Nioh (PS4)

Man at this point you are just trying to be a troll and instigate more responses. Its time for this thread to move forward without all this BS please.

@STORM179 lol thanks for the gameplay advice. I learned a lot from the last 15 posts hehe. Your patience has paid off :wink: could use the tips once I decide to start playing Nioh again.

2 Likes

Haha. Glad I could be helpful to someone :joy:

Either that or I would have to kindly ask a mod to remove these walls of text lol so I chose the strategic option :wink:

@STORM179 @FallofSeraphs76
I think you need some insight on the thought process of a different type of gamer. Maximizing Gameplay by Satisficing

Noā€¦ youā€™re just tired of Arguingā€¦ and thats fineā€¦ calling someone a troll just because you canā€™t agree with them is Internet Etiquette 101ā€¦ believe meā€¦ you havenā€™t seen actual trolling.

And if that were the case then why do you keep responding ? Since neither you or Storm are both to ā€œHardcoreā€ to know what fairness is Iā€™d actual prefer you not respond to anything I sayā€¦ your lack of multiple perspectives is not going to lead to any insight for either of usā€¦

Waitā€¦ who ? Iā€™ve encountered no such character in this gameā€¦

On the subject of charactersā€¦

You must mean Giant Toadā€¦ you must mean the 2nd or 3rd encounter with him because Tough or Enjoyable isnā€™t I would use to describe that fight (the latter is purely just my oppinion)ā€¦ beat him in 3 Attemptsā€¦ first I actually got him down to 1/4ā€¦

Excuse me while I complain about BAD DESIGN for a moment.

So heā€™s basically like white tigerā€¦ Bum Rush him Low Stanceā€¦ spam attack and then Spam Dodgeā€¦ it was boringā€¦ the bad design is the lobsided values of his various attacks and combos in shortā€¦ his slowest attack do less damage while his fast attacks and combo chains kill in a single hit (Iā€™ve been one shotted so many times I barely even react it any more) it feels like they were assigned at random. Another issues is the his sizeā€¦ so far Iā€™ve yet to encounter any enemies like the ones in Dark Souls were they were so Huge that they couldnā€™t fit in the Cameraā€¦ well the Giant Centipede sort of Falls into this category but the most important part (The Head) did fit so it was sort of fineā€¦ but back to the Giant Toadā€¦ because Toad is so huge his Lock on Point is significantly higher up and the camera tilts upward as I get closerā€¦ at point blank range I canā€™t make out any of my sorroundings and I easily fall onto one his Bomb Trapsā€¦ there other small things like the size of his hitboxes and being teleported in a grab that I wasnā€™t close to but thats.

Okay Rant Overā€¦

Now hereā€™s something I know is going to knock your Socks offā€¦ the Giant Toadā€™s Boss Room is ENOURMOUS !!! Not only that, its shape was an octagone I thinkā€¦ I canā€™t really tell because it was so hugeā€¦

Either Wayā€¦ GREAT LEVEL DESIGN !!!

HAā€¦ Bet you never saw that one comingā€¦

I think I already explained why Tiny Levels are ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in this game but let me explain why the shape is just importantā€¦

In the event that I do dodge so often that I found myself near the edge of the Arena its critical that I still be able to move out of the way when the boss decides to attack againā€¦ Whit Tigerā€™s Arena was also huge but it was Squareā€¦ so whenever he darted around the space I frequently found myself in a cornerā€¦ where I even though I dodge out of the wayā€¦ the corner keeps Angie in placeā€¦ and then its good old fasioned One Hit Kill City !!! Donā€™t even get me started on Nueā€™s Stageā€¦ its literally got Junk scattered EVERYWHERE !!!

So yeahā€¦ as far as level design goes Giant Toadā€™s is the best the so far (in Nioh specificall)ā€¦ although

I donā€™t think Team Ninja did this purposeā€¦ the size was probably meanā€™t for The Giant Toads benefit rather than yours because it is entirely way to easy to dominate his ā– ā– ā–  Up Close. Like White Tiger he needs space to get his shenanigans going but heā€™s got neither Nueā€™s Space Control or White Tigerā€™s Evasiveness To get his long range bull ā– ā– ā– ā–  startedā€¦ I almost feel bad for him. Iā€™m sure The developers will correct that when I have to fight him again like they did with Onryokiā€™s 2nd Encounter where they gave him back upā€¦ TWICEā€¦

So whats it gonna be ? Giant Toad plus those demon heads ? Him plus Ninjas for Back Up ? Oh joy Iā€™m getting a migraine just trying to imagine it.

The girl in the shop on the map with the patch on her eye. When you buy something she says ā€œMy-To-Dee!!ā€ Which I assume is basically ā€œthank youā€

1 Like

Why didnā€™t you just say Tome ? Did you forget her name ?

I also picked up a Smithing text that allows me to forge The Book Of Reincarnation so I donā€™t have to suffer the price bump penaltyā€¦ Still not going to use it thoughā€¦ or to be more Accurateā€¦ I canā€™t use itā€¦ it requires three items I have no way of obtainingā€¦ pretty stupid to give me something I canā€™t use. BAD GAME DESIGNā€¦

On the subject of Parrying.

