Ranked Leagues Scoring Update

My connections so far today have been under 10 sec. I assume being by a large city helps. They could always put in the choice. Best match up vs. First available match up.

The elitism mindset in this thread makes me queasy. I’m serious. Stop ruining the funfactor of the game by acting like certain people are allowed to arrogant cast a shadow upon lesser skilled players.

Lemme guess
 " Git gud? "

I’m glad someone brought up the idea of having it be top 100 rather than top 32. It’s something that I’ve suggeseted and wanted since the game’s inception. For me, it simply makes sense. It makes getting there just a bit more accessible for everyone, is a nice rounded number, and is still likely hard to do for most. I never fully understood why it was limited to top 32 anyways
 @developers, why was it limited to top 32 and not 100, or some other amount?

Different mindsets I guess. Why does the idea of a skill based player card symbol bother some people?

I only ever made Ultra under the old system, and the seemingly unatainable Killer status never ruined my fun. It simply motivated me to try harder; I looked up to the Killers at the time. It’s sad to me that this no longer exists.

1 Like

Unless the amount of points is the same up or down, everyone will eventually make
Killer tier. Just takes longer but once again, its just time to killer. Skill will make it sooner, but time for everyone else.

All the ranked system needs is to demote people for losing too much. A system where you can only move up but never down is never going to be any good at representing people’s skill levels.

I don’t look up to anyone. Never.

Not even DDP?

Wellll maybe him ( and Somoa Joe ) in that regard. But when it comes to Competitive gaming, I don’t look up to ‘professional’ gamers. That’s just ■■■■■■■ degrading imo.

I see you. However that logic can be applied to anything, not just professional gaming. In a certain regard I agree with you.

Wow. You people complain a lot :neutral_face:

Good job on retooling ranked @TotalJimkata. Expanded point differentials will make climbing marginally easier for better players, and losing will get punished effectively as well (including across ranks, which is important I think). I also still love that I get to try out my other characters in Killer tier (leveling them up in the best possible environment IMO, against a diverse array of skilled opponents), without worrying that I’m going to drop a billion points. :slight_smile:

And lest anyone accuse me of being some baby who just wants his participation trophy, I made Killer last Tuesday with a 42-7 record, 3 losses of which were against meaty shatter-abusing Glaciuses.

3 Likes

@SadisticRage76 No reason to bash you over what is, rightfully, your opinion on the matter. I will say though that your Top 32 is weirdly punitive in that it still mandates “x number of matches”, and adds a nonsense wrinkle that for some reason I must now be able to play all characters at a seriously competitive level. Which unless I’m Rico Sauve or Floe and just have a knack for picking up new characters, now means I have to devote even more time to leveling up my play for a bunch of characters that I probably don’t even like. I can’t see what possible purpose this would serve, and it seems to me it would make Top 32 even less meaningful than it is now.

And not gaining any points unless fighting another Top 32 is basically making any fight not against a Top 32 less than pointless, since the only possible net outcome is negative. You’d introduce silly matchmaking time issues (having to look for one of the other 31 Tops out there), and because of Top 32’s not gaining points unless against other Top 32’s, you’d wind up with a weird system in which the rest of Killer tier would be able to easily gain enough points to “catch up”, and you’d wind up with a weirdly fluid Top 32 at any given moment in time. The current system might not be perfect, but this certainly isn’t the solution.

1 Like

I just feel that if they are truly skilled then random would not be that hard.

Two thoughts:

(1) Why would you want to enforce a random character element into what is supposed to be the pinnacle of your competitive mode? If the purpose of Ranked is to truly find out who is the best, in what world does forcing someone to pick a random character for their next fight aid that goal? I suppose you could argue it would test who has the most character familiarity or adaptability, but even in that I feel like a match between two top players tests this more fully. You don’t get to grand finals at EVO and then go to random select - you pick your best character(s) and use every trick you can think of to get the win.

(2) At a certain level, Ranked needs to be fun. Random select fights for points, much less for the top slots of online KI competition, is simply not fun. I don’t play the whole cast and have no desire to play the whole cast - I don’t have enough time to learn them, and many of their play styles don’t speak to me in any case. I wouldn’t want to spend all this time learning characters that I actually do enjoy playing, and then get stuck fighting with a bunch of randoms once I make it to the top of the Ranked system.

1 Like

It sounds like you want to punish the really good ppl for being really good

I know it is about fun, but where is the fun for the casual player when they get out ranked, and instead of the person trying to make it fun they use their main and destroy the casual player. I know not everyone does this. I have had a few people change when they seen I was using a new character. I sent messages to every one of them thanking them for doing that. I don’t like when I hear I am playing someone wrong by a user who does not play them.

I have no problem with the really good players. My issues vary from person to person. There are some players that I really like, and some that I am really starting to dislike. I don’t like how the not so good people are ragged on instead of offering to help them. Being rude when you tell someone to go to training mode is not helping. I am was in the killer tier before the reset. I will never be in the 32, but I always answer and help others when ever I can.

The thing I would love to see is a way to put people at the top by skill alone, not mass grinding.

How do you propose that skill should be measured aside from number of ranked wins?

Similar to how it figures out your XP for the match.

Eh - not too sure about that. The ideal play for the MU isn’t necessarily always the top-scoring method. This might punish people for playing smart.

1 Like

Help is one thing, however most people want good setups and that info from us mains who work and lab to discover it without the effort we put in. People help those who put in effort to help themselves. Im a 1 character player. I leveled almost everyone to 50, but that is in exhib or lobby. In ranked I use my main and my main only. Ranked should be me with my best character. Ranked isnt about helping your opponent get better, its about proving who is better. Playing to win. Want help and random characters? Dont play ranked.