OFFICIAL Combat Survey Discussion Thread

its human nature to look at things from your own perspective but i think if you took a step back look at the game then you would see dp cancel shadow fireball isnt nearly as cheap as hisako being able to full combo punish shadow counter attempts with out even spending meter . characters are unique in ki, this really isnt an issue unless

1 Like

I think pd does kinda recover a bit too fast. Itā€™s really quite the feelbad moment when you throw someone(not get thrown) and all the pd is gone.

1 Like

Yeah, with Glacius also someone youā€™ll see it from on occasion. Fulgore can do it too, but it also means more from him because of how his reactor works.

@llhonestyll Maybe pick a comparison and stick with it? Hisakoā€™s strong, with strong options, and Iā€™ve never made any assertion otherwise. But let me know when she can do something completely invincible, and then cancel it into something thatā€™s also safe. Iā€™m happy to have a discussion on the relative strengths of the two characters (hint: Jago is better), but this probably isnā€™t the place to do it. Feel free to tag me in another thread and we can continue talking about this though.

Glad they asked about combo breakers in that survey.

1. I feel they should cost something. Breaking combos is not hard. You have 3 different inputs coming at you to break a combo, the sound, the kv meters fast or slow progression, and reading the animation.

2. I said, i think combo breakers should like cost maybe half a bar until you got in the red. Then in the red you can do it all you want. This way i dont have to either always cut my combos short, depend on my opponent to put too much respeck on it, and let me fly, or to have to randomly counter break often to beat someone who has hawk eyes against my character.

3. Also, do something about breaking shadow moves. Take it out, or adjust how its done. If you take out breaking shadow moves, then just reduce the damage. Its too silly going to break a shadow move that doesnt have fast consecutive hits, and you get baited into a counter breaker. Thats silly. Some you just cant even break, so hold that. lol

It really makes no sense to me personally that combo breakers cost you absolutely nothing. I bet you would get a whole new wave of players in by simply fixing this issue. If i was a new player with no history in fighting games, the combo breaking system would easily be the most dissuading reason to continue learning the game.

Combo breakers are a huge part of KIā€™s identity, but it needs to cost something. Half a bar isnt too much to ask, even if you make that combo breaker guaranteed because it cost bar, and the only way to beat it is by doing a counter breaker. You can make counter breaking cost meter too to even the playing field. Hell, make counter breakers cost a whole bar, since i get big damage, and lockout for doing it. I DONT MIND! lol. But please make these two things cost resources to do. They should not be free of charge.

I think the future of KI is really dependent on figuring out this combo breaking and counter breaking stuff. It really shouldnt just be a free for all that cost nothing, and leans more in the favor of someone who likes to counter break, because youre not locked out for doing a ā€œbadā€ counter breaker, just free opener into another possibility of me getting to break your combo early by reaction, or guess breaking it, and then my missed counter breaker doesnt seem like that bad of a risk.

My true gut feeling is that if you totally revamp the combo breaker and counter breaker stuff in KI to cost varying amounts of meter, you would get more people coming back. The game will eventually evolve into a counter breaker fest once people have truly mastered the combo breaking for all the characters in the game. It doesnt have to be that way. Lets nip this in the bud now, and move on to greener pastures.

Also, if you do adjust cbā€™s and counter breakers to cost varying amounts of meter, then characters who need meter to reversal need to obviously be given true reversals. As a combo player, ya, i dont wanna have to eat combos just because i need meter to reversal now and then. lol

Still love KI though :smiley:

Itā€™s already been extensively covered in other threads why giving a significant meter cost to counter breakers would pretty much destroy the game. You are not the first to think of this idea but it would not be a good change.

8 Likes

I understand your concerns over combo breakers but here are my two cents:

Majority of cast can do ridiculous amounts of damage with little to no issue so if youā€™re in a combo with no meter, your gonna be eating a 45-50 percent damage combo and thereā€™s nothing you can do about it. And thatā€™s not fun.

It also doesnā€™t help that not everyone gets the same amount of shadow meter whether it be on hit or on block leaving some characters more advantageous than others. Even moreso when not everyone has access to a battery ender. Characters like Fulgore already starve for meter as it is so imagine the struggle he will have to go through just to break and Omen can have more chances to break than everyone else. Not to mention it pretty much demotivates people to use Shadow moves since doing one cost one whole bar. Whatā€™s the point in doing them if I can just save the meter for breaking? Basically all this turns from ā€œfrustrationā€ due to guess breaks (or free breaks in this case) to frustration due to sheer helplessness.

In short, with basically changing breakers into making them cost something, you pretty much changed the entire base game and the characters that coincide with the current system.

Plus, whats to stop players from just spamming heavy auto-doubles -> light linker combos. If you donā€™t break, I get big damage. If you do, then cool. I can just repeat the same process again until youā€™re out of meter and still get big damage (if not bigger).