For some reason The Skeleton Yokaiā€™s can only be parried by my swordā€¦ The Kusarigama and Spear Parries just arenā€™t working for some reason.

On the subject of Twilight Missionsā€¦

The twilight missions only become available after I far exceed the recommended level requirementā€¦ is that a bug or what ? Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m not complaining because I never get one shotted in those missionsā€¦ but I feel like something is wrongā€¦ I get a message saying the mission has been unlocked but the mission is just not their in the mapā€¦ its locked missions or missions that were unlocked long before but didnā€™t appear.

So how long has it been now ? 10 Days ? Man this game is too longā€¦

You know whatā€¦ ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Sleepā€¦ lets see if I can finish it before mondayā€¦ and salvage some of my weekend to do something fun for a change.

Edit: Waitā€¦ Need to swallow a Fist Full of Aspirins Firstā€¦

Okayā€¦ good to goā€¦

Edit 2: So appraently Iā€™ve been Under Levelledā€¦ infact Iā€™ve been underlevelled the entire time time in the last two regions.

It loos like permanently losing all them Souls has put me so far behind the progression curve that I canā€™t Catch Upā€¦

Come On Kidsā€¦ all together nowā€¦ BAD GAME DESIGN !!! YAY !!!

Edit 3: theres a conflict in the familiarity mechanicā€¦

The way Familiarity works makes me thinking the developers want me to keep using the same weaponā€¦ the Soul Matching and Inheritance seem to reinforce this, Equipment Sets reinforce this even hardharder.

Unfortunately equipment becomes obselete so quickly in this gameā€¦ especially for Ranged Weaponsā€¦ Iā€™ve never maxed out a single bow or rifleā€¦ a better one comes along before I can even fill up one bar of familiarity. For melee weapons its not so severe but its still a problemā€¦ and that makes me think the developers donā€™t want me to use the same weapon over and over againā€¦ the wonky Soul Matching Costs seem to reinforced thisā€¦ its very lob sidedā€¦ it can take literally all your money to catch up one single weapon and the advantage only lasts for a single missionā€¦ two missions later its outclassed and you can no longer afford to play catch up againā€¦ and thats just for one weaponā€¦ trying to Soul Match 6 or 7 Piece Sets is completely out of the question.

Long Story Shortā€¦ Iā€™ve never purchased, forged or reforged a single thing from Tome and I have 2 Million Gold thats just gathering dustā€¦ it could have been alot more if I hadnā€™t experimented on a few weapons learning how it worksā€¦ or learning that it doesnā€™t actually work properlyā€¦

Its very unfortunate because one of the issues Dark Souls had was everything revolved around the exact same currencyā€¦ and for optimizers like me that currency went torwards levelling up Me and my Weaponsā€¦ leaving nothing left to spend on usable itemā€¦

In Niohā€¦ Having one currency for Progression and another for items solves this issueā€¦ A great idea from Team Ninja but they completely botched the execution.

Devil May Cry 4 used to work the same wayā€¦ Proud Souls took way too long to aquireā€¦as if the game was balanced around the player beating it 4 Times to unlock everythingā€¦ in DMC 4 SE they fixed itā€¦ Proud Souls are aquired at quicker rateā€¦

Red Orbs were actually weird because if you used them on anything other than the Blue and Purple Orbs then you get an item penalty on your grade and that nets you significantly fewer Proud Soulsā€¦ its a system you are never intended to youā€¦ unless if you really suck.

So really that was just a poor example on my partā€¦

Edit 4: Completely forgot about skill points because I barely level up in this gameā€¦ so I had 70 Skill Points that were just gathering Dustā€¦ got me some New Jutsu and Kusarigama Skillsā€¦ lolā€¦ Iā€™ve given this weapon entirely way too many chances to become usefullā€¦ it keeps disappointing. Anything the Kusarigama can do, The Spear can do betterā€¦ I mean liteally more than half the human Bosses use Spearsā€¦ pretty conclusive if you ask meā€¦

Luckily I didnā€™t dump every single point on The Kusarigamaā€¦ I saved someā€¦ Tonfas are underratedā€¦ their short range isnā€™t a disadvantage at allā€¦ especially if you buy Demon Danceā€¦ its more less the Nioh equivalent of Chain Back Stabs in Dark Soulsā€¦

Edit 5: Finallyā€¦ its Overā€¦ hmmmmā€¦ waitā€¦ Double Boss Fights, Tower London, Dragon Of The North, Way of The Strong :scream: ? OH HELL NO !!! Seriously thoughā€¦ this game just doesnā€™t know when to stop.

Soā€¦ I meanā€¦ since the credits rolled that means I technically finished it right ? Or am I just saying that to find an easy way out ?

You know whatā€¦ ā– ā– ā– ā–  itā€¦ its not over until its overā€¦

Edit 6: Backed my Save Fileā€¦ now I can run some experiments without paying for itā€¦ need some way of optimizing my Damage Out Putā€¦ even my High Stance Attacks only take off tiny sliversā€¦ and parrying doesnā€™t workā€¦

Surprised I made it this far without Respeccing, Jutsus (except for Soothing Sunlight and Hidden Bodyā€¦ duh) and Items (not even the locks of hair or spirit stones)ā€¦

Lets try the endurance build one more timeā€¦ see how far I get on Body and Stamina Aloneā€¦

Edit 6: The gameā€™s RNG just screwed me out of 90 Chunks and 240 Fragments in the Reforging Processā€¦ lolā€¦ Yeah theyā€™re pretty much forcing people to Save Scumā€¦

It would be better if atleast they could show the pool that the RNG is seeding from so atleast then you wouldnā€™t waste resources on something that actually isnā€™t possible to getā€¦ but if youā€™re going to do that then why bother using RNG in the first place ?

