New Combo traits (what could be done?)

Which makes me remember Maxis awesome stance switches from Soul Calibur 4/5

1 Like

because combo traits always do with the combo itself - ADs, manuals, linkers, counters, etc. You’re talking about something outside of the combo system. What you describe would more likely be a character trait (like Aganos’ walls, for example) or perhaps a property of instinct.

I think it’s all dependent on who the characters are.

For example, if they decide to go with a rough, MMA fighter type, sort of a modern foil for TJ perhaps. I’d say:

Transition Combos: In addition to normal standing autos, linkers and enders, this character has a few different ways to shoot in on an opponent and take them to the ground.

From there, they have different autos, a unique ground to standing linker and a downed linker that keeps the opponent downed, plus a downed joint lock ender and Judo throw ender that are all unique to this downed position.

It’s called transition combos because you can either start a combo on the ground with a shoot in move and transition to standing using a linker (after an auto) or start standing and transition to downed
 You could do this multiple times depending on how long you can extend the combo and opt to use either downed or standing enders as well.

Did I explain that well at all? I feel like the image in my mind is a lot cooler than what I just described. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Air Auto Doubles. That’s all I gotta say.

4 Likes

I kinda like this idea. When you say downed, is it like he’s on top of the opponent or how is it?

You wanna make this game more Mahvel?! Just kidding man.

Air autos would be pretty dope, but I wonder if it would cause some weird bugs.

1 Like

Yeah that’s exactly the idea. Like the character shot in on the opponent, took them to the ground and is then on top of them, striking with quick knees, forearm strikes, fists to the face and sides, etc, maybe headbutts

These strikes would be unique autos for when you have the opponent on the ground (which can obviously be broken), but you’d also have a linker that can bring the opponent to their feet to continue the combo from a normal stance or a linker to keep them on the ground, or if you’re standing already in mid-combo, a linker to take them to the ground. Plus normal standing enders and ground enders.

I think KI’s system would be perfect for this type of fighter because it’d look like a grappling string when really it’s just a regular combo that takes place on the ground, the unique part is just in the different autos, linkers and enders available in the ground and the ability to transition seamlessly mid-combo between one or the other as much as the KV meter allows.

1 Like

I really think Sadira could use this.

1 Like

How about a character that could shift his auto double strengths to different buttons. For examples pressing a light button gives you the heavy double animation but it still has to be broken as a light. Mediums would play the light double animation but would have to be broken as a medium, and heavies would play the medium double animation but would have to broken as a heavy. To balance it just have a sort of effect playing over the character to signify that he has activated his trait so that people know the animations have been swapped. Also he wouldn’t be able to manual while it’s active and his doubles would be slower than the rest of the cast like pre-buff TJ.

1 Like

No im not

Im saying the 3rd hit of a auto / manual like spinals could be a vampire bite fore instinct energy rather than skulls.

Silly boy

:blush::blush:

Well, that would strictly be better than Jago’s “around the world” trait that gives him instinct because it would be easier to do. It would also be better than Spinal’s spectral manuals that give Spinal his skullls (which can then be used with shadow meter to steal instinct). It would also mean the character would have access to instinct before anyone else and can likely use it more often as a result (maybe even up to 3x per match) - in that particular case, it makes me wonder what the character’s instinct would be

So, IMO, I think it would be unbalanced. I also think it would be uncharacteristic of a vampire, as most vampires that I know of are cunning and intelligent, and not necessarily driven by primal instincts, like say, Sabrewulf.

Maxi is actually my character in those games! Good Idea! That would make Kim fun to play, should they implement them. With Maxi too, that stance switch could link into any move, correct? So it was smooth, seamless fighting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely! I was thinking stance switch for Kim Wu as well. They’ve already shown her staff weapon, what if that could change in to nunchucks?

I seem to be on a “different set of autos/linkers/enders” kick with my MMA fighter idea, but changing between staff and nunchucks and having different looking autos, perhaps a unique linker for each stance plus a linker that either recombined the nunchucks in to a staff again or splits the staff in to nunchucks mid-combo plus a unique ender for each stance would be cool as well.

I’d go as far as to split her special moves along these lines as well. Maybe her fire flower or projectile is available in both, but she has three specials in staff stance and three in nunchuck stance.

But yeah, her actual combo trait would be the ability to switch stances mid-combo and each stance has unique autos, linkers and enders.

Never thought of that- a white fighter who trained with combo in his championship days!

A niceMMA SKIN

I love the move that looks like he sits down while whirling the nunchucks around then gets up and BAM! slap down

Well, I don’t really have an opinion on the race either way, but I could see a tatted up dude with a Conor McGregor vibe. Perhaps a bit more psychotic and menacing.

That could be really cool!

1 Like

via Imgflip GIF Maker

This one was always my favorite.

2 Likes

How about off the ground combos like mahvel 3

What’s not intelegent about having x3 instinct?

Thats the most intelegent thing ive heard lol. specially if your instinct is blood lust the omega form of vampire think ugly and winged and power.

Maybe a combo breaker would end potential instinct a steel?

Maybe we would have out first chraticter to DEPEND on instinct (a bit like jean grey datk phoenix in umvc)

Its still a combo trait even if you dont like it lol x

Well, I looked into it by going into the lab and looking up certain character’s combo traits. To my surprise, they’re no longer called “combo traits” and as far as I can tell, haven’t been since S1 and Double Helix. Now, if you go into any character’s command list, they’re actually called “combat traits” and they’re all-encompassing by including virtually everything unique about the character (combo or otherwise) that’s not a command normal, special, opener, linker, shadow move, ender, or ultra. So, based upon that, yes, your instinct idea would fall under that “new” category.