that maybe Fulgore has a slight tinge of humanity if him. What if Eagle had a slight bit of the opposite in him? Maybe this is a mental issue for him, but then it becomes physical as some aspect of the of the process starts spreading in his body?

Maybe I’m overreaching here, but I think it’d be kinda cool to portray this flawed main character as someone that wants to be what he was, but can’t, and someone that’s changing mentally, but doesn’t understand it until it’s perhaps too late. There are some more serious themes that these could be metaphors for, but even if they’re not going down that road, I think it’d be cool to have a hero like this that’s trying to overcome these problems while moving toward a goal that may eventually run counter to his “programming.”

Given how ranged Eagle is now, I wonder how easy it’d be to incorporate Call of the Earth in to his move set. Either way, I think it’d be cool if he got Thunder’s Triplax move, as it’d be nice to see him get a slightly more standard, grounded opener. I could definitely see the Phoenix sort of repurposed for shadow moves and perhaps enders as well. Like maybe he can sort of “change” the property of his ender by adding a Phoenix move on to it like the stun or perhaps something else.

Is that true? I thought he was still in the comic. Hard to tell what’s happened to him. I look at Shago slightly differently than Omen and Gargos because Shago himself is almost kind of an accident. Once Omen was expelled form Jago, that should’ve been it, but instead, Shago was created as this separate entity.

I think it’d be a cool idea to maybe give that new entity some new motivations and a purpose that’s unique and separate from Gargos and Omen. Maybe that’s just me though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Combo
Jago
Sabrewulf
Orchid
Fulgore
Thunder
Riptor
Glacius
Spinal
Kim

10 of the 39 we already have? Huh? But we only have 29? Hmm. Season 4 confirmed with 10 characters? Probably just a typo though. As for 10 characters, here would be my list.

KI1 Represenatives:
Jago-Pretty much the main protagonist of Killer Instinct. From a functional and gameplay standpoint, he is also very important for the game as well. He serves as the fundamental, basic beginner character to fill the shoto archetype.

Fulgore-He’s the posterboy of Killer Instinct. Let’s be real. It’s not Killer Instinct without Fulgore. He pretty much represents . His gameplay is also very unique. It’s similar to Jago but more advanced. I feel that this is very important as well. A slightly more meter management based shoto would be good for the game.

Orchid-The main female protagonist of the game. From a story perspective, she still hasn’t flushed out Ultratech yet. As for gameplay purposes, she is the main footsies character and having one is really good in a game as fast paced as KI.

Riptor/Cinder-One of the two would do nicely. No need for both imo. They are Ultratech fighters. That’s kind of it. Riptor is a simple rushdown character. Plus she is a dinosaur. Newer players love dinosaurs and it draws players in. Also she can be used to show the power of the One X. Dinosaur built for 4k. Same could be said for Cinder though. More complex but flashy. Imagine how amazing the fire looks though. One in the base game and the other defenitely will be DLC

KI2 Reps:
Kim Wu-From what I can see, she is the new protagonist based on the comics and shadow lord cutscenes. We need some females in the game as well. Her grounded approach is good for the game as well as Orchid.

Maya-Leader of the night guard. Nuff said for story. As for gameplay, her daggers and the ability to lose them is unique among the rest of the cast and with some modifications to her dagger assault, her playstyle could be changed to something else if need be.

KI 2013 Reps:
Kan-Ra-Story wise, he did nothing wrong. On a serious note, have him do something crazy like make the universe collapse faster by bringing out a new monster. Functionally, his insane trap nature would be really cool and would look amazing with 4k sand.

Hisako-Story wise, I don’t care. Amazing backstory and design. Gameplay wise, her read based mechanics fit KI so well. She has to return.

Aria-She is the head of Ultratech. Gameplay wise, her usage of assists and unique life bar system is really cool.

Eagle-Lone wolf character and uses some of Thunder’s tools.

7 Likes

I would replace Riptor/Cinder with Glacius.

2 Likes

Yeah that defenitely makes sense story wise and gameplay wise. A zoner makes sense!

What’s up Adam?!

Ten characters is REALLY tough but I like the idea of quality over quantity…have each and every character impress and drop jaws in their own way.

My picks…

Jago
TJ Combo
Orchid
Thunder
Spinal
Fulgore
Sadira
Glacius
Cinder
Maya

(Plus a non-playable boss character so that doesn’t count :grimacing:)

Man a fully featured AAA budget Killer Instinct ‘4’ on Xbox Two (or whatever they call it) would complete my life. HNNNNNNNNG.

Edit…oh God I forgot Sabrewulf…10 is not enough :sob: