Nioh (PS4)

It doesn’t seem like you enjoy Nioh even a little @Lulekani - so why bother playing it? Not all games are for everyone, and if the game isn’t fun, then I recommend going and doing something with your free time that you actually find fun. Just a thought.

For myself, I find Nioh’s brand of punishment pretty rewarding. Most deaths are pretty much your own fault, particularly once you get a sense of when and how Nioh likes to try and gank you. If you’re in a place that looks like a trap, it almost certainly is, and the game gives a nice mini-map sound and flare when an opponent procs and is about to ambush you. I haven’t been genuinely surprised by enemies except for maybe twice in the game after I cleared the second area; by that point I’d pretty much wizened up to all the game’s traps.

For the boss fights, I didn’t find Hino-Enma too tough. I used an odachi and basically just kited her. You don’t have to dodge out of the way - sometimes (a lot of times) just turn around and haul ■■■ when you really need to clear an attack. Back away a bit, drop a giant sword chop on their head, rinse and repeat. I mix up my weapons for different boss fights very regularly - katana in low stance is great for hit and run (against Nue for instance), and sometimes you just want to drop their stamina and health with single OP strikes (Hino-Enma). Sometimes you just wanna be a jerk and keep a guy away with spear thrusts. I personally like the variety :slight_smile:

And random note, but are you sure Stamina is really the stat you should be caring about @Lulekani? All stamina does is allow you to wear heavier armor without slowing down…seems like a weird stat to be focusing on :confused:

2 Likes

Never Leave a Job Half Finished…

When I was younger I tried having having cereal with orange juice instead of milk… it wasn’t that good… my mom was furious so she made me eat… Cereal, Juice and a sprinkle of children’s tears… now that’s a wholesome breakfast !!!

That doesn’t make sense.

Pretty much all deaths involving multiple enemies are never your fault… unlike GoW, DMC or Batman… the enemies in both Dark Souls and Nioh aren’t governed by an AI Overlord that stops enemies from attacking in away that leaves no gaps in between for you to retaliate safely or even just to avoid one attack without getting hit by the other as you recover. Not only is not your fault if you die because of this its also not really a triumph if you do manage to beat them because ultimately its all just dumb luck if the enemies happen to leave a gap in for you to attack…

Now you can “micromanage” the enemies by running around in circles in order to one to attack and space him far enough apart as the other one chases you so you can attack it… but:

1. You’re essentially just fighting one enemy in the 2 seconds where it matters.
  2. In true Souls Games fashion the developers will either stuff you in tiny room or on a tiny elevated platform with with multiple enemies where this tactic is no longer viable… on top of that the cheapness is even stronger now because the camera bouncing off the walls or being force to make a decision between dodging and falling to your doom or taking a hit to stay alive is going to make the fight even cheaper…

In short… the secrete formula to these game’s difficult is essentially just put your character in situations that they are not equiped for and the secret to beating them is to micromanage the little things and hope you make it out alive…

Fans don’t seem to see this…I reckon its because they designed in such thats not blatantly obvious that they trying to kill you… like taking 3 steps in any direction would cause your character to explode spontaneously or something… rather they do it more subtly so that the person with a loose definition of fair won’t notice how not fair it actually is.

Which could explain why its such a niche sub genre… you won’t convince a normal person that even the fact you have to restart at the last most recent bonfire/shrine is fair… and why would it be… ? You already killed all those enemies so why should you be forced to kill them again ? To prove how hardcore you are ?

Me neither… the trap is only one half of the equation and even then its not the most important part…

What bugs me is these traps seem like they were designed to taken advantage of the games problems… like the camera bouncing off the walls…

I would say its not a very good trap but in the world of game design theres no such thing as a good trap… all traps bad design.

