Returning Characters for a hypothetical new KI

NEEDS to include Fulgore but would be nice to get more Fulgore units like Kilgore. I’m thinking like 3; a big tanky one with grapples and what not with limited or no zoning, a better Kilgore zoner only type, as well as classic Fulgore.

If a full ‘KI4’ sequel becomes reality there’s no way they can just instantly dump 30 characters into it so if your asking for semi-realistic amount of characters for launch of the game my picks would be…

Jago
TJ Combo
Orchid
Chief Thunder
Sabrewulf
Glacius
Cinder
Spinal
Fulgore
Kim Wu (completely redesigned cause she looks horrid right now)
Hisako
Sadira
Shadow Jago (secret in-game unlock)
Gargos (boss)

That’s 14 characters at launch and then you can start filling in remaining characters based on popular demand via a season updates.

wasn’t the only reason there was only 6 characters at launch was because one); Microsoft rushed it so it could be a console exclusive launch, and 2); they had a much smaller budget back then.

I mean, if they really take their time and Microsoft gives them a larger budget, they could at least probably have 21 characters at launch. also, they might bring in a completely original villain, assuming they don’t want to reuse Gargos. I doubt Shago will return imo, matter of fact, I don’t think any of the remix characters will return imo

edit: plus they could go the NRS route and reuse a bunch of assets from the first game to save time

So hard choosing returning characters for KI since all of them are good returning candidates I feel. With that in mind, I would say the one character that shouldn’t come back is probably Kilgore. Story-wise, I thought he was the most thrown in character in the game. His gameplay was awesome though so they would need to find a good replacement for him.

1 Like

All characters should and could return. If i had to choose 4 to NOT return…

Spinal
Gargos
Shinsako
Guests

That’s 5 new spots for new characters.

No Spinal in a KI game??

C’mon son…

5 Likes

I get it… but just because he was on the side of the cabinet in 94 doesnt mean his story is any more meaningful in 2013’s version of the game.
He has the weakest story in the entire game right now that was unexplored. If they give him a better story then bring em back. But if I had to cut 1 main character based on story… its spinal.

Spinal needs some thing to do… he needs purpose. He was cut from KI2 and then brought back before release. They even felt then he didnt have much to offer story wise.

Spinal looks amazing and plays super cool… but this thread is about Hypothetical picks…he is my OG pick… Shinsako is my NG pick.

Err…basing who should return on Story alone is kinda ridiculous for Killer Instinct.

The whole idea of KI is to put the coolest most fun to use collection of characters together, let the chips fall where they may and then build the story around that. Hell in KI2 they created a time warp just to explain Tusk and Orchid being able to fight each other lol.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it ridiculous… thats a bit rude. the thread is asking what everyone’s thoughts are… so saying its ridiculous isnt cool.
Maybe your theory is ridiculous?

I’m really not trying to be rude, I’m just bringing up the core concepts of KI…it’s really not concerned with story…shrug

1 Like

It is now but Spinal should stay.

Interesting thread. Let me throw some fire on it:

What if only 10 characters came back? Who should make the cut then?

Massive disclaimer: don’t read anything into this beyond me wanting to see the debates and rationale from our forum members behind which 10 of the 39 we have would be worthy of returning.

Note that I personally have a very hard time with this idea as well, which is why it’s a good thing to think about. When push comes to shove, who’s really the best to keep for story, gameplay diversity, and style?

18 Likes

Oh wow, only ten!? Yikes. That’s a good question. I’d probably say:

Wulf: I love his struggle to find a cure. I love the character he’s become versus what he began as story-wise; this sort of arrogant noblemen. If anything, I’d love to see him return with the ability to transform between human and wolf forms, though I know that’d probably be impossible.

Sadira: Some might disagree, but I love this character. She’s a ruthless assassin, and story-wise, I’d love to see how she responds to her defeat. Maybe she gets kicked out of the Red Eyes of Rylai? What does a displaced assassin do?

