Rational Discussion of Three Stages for Season 3 Thread

Maybe Season 3 should simply have been delayed…

4 Likes

No thank you. I don’t care about the same things that you do, and am more than ready to get my new characters, balance-adjusted old characters, and brand new game mechanics.

The March timeframe also allows a reasonable amount of time for the game to “settle” before the big tournament season, which I appreciate since I’ll be going to a few this year :slightly_smiling:

So no. I’ll take my S3 March launch, thank you very much.

6 Likes

This, right here… I just don’t understand how people think they have a say in the core dynamics of the game. You pay to be able to play and that’s it. Your purchase gives you the keys to drive the car, not design it, not build it, not decide the budget and what $ is spent and where its spent, or any changes or updates.
Its actually kind of interesting in a way trying to figure out why people have this feeling of entitlement.

1 Like

The more I think about it, the more I’m focusing on the “3 brand-new stages” wording. Without trying to look into this too much, I’m really believing that with the lighting changes being a large focus for S3, there may well be “variations” of existing stages to choose from, and which will connect with new characters introduced in Season 3. Changing the color and amount of lighting on a stage could have a drastic effect, but still give us a very different feel without really being a NEW stage.

Aganos’ stage is a good example for this; imagine what that stage would look like at night, with some added details like a moonlit, starry sky, and maybe dolphins or fish leaping in the background. If a new character happens to come from the same area, it could easily connect to the “Forgotten Grotto - Night” stage and have its music assigned to it.

This would let us still have music tied to the chosen stage, have a stage assigned to each character, but only have 3 BRAND NEW stages.

3 Likes

I wish this will happen. Id love to see night time or day time versions of each stage. Why not? they did it with tiger lair!!! So we know it is possible!!! Also the dojo stage with the classic stage back grounds needs to be available as well. Yes the plain dojo is lame, but it will look great with Eyedols stage back ground and Eyedols music, or Chief Thunder Classic bridge stage with Classic music!

1 Like

I’m fairly certain Adam or Keits said they will never make the training stage select-able, and I hope they never do. I watch SF tournaments occasionally and it’s indescribably boring watching every match played out on that bare-white grid. Which is exactly the reason (if I’m remembering correctly) that was stated for the decision to leave the training stage in training mode only.

3 Likes

But the decision shouldn’t be made due to tournaments…it should be made for the casuals… just as your thread yesterday points out. If you dont like it in the tournament setting, then ban it from your tournament to where no one can select that stage. But for us that would like to use it at home, then it would be nice to have that opportunity outside of the dojo

1 Like

Their point was not just in regards to tournaments, but the idea that time and effort were put into designing characterful, engrossing stages for characters to fight on, and that’s where they’re intended to be. Part of that was in regards to tournaments, I’m sure - but I feel the same way with regards to the training stage; boring and I’d never want to fight on it out side of the Practice or Dojo modes.

Normally I’m all for the “include it but give me a choice” route for things, but in this instance I do feel the tournament end SHOULD dictate the stage. Kind of like the new Combo Break UI colors - there isn’t a way to show the old UI because they want a unified look across home and tournament play. If they make the stage accessible, it’s likely that you’d have a mix of tournaments using or banning the stage, and lose some of the value of the crafted stages.

If there were not classic back grounds to choose from, maybe I would agree, but given we can choose form all the classic and the music… it would be great to use them

1 Like

I think @rukizzel said that a shared stage is technically “another stage” but idk it seems like substantially less work to alter an existing stage.

i actually think they should take the dojo from K.I 2 and revamp it into a true K.I dojo training stage. with moving non static background, nice mellow music, the sensei from the old stage could return with more hd quality doing various qata in the background…maybe with various weapons that change each time you chooses the stage. ’

during ultimates the sensei could like stop wat he is doing and watch the ultra combo with an impressed look on his face

That was my mistake. I was thinking the original request was to have future characters share a stage with one another, not share a stage with something already existing! My mistake.

2 Likes

Okie Dokie thanks for clarifying

Really can’t wait until the big reveal on Thursday/whenever because the “answer without answer” stuff is finely crafted but does nothing to help the anticipation!

The way I read this, you’re not actually saying that the “stage variation” guesses are wrong;

I’m sure you can’t explain much more until reveals happen, but can you clarify whether a variation of an existing stage as I listed above would be something which would qualify as a “new stage” or not?

I also picture @TempusChaoti and a pair of lawyers reading over your shoulder any time you’re in front of a PC, just to make sure you’re not revealing too much. I heard the previous community managers are gibbering away in a basement somewhere, missing their hands and tongues; they’ll never leak information again.

2 Likes

In you’re own opinion would you say that there is a fair trade-off for the lack of character stages?

Don’t be petty the choice have been made, leggo

I’m.not petty, I’ll be getting ultra edition right when it drops, I’m just interested in the tradeoff

See this I could enjoy - a designed, visually appealing stage rather than just a blank white screen with a flat image on it. Even if they tied the music selection into this, the current background images which show up in Practice could be shown on a tapestry or something in the background.

In this instance, I would fully support this as a stage outside of just Practice and Dojo modes.

I’ve been trying to get clarification on that for a while as well. Say hypothetically, that Mira exists as a Shadow version of Maya and that her stage is a shadow version of Maya’s stage. Does that count as a “new stage” or not?

Or let’s say hypothetically that Gargos is in the game as a playable boss. If his stage were a version of Kan Ra’s, where the portal is open, stuff is being sucked in to the portal, maybe the stage has a different coloring to it etc… Is that considered a new stage?

Perhaps hypothetically, there’s a new “sage” type of character and they use a peaceful, beautiful, day-lit version of Hisako’s stage with flowers growing and cherry blossom trees and polished paneling on the buildings in the background so they look less dilapidated. Is that a new stage?

@rukizzel, I totally understand that we’re getting three new stages this season. I’m just curious if a shadow version of a stage or a day/night version or a destroyed version or an alternate version or a seasonal version or anything along those lines, where it pertains to the alteration of an existing stage, would be considered “new” or not.

Is that something you can talk about yet? Perhaps more to the point… Will characters introduced in season 3 have their own homes, even if they’re alternate version of existing character’s homes?

LOL, I just reread this. If you can answer any of this right now, I’d be shocked. :slightly_smiling: If you can, it’d be awesome. But I don’t fault you if you can’t.[quote=“IrritatedPage18, post:281, topic:5040”]
i actually think they should take the dojo from K.I 2 and revamp it into a true K.I dojo training stage. with moving non static background, nice mellow music, the sensei from the old stage could return with more hd quality doing various qata in the background…maybe with various weapons that change each time you chooses the stage. ’
[/quote]

I’ve been saying for a while that I’d love that sensei to be a playable character; like a guide for some of the good guys or something along those lines.

As for the stage, I completely agree. I think it’d be awesome to have a beautiful, tranquil dojo background to fight with peaceful music and what not. It’d be a cool departure from what we have so far. Don’t get me wrong, I love what we have so far thematically, musically, etc. But just as a sort of “something different.”

Love this idea! Good call, man!

Essentially my point. We’re potentially two days away from the big reveal, so we might not be able to get this clarification until then. Completely understandable, but I’m hoping that there’s a bread crumb or two left in his napkin.

Otherwise Ruk is just going to look at us like Ryan Reynolds in his Ted cameo.