Also I just learned theres no such thing as an Endurance Buildā€¦ I poured 99 into Body and whatever was left into Stamina and all that together was less than 3000HPā€¦ Munishige has an unblockable attack that does 2800 damage plus 500 Lightning Damageā€¦ So yeahā€¦ the math is not in my favourā€¦

Time to go in the exact opposite Directionā€¦ GLASS CANNON Buildā€¦ apparently this needs Magic to workā€¦ Soā€¦ Back Up My Save File and weā€™re good to goā€¦

Edit 7: For my Glass Cannon I couldnā€™t use Bare Hands because Iā€™m in the wrong Clan and Tome keeps screwing me over with the RNGā€¦ so I Went with a Divine Red Demon Mageā€¦

The Key strategy here is to use Carnage & Slothā€¦ for Lone Bosses this was Borderline brokenā€¦ was able to kill Hundred Eyes before he could start his ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ Was also able to Kill all three Hollow Men one at a time before they and the Yokai could swarm meā€¦

That just leaves Honda & Munishige and Nobunaga & Onnaā€¦

The thing thats making this Build abit wonky is The Spearā€¦ its only level 98 and I canā€™t forge a proper one for the level 160 missions Iā€™m doingā€¦ Soul Matching isnā€™t going to work either because I only have 1 Million Gold and you need 250 Million to go from 98 to 105 using another spearā€¦ lolā€¦ seriously thoughā€¦ the Soul Matching is broken. Theres no way to make that much gold.

Edit 8: Doing the Dragon Of The North DLCā€¦ so far the Equipment Grind seems to have stoppedā€¦ theres been a level cap of 150 on all equipment drops so I donā€™t have to deal with that bull ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ for nowā€¦ I know for a fact that theres atleast another 70 Levels of Equipment Grindingā€¦

But thats not importantā€¦ so theres a new enemyā€¦ Snake Head Yokaisā€¦ it didnā€™t take long to find a Cheese Method for this jerkā€¦ heā€™l either use far reaching linear attacks or wide sweeping attacks and he canā€™t do both at the same timeā€¦ in open Space heā€™s entirely way to easy to kill so it comez as no surprise to me to see this enemy appear almost exclusively in Narrow Spacesā€¦ they gave him slow movement to stop you from leashing him out into open space Duh !!! Luckily Iā€™ve yet to encounter any enemies that have bordeline stupid leashes like the ones in Dark Soulsā€¦ so really the slow movement is pointlessā€¦ its just as pointless as placing those enemies on Bridges and Narrow Passage waysā€¦

Iā€™ve seen a few configurations were they place two of these enemies in one spot but they donā€™t explicitly force you to take both of them on so againā€¦ pointless to do that in the first placeā€¦ but Dark Souls did it so Nioh must do it tooā€¦

I dropped 600 000 souls because they placed these enemies with unblockable attacks in spaces where you canā€™t dodgeā€¦

Oh and you can level up guardian Spirits nowā€¦ YAYā€¦ because thats just what this game neededā€¦ more levelling upā€¦ clearly they felt like having to Level your character, your equipment, the special effects on your equipment, and the character responsible for making your equipmentā€¦ so no you can level up the guardian spiritsā€¦ INDEPENDENTLY !!! honestly its pointlessā€¦ The Guardian Spirits need Amirita to activate and Amirita only falls out of slain enemies not damaged enemies so in Boss Fights its Uselessā€¦ Iā€™m reminded of Metal Gear Rising where the boss was accompanied by other enemiesā€¦ really they were there to help youā€¦ not the boss, since you can feed on their spinal juice to get your health and blade mode backā€¦ and then later on they just decided stop doing thatā€¦ lolā€¦ in DOOM they gave some of the bosses Glory Staggers that allowed you to use Glory Kills without the actual killingā€¦ everybody wins.

Edit 9: So somehow I managed to get mobbed by 2 Warriors and 3 Yokai and I was forced into The Date Shigezane Boss Fight before I was readyā€¦ After the cutsceneā€¦ the dude runs up and casually swings his swordā€¦ and Just like that 3000 Damageā€¦ I only have 2900 Health so you do the mathā€¦

Okayā€¦ getting one shotted by Bosses who merely ā– ā– ā– ā–  in my general direction is nothing newā€¦ but whatā€™s stupid about Captain Bugman is it feels Team Ninja just straight up ran out of ideas for Bosses so they just lock you into a room with Flailing ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ pump up his Damage and Hope something interesting happensā€¦

