RASH is gone so what do we think? REVIEW

I had a serious problem with him being in this game when I first saw the season 3 confirmation, i thought he was a bad choice but he’s grown on me.

The finished version is going to be so much more fun than he already is, judging from the trailer.

6.5/10

1 Like

Since he isn’t finished I’m judging him mostly on his design, personality, and uniqueness.

I absolutely love him design wise, some think he’s too cartoony, but I don’t have much of problem with him in that respect. KI sort of goes for a cell shaded semi-cartoony look so I don’t really think he looks that out of place when standing next to most of the cast and KI has always had a goofy side to it. I also like his crazy transformations. So design wise I give him a 10/10, call him a bit goofy, but I don’t mind.

Gameplay wise again judging him mainly on how unique and fun he is to play and that said despite his unfinished moveset it was fun playing him. Being able to zip to the otherside of the screen was pretty cool and is his ability to eat projectiles is nice. And mashing X into a combo is a nice call back to the Battletoads games. His instinct is absolutely useless and something really needs to be done about it. I give him a 7/10 here.

So overall my final rating is an 8/10.

1 Like

I like his animations a lot. He’s up there for best animated character in the game.

His moveset isn’t finished so it’s hard to judge. First impressions: light Boot does incredibly poor damage for a DP (it’s like 3% or something), which seems like an oversight they will likely fix. Zipline/tongue worries me a bit because however they tune it for the final release, it’s really hard to make it “just good enough”… it’ll either be really really good, or not very good at all, I fear. In general I don’t like characters that are sorta all over the place in the air, so we’ll see how they tune it. Wrecking ball was fine… a full screen armor move that’s air punishable (not ground punishable) on block.

Dunno what to make of his instinct. Didn’t play around with it enough to really understand it, except I know you can do unsafe moves and make them safe (but you can do that with Orchid firecat as well).

Not gonna give a grade, but the character looks and sounds fun in action, which is most important.

1 Like

He was decent! I can’t wait to see what his modern costume looks like and what he turns out like in his finished version.

2 Likes

His look might change, but his moveset will still look like they’re straight from a wacky cartoon.

The cartoon reference will stick.

1 Like

I love Rash!Always wanted him to be a KI character in a possible KI 3 when i was a kid.I give him a 7/10 because he is a BETA character.If somehow in Season 3 we have Ultimates,please give him a finish move from the Battletoads arcade!That will be awesome!

As an old ■■■■ that used to play Battletoads on NES, I’m digging the animations and attitude. Not going to judge the looks, as they stated they weren’t final. Fun moveset; zipping about with the tongue is big fun, and the boot DP is hilarious (if a little underpowered). Instinct could be tweaked, right now it’s a steered firecat. Good footsies. Fireball eating/meter mechanic is quite powerful. Overall I’m stoked to see the final version and non-retro skin.

Although obviously people are free to rate the character any way they see fit, it’s worth pointing out that you don’t necessarily have to like something to recognize that it is well done. I don’t like Van Halen, but I’m not going to sit here and claim that Eddie is a 2/10 as a guitar player. So if you are going to look at some objective criteria, to my mind Rash nails a lot of them as a guest character.

1. His move set and his personality are clearly related to the original source material. All his moves are variations on things he does in Battletoads.
  2. His moves and play style are unique in KI. He isn’t just a generic addition to the cast - they have put the same kind of attention into his mechanics as they have into the rest of the cast. That doesn’t mean everything work or you have to enjoy the way he plays, but he is unique.
2 Likes

To people here saying his instinct is worthless, you’re wrong. I already found a few great things about it.

1. Riding the bike will cancel any move Rash is currently in, so in a way you can do multiple instinct cancels. I found a 40% with two meters off a shadow dp.

2. That bike has an INSANE amount of hitstun, enough that even if Rash jumps out of the combo because of the bike, he can quickly use his tongue to get back and continue the combo.

3. The bike can be used for Orchid style mixups like summoning it while jumping over someone.

1 Like

Rash is well animated, is fun to play, has the Rareware style amount of acceptable goofiness and is one of the few guests I’m willing to tolerate.

Would I have added him to the cast, or any guest for that matter? Not a chance. But now that he is in, I have to embrace him. It could have been worse I guess.
I give Rash a 7.5 / 10

2 Likes

I actually only used him about 5 times since he didn’t have all his moves and there was no XP awarded for using him.

On the other hand, I fought against his CPU on Hard and Very Hard at least 400 times during Double XP weekend.

He’s an amazing animated character and lots of fun to battle. I like cocky characters and I like over the top moves, so to me he’s a welcomed addition. I give him a 10/10.

I hope the Dark Queen makes it into S3 too! :slight_smile:

Honestly, he didn’t really grab me the way the rest of IG’s character designs did in season 2. I think part of that is how incomplete he feels, which I can mainly chalk up to him being in BETA.

Pros: His classic look is PERFECT for his retro. From the smile and sunglasses to the texture of his skin. Very well done in this regard. The attitude, voice work and some of the special moves are great. Specifically, the use of the tongue to get around was awesome, and the ram horns and wrecking ball are spot on for him. On the whole, I think the character’s essence was very well captured from an appearance standpoint.

