Nintendo Switch Live Stream Starts Today

I was curious about that myself. I hope so, but it might have been one of the other F-zero clones, such as Wipeout, or…I don’t know what the name of the indie game for Wii U they were promoting a year or so ago.

2 Likes

I wasn’t impressed at all. I found the conference itself to be very cringe-worthy and gimmicky.

My wife’s initial reaction (who isn’t a gamer) is “Why are the graphics so bad?”

Looks like I’ll be passing up on Nintendo again.

I was expecting the price to be 300$ not suprised there. But now they want to charge for an online service? …Consoles man.

That Mario game is hype. It reminds me of Sonic Adventure where there were humans and sonic and his friends would look so off putting next to them it was funny.

Zelda is Zelda but I will definitely be getting it on the WiiU if it launches the same day as the Switch.

Other than that I’m a bit disappointed. I do think it will sell better than the Wii U but I don’t know, I was a bit underwhelmed from the stream. I might hold off on the Switch for a while.

What did y’all think?

If I were rating that on a scale of 1-10, I’d give that presentation a 6.25. Some good stuff, but not impressed with the overall package.

Pros:

-Super Mario Odyssey looks like all sorts of fun.
-Zelda still looks gorgeous. Love that its Day 1.
-Xenoblade 2 looked nice; like a game I’d want to play.
-$300 a nice, competitive price point. Any more would’ve been too much.
-Can’t believe it’s coming so soon!

Cons:

-Arms was a long presentation for a game I had zero interest in.
-Did we really need someone from EA to get up and talk about the fact that FIFA was coming?
-Eh, Splatoon 2, having bad Wii-U flashbacks. It’s cool if you’re interested, I’m personally not.
-Why on Earth did they bring out Suda 51 to just ramble about a character and show a picture?
-Same goes for Sega. If you’re trying to sell a system, bring games, not a few awkward sentences.
-A Skyrim presentation aka a re-release of a 360/PS3 game that’s already out on XB1/PS4? Really?
-Was that Mario Kart stuff I saw in snippets just Mario Kart 8? Why even…
-Where are Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero and just about every other big N franchise?
-Having switch events in a whopping six cities, but get there early AKA stand in line for hours.
-3rd party support still seems tepid.
-Motion controls are back? Seriously, WHY.

I’m really hoping they have a lot more to show tomorrow with waaaaaaay more release dates. I mean they have to, right? So far, only two confirmed games at launch. That obviously won’t be right. I’m sure tomorrow will have much more stuff. This was probably just the big tease before that to show the details and also whet the appetite.

So yeah, excluding the Friday stream we haven’t seen yet, I’d say that this was a rather mediocre reveal. The whole thing gave me a Wii-U vibe. Touting support from 3rd parties that still looks lukewarm, leaning on Mario and Zelda while nothing else really wows. The whole thing, I hate to say, really kinda looked like amateur hour. I think they were trying to go for quirky. Not sure they hit the right notes there.

I’ll definitely wait until tomorrow for final judgment on what they’re doing here.

1 Like

The tech was really sweet. If rumors are true, its using nvidia pascal which is quite strong. Visuals may take off by 2ND generation of games.

Now the games really need to get exposed alot more and let us know what to expect. If there has been a weakness from Nintendo in recent history is the lack of games and 3rd party. 80 games in development is nice, but what are they? I did see a Disgaea game, I love that series tons. However I want to know more of its library.

If Nintendo releases a core pokemon game, it’s gonna destroy whether we like it or not. If 3rd party bring back classic Ips we haven’t seen in ages, as well as new ones it’s gonna do well.

The potential for success is there imo, graphics may not compare to the scorpio or next Playstation but that doesn’t mean Jack’■■■■ if the games are fun as hell and run clean. We can have a gorgeous looking game (like The Order…) but if it’s not fun then it’s trash. All Nintendo needs to slay…is ■■■■■■■ games. Good games. They get them, they’re in business

1 Like

I liked pretty much everything of what they actually had to show (besides that gimmicky 1-2-Switch game), but they left the strength of the launch lineup under heavy doubt and spent too much time making certain developers lip-service their support without actually showing anything. Are Zelda, a few enhanced ports, and some hardware demo-y titles going to keep people engaged with the system for long enough?

Still a more promising-looking effort than Nintendo’s last few systems. And much more developer-friendly since it fully supports standard controls.

I think It’s Fast Racing Neo. Maybe an enhanced version?

It’s an enhanced version of Mario Kart 8. Revamped battle mode and (since the leaks seem like they turned out to be real from the footage) 10 new characters, 24 new tracks, new item system, etc.

Totally agree here. I couldn’t care less if other consoles have better graphics. Zelda and Mario both look fun as hell. As much as I saw on the downside of that conference, graphics weren’t even remotely a consideration for me.

I agree that there’s plenty of potential, but what I saw didn’t convince me. Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade, a big 3rd party game coming over, EA support out of the gate, a list of 3rd party supporters, a cool tablet… All the strongest beats for this conference gave me Wii-U vibes. Only difference is that the big 3rd party get before was Arkham and now it’s Skyrim.