Trickery is a very important part of game design because Because for whatever reason gamers have influated egos, grossly overestimate their skills and a serious aversion to tutorials or explicit learning… the best trap in games aren’t even actually traps…they are actually some sort of challenge masquarding as a trap mean’t satiate the gamer’s ego… and if for really talented developers they can even make their tutorials look like traps on order to to get the player to learn something they would other wise try to skip in an explicit tutorial mode. From Software didn’t feel like doing any of that so their traps are just that… Traps… if you see 'em they’re easy to avoid if you don’t then you die…and rather than trying to actually make these traps interesting they focus all their efforts on making sure the traps are invisible enough so that they catch some people but not so invisible that will make the player say “How the hell was I suppose to see that ? !”

Me neither… just because I died 20 times doesn’t mean I was struggling. All those deaths occured in a one hour window because I kept dying before I got a chance to do anything.

Me too.

This isn’t a choice… you’re forced run instead of dodging because:

Dark Souls 3 had many situations like this… in order to not get hit you needed to be no where near the opponent when they do they’re move because its too large and meaty too dodge through/away from it.

I guess thats the difference between regular people and Souls fans… a normal person would recognize that if the move that was specifically dedicated for evading attacks gets outclassed by something as simple as running then something has gone horribly wrong.

Me too… Not by choice though… after all it wouldn’t be an RPG if your tools weren’t progressively getting worse and worse…

Not that it matters because:

The variety is mostly in the animations… if the enemies are either big enough or fast enough then spears and tonfas are all the same… DMC and its 5 weapons have more actual play style variety than all the weapons in Nioh… of course this is nothing new… RPGs have always been quantity over quality… with the exception of Super Giant Games obviously. The only studio to make an RPG under the consideration that the player might have other things to do.

It also increases health… well… it used to increase health… now I actually get a negatively value when I try to level it up…

Speaking of which… is it normal to be getting one shotted by regular run of the mill Yokai but shrugging off the Bozu’s most devasting attack like a mosquito bite ? That it is some seriously wonky balancing going on on this game. Actually the bigger the Yokai get the more likely I can survive getting hit by them.

Sounds to me you are using all your KI (stamina) and falling into the exhausted riposte state. You cant move once that happens. You have to manage your Ki and KI pulse at the right moment to get your stamina back before its exhausted.

the area your are in is one of my favorites… that boss is cool too…use the fire torches to weaponize your katana to deal the most damage and then your living weapon on the blob once he reaches the deck you are on.

Sure it does. It’s not my fault you find the particular challenges of the game un-fun and unrewarding. Plenty of others quite enjoy it -shrug-

I rarely die to multiple enemies, so yes, it is? It’s not the game’s fault you refuse to acknowledge that the enemies are earnestly trying to kill you, and are not content to simply wait their turn. If you’re being stubborn about trying to fight and dodge when the name of the game is (a) pull out a weapon/stance with a wide sweep and keep them at bay, (b) retreat to a more defensible location, (c.) use block skills to knock down and buy time, or (d) pop Living Weapon and go nuts, then that’s on you. The game is the game. It’s pretty clear about what tactics are effective and which are not, and that’s on you if you simply refuse to learn the lesson.

This is just a really silly thing to say, and again kind of begs the question of why you would subject yourself to sub-genres that have as a hallmark punishing traps :confused:

That’s actually exactly what that means. If you died for an entire hour before you “got a chance to do anything”, that’s pretty much the exact definition of the word.

And in Killer Instinct you’re forced into breaking or you eat 50% any time the opponent touches you. In Mario you’re forced to go around whomps instead of killing them, in Call of Duty you’re forced to take cover when you hit some bullet-hell choke point instead of running into the middle. Games force binary survival choices on you all the time, and Nioh isn’t even particularly egregious about it. If you want your dodges to be more effective so you don’t have to run you can do that - just equip light armor and know that if you mess up a dodge you’re gonna feel it. I’m running a light armor build right now and having a blast.

Or…each tool has its uses for different situations? :thinking:

Virtually every skill can level up health (which is why you should scroll through the list at every upgrade to see what exactly you’ll get). If you just want to face tank your way through the game though, you’d be much better off leveling up body. Non-stamina upgrades also tend to upgrade weapon damage.