Orchid: The revolutionary, the other main protagonist, she’s a loose cannon that needs to come in to her own as a leader while also seeking revenge and I think that’s a tough, but interesting line to walk for a character, especially one that seems to have some control issues.

Fulgore: Arguably the most symbolic character in KI, a main rival for Jago, and sort of the embodiment of soulless technology… Kinda. I think there are some interesting places a Fulgore with a miniscule touch of humanity could go.

Shadow Jago: A strange choice, I know. I orignally picked Jago and while he’s certainly main protagonist material with many allies and enemies, I’d kinda like to see what becomes of this guy after Gargos and the Omens are gone. What does he do? Who does he side with? What are his motivations and how can he go about achieving them?

Maya: A true leader in every sense of the word. She has a great rivalry with her sister and several natural enemies given who she is. I can’t use her in game to save my life, but story-wise, I think she has too much potential to leave out.

Kan Ra: The perfect example of one of those background schemers that might not be the top bad guy, but has the aspirations for it. Just a fun, impeccably made character from a story standpoint, he definitely needs to return, as I could see him having several plotlines with several characters.

Hisako: She’s honestly one of the staple characters from the new game as far as I’m concerned. She has a fun, unique look and style, but she’s also a bit of a tragic character who has plenty of room to evolve story-wise. I mean, what does a ghost do once she’s arisen? We’ve seen some plot development, such as gaining a friend in Kim Wu and gaining her father’s sword, but where else can she go?

Mira: The vampire, the fallen sister… Can she be redeemed? Does she aspire to lead the coven? She’s a great bad guy with a fun playstyle, plus she’s got arguably the best rivalry in the game with Maya. There are so many places she can go plot-wise!

Eagle: I could see him being a new sort of loner protagonist, and I love the sort of “human revived with alien tech” thing, and I’d really like to see that become a struggle for him, like he’s infected somehow and has to battle that in a way, kind of mirroring Jago having to purge his body of Omen. I’d also like to see how that reflects his kinship with Thunder and perhaps the other allies.

5 Likes

TJ Combo -before he was nerfed to death.
Jago
Kim Wu
Fulgore
Saberwulf
Spinal
Glacius
Shin Hasako
Maya
Orchid
+A female of African decent

Well, again, as long Orchid is one of them, I’m cool.
Tusk, Sadira and Mira would be nice as well though.

2 Likes

Jago
Orchid
Saberwulf
Glacius
Thunder
Spinal
TJ Combo
Maya
Riptor
Kim Wu

Besides two other contenders I had to give the axe for this list, I could easily wait for everyone else.

If it had to be a hypothetical 10 returning, I’d probably would picked Jago, Orchid, Maya, Kim Wu and TJ Combo to continue their teamwork as the Night Guard. Even if they gain new allies, their combined experience against various creatures gives them an edge for potential future encounters.

ARIA and Cinder for Ultratech as they seem to be the only sapient beings, besides the Coven, that could probably continue their work expand their goals to ‘uplift’ humanity by any means.

And potentially Sabrewulf, Glacius, and Fulgore as the ‘lone wolf’s’ in which their storylines happen to intertwined with the others and get caught up with their ordeals.

But it’s a tough call, cuz as much I would like to see more with Thunder, Eagle, Kan-Ra, Aganos, and (Shin) Hisako, their storylines sound like they might occur somewhere else where they’re dealing with their own issues without having other characters envolved.

Jago, fulgore, cinder, glacious, gargos/eyedol, tj, kim Wu, orchid, Aganos, kan ra

XD
they did not even have the money to complete this KI, let alone if KI 4 would have a different destiny, I do not want to see characters without stages, without special moves … I prefer to let them go, KI goes back to sleep.

In any case, my opinion is that they are all important. It is always and only a question of money and resources.
so, stop hypocrisy, let’s talk about which characters deserve to have the budjet first, only because they have more fame.