Date Shigezane is the first Boss Fight Iā€™ve defeated without Elixirsā€¦ no Iā€™m not braggingā€¦ Iā€™m actually complainingā€¦ I think thereā€™s only one of his attacks I could get hit by and Surviveā€¦ everything else one shots meā€¦ clean !!! So I beat him Perfectā€¦ BY ACCIDENT !!! LoLā€¦ The Red Demon Mage is Catching Up To meā€¦ I had to whittle down his stamina then thanks to Onmyo Mystic Arts I was able to Inflict Debuffs on Him and Buffs On me very quicklyā€¦ from there it was one hit into a Stagger and then I unleashed some Mindless Flailing Of My Own to Finish off his ā– ā– ā– ā€¦

You Know Whatā€¦ I feel like tapping outā€¦ I have nothing to proveā€¦ its not the Frustration thats getting to meā€¦ its the developers lack of imaginationā€¦ even Dark Souls could spice up its cheapness with Gimmicky Bosses like Friede and Twin Princes, they were cheap but still uniqueā€¦ with Nioh its the same tedious ā– ā– ā– ā–  over and over againā€¦ One Hit Killā€¦ its literally the gameā€™s only move and it uses so often. Dark Souls knew how to keep my frustration freshā€¦

Edit 10: God Dammnit !!!.. lolā€¦ I thought I was freeā€¦ but when I heard that there was a level cap on the entire way of the The Strong Playthroughā€¦ I had to test drive for myselfā€¦ being able to replay all the missions with out the need to grind equipment is something they should have done right out of the gateā€¦ so now I donā€™t have to cheat anymoreā€¦ but first I need to go through the DLC Firstā€¦ if only to grab Sarutobiā€™s Tonfaā€™sā€¦

Oh waitā€¦ I forgot to complain, so in one of the side missions theres this ā€œBoss Fightā€ involving three Revenants type baddies, the developers gave these guys insane Ki Damageā€¦ to their regular strong attacks.

I genuinely donā€™t get why they did thisā€¦ there are moves in the game that are specifically dedicated for Guard Breaksā€¦ so why didnā€™t they just use one of those instead ? Itā€™s just very jarring going through the whole game being able to block Strong attacks only to for them to suddenly be able to guard breakā€¦

Any way I beeat the revenants by exploited the level design and the AI pathing codeā€¦ Classic Dark Soulsā€¦

I clicked on this thread just out of curiosity - I donā€™t have a PS4 and I donā€™t play Nioh. But what a treat!

When I was a kid in school I used to have a friend who would always say ā€œthatā€™s not hard!ā€ About anything somebody else could do that he couldnā€™t. He always had some perverse definition of ā€œhardā€ that never made sense to anyone and was irrelevant. We all knew he was just jealous and was trying to somehow detract from other peopleā€™s accomplishments. I think he knew it too, but for whatever reason he couldnā€™t help himself. Instead of convincing us all nothing we did was hard, he just convinced us all it was too hard being friends with him. I wonder what made me think of him nowā€¦

I canā€™t get into ā€œSouls-likeā€ games, so Iā€™m inclined to be somewhat sympathetic. My response to their style of difficulty is to play extremely cautiously. Which slows the games down to a crawl, and often leaves me doing the same things over and over again. The game starts to feel like a chore and then I walk away. The one I made it farthest in was The Surge because I enjoyed the Sci Fi aesthetic. But I didnā€™t finish it. But Iā€™m not going to argue that just because I donā€™t like it, itā€™s bad game design. I like lots of weird games that plenty of people donā€™t like. Trying to convince people that what you like is ā€œgoodā€ and what you donā€™t like is ā€œbadā€ is a pretty middle school thing to do. And so is dismissing peopleā€™s help after you specifically ask for help. I know @FallofSeraphs76 loves Souls games. So does my brother. Clearly the games arenā€™t ā€œbadā€ for everyone. Why would I try to convince them?

Anyway as @STORM179 points out, my gaming time is limited and super precious to me. Do I want to force myself to ā€œlearn to loveā€ these games or do I just go play Monster Hunter World or Octopath Traveler instead? I understand the compulsion to finish games but at some point itā€™s time to move on.

I will say though, that one if the reasons I was able to get into KI more than any other fighter as far as competitive mentality and really starting to understand the game is that I was able to admit for just a second that my failures might not be the games fault. It might be me. And amazingly, this allowed me to actually learn a lot and enjoy that process. I wonā€™t place in any majors but I enjoy the game a lot more. Seems a lot more fun than just saying ā€œI know that already but itā€™s not true because your definition of ā€˜choiceā€™ doesnā€™t match mine.ā€ But hey what do I know.

2 Likes

Hey Andy, I corrected your sentence.

:grin: also, you can tag people to get their direct attention but I know you already know that :joy: :rofl:

Thats why we give examples.

I was critiquing the gameā€¦ not begging for help. Iā€™m not above asking for help which is why I joined UC in the first placeā€¦ I think weā€™re still in an age where people are afraid to ask for help because people were will make fun of themā€¦ The Souls Games community is the embodiment of this phenomenon and can be summarized in two simple wordsā€¦ ā€œGit Fud.ā€

I donā€™t think you understand what a Compulsion isā€¦ its the inability to move on despite all logical or illogical reasoningā€¦

Luckily its more of a quirk than a serious problemā€¦ some compulsions I wouldnā€™t wish on my worst enemy.

This is also what I love about Fighting Gamesā€¦ Todayā€¦ in the past it was harder to convince a well asjusted person why Infinites and Glitches were totally fair and competitive.