1 Like

OMG LMAO! Im dying over here! :rofl: STAPH!!!

Well said! i do this in all Souls like games… try each line until I can get the best view of what is going to help me in the now and long run.

Nope… thats not it. I stopped making that mistake long before Hino-Enma…

Thats another thing thats wrong with these games… my first couple of Attempts it never even occured to me that I wasn’t suppose to be doing that little damage… I Damage Sponges are Par for the course in these games so when it took me 5 Minutes to whittle down the bosses health by 10% I didn’t think twice about it… After all that is how Khalameet and Midir were.

It wasn’t until I accidentally stood next to one of the fires that I saw the button prompt… and even then I kept dying in phase two because the animation takes entirely way too long… and theres no obvious window indicating when I’m suppose to light up my weapon.

There’s loot scattered around the fires… I’m assuming the devs did this to to attract the player torwards the fire… unfortunately because these games take pride in violating the player’s trust then it could have just as easily been yet another trap… what they should have actually done was have those fires scattered throughout the level so you could try them on the smaller jelly monsters.

Would it have made the game easier ? Sure… but it also would have made it alil more interesting…

Atleast thats what soneone else would say… really the fact that success or failure is so largely affected purely by being able to do more damage with out needing to change the way I play is the actual problem here.

BTW I lost another 50 000 Souls in that same area on a sub mission…twas yet another sequence of Cheap Deaths… in short… got hit by an off camera enemy then was finished off by another enemy… died again on the way back because of fighting an enemy I had already killed on a narrow platform… I literally didn’t even the energy to be frustrated anymore I was somewhat indifferent to the whole thing…

The game is only going to throw more and more damaging enemies at me in larger groups so permanently losing progress like this is going to put me behind the progression curve… I would have to Grind to make up for it… and I’m not doing that.

No I mean how does one find punishment rewarding ? Thats a paradox… its like me saying I find hunger very filling…

Like I said… you can micromanage them to increases your chances of beating them…

The 1% when they do kill you isn’t your fault because unlike Ninja Gaiden the mechanics aren’t suited for mob battles.

LoL… I’m pretty sure I’ve been doing nothing but acknowledging how desperately the game needs to kill me… I keep repeating how obvious that it.

And how would I recognize when its my turn ? Like I said… they can layer their attacks cover each other’s recovery… identifying the moment when its my turn isn’t obvious… I’l do what I can to try and live but really its not up to me… its all luck…

I’ve reached a point in the game where this no longer works because the Yokai don’t stagger like the human enemies do… think of it as the Silver Knight sections in Dark Souls… the whole point of this setup is to put you on a narrow platform so that the enemies can push you off the ledge but you can’t do the same to them… like I said… putting the player in situations beyond the scope of their character’s mechanics key to these game’s so called “Challenges”…

This works up to a point… I’ve actually encountered several situations in Sub missions where the game cuts off the path behind to stop you from doing this…in the Harbour section specifically wide open areas are few and far between… when I got murdered by that Yokai on the rooftop there was no where to retreat to… you’re familar with the expression Getting caught between a rock and a hard place yes ? And in Nioh theres not Havel’s Great Shield to make this tactic work.

Thats a great idea… oh shoot… I spent all my skill points on crap I needed to stop killing me in other situations…

If these skills are so important then they should give you all the necessary one’s that stop you from Dying by default… or at the very least have those skills at the beginning of the skill tree… not a the end… also I’m prettty sure a lot of the skills don’t work on the larger Yokai…

This aint God of War… infact the living weapon system is actually a practical joke just like Bloodborne’s Regain system…on the surface it seems like the devs are trying to give you a helping hand but trying to attack back after taking hit is the fastest way to get killed in bloodborne… really what you’re suppose to be doing is stabbing yourself with blood vials… take the damage and move on… trying to get it back is a trap. Living weapon is weirder… It does make you invincible for a while but getting hit depletes a large chunk of the life gauge and the damage out put you get from trying to trade blows with tougher enemies (which is where most players intend to use that mechanic) will never be in your favour… living weapon is at its best if you use as if you don’t have it on… essential making it pointless… if you’re already good at avoiding getting hit then you don’t actually need it to begin with… its just a flashy bonus. Also there seems to be this lengthy recovery period where when Living Weapon turns off then you can move or do anything for almost 3 whole seconds. I’ve died a few times because of this.