Itā€™s a good thing they nailed it already. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Word. I dont read the forums, so id have to read into that. In my opinion they should figure out how to make it cost resources somehow than, even if they have to redo some of the characters to fit into the mold, as to not get abused by this change.

I dont see how the game grows in the FG community with counter breakers and combo breakers being as they are. No amount of guest characters will fix this issue. People still wont like how that functions. Its an easy turn off for anyone, and ive been playing fgs since forever, the good the bad, the ugly, and no other series of games does this like KI. Not TvC, not Guilty Gear, not Blazblue.

I guess you could just make things overall harder to break, but i still feel like it costing resources shouldve been the idea from the start, before IG took over.

I dont mind combo interruption in games. Most people dont, but when its done how it is in KI, i can see how those outside of the hardcore, or those that just accept it as is, and enjoy it for what it is would be easily turned away.

Well, it doesnt matter really if they do a lot of damage. Then reduce it. Problem solved. As for the shadow meter issue, ya, that would have to be addressed. You just give people battery enders they didnt have before, or you adjust how they build meter, or you make something else in their arsenal better to counter balance their lack of meter building. As for using shadows moves less, word, but outside of non breakable shadow moves or getting a lockout or counter breaker, you dont use shadow moves in a combo that often. Ive never once opened someone up with TJ Combo, and thought, lemme use my meter now even though they can easily break this, and im going to have to risk counter breaking just to not get broken. You only use shadow moves to cash out, or if you get a lockout/counter breaker, when its guaranteed.

Damage means nothing. Damage is easily adjusted. The biggest concern would be for balancing characters that dont have battery enders, reversals without meter, etcā€¦ They can do this. This isnt a feat that should not be able to not be met by IG.

If the system needs a major overhaul then they should do it. Better to create a better overall game at the end of the day. I dont rage in my day to day of playing KI and getting broken, or breaking other people. Most people still cant break tj good at all, even though hes one of the easiest characters in the game to break. I still feel that even with that advantage i have for my own pleasure, its not a system i personally feel is at its best right now.

How about we donā€™t touch it and call it a day? Super simple. Seriouslyā€¦it works.

Infil already laid out every part of this crystal clear a while ago. If combo breakers cost meter variation in combos will disappear, all youā€™ll ever see is characters doing their strongest damage loops to force early breaks and strip resources from the opponent. Fulgore essentially becomes nonviable due to his meter design giving him less meter from being hit than other characters. Shago is badly nerfed due to nearly every unique tool he has requiring meter to be at its best. Every character without a meterless reversal takes a huge hit. This is a change that would add nothing positive to the game, remove most of the mindgames aside from the counter breaker game, and require most of the characters to be redesigned.

With every ounce of respect due to you as a player of fighting games, if you canā€™t enjoy KI without uprooting all of its systems in an attempt to make it play more like other fighters, you donā€™t have to play KI. There are many other fighters out there you will enjoy. Growing the community is a great goal, but doing it at the expense of the design of the game is not okay.

7 Likes

Combo variation would take a hit. Thats a good point. I dont have an answer for that right now. As far as character design and characters like shago that rely heavily on meter, then you just redo the character to fit the new mold. Its not like you would have to rip them out of the game, and they can never exist in the new environment. You just change the conditions of the characters specials. Obviously you would give characters without meterless reversals, meterless reversals. Im a TJ player. The last thing i want is to spend all my resources not dying because i need to uppercut here and there to not get pressure to death.

LOL, i dont need to find another game to play. Calm down. Sheesh. Im not here to ā– ā– ā– ā–  on KI. I play it literally almost everyday, and have had bad opinions of those that complain of the game too much, but still play it. I accept the game for what it is, as ive accepted 70 percent of all the bad games weā€™ve had to play for over 2 decades now. Not that KI is bad, but i have a pretty strong pallet for games, and KI isnt the most egregious of them with its core mechanics. I just think they should be better fit into the game, and that its a huge turn off for a lot of people.

At some point they have to consider, its not that it was once xbone exclusive, we resolved that. Its not that its on windows 10, because most sensible people have switched over. Then what is it that is keeping the majority of US high level players from continuing with KI, or picking up KI, and what is it that is making our current US top KI players rage every other month at the game on twitter. There are various answers to this, but in my circle, its the core mechanics that people just arent into. They seem to have more love for season 1 in that regard, but ive never played season 1, so i dont know.

Please dont try to kick me out of the community before i even get in. This the reason i didnt sign up for the forums in the first place until now. It seemed to vitriolic and immature.

I know people complain about individual character balance a lot, but there are some of us, many of us, who simply arent a big fan of just the core mechanics of how breaking and counter breaking functions within the game. I think the lack of any players from other communities in KI, outside of rico suave and cdjr, reflects this somewhat. Even then, cdjr quit KI, and rico is whatever about the game. I want to reinvigorate them to want to play again, and i think a pretty significant overhaul of the core mechanics is needed.