Its not my definition its ā€œTHEā€ Definitionā€¦ certain games are going to go against conventional practices and tried and true formulasā€¦ this is necessary to come up with some truly innovative worksā€¦ but innovative =/= Good. Its a difficult concept to grasp espcially in an era of derivative, formulaic junk cluttering up the best sellers lists but I donā€™t give anything a free pass for merely being differentā€¦

And last but not leastā€¦ if theres something you want to say to meā€¦ you could just be more direct about it instead of trying to be sneakyā€¦

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ I know you donā€™t want to get into it with meā€¦ I wouldnā€™t eitherā€¦ still thoughā€¦

Meanwhile in other newsā€¦I encountered a new bossā€¦ I almost didnā€™t notice it but this boss has Infinite Living Weaponā€¦

Up until now most bosses seem to have a finite amount of living weaponā€¦ some are pretty ā– ā– ā– ā–  long but eventually they all endā€¦ in continuing the tradition of breaking its own rules they decided to give a Boss with already high Ki recovery to begin withā€¦ infinite Ki essentially.

I think the tenporary ā€œPowered Upā€ states some bosses have was meant to inject some variety into the fightsā€¦ kudos to Team Ninja for not falling into the trap of having bosses feel like regular enemies only with their health and damage turned up to 11 (even though they actually did make this mistake)ā€¦ unfortunately Because Living Weapon is Invincibleā€¦ only a Moron would try to engage the boss in this stateā€¦ so they Run away and let the boss exhaust itself back into a more beatable stateā€¦ infactā€¦ their stamina is empty when they recover from a living weapon so this is where most of the shenanigans happenā€¦ debuff the boss while theyā€™re out of Stamina and buff your self and you can end the fight right then & thereā€¦ by default grapple hits deal like 5% Damageā€¦ but by using exploits you can amp it up to to 25% or Moreā€¦

This is essentially how I beat every boss after Yamata-No-Orochiā€¦ it would take too long other wise. I killed Captain Bugman so quickly that I donā€™t even know what his Living Weapon Move set looks like. I stacked the damage so quickly that I skipped over that phase of the fight.

And nowā€¦ TN being completely out of ideas just threw their hands up and gave this next Boss Infinite Living Weaponā€¦

Holy Crap Iā€™ve been so caught up in the cheap deaths that I almost forgot how I ended up there in the first placeā€¦ LoLā€¦ I didnā€™t even want to do that bossā€¦ I was ready to call it a night but I decided to read the description of the next missionā€¦ half way through reading I hear the confirmation sound and the game starts loading the missionā€¦ I know it wasnā€™t me because I was holding my Controller only in my left handā€¦ nothing went near the Confirmation buttonā€¦ lolā€¦ The Game saw fit to make that decision for meā€¦

Speaking Of Ghosting Inputsā€¦ remember when I thought the game was ingoring my inputsā€¦ I was wrongā€¦ in the Bugman Fight I just happened to be looking at my Elxir Icon as I pressed the Elixir Shortcutā€¦ and It Definitely Flickeredā€¦ confirming that the input was actually registeredā€¦ but Angie didnā€™t drinkā€¦ a similar thing happens in Dark Soulsā€¦ but I discovered that it was because being out of Stamina also meant you couldnā€™t use itemsā€¦ Estus counts as an itemā€¦ this is weird because items arenā€™t one of the things that use staminaā€¦ they stop stamina from recoverying but they donā€™t actually use itā€¦

Unfortunately thats not what happened in Niohā€¦ and I know this because if I was out of Stamina I would be deadā€¦ long before the opportunity to get screwed out of my input would even happen.

Speaking Of Whichā€¦ I think The Developers are sneaking in extra damage when they think Iā€™m not lookingā€¦ so this boss has this one grabā€¦lets skip over why the speed and size of the grab makes this move cheap and get right into the problemā€¦ The Damage. So when I first started the fight The Grab would only kill me if my health was anything other than 100% Fullā€¦ after dying a few times that very same grab under the very same condition began Killing Me Out right Despite Full Healthā€¦ this isnā€™t the first time when I thought the damage is inconsistent but It looks like Team Ninja screwed up and I stumbled into a situation where a minute change in Damage was the difference between life and deathā€¦ confirming something actually is going on.

Actually why would Team Ninja want to punish the people struggling in the first placeā€¦ I never really understood Souls Games design in the first place but this is confusing even by Souls Game Logicā€¦ are they intentionally beig jerks ? I know fans of the game will see something like this as the ā€œCulling Of The Weakā€ but I never thought the developers themselves shared this way of thinking and would sneak in a feature to make sure it happensā€¦ Hmmmmā€¦

Lol. Iā€™ve missed you Andy :joy:

Exactly. Thereā€™s lots of games whose mechanics/designs I donā€™t like or enjoy. The underlying and core philosophies just donā€™t click with me. Doesnā€™t mean the titles are bad necessarily, just means they arenā€™t for me. And thatā€™s perfectly ok. I have no idea where people get the idea that ā€œmaybe this isnā€™t for youā€ is some kind of snide insult; itā€™s simply an observation that perhaps said thing just isnā€™t your cup of tea.