Is it ? People said the same thing about Dark Souls… saying how the game is teaching you to be patient when in reality its not teaching anything and the patience is only setting you up to get killed in situations where going ham would work significantly better.

Also how exactly is the game going to teach you anything if its constantly trying to trick you ? Remember my Bozu example ? The devs attempt to try and teach me something didn’t work because they spent the last 6 Hours proving that they should not be trusted.

Thats The Game…

Whether I like it or not or if its my type of game has no bearing on wether if its actually properly designed. I don’t like the Sims either but I found few issues with its design… the bottom line is it works… me not liking it doesn’t make it work any less…

Its the same thing with The Souls games… if you like it then thats cool and if i don’t like it then thats also cool but its design is still problematic.

In my experience when people say “Maybe its not your type of game” in response to the game’s critism what they’re at actually saying is “I like it and I don’t want to argue.”

And thats cool… just say so and be done with it… you don’t have to prove why you like it to anyone… the least of all to me.

I honestly wouldn’t like Dark Souls or Nioh even if they did fix all the stuff I was ■■■■■■■■ about… the game’s mechanics simpy aren’t robust enough so getting rid of all the cheap deaths would just make it boring… I tested this by cheating in Dark Souls… taking a fair amount of damage instead of getting instantly mudered really highlights how unimaginative the game play actually is outside of all the RPG Elements.

Edit:

Don’t worry about what I subject myself to… thats my problem… the point is traps are a lazy way build a game around… by definition the more hidden and unfair a trap is the better that trap is… if you were making trap for someone it would be pretty stupid if you left any traces or clues that hint at any sort of danger… and yet if you were to encounter such a trap in a game you would say thats a bad trap… the trap would be better if it was slightly worse…

But then ultimately whats the point of this whole song and dance ?

If you see the trap then you can avoid it… if you don’t then not only do you die but you’re also robbed of your opportunity at a second chance to figure it out…

I imagine if your playing a puzzle game… and if you take too long or make one false move then the game gives you the solution and then kills you ? This is why using actual traps is bad even if the game in question is built around the idea in the first place… if you want to see good Traps then play Tomb Raider or Batman… in those games that traps are just puzzles in disguise… some of them aren’t even dangerous… they look dangerous but they’re purpose was never to try and murder you… any developer that gets into this way of thinking is already heading in the wrong direction.

If you’re crossing the street and an electric car came and hit you out of no where… did you struggle ?

This is the problem with gauging a game’s difficulty by quantity of deaths instead of quality of effort (lol I don’t even know if thats a real thing)… its a poor representation of how difficult a game is…

Don’t get me wrong… I was frustrated for sure ! But Difficulty and Frustration are two entirely different concepts… I get your confusion because actuall challenges can be frustrating in their own right so many gamers often confused the two…

But Nioh is not frustrating because its difficult its frustrating because its cheap…

LoL… theres actually a very easy way to tell which type of frustration is which… simply ask yourself… Did I die because I wasn’t good enough or did I die because my character wasn’t good enough ? For 90% of all RPGs and any game using RPG Elements its usually the latter… this is why Fighting Role Playing Games (FRPG) aren’t a thing.