Really hope Nintendo has a lot more up their sleeve tomorrow. More games, more release dates, more launch titles, more surprises, etc. I want a reason to believe in this system. I’m hopeful and eager to to be impressed. Just not there yet.

^ Since the hardware is portable, a trade-off with system horsepower is inevitable for a variety of reasons. I’m not really bothered by it as long as the games are good, look acceptable and run well, and I can take them on the go.

It’s gonna take some time to convince me no matter how strong their initial showing is. The Wii U presented itself like it had healthy support at first, but that dried up quick.

1 Like

Yeah, what will really win me over at this point are solid and fun games. Everything they need to have them is there. If Sega busts out some awesome classics, streets of rage, altered beast, Panzer dragoon, nights…it’s over man. I’ll buy that ■■■■ day ■■■■■■■ 1 If any of those games are announced. I was disappointed Sega didn’t even HINT at what was coming. That was a huge missed oppurtunity

EXACTLY. I’m not trying to be negative, really. I want to jump on board, but what I saw, and after my experience owning a Wii-U and watching it go down in flames… I saw nothing that made me think “okay this time around will be different.”

I’m still trying to figure out why Sega and MS haven’t partnered up again. Back on the OG Xbox, we had Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT, Gunvalkyrie, Toejam & Earl 3, Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future, House of the dead 3, Shenmue 2 and probably some others as well.

I mean, why not go back to them and say "hey, we’ve got shooters and racing sims, but maybe you could help us in other genres…

New iterations of Nights, Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Shining Force, Virtua Fighter, Eternal Champions, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Altered Beast, Sega Rally, Alex Kidd, Samba de Amigo, Allstars Racing plus all the stuff listed above…

To me, that seems like a win / win. But yeah, if Sega puts new iterations of some of these titles on Switch, I might just have to give it a shot.

1 Like

I noticed on Nintendo’s youtube channel they had a trailer for Sonic Mania. :confused:

At this point, I think the only thing that can do that is a continuous effort from Nintendo bringing an abundance of games to its system over the long-term.

Pretty sure they also showed footage of that new 3D Sonic game.

1 Like

I bought a Wii U on January 2016 for $299…lol what a slap in the face to all wii u owners, specially the ones that bought it specifically for Zelda. Oh well. I’ll buy breath of the wild for Wii U and wait on the switch.

a few screen captures I got:

3d sonic game

F-zero-like racer (probably fast racing neo)

Mario Kart 8 with an actual balloon battle mode?? SCORE!!!

Looks like Bomberman’s coming back. Perhaps Konami decided to play nice with Nintendo?

…Anyway, it looks good to me :slight_smile:

Edit, just found this on youtube:

I think it’s significant because A: Bomberman’s back!! B: Hudson got bought by Konami and IIRC all of their IPs after the buy-out have been dead since. C: Konami’s apparently making games again? Or is it that since this is a “mobile” platform it counts towards their “we only do mobile & pachinko now” business? either way props to Nintendo for pulling Konami’s head out of its butt.

2 Likes

I want that new mario kart 8 deluxe edition. Its funny because mario kart 8 is the reason I got the Wii u lol

Those who missed the stream can watch it here:

the “F-Zero” game you’re talking about is really Fast Racing: RMX http://fast.shinen.com/rmx/

I missed the stream and I haven’t even read any coverage beyond what I am reading here, so I will need to get more informed. But I have to say I am not seeing anything that impresses me here.

First of all, I know the mantra is that this thing is a “portable” but it sure as hell doesn’t look portable to me. It’s giant compared to even a 3DS XL and that thing is already a pocket buster. So by “portable” they mean “easy to take to your friends house in a dedicated bag you use to haul around all your Switch gear.” I look at this and I see a giant pile of controller parts and accessories.

Cost/game. I know I sometimes confuse people with my peculiar take on economics so feel free to skip this part. A $300 console is expensive. If you are using it as your primary gaming device and play tons of multi-platform games on it, then the cost of owning the console on a “per game” basis goes way down. I have literally hundreds of games on my Xbox One. So the cost of the console itself (which I paid $500 for) spread out across the games is like $2/game. If I look at WiiU, which I got for $350, I don’t think I have 20 games for that. So that’s about $17/game to own the console. So far Switch looks like a system that will have 10 games I want… so now we are talkin $30/game. Yeah, Mario games are awesome. $80 a piece awesome? Eh… probably not. Add in living room space, general ecosystem hassle etc. and I’m not dying to add yet another console to my life. And Switch isn’t making a great sales pitch to me.

Switch offers me zero non-gaming utility. Once upon a time I bought a PS3. I knew it wasn’t going to be my primary gaming platform, but it was about the same price as any other Blu Ray player on the market so why not at least get one that plays games? Switch does nothing like that. I already have at least three Netflix capable devices hooked to each tv.

1 Like

The console has a very smart design , but Zelda was literally the only game that appealed to me.
I’ll probably just stick with my Wii U/3DS for now.

1 Like