OFFICIAL Combat Survey Discussion Thread

at least you were honest mate

This does seem to be the ideal scenario. So Iā€™m assuming that training people through playing to mix it up is a solution, but it seems like a lot of the people with this issue are higher level players. Shouldnā€™t they know to do this?

If people know this, yet still choose not to do it, Iā€™d be curious to know the logic. Is it simply being unable to adapt from other games stylevof play where the less risky option tends to be the best?

If people continually refuse to play the game with ideal strategy in mind, at what point do you stop saying ā€œthatā€™s on themā€ and say ā€œwell, some might not be enjoying their experience. Weā€™re obviously not scrapping the two way system, as itā€™s the core of this game, but should we look in to finding a way to make more people happy, or not?ā€

I like poetry too! Also like the kind that youā€™re talking about as well. :slight_smile: I think itā€™s cool to be able to read a person and figure out how theyā€™ll react and strategize based on that; the mind games of train, bait and conquer.

Iā€™d be curious to though if higher level players find a certain poetry in what you refer to as rote. They idea of recalling your knowledge and quickly applying it in a better and/or more useful way than your opponent. The poetry of maximizing your own skill regardless of your opponent.

Eh, just a theory. Probably shouldnā€™t speak in questions and theories when devs are looking for opinions. I just want to make everyone as happy as possible and if that can be accomplished to any greater extent without hurting anyone elseā€™s enjoyment or the core ideas behind the game, I think it at least bares exploring (as Iā€™m guessing the survey is for, though perhaps not for this exact topic?)

Agree 100%. Iā€™d be curious how this would affect match flow.

Sorry. I know thatā€™s not part of the questions theyā€™re asking about. I said Iā€™d stop before, but Iā€™ve enjoyed the conversation. :slight_smile:

As for the questions of white damage and breaker ease, as I said, I think these are all in a great place. I wouldnā€™t mind them experimenting, but Iā€™m happy with the way both are handled at the moment.

Personally, I have no issues with the game mechanically. I think itā€™s probably in the best spot itā€™s been in a long time gameplay wise.

Combos are usually easy to break if youā€™ve put the time in, but itā€™s out of necessity. And Iā€™ve landed/been hit by enough counter breakers to know they exquisitely well.
Itā€™s a really high damage game with a relatively aggressive neutral, but the combo breakers balance it out.
You can guess your way out with a little luck, but taking a 33% gamble is a pretty big risk.

I have a few bugbears with some characters not being as fun to play or play against, but everyone has those. Iā€™m just kinda worried that the parts of the game that already work well are being looked at.

And I find it odd that you took my post out of context to prove nothing, since all you have are opinions. I was talking about a MU specific issue with Gargos, not RAAM as a character in general.

Who says itā€™s the best strategy in other games? The best option is the one that works. A huge part of SFV (a game with massive guaranteed-damage punishes on blocked reversals) is knowing exactly when to play that riskiest card. Thereā€™s something to be said about having conservatism in your play, as it can be very stable long term. Again, risky does not necessarily mean bad - it means risky. Too much risk is almost certainly bad, but a nice dollop of properly calculated risk can be very, very strong.

If absolutely no one ever maximized damage, sure, maybe the system would need rethinking. But some high level players do tend to get good damage per opening, and not coincidentally I think, they tend to do well. The system has ample demonstration that mixing and matching and maximizing damage does well.

That some people continually refuse to play optimally doesnā€™t make the system bad or mean it should be changed. Last Breath is still nearly always a bad idea, but ā– ā– ā– ā–  if 80+% of TJā€™s donā€™t hold on to instinct. That doesnā€™t mean they should buff Last Breath - it means people need to figure out that itā€™s just not that great, and that TJā€™s instinct is really, really good.

Doubtless. Different aspects of different games appeal to different people. If you want your godlike hit confirms, SFV has some pretty good ones these days. If you like technical execution, then people are still playing Marvel. I think KIā€™s unique take on a constant two-way interaction is the magic, and Iā€™d be a little upset if they downplayed that to try and shift it towards some of those other aspects of fighters. KIā€™s two way interaction is interesting and unique - it is the secret sauce of the game, and I donā€™t think that aspect of it should be downplayed at all.

2 Likes

i find it hilarious when people that dont play tj tell people that have played him for 2 years through his different iterations when to pop his instinct lol. its situational sometimes its best to pop it sometimes its best to wait for last breath, but for anyone to say its almost always a bad idea to hold on to last breath is just so so wrong!!

1 Like

So then. Explain when to use it and when not to use it. Those who have said that it is always better to pop it have valid points. Can you explain yours? Thanks.

tj offense is already very strong he doesnt struggle for offense or opportunities to open opponents up, tj struggles defensively. so in my humble opinion the only time to pop instincts on your second life bar are if you are in a vortex with around 50% of life remaining or if you do something unsafe and you want to make yourself safe with you having atleast around 50% life. it is also a good idea if you are smart abt it to pop instinct at the start of the second bar if u didnt have the opportunity to pop it in the first life bar but u have to be careful so u dont loose more than 30% of your life so you still instinct get last breath.
so except in these few scenarios its always best to plan to use the first instinct on the first life bar and save the second for last breath, the fact that can come back with 15% of life while in instinct is so so strong and i have made huge come backs in high level play , and the fact that you know you have last breath allows you to play more risky which is super strong . like going for counterbreakers for example

*shrug * Then by all means, hold on to your instinct. I like free meaties on a character whose only reversal freezes the screen :thumbsup:

2 Likes

That is the sole reason I pop it as soon as I get it, lol.

1 Like

Yes. Last breath comebacks. Letā€™s see what is better for comebacks. A full cancel/instinct freeze to make something safe/plus and the full duration for a speed buff that makes TJ nearlly unstoppable. Or you can just lose half of your instinct to get 20% health, be put in a mix up where you will lose or be zoned out and lose all your instinct for 20%. Seems that popping instinct is more reasonable than last breath.

15 something % health actually.

Ok. @llhonestyll If you want, we can continue to discuss this but not in this thread. We are going off topic.

ok

So I do think the game is balanced. And everything Iā€™ve wanted to say, other people have covered. But, the idea that stands out, is Invincible Reversal > Shadow Move to make it safe. Would that change the game a lot?

Not really. There are only a few characters who get to do it in the first place, and only one or two of them have meter enough that this is almost always available. Even if it did change the game a decent amount though, I think it would be good for the game. DP->shadow fireball->DP->shadow fireball->DP is justā€¦not a good look. :disappointed_relieved:

dp cancel shadow fireball is strong but no more strong than hisako canceling heavily negative rekka into shadow command grab. i have no problem with it. i just pressure characters with that ability after i knocked them down by staying outside pointblank range so i hit them with the tip of my normals. so what happens often is my normals wins or trades or if i do nothing and they wakeup .their dp whiffs completely then i punish. i think it should remain as it is

2 Likes

I would hardly call those two things comparable. DP > shadow fireball is completely safe against most characters, while rekka > shadow grab is completely punishable. Rekka > shadow is more like wind kick > DP.

6 Likes

What he said^^

So characters like Jago and Orchid would be examples of this right?