How is it? Iā€™m thinking itā€™s going to be my next purchase after BOTW ceases taking over my life :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Then when storm answered you, you proceeded to argue with him that he didnā€™t have the right projectiles and then that his solution was impossible for anyone other than him making him uniquely unqualified to give game advice. Which is both ridiculous and offensive and is exactly begging for help and then rejecting the help that is offered. As an aside, I have pretty slow reactions myself but you might also check to see if your TV has a significant display lag or if you are running it in settings that maximize display lag - this can make a big difference in what is ā€œreactable.ā€

Also you canā€™t say you have a compulsion, that compulsions means itā€™s irresistsble and then that fortunately your compulsion is minor and you are able to resist it. And for the record you are confusing ā€œchoiceā€ with ā€œchoices that lead to equal outcomes.ā€ The developers are free to make some choices in the game lead to better outcomes than others. Thatā€™s a big part of learning to play games. You can choose to play MARIO without holding the ā€œrunā€ button. But you wonā€™t do as well as if you use it.

Please donā€™t take this the wrong way, but you seem really interested in sharing your experience with Nioh and talking about it. But your reluctance to admit you might be contributing in any way to either your failures (ā€œtheyā€™re not failures, Iā€™m doing just fine at the gameā€ - I saved you some time) at the game or your lack of enjoyment is putting people off. If you could be a bit more conversational Iā€™m sure a ton of people would be happy to talk to you. It is a video game forum after allā€¦

Sadly, I write these responses mostly on the bus going to and from work. This is time I would otherwise use to have either more pleasant discussions or to finish Radiant Historia on my 3DS. So as fun as this has been I will likely take my own advice and not respond to your explanation of why Iā€™m completely wrong.

Full disclosure: I bought a Switch just to play this game. I like old school RPGs and I think the art direction for this is beautiful. So it would be nearly impossible for me not to like it. Keep that in mind. I only have a few hours invested so far but I really like it. The combat system is intuitive but requires some thought. Itā€™s pretty easy in the beginning but you can already see how the difficulty will escalate by asking you to ā€œsolveā€ problems of multiple enemies with differing weaknesses etc. The reviews are critical of the story, but I think this is unfair. Each character has their own very deep, well developed story. The characters just donā€™t have any significant interactions with each other within your party. I suspect this is because you can pick up the nominal 8 characters in nearly any order so the price for that freedom is the developers would need to write 7 compelling pieces of dialogue for each characterā€™s introduction. Start adding multiperson conversations within the party and you can see the problem. Like I said, instead they have focused on putting together a detailed story for each individual. This works fine for me. Iā€™ve played RPGs for 30 years so ā€œI need help and youā€™re a wandering adventurer, letā€™s go together,ā€ works fine for me and even adds a bit to the faux nostalgia of the game. Your mileage may vary. My play time is limited (I have three travelers at this point), but I like all three characters and feel invested in completing their stories. I obviously donā€™t have experience with late game mechanics or party engineering but the game and itā€™s presentation all feel really polished and lovingly crafted. Iā€™m enjoying it tremendously.

1 Like

Thatā€™s all I needed to hear. Iā€™m decidedly NOT an old-school RPG guy (didnā€™t play a mainline FF until FFX, almost 8 years after itā€™s release), but the look and descriptions of the gameā€™s combat have caught my eye.

To be honest, I REALLY just want to play FF Tactics again. Thatā€™s one of my all-time favorite games, and I feel like Iā€™ve yet to play a game with such a cool open combat system. Iā€™ve enjoyed other gamesā€™ combat engines just fine, but a new FFT is really what I want :joy:

1 Like

LOL as soon as I seen you like a post here I knew you were in for a treat. I anxiously awaited your response LOLā€¦ you did not let me down.

1 Like

Which Boss has infinite LW? I dont recall this oneā€¦ what does he look like and where is he?
Where are you at exactly int he game? Which region of the map and which stage?

Itā€™s definitely NOT final fantasy tactics (which I only played on the Game Boy Advance). Thereā€™s no spatial positioning element to the combat strategy. Itā€™s probably best described as an alternative future version of Final Fantasy if people decided 3D polygon graphics were not interesting and Final Fantasy VII was never made. Thatā€™s not really doing it justice, but I would not discuss it in the same category as any real FF game since IV. There are lots of DS and 3Ds JRPGs that are closer to it than modern FF games.

My opinion is that the combat is compelling enough to generate interest and the visuals are amazingly simple but beautiful. The storybook/ pop-up look is a combination of pixel art and the Unreal engine. Iā€™m five hours in and I still just marvel at it. But given your particular interest I would encourage you to try the demo first to see how you feel about combat.

DISCLAIMER: I Have to make my responses super long long to address the the common responses for the sake of my sanityā€¦ I donā€™t like having to reprove crap Iā€™ve proved beforeā€¦ so now I just preprove ā– ā– ā– ā–  hoping that will move things along.

We were arguing before thatā€¦

Also my queation lacked specificity. From a distance those projectiles are easy to react to and remain on screen longer. However Iā€™ve been using what fighting games taught me to doā€¦ being at a distance where I can punish her for using the projectiles is what made them unreactableā€¦ being too close didnā€™t allow them to remain on screen long enoughā€¦ its the equivalent of Guileā€™s Heavy Sonic Boom just outside of Footsies distanceā€¦ it just catches people by surprise.