I also died a crap ton of Times in Furi but I never died because I lost over 50% of my health in a Single Hit… Furi actually is challenging so it doesn’t need cheap tricks to kill you… and the character you play as definitely capable, hIs dodge is Responsive invulnerable for the correct number of frames and covers a large enough distance… no attack in the game covers such a wide area for so long that it exceeds the player’s characters dodging mechanics no other move is better at dodging attacks than the dodge mechanic itself…

I could go on and on if you like… the same level of consideration was given to the projectiles, parrying and melee… if you still don’t get why Nioh is cheap and Furi isn’t then just say the word… I’l break all of these mechanics down for you and show you Furi succeeds where Nioh & Dark Souls fail.

PvP and PvE aren’t really comparable… what would be fair in a fight between two players would be cheap in a fight against the AI… This is why I don’t ■■■■■ about the bosses and Yokai not having a stamina bar like the humans… they would be subject to some serious exploitation if they had to suffer the same limitations you did because they can’t think like people do… they would need to cheat by reading your inputs if you imposed the same limits on them just like fighting game AI’s do on the hardest difficulty.

What are Whomps ? I literally haven’t played any Mario game other than the OG Super Mario Brothers way back when I was 5… And even then… I never finished it… LoL… it was too difficult. :laughing:

Yeah and thats a design flaw that has plagued the FPS Genre for entirely way too long… thats why they have to use regenerating health… abd thats why DOOM is the greatest FPS of All time.

Actually no it isn’t… theres way too much violence and gore… it needs a Splatoon aesthetic to achieve ultimate perfection.

There’s no choice here… you’re suppose evade the bosses attacks and sprinting is better than dodging… quite frankly I’m not entirely sure what the dedicated purpose of sprinting actually is… yeah you use it move through levels quickly but I always want do that anyway. It would be better if sprinting was your default movement speed and you can use the force feedback of the controller to move slower in the few instances where its actually necessary.

Me too… I don’t think I’ve ever had a tank build in any game I’ve played… if the dodging works properly then I’l forego armor all together…

BTW here’s another thing I know you’l find silly… Armor, just like traps, is bad game design… I’ve got all whole explanation for why that is… but I don’t want go off on a tangent again unless you want me too. There is an exception though… President Evil 5 is a good example of armor done right.

Indeed it is … because the first thing most gamers do when they want to avoid getting hit is to completely skip over their dedicated evasion tool in favour of Sprinting. :smiley: !!! Especially after hours of reinforcenent making them rely on that tool !!!

Is that even possible ? I didn’t level up my health with the intention of deliberately taking damage… I did it so that I wouldn’t have to start back at the shrine every time an enemy or boss hits me with some attack I’ve never seen before I’ve learned to avoid getting hit by it…

This is why the developer’s shouldn’t be pawning off the responsibility of balancing the game on the player… they’re not going to get it right.

If your having trouble on the Jelly blob area and boss… you are in for a monumental rage quitting fit when you get to the Ghost mansion and tot eh Toad ninja. Good luck!!!
Oh and the snow area and the snow butterfly Queen… good luck!

Ninja Gaiden had some pretty cheap bosses didn’t it… overall I hear it was a great game save one or two bosses that really ■■■■■■ people off… man I wish I could play those games…

Back to Nioh… now I have too see those Bosses for myself.

You can play Ninja Gaiden black right now on Xbox game pass or backwards compatibility. I tried it out a month ago. It doesnt feel very great this many years later but I remember on OG Xbox it was great and super hard.
Toad Ninja is a great fight…not too hard but getting to him can be really tough. That’s the area where I had to take a break from Nioh for a month or so.

1 Like

Goodness you complain a lot :confused:

For a guy who doesn’t understand how punishment (challenge is probably the more precise word here, though there are whole industries geared towards those who truly do enjoy ‘punishment’) can be engaging and rewarding, you seem to typify it. You seem to hate DS-style games at a core level, but yet you seem to have played them all?

