Purpose of taunts

This. Guys it’s time to let this stuff go. Remember it’s a game for fun. We don’t need another thread about this. In the absence of taunts people make up their own. Spinal’s laugh and Wulf’s howl are important bits of personality. Taunts were first introduced in what, SF Alpha? SF3 has them for sure. It was just something to do with the start button.

7 Likes

If the KIWC cup ban was kept in place for taunts, I was going to find an ambiguous crossup setup after throw that used taunts and/or teabags for timing purposes, and then ask them if this setup was banned.

In SF3 (at least in 3rd strike, which is the only SF3 game worth discussing), you taunt by pressing HP+HK. Each character’s taunt had some gameplay effect, many of them important for playing the character. As such, you saw taunts in almost every tournament match for these characters.

For someone that has goaded users into arguments and sent personal messages with derogative memes, you’re the last person I felt would be upset over bullying.

I may be wrong but didn’t Dudley have a taunt where he threw his rose at you and this could open up the opponent for combos?

In regards to my personal feelings on the subject no I don’t see taunting as bullying. I suffered bullies for over a decade at school and more recently online. It was everything from name calling to approaching me in the street wanting to fight (that incident was in regards to my YT and the guy backed down when I let him know I wasn’t scared)

A character in a fighting game doing some movement is nothing compared to daily mental and physical abuse

6 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

I think we need to be REALLY careful about just throwing around the term “bullying.” My wife is a teacher and any time a kid bumps into another kid some parent is running up to talk about how they are being bullied. “Bullying” involves more than just someone being a ■■■■ to you. It’s incessant harassment over a long period of time that the victim can’t just avoid. Hitting the taunt button at KI isn’t bullying.

I’m firmly in the camp that thinks taunting/teabagging is something jerks do to be jerks. I don’t think it makes the world a better place. But it isn’t bullying.

8 Likes

Yeah While I’m not denying cyber bulling is indeed a thing… Taunting on KI Is not on that level IMO.

4 Likes

I can agree with this. That said, there are varying levels, or degrees, of bullying. For example, for me as a teacher, a long period of time would be more than a few days or a week and on and include persistent verbal or physical abuse. Basically, is it an isolated incident or is it happening frequently? This is why every school I have been employed at uses incident reports - to document and record the frequency and details of when and what occurs. This way, we can start to see patterns and address them appropriately as an administration.

2 Likes

I don’t mind taunts but I’ll use them differently depending on the character. Kilgore for example, he’s just giving a lil salute. Not like that jerkass Fulgore.

And Spinal just likes having a giggle m8.

1 Like

Some taunts are sooo good though!
Cinders taunt brings a dang tear to my eye. Cant help but use it when I know it’s safe. I have a setup in the corner where its safe to use the taunt and I use it every. Single. Time.

Also gotta use that taunt when you beat one of those lag-switching scumbags. :triumph:

Yeah, thats true. Honestly, 3rd Strike had a ton of taunts that had real effects on gameplay. Dudley and Sean had projectile moves to their taunts, Q’s increased his defense, etc.

Just for clarity, looks like the first taunts appeared in Art of Fighting (SNK) in 1992. They were functional in that they would lower your opponents meter. Maybe KI should add some sort of minor function to taunts…

Maybe if taunts had some kind of purpose in the game similar to 3rd Strike people wouldn’t be so adverse to them?

Taunts rub me the wrong way (moreso admitting that it’s a problem on my end) but if I saw taunting in every match several times a match I would probably just grow more immune and accepting to it. Probably because if it gave your character some kind of stat boost then I would be taunting as well.

The purpose of taunts… is to create a universal mechanic that allows for reason and justification for Arbiter to roar on command.

That’s all. Arbiter was planned from season 1 and they implemented a seemingly random and useless mechanic so that at the beginning of the third season, the dream could be realized.

#RoarForDays #ArbiterTopTierTaunt #Black CanaryArbiterScreamLife

6 Likes

False[quote=“Somea2V, post:53, topic:18403”]
The purpose of taunts… is to create a universal mechanic that allows for reason and justification for Rash to thrust on command.
[/quote]

6 Likes

KI is built on styling, humiliating and disrespecting your opponent. Look at the mechanics.

Also it would be a shame to not use Rash’s beautiful taunt for the whole world to see

1 Like

Play Rash and try to fight the urge to taunt and tbag. I dare you

2 Likes

I can last approx. 3 matches before I cave.

His crouch with his ungainly frog legs make him perfect for teabagging. Imagine if, when he crouched, he would hold a literal teabag in one hand across 1 of his legs and just let it droop in front of him and between his legs… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I do it daily. I am not some weak-willed froglet, like you.

I…
am…
a Battletoad. :sunglasses:

Hmmm…

Hmmm…

Hmmm…

You know, I’m not even mad. Either scenario is true.

But you forgot #ThrustingInMySpee-toad

3 Likes

Yeah, Dudley uses his taunt as a mixup tool. Q uses his taunt to increase his defense. Ken uses his taunt to make his next hit/combo do more damage. Ryu uses his taunt to improve his stun recovery (useful in matches against stun monsters). Every character has something, although some of them aren’t that useful.

1 Like