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ I still accept that I lost that exchange but just like the Chosen Undead I shall learn from my mistake and ask specific questions next time.

Its a 4K TV so its pretty ā– ā– ā– ā–  laggy And thats where I fought Hino-Enma and Umi-Bozuā€¦ however Iā€™ve been playing the PC version and every fight after that was on my Monitorā€¦ its nothing specialā€¦ wasnā€™t meanā€™t for gaming but it responsive. The number of Invulnerable Frames and the Duration Of The Dodge itself makes it unreliable to try and phase through attacks Dark Souls Styleā€¦ so its more practical to physicaly get out of the way of many attacks rather than trying to Pass Through themā€¦

And I would go on to explain what went wrong here but I already did to Storm so you probably already came across itā€¦ ignored all its contentsā€¦ and claim I simply think the dodge is bad design because I donā€™t like it (I actually do like itā€¦ its not as good as Furiā€™s but its Way cooler than the one Dark Souls uses).

On this last noteā€¦ So Does Team Ninja expect everybody to just have perfect TVā€™s or whatā€¦ ? Its this lack of consideration thats at the heart of alot of problems with Niohā€¦

The builds
Mechanics
Level Design
The Hardware
Etc

All feel like they were setup with one ideal player in mind and everyone else be damnedā€¦

Very strange because theyā€™re also made one of the only games where the console version has Graphics Settingsā€¦ its very simple but I feel like that tiny bit of consideration put them leagues ahead of many other games where you canā€™t even turn off the motion blur.

LoLā€¦ thats not what I saidā€¦ I did say it was minor but I never said I overcame itā€¦ or that I could over come it.

Believe meā€¦ I tried to put this thing down after BugMan and after Orochiā€¦ and I didā€¦ I had the game uninstalled and everythingā€¦ 24 hours later and I get this nagging itch that just wonā€™t go awayā€¦ and now Iā€™m hereā€¦ I think its funnyā€¦ the sensation I get from leaving an RPG incomplete was worse than the migraine I get from playing itā€¦

And Iā€™m free to Criticised them for itā€¦

Infact I think Team Ninja should reserve the right to sell theyā€™re game selectively to specific types of people, if only to stop people like me from ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  About it.

I meanā€¦ they can do it right ? Legally Speakingā€¦

So how would they do thisā€¦ well I mean so Steam Games ask your Age before they let you see the detailsā€¦ that seems like the quickest way to do itā€¦

But what question or questions could Team Ninja ask that seperates people like me from people like you ?

ā€œDo you like Souls Games/Ninja Gaiden ?ā€

Hmmmā€¦ noā€¦ Nioh is neither of those things so all thats going to do is build up expectations and leave people disappointed.

ā€œDo you like Dyingā€¦ usually in a single hit ?ā€

While this question properly sets up the Nioh experience and Filter out people like me, all its going to do is chase everybody awayā€¦ even the people who would like it would be put off by this questionā€¦

I donā€™t know howā€¦ but I think they can doā€¦

Actually you wonā€™t get very farā€¦ theres a giant pit on the first level that requires you to run to clear itā€¦

Seeā€¦ Mario isnā€™t an RPGā€¦ you donā€™t have to micromanage the stats that govern his Jump, Sprint, Acceleration, etcā€¦ which also means that if you ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up and spend all your XP ugrading your jump instead of your speed then you wonā€™t have to suffer and grind to fix your stats so you can clear a pitā€¦ RPGs 101ā€¦

Now inbetween frustrating deathsā€¦ I spent some time watching other people play Niohā€¦ and guess whatā€¦ they all completed the game or certain bosses neglecting alot features or just not knowing how certain mechanics works. I would think a super hard core game would stop this from happening but nopeā€¦

DSP completed the game using Nothing but a spear in Mid Stanceā€¦

I myself beat it without any items and with a rubbish stat distributionā€¦

Others beat it without Ki Pulseā€¦

These were all blind play throughsā€¦ not some self imposed challengeā€¦

You know whats funnyā€¦ they all ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about the same things I didā€¦ Hino-Enma, Yuki-Ona, Umi Bozuā€¦ all ofā€™emā€¦ we all suffered and we all triumphed and at the end they say the game is greatā€¦ like they have short memories or something. I have a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  memory too but nothing cements an event in my mind harder than doing something over and over againā€¦ and so I donā€™t forget or forgive cheap deathsā€¦

You should watch Maximillianā€™s Playthroughā€¦ He will call that cheap stuff for what is and no matter how frequently it happens heā€™l say the game is a Solid 9/10ā€¦ I donā€™t know. Maybe the bulk of his score is based on the setting and lore rather than the combatā€¦

Theres this one guy I knewā€¦ the steering wheel on his car snapped offā€¦ so he tightened a wrench on the Steering mechanism and drove the car that wayā€¦ now if he let somebody else drive his car and they crashed it and he blamed them then that would make a great anology for whats wrong The Souls Gamesā€¦ unfortunately that didnā€™t happenā€¦ waitā€¦ fortunatelyā€¦ I meanā€™t to say fortunately !!

I already have a number of games where I accept responsibility for my failuresā€¦ I could list them to you but I often find in these types of debates people just filter that ā– ā– ā– ā–  out and remain stubborn.