I was going to type out responses to many of your points, but honestly it’s not remotely worth the effort. You seem to be miserable playing Nioh, but due to some vague sense of obligation you’d rather persist in enduring misery in your free time then go off and do something you’d actually enjoy. There’s not really any form of productive discussion to be had with that, so I think I’m done here. -shrug-

If you must continue enduring Nioh, two thoughts:

1. If you’re running a light armor build stamina is full-stop useless. Respec and give yourself some points in things you’ll actually use.
  2. Yokai stagger as well. Just need to choose weapon/stance and/or element best suited to the job.
  3. (EDIT) Use summoners candles when you have a lot of Amrita and die. If you have enough to level up, it’s often smarter to just use a candle to retrieve your spirit, level up right then and there, and then go back out fighting/exploring.

Best of luck on your making it through the game :+1:t5:

1 Like

I sold my Xbox… in my country that console is a liability…

Well yes… what do you do when you’re bad mood ? Suffer In silence ?

Typify ?

And if you really meant to say Challenge instead of punish then yeah i agree… its very enjoyable… I just don’t find Nioh challenging… well… it does challenge my patience but as far as actual game play skills I can’t help but feel like I’m being held back by Angie and his lameness.

Well… you tried… I guess…

What do you mean ?

It happens randomly… I have no control of it… mid and low stance don’t do enough Ki damage so they die before they get staggered.

What ? You can do that ? LoL… and the game never tells you this ?

Thanks… don’t need it though…

So I had the pleasure of meeting Sister Friede’s long lost sister, Yuki Onna.

One question… how do you avoid getting caught by those Icy Projectiles of hers ?

The only thing stamina affects (outside the odd health upgrade, which again, all stats can grant) is your ability to wear heavier armors without them borking your agility. If you’re running a light armor build anyway, then that benefit is obviously moot. You’ve been dumping your upgrades into a stat that gives you no practical benefit whatsoever.

This is what I mean when I say I don’t think you’re actually paying attention to the game you’re playing. Destroying ogre horns staggers them, so use high stance or better place your mid strike to clip them. The crazy monk guys stagger themselves when they do their charge attack and hit a wall, umi-bozu stagger when exposed to fire damage, one-eyed oni stagger when you break their horn or shoot their eye, flame wheels stagger when you shoot the glowing circle on their back, etc. Using the kicks at the end of weapon combos also deals a high amount of ki damage, so you’ve often got a go-to attack to completely empty their bar if it’s gotten a bit low.

There are plenty of ways to control yokai staggers; it simply requires you to pay attention and actually go for them.

I’ve actually never played Dark Souls or any of the Souls-styled games - Nioh is my first. And yet somehow even I know that part of the point of those games is that they don’t make an effort to tell you what to do and/or how to do it. The whole point is that the player is supposed to figure it out, which is why it behooves the player to actually read the descriptions of the things they pick up. Nioh truthfully has too many items, but yes, the one called “Summoner’s Candle” auto-recalls your death spirit to you so that you don’t have to go fetch it.

I used that dodge you maligned so much.

1 Like

But all stats give no practical benefits… thats why they’re called Stats… all the benefits are passive…

LoL… you do realise the only thing I can Aim in this game are the ranged weapons right ? I can’t make Angie Swing his sword higher.

You mean those huge ■■■■■■■■ with the long tongues ?

Yeah I’ve seen them crash into walls a bunch of times… sometimes it empties their KI and sometimes it doesn’t. One time they’re Ki got empty despite not hitting a wall… must be a bug…

I’ve seen no such thing happen… infact Umi-Bozu is one of those Bosses who’s Stamina Bar remains fixed… all the fire did was increase my damage output.

They have Horns ? :thinking: I never bothered shooting them in the Eye because they don’t remain vulnerable long enough to get any significant amount of Damage… If they belly flop then yeah sure I’l stab them in the face… but really I could take it or leave it…

They also have no body langauge… when I trie to circle behind them they immediately roll into me without warning… so long as they come alone then I’l just attack them after they breath fire… its actually a loop… Walk Forward to bait the fire breath then walk back to avoid the attack and walk forward to punish… rinse repeat… I actually died once because I got bored and stopped paying attention so I sort of zoned out and kept attacking…

I have this for the Spear and Sword… it works on humans… it has an effect on the small skeletons and the medium sized Yokai but beyond that the other enemies have way too much Ki so I just use it if I want to tack on more damage at the end of my Normal Attack String… which is only really possibly if they’re already staggered. I think this is yet another one of those things thats random… you need to have the correct weapon with the correct special effect for it to work… merely doing the kick does nothing most of the Time.

