Primal Rage

Positive. When Atari was facing bankruptcy the companies assets were decided in two. One half (the home console devision and it’s IPs) is what we know as Atari today. The other half (the coin-op arcade division and it’s IPs, where Primal Rage fell) was bought and sold until ending up in WB’s hands. You see this in effect with how many classic Atari made arcade games are on Midway Collections now, including Primal Rage on Midway Arcade Treasures 2.

I study IP ownership the way others study genealogy. Trust me. I know my stuff.

3 Likes

Here is a much closer look at the color sets.

5 Likes

Sauron Concept and color set

All the Sauron colors have their nick names as well. From left to right, top to bottom.

Sauron, Carnivours King, Bloody Tyrant.
Royal Glutton, Tsunammi, Black Cove,
Strong Leader, Righteous Ruler, Unstoppable Force

Thoughts? Opinions?

7 Likes

A little to long of a design for a fighting game. But otherwise pretty cool.

I really like the design, but I do think that it is way too similar to the original one.
Sauron is supposed to be a gluttonous god, so I think that more detail should be added to the jaws (maybe make them bigger? add tusks? second row of teeth?) or maybe give him more jaws or mouths(or just markings that look like that).
Now that said, I never played PR, and I wish that I did since it is everything that I ever wished for in a game, so maybe exaggerating the designs wouldn’t work with the feel of the characters or their consistency with the series, but then again, look what KI did with all the characters in the game, who are all very different looking but still feel familiar enough.

Well we wanted to give him a design that was somewhat different without making him unrecognizable. My brother and I wanted to give him a design that also made him different from the typical tyrannosaurs both in fiction and what is considered accurate at that time. So we gave Sauron Crocodile traits.

I don’t think the extra mouths works, that might make him look too alien.

You can at least tell that Fulgore in the recent was indeed fulgore, they kept parts of te character that gave him his identity. His face, ponytail, plasma blades. The design is new but doesn’t make them unrecognizable.

Riptor’s change was made to throw in some science involved. for example, a snake/raptor hybrid didn’t work for the new KI because those genes are not compatible. Raptors also never used their tails in combat. So this is where the cybernetic augmentation came. The only exception is the human genes added to her which explained her human like hands.

But these characters are gods so they are not bound by science. Which means we could have sauron jump if we wanted. But even the ideas making bigger jaws does seem abit vague. even Scorpion is still recognizable despite coming a long way from being a color swap.

1 Like

Something like this? granted when we were thinking about Sauron’s design one thing I’d also like to do is imagine a t-rex literally on steroids. One of the ways we could do that was bulking up his body increase the musculature in his jaws, and one other detail would be to add scars around his mouth. This would in my opinion indicate that he tends to use his jaws a lot and has had some cases where those caught in his jaws would struggle even if it is a short and inevitable one.

Could probably go back and make some small revisions I kinda like your idea maybe having some teeth kinda growing out his mouth a bit, and maybe make them a bit more mangled?

1 Like

I see. I mean, the design itself is very different compared to the original, don’t get me wrong, but much like how Fulgore was slimmed down, Riptor got all the cybernetic enhancements, Eyedol got his head split and so on and so forth, I believe that when imagining a character you should always recognize not only the visual aspect (like Saurons colors and the fact that he is still a T Rex) but also what said character represents.

One of the ways we could do that was bulking up his body increase the musculature in his jaws, and one other detail would be to add scars around his mouth. This would in my opinion indicate that he tends to use his jaws a lot and has had some cases where those caught in his jaws would struggle even if it is a short and inevitable one.

Much like how @JEFFRON27 described, telling a story through visuals (Awsome artwork btw :+1: )

I don’t think the extra mouths works, that might make him look too alien.

Yeah, thats probably too much, but it is a god of hunger after all, and I was mainly thinking of the aztec monster Cipactli when writing that.

Exactly what I was thinking :+1:

That’s why we also added another powerful animal to his t-rex traits. Like a Crocodile tail and scales. This also helps explain why he could use his tail as a weapon

1 Like

I just realized something… if this game got a reboot it would probably be an NRS game since it’s a WB IP now… that means GUEST CHARACTERS. This could be HUGE! Rampage, Godzilla, all his friends, King Kong, Gamera! All of them could be in Primal Rage!

I think Primal Rage wouldn’t throw in just any character, keep in mind that while these gods are indeed giants, Godzilla probably wouldn’t work due to his large size. though if I remade Primal Rage I’d be more concerned with trying to establish and make the game get recognized first before I add guests.

Except guest characters are PERFECT for exposing the game to a larger audience.

The unintended consequences is that it creats a stigma that a game can’t stand on it’s own without guest characters, people will say things like “That x game with Guest character in it” sort of thing. Especially if it’s a game series that hadn’t seen a revival in 27 years or so.

Has anyone ever actually said that? I’ve only ever seen people freaking out, worried that that will happen. I’ve never seen it happen.

There is an example of this.

Soul Calibur II was put on the map because of link as a guest character. SC-III was mostly overlooked due to the lack of guest characters, Which is a thing Soul Calibur now has to do for every franchise. Because of this SC depends on guests to help their game sell. Thankfully, the game was able to get big enough to have a fan base that would still buy the games even if it didn’t have a guest, and Bamco pretty much limits to at least 1 or 2 and never went beyond 3.

Plus there’s no way of knowing if they will even stick around if a sequel gets made. But that doesn’t mean other games would be lucky enough.

Though if I did add guests in a Primal Rage Reboot it would need to do the following.
1: be from a video game.
2: The creators must be aware that their character could get eaten in if they lose to someone like Sauron in a match.

The only characters I could see working is some of the beasts from monster hunter, sense their guest appearance wouldn’t be canon to the story. that way you won’t explain how a beats form monster hunter was able to face one of the god beasts in combat.

1 Like

Ummm… why would they have to be from a video game? You just kind of made that up. I mean, just look at MK.

Does Primal Rage need to do everything MK does? Sure I’d keep the blood and gore, and the fatalities (Called Extinctions in Primal Rage II) But I’d still do a lot more for it.

Don’t get me wrong Mortal Kombat is Awesome! but some guest characters like Godzilla wouldn’t work due to his size, even though Godzilla is the best movie monster in existence.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong. But the humans in the original were itty bitty. I’m sure Zilla could work.

Also, my drunk mother agrees with me. She wanted me to tell you that.

The humans were tiny, but Godzilla was still much larger even in the original movies. non of the gods we’re 50 meters tall. You’ll find the human next to Zilla’s foot.

1 Like