Cons: It still feels like he could use more in his arsenal. The Battletoads had so many goofy things that they could do and outside of the ram horns and wrecking ball, there didn’t seem to be a whole lot more. The giant boot seemed more suited to an auto, as it felt kinda plain as a DP. His instinct seemed like a variation on Orchid’s fire cat, and I feel like it could use more to differentiate itself. Maybe the ability to shoot light damaging projectiles out of it? More auto double animations would be nice, though I’m sure that stuff would be added in alter. It’s also VERY easy to see and break the light six hit combos. Not sure what can be done about those.

Overall: 6/10. I honestly got kinda bored with him rather quickly, which has never happened with a new KI character. He looks like a GREAT start to a character, but it still feels like a good deal more could be done to make him feel more complete and fun to use. I love his potential though, so that 6 out of 10 is definitely a place holder in lieu of what he’ll become. I see a good deal of room to make him even better, but if he remains as is, I have to admit that I probably wouldn’t use him much.

I’m really hoping that his non-retro look is darker, more realistic looking, and fits more in with KI’s aesthetic. I’d like to see it as more or less “the interpretation of that character as it would actually exist within the KI universe.” The retro looks great, and should fit what they actually looked like. But his original needs to be more in line with KI’s general aesthetic IMO.

I think he has the potential to fit in well under the right circumstances. Same goes for Joanna Dark, Kaim from Lost Odyssey (LOVE this idea!) and Kameo as well as a few others that have been floated around. I’m not overly averse to guests so long as they fit well, are fun to play, and don’t prevent IG from giving us any of their own awesome KI character designs. :grin:

1 Like

Overall 6 out of 10 for me.

I like:

• everything about his design. As it’s retro I think it’s fine.
  • his jokes, his attitude, really well done.
  • his moves are smooth and cool.
    Looking at it standalone, his design gets: 9 out of 10

I dislike:

• Him being a guest character in KI universe.
  • It seems most moves on screen do not fit the artistic design of the stage backgrounds, other characters’ moves. The way his proportions, moves look on the screen and loud voice do not fit KI imo. This counts the most for me.
    Design within KI world: 3 out of 10
1 Like

0 out of 10 for me. He doesn’t belong. People want Battletoads back and MS is teasing those people with the Shovel Knight cameo and now this cameo. I don’t think it is really what those Battletoad fans want, my guess would be for a new Battletoads game.

This is purely a marketing scheme to get people talking, why didn’t they show Kim Wu, Tusk or Gargos? because people were expecting it, show a Battletoad and then you get click bait and word on KI because Rash is in it. I think it was tasteless and I saw what it was from the announcement. Don’t cheapen KI

1 Like

Your rating is your rating - no argent there. But I’m having trouble understanding the complaint that his moves don’t fit the artistic design of the stage backgrounds…

There’s also one thing that excites me about Rash: That he may set the bar animation and detail wise for S3 characters, due to having 5 more months to polish them.

If every S3 character has the attention to detail Rash has, the S3 characters will be the best in the game. No more TJ’s blandness/Maya animations/Omen looks fiascos.

Rash has the personality of a Hollywood CGI character, and if Tusk and Kim do get the same treatment, they are in good hands. That’s why he hypes me: because he’s the first glimpse of S3 and we are off a start already better than S2.

1 Like

Wait…you don’t like Van Halen??? WTH Andy!!! NOT COOL MAN!!! lol

I personally don’t love Rash, but my kids did…and I used him for a little while. Learned his moves and tech best i could.

Id give him a 7/10

1 Like

What I mean is maybe better explained by using Aria as an example. Lately I have starting to main her and she is one of my favorite characters.

What I don’t like about Aria is the Crescendo move and instinct animation and the way these moves plus their effects look. Obviously, this all fits within the gundam theme and it’s a nod to these gundam character style. But when I see super detailed stage backgrounds and characters then I cannot escape the feeling that a move like Crescendo contrasts too much with those. I understand the reason but I feel that the aesthetics of the game is ruined a bit. For example when she switches body there are some small, almost unnoticeable cool special effects. Something similar for Crescendo would fit better imo. This is how I feel about Rash.

When I first saw a big green blob (the wrecking ball) going all the way across the screen and even slowing down on hit/block, I felt sad. All these things, including cartoon-like hit effects, are of course nods to the original game and character design. But for me the contrast of different art styles is too large and ruins it a bit for me. The same with attitude and tone, but there is already a thread on that topic.

2 Likes

He was meh to me. Didn’t really enjoy him. There just wasn’t an attack that he had that made me say “wow”. Besides his charge and tongue there really is hardly anything there to make him stand out. His instinct kind of sucks and overall I just don’t find him very appealing. This is coming from someone who wanted to main him before I played him. I sort of wish he was a set up character. Like he would spit slime and then slow you or something. I don’t mean set up like Kan Ra because that’s just plain lazy game design.

I give him a 5/10 Uninspired. Could have been more unique.

1 Like