Staggers are usefull… so whenever I get one that has nothing to do with Ki I always think: "What did I do and can I do it again ? " I pay attention… but if you want me to spot a tiny change on a tiny part of a character’s model then I’m sorry but both you and Team Ninja expect way too much from the player.

And thats a good thing ?

Fair Point… that being said… because theres a finite amount of them…I’m not going to use them… pretty much for the same reasoning I’m not going to respec.

You’re familar with Hording right ?

“You should never have an item thats so good that you’l always want to use it but so rare they that you’l never want to risk using it and not have it when you really need it.” - Josh Bycer

Infact I never use any of the items in my inventory simply because I have no steady way of aquiring any of them… I even stopped using Ranged Weapons because I ran out ammo when I needed it for this one annoying fight. This is an easily fixable issue… simply give the player a fixed amount of amount at each Shrine… alot of the game’s problems can be fixed that way… but they couldn’t be bothered.

You wouldn’t understand unless you’ve also been completely screwed over by a game in a situation where an Item is useful but you simply didn’t have it…

BTW… I lost 30 000 Souls to Yuki Onna…

As useful as this is… what makes the game cheap is how these deaths happen… And even if they weren’t cheap… they are still extremely problematic because this is an RPG… what do you think is going to happen as the enemies keep leveling up but the player doesn’t ?

So did I… the standard one she uses has three shots… she fires them one after the other instead of all at same the time and each of them Track Indiviually… After dying a few times to learn the timing (They can’t be dodge on reaction… you have to know the exact interval from the beginning of the animation to the point of release, in other words, a guaranteed death) I learned that none of the Dodges from all three Stances are practical at avoiding that move… if the first one hits you… you die… if you dodge the first then its a crap shoot on whether you can dodge the 3rd one which does 50% Damage. And unlike Hino-Enma I can’t just run around them or hit her while she summons them to stagger her.

Shes actually a pretty easy Boss mostly because she has the most predictable patten I’ve seen so far to the point I actually got bored whenever I got close to killing her. BTW she can’t be parried… this is bad game design.

I beat Yuki-Onna without dying once (the only boss for which I’ve managed that actually), and she shot plenty of ice daggers plenty of times. I dodged them (on reaction! :open_mouth:), so I guess they…are actually avoidable?

As to the other stuff, I’m forced to think you’re just being willfully obtuse at this point. Feel free to keep complaining about stuff that’s totally your own fault though :+1:t5:

2 Likes

You can buy more ammo from “My -to- deeee!!!” patch girl.

Maybe its my controller then…

Besides you probably had more health than me… so you didn’t have to die to learn her moves like I did.

You’re the one who’s being obtuse… I explain in detail whats wrong… you say short phrases devoid of any actual information… Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Its good to vent one’s frsustrations every now and then…

As for my faults… I have none… you’ve had numerous opportunities to prove it and could bare pull it off once…

I hate to break it you (I actually don’t… its just a Figure Of Speech) but you and other Souls fans have a drastically warped defintion of Fair…

Here’s an excerise you can try to determine if anything you say actually makes sense… find someone outside the the group of your like minded individuals preferably someone who doesn’t play video games at all and explain it to them… if they agree… then it makes sense… if not… then reassess.

In Nioh you don’t even have to bother… just show them a clip of a player getting one shotted and you’l get answer…

I’ve given you extremely specific advice on how to deal with certain things and/or better optimize your play. You then list a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do with the actual efficacy of what I’m suggesting, instead decrying “bad game design!” for something with a clear answer.