Both From Software and Team Ninja set out to make the ultimate Hardcore Challenging experience and they saw fit to punish you severely if you failā€¦ if youā€™re going to make a game that has this level of punishment then your game had ā– ā– ā– ā–  well better the closest thing to perfect as it possibly canā€¦ Every thing from the Hit Detection to the HUD had better work consistently like clockworkā€¦ I think this is fair and its also more or less what makes Fighting Games so amazingā€¦ Today.

Unfortunately Both Nioh and Dark Souls were chockful of technical issues when they first came outā€¦

I could simply claim no death was my fault based on that alone and that FS and TN Scammed me out of my moneyā€¦ and Iā€™d be right.

So right there you already have the dillemma of where do you draw the line ? When does the gameā€™ s cheapness end and the playerā€™s Responsibility begin ? If I were to complain that I didnā€™t know how a specific mechanic worked in Street Fighter then anybody telling me that I should have had the sense to go looking for the information would just across as an ā– ā– ā–  holeā€¦ but in Souls games whenever numerous parry attempts fail you are expected to go off on your own and look up just how the parries work or what can or canā€™t be parried and any failure to do so is not only your own fault but the level scrub shaming from these types of gamers is even worse than anything Iā€™ve seen in the FGCā€¦ if youā€™re lucky youā€™l get a ā€œGit Gud ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€ and that will be the end of itā€¦

Sorry went of on a Tangent there.

Okay say thats just for technical problems onlyā€¦
Now I havenā€™t done this for Nioh just yet but in Dark Soulsā€¦ I took a step back and thoughtā€¦ ā€œWhat if the game had zero bugs and ran perfectly ?ā€ Luckily I didnā€™t have to rely on my imagination and From Finally released Dark Souls Remasteredā€¦

This made it easier to seperate the technical issues from the design issuesā€¦

Actually some technical issues remain but atleast the FPS isnā€™t one of themā€¦

You know what really messed up thoughā€¦ had I been anyone elseā€¦ anyone else at all then you and Storm and the rest of the Hardcore Brigade could have probably convinced me that it was my faultā€¦ that I should know which stats are important and which ones are rubbishā€¦

Its always easy to for something to seem fair in Hindsightā€¦ a very clever trick Dark Souls 1 is good at pulling offā€¦

Example 1:
In the tutorialā€¦ actuallyā€¦ this is a spoilerā€¦ hang onā€¦

[SPOILER] Okay so in Undead Asylum theres a Rock sitting at the top of a set of Stairsā€¦ go up the stairs and the boulder will squash youā€¦ now Iā€™ve heard alot of people say this is fair because the boulder doesnā€™t just fall by itself. A hollow has to push it. Nevermind that the area is so dark that the boulder doesnā€™t even look like a boulderā€¦on my first playthrough it I though it was just a poorly lit passage.

To test my theory I used my cousin and his friend as my guinea pigs and when they arrived at the Boulder Trapā€¦ I would yell: ā€œSTAHP !!! Look around, do you notice anything ?ā€

And they be like: ā€œNope, Nothing here, Boss.ā€

And then Iā€™m like: ā€œOkayā€¦ continue.ā€

And lo behold they both got squashed by the Boulderā€¦ Iā€™l give the edged to my cousinā€™s friend because atleast he had the sense to raise his shield going up the stairsā€¦ probably because I tipped him off.

So yeahā€¦ right out of the gate I know youā€™l counter by saying ā€œBut I saw it and avoided that boulderā€¦ so uhmā€¦ Git Gud Scrub!ā€ [/SPOILER]

Example 2:

now this example is weaker because I only heard this from one personā€¦ so in Senā€™s Fortress thereā€™s another Boulder Trapā€¦ now the Boulder Introduces itself by squishing a snake man long before theres any danger of squishing youā€¦ so thats not the trapā€¦ the trap is making it to the Boulderā€™s Sourceā€¦ figuring out how it works and then moving the trap to direct the boulders to a spot where it will do no harmā€¦ only to go spelunking and getting squished by the Boulder from behind. Now even Soulsters say this unfairā€¦ but its the reasoning that I find abit wonkyā€¦ because they say its unfair because the boulder trap moves all by itself when the player steps on some invisible Triggers in the level. Apparently had they placed an enemy there (Or Patches) at the Trapā€™s source then getting blindsided by it would feel more fairā€¦ just like in the Asylum.

So thats the trickā€¦ From Software reserves the right to blame you for the traps that get you so long as they place a prop nearby the trap and let the player connect the Dots and then the players who make it praise theyā€™re awesome batman like detective skills while the players who get caught blame themselves without the need to go online and get blamed by Strangersā€¦ and they both have proof to back up their outcomesā€¦ IN HINDSIGHT !!!

If theres one compliment I can give From Software its ā– ā– ā– ā–  they know how to really ā– ā– ā– ā–  with peopleā€™s mindsā€¦ they had me tooā€¦ I also blamed myself the first couple of times until I really examined it.

And thus this the Cycle Continues.

Donā€™t worryā€¦ youā€™l have your opportunity to respond when I ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about Nioh 3 a few years from nowā€¦ hopefully or unhopefully your schedule will clear up by then.