KI is one of my favorite franchises, i wont quit it. I just want to see it get its much deserved attention by adjusting some things that i think are turning off a lot of players, and its not just because they want to focus on sf5, or some other game.

Everything you say makes it sound like you donā€™t want to be playing KI. The ways youā€™re saying the game should change would make it a completely different game. Iā€™m not trying to kick you out of the community, Iā€™m telling you that your idea of good change is, to anyone that likes the current systems, killing the game they love.

This community? No! :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Because noone likes being broken. Players are too used to having their combos guaranteed all the time. Ki is the only fighter where you combo can be broken all the time at any time.

Thatā€™s Ki gameplay wise. Thatā€™s what it is.

Then you have to redo the whole engine, redo the characters, thatā€™s alot of time. THEN thereā€™s a big chance it will flop. Then what? Say ā€œohā€¦wellā€¦least you guys tried.ā€

Noā€¦this is something I donā€™t want fans intervening in. Because they just donā€™t know enough.

2 Likes

This thread is literally of what we thought of the survey, and all of the post here are about the things they responded to in the survey.

LOL, you win guy. Im done here. Iā€™ll just play, keep quiet, enjoying KI like i did before talking about how i felt about the survey in a thread about how did we feel about the survey. I figured id play my part in throwing in my two cents just on the strength of ki, and keits.

I make it sound like i dont want to play KI because of two mechanics i feel arent integrated at their best? Wow. Ive been around a while. The community would be devastated and non existent at this point if we all just quit because we complained about something we didnt like. LOL

I hate KI so much, i spent almost a thousand dollars on a new computer for it (and other things), bought it first day (complete everything edition), play it at least 3-5 times a week, have done both their surveys, joined a forum ive been avoiding, always watch the KI stream at majors, support individual streamers constantly, even if only 35 people entered a major, promote it constantly in a private chat that always clowns the game, and enter the 8bitbeatdown tournaments that happen biweekly,

Ya, i hate KI so much.

Anyways. I understand if what i suggested IG doesnt have time to do. Not that its the best, or end all be all of ways to address combo breakers and counter breakers in the game for the long run of maintaining old players, and bringing in new ones. I just figured id throw in my two cents because KI is worth it. Rather than just sit quiet and not participate in trying to make the game better.

Anyways, just happy to get my opinion out there for the devs to read and consider, even if it might be redundant. Sometimes new voices just need to bring up old points. Im done here though.

Long live KI.

You make it sound like itā€™s so easy. Spoilers: itā€™s not.

The current combo system honestly doesnā€™t allow for your idea to work. Itā€™s not like a lot of other fighting games where a general combo is hit confirm->special move (EX too) with the occasional juggle. Thereā€™s linkers, auto doubles, etc that also come into play in KI (which again can lead to situations like heavy AD->light linkers abuse with no consequence). In order for your idea to even be possible would require removing/ heavily reworking the very system that makes KI unique in the first place just because a few top players left (which I might add was for other reasons than the combo system).

KI is not for everyone that much is for certain. However that can be said for all fighting games. I mean no disrespect at all (I really donā€™t), but with such a drastic change like that can also lead to people that was already fine for what the game already is leaving as well (thus bringing us back to square one). Iā€™d say just leave the system alone and let the game grow for what it is.

@DiagonalSpy07 I understand the undertaking might be too much. Thats fine. It was an opinion. They dont have to do it, and iā€™ll still play the game. Its a game. My life wont cease to exist if they dont address my concerns. lol. I didnt spend all this time and money into the game not knowing what it already was from the start. Ive been watching it, and loving it since day 1 of season 1. I dont even know why i need to justify that. I didnt wakeup in a cave yesterday, bought KI today, and am like, wtf is this ish. lol

KI doesnt have to fit what i personally want, that would make no sense to do. Its just an idea. If they cant do it, oh well, but its not an unheard of idea, and there are those of us out here who love the game (me), and who dont like the game that much, and we would like to see that system better integrated.

Trust, while im focusing on combo breakers and counter breakers because it seemed to be the major part of that survey. When im playing the game, its (combo breakers and counter breakers) the last thing that makes me want to turn off ki, go downstairs, pour a triple shot, and relax. lol. Im never offended by both cbā€™s. I just think it could be done much better.

If the combo breaker and counter breaker system cant get but so much better. Oh well. KI dont pay my bills. Its just a game i love playing regardless of its flaws. Ive played countless worse flawed games. Plenty of way more flawed games, and i love them too.

Whatā€™s flawed about it? unlimited breakers, break at any time, catch is you need to guess/react/predict. Seems fair. Whatā€™s the problem?