You complain that it’s impossible to deal with multiple enemies:
“Here are 4 ways to deal with multiple enemies.”
“It’s all random! I can’t be expected to not get creamed in Living Weapon, position myself advantageously, or watch to see when a real opening to attack presents itself. BAD GAME DESIGN!”

You complain about having to fetch your death spirit and losing all your Amrita:
“There’s an item you can use to not have to do that when your Amrita is high enough for an upgrade.”
“That item is too valuable to ever ever use even though it does exactly what I need - BAD GAME DESIGN”

You complain about not having enough health or getting enough damage:
“Respec and put your stats into something that you can use - stamina is worthless and provides no practical benefit for your particular build.”
“Respec items are too valuable to ever ever use even though I’ve dumped a bunch of points into something worthless for my needs. [insert incorrect quibbling over the definition of practical versus passive] - BAD GAME DESIGN!”

You complain about not being able to stagger yokai:
“You can stagger X yokai with Y technique. Choose the proper stance and weapon for the task.”
*“You can’t aim your sword strikes [yes, you can - that’s half the point of the stances]. I have no ammo [because I waste my ammo and don’t read to know that I can buy ammo]. BAD GAME DESIGN!”

You complain that Yuki-Onna daggers are unreactable:
“I reacted to them.”
"[Insert long description of exact patterns that you couldn’t react to or dodge, doing nothing to change the fact that others were indeed able to react and dodge the same things]. I need more invul frames on my dodge. BAD GAME DESIGN!

It’s not my fault you’d rather whine than take advice, and it’s not the game’s fault that you willfully choose to ignore its many systems around dealing with its particular brand of difficulty. That’s entirely on you. But by all means continue complaining about everything to the two people in this thread…surely that’s productive and fun, right?

2 Likes

Again… you have a warped definition of fair… all my critisms are going to seem invalid to you because you see everything through that one single lense.

Its impractical… not impossible. If I did say it was impossible earlier then I do apologise because I tend not to split hairs over the difference between impossible and impractical they’re both bad things either way…

Duh !!!

Even if the game was fair this would still be annoying… and pointless.

Yep…

Oh but wait… heres something I know is going to rustle your Jimmies… I HAVE A BOOK OF REINCARNATION… LoL… its just sitting there in my inventory and I can use it with out suffering the price bump penalty with Tome… and you know what… I STILL NOT GOING TO USE IT… heres why…

I told you I restarted the game over and went for a Endurance Build instead so I could have more health… and it worked… for like two missions… not even half way through the game and I start dying in obe hit again…

Look I’m not saying that I’m not saying Respeccing won’t work… but then again I’m not saying it will work either… I’m saying that trust has been violated so I’m not going to bother anymore…

BAD GAME DESIGN !!!

Again… if that’s what I actually said then I do sincerely apologise… the problem with the Yokai staggering is that its random… I went back and killed some Yokai and saw their horns come off… but even when I intentionally try to hit it its still a crap shoot whether I’l actually get the horn or not… its higher than Angie can swing his sword… real top shelf stuff.

You don’t need stances… there are two attacks that cause The Yokai’s head to come within reach… again… I hit him right on the Nogan… still no stagger…

I don’t have any footage of that but I do have footage of The Same thing happening with Nue’s Belly.

They’re not… look if you can react to them then I want to personally congradulate you… I acknowledge your mad skills… unfortunately while your prowess at reacting to attacks makes you a talented player… it also disqualifies from determining if the speed of that attack is fair because you’re just not on the same level as the rest of us Filthy Peasant Scrubs. I have an idea… Take a couple shots of Tequila and try again… no I’m not joking or trolling you… I’m dead serious. -_-

Again… its not difficult… and you’re advice got me killed…

LoL… even the game itself specifically says you should avoid fighting multiple enemies during one of the loading screen texts. Pretty much confirms that mob fights are unfair… lol… and you say I don’t pay attention… hmmmmph (okay that time I was trolling…)

Are you genuinely asking ?

Not at all. The question was sarcastic and rhetorical.

1 Like