*Hydro Thunder,
*N.A.R.C,
*Gauntlet,
*Rampage,
*Wizards of War,
*Xybots,
*Xenophobe,
*Smash TV,
*The Grid…(Seeing Battle Royals are still popular, youd think WB would’ve considered bringing that one back, or at least a remaster for actual consoles seeing it was arcade exclusive.) etc, etc…

I mean theres a plethera of old Midway titles that more deserving of a proper return in todays time. Really wouldn’t mind if they allowed NRS to take a crack at something like one of those instead of the…

" MK- Injustice- MK - Injustice- MK, repeat" cycle were in right now.

Now make no mistake, I love both those series as much as the next guy, but a break from I2 and MK11 wouldn’t hurt as long as we got something just as special to fill the void.

Hell at this rate, Id even be in favor for a reboot of WarGods lol.

1 Like

Some of those series wouldn’t really be in NRS’s wheelhouse though. Midway was a huge company with a tonne of teams. NRS is a much smaller set of them that make a much smaller set of games. A lot of those IPs (which I actually really want to see come back) should probably be outsourced to be made the most of.

Fair point, I suppose in terms of the games that arent fighting related perhaps, (Maybe Dark Age and Primal Rage would be more in NRS’s skillset.) But then again it shouldn’t be too uncommon for some of the same devs to work on non fighting games, surley. I belive even the original MK team had a hand in working on NBA Jam IIRC.
(Could be wrong, maybe it was just for the Scorpion and SubZero cameos.)

But my overall point being Id just like to see something that isnt the same two games ad nauseam.

Idk, the retocade stage in MK11 really got me thinking latley…

4 Likes

Yeah. NRS could do wonders with most of those old fighting IPs. But game dev teams are way more specialized these days that I worry about their abilities to make something in another genre.

I suppose thats partily the reason why we never got a Shaolin Monks 2/MK Fire and Ice. Not much room for experimenting like there was in the PS2 days.

I mean ask Ed Boon about it on the twitters and he’ll gladly express his support behind the idea, but that just isnt what WB has in mind. (Least from an outsiders perspective, it feels.)

2 Likes

They really should be more comfortable with allowing other studios to make games with IPs. We might have those titles by now if they did.

2 Likes

I would love to see a Primal Rage reboot, though its not likely to happen.

1 Like

I would love to see a Primal Rage reboot, though its not likely to happen.

As true as that statement is, really does make ya wonder, with the height of the recent boom of the Monsterverse (Godzilla and KOTM, even Shin, as well Kong Skull Island.) Really is a missed opportunity for WBGames not to capitlze on the sucess by using their own monster brand. Instead they’re just sitting on the dead IP like it had nothing to offer, which is just wasteful imo.

Aside from that one Rampage movie starring The Rock, it feels as if they dont really appreciate the history of those older titles. Of course unless its the MKs or the Batmans. They’ll remake/reboot everything and anything under the sun, except for franchises that actually would benefit from a proper makeover.

That, and the recent Jurassic movie as well.

the whole batman and Mk stuff is because it draws in the most money.

Still I do hope when we do see characters we could actually get some outfits that would be awesome to see.

It’d be nice if we could give Reptile a set of outfits that could please his fanbase.
I’d like to see this kind of set of costumes. Not exactly like this but something similar.

Personally I like how recent MK Games give us a costume that reflects his origin as a saurian while also maintaining abit of the classic. Though the perfect blend.
Give him scaly skin but dull the colors and give a bright green shade.

and also throw in a classic human skin outfit as well.

So the fanbase doesn’t have to fight. This is one of the moments where you can please everybody.

2 Likes

His Shaolin Monks attire is extremely underrated. To me always felt like a more vicious version of Ermac’s Deception look considering both their heads were wrapped in black gauze.

That, and the recent Jurassic movie as well.

the whole batman and Mk stuff is because it draws in the most money.

Indeed, the money does talk. Also totally forgotten about Jurassic World, so thats another good example.

1 Like

well then give Reptile a mask like his MKX design. Its the best mask he has

Story-wise, I’m actually expecting something new, as NetherRealm has expressed interst in the past of going in a new story direction with the franchise. They had several unused concepts for Mortal Kombat 11 that were really out there.

If they do a continuation off of Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, I hope they go off of Shang’s ending, as it’ll be the one allowing for the most change from what we’ve seen before.

1 Like

I’m expecting a Great Kung Lao prequel game. Mostly because Shang’s ending would really not be something I personally want to see followed up on and I can predict all the changes a mile away. Some characters will work for Shang, some characters will be freedom fighters in the realms he’s already conquered. Chaosrealm and Orderrealm will be haphazardly revisited, and while some characters might be on theoretically interesting sides of the conflict they’re ultimately going to end up where you expect them after rebellions and betrayals and the good guys will win.

God I actually wish Aftermath’s story wasn’t cannon and we were continuing from the ending where Liu Kang AND Kitana were time gods together. That’s the ending I would want to see continued from as the two of them make a new universe.

Both “Aftermath” options are predictable, as Fire God Liu Kang would direct time to flow as much as close to normal as possible so his friends can “live again.” With Shang’s ending, there’s a bit more leeway and it’s also far easier to include fan favourite characters if it isn’t set in the past.

Again though, I expect we’ll be getting something new.

1 Like

I just don’t think Shang’s ending would lead to anything interesting is all. It would all be the exact tropes i’m exhausted of in modern media. At least a GKL game, even if the timeline goes fairly normally, would allow us to see something we haven’t seen before in the story and play around with some characters we might otherwise never have gotten to control.

Or they could just go the Trilogy option like a couple old rumors and just use 11’s engine to make a game with all the characters from 9-11 and next to no significant plot.

I see the opposite happening, where Liu’s ending would lead to the more traditional and trope filled story line over Shang’s.

I hope they don’t go the Trilogy route either.

1 Like

Long as the roster isnt bloated with Special Forces soldiers, cant really go wrong with the Great Kung Lao era game. (Assuming they dont pull a bait and switch like they did with hyping up Dark Raiden in MKX and MK11.)

Wouldn’t really mind for them returning to the mystical/martial arts vibe of the older days.

1 Like

I wasn’t that hyped for Dark Raiden to begin with. We had barely seen him and I was already agreeing with Johnny when he said at the beginning that he was tired of the dark and brooding makeover. Felt super unsatisfying that that version of Raiden was never punished for anything he did, but at least we didn’t have to sit through a story with him.

I mean if they were just going to use classic Raiden instead, then it really makes me question what the point was of having him become Dark Raiden in the first place for both games, Only to be erased after one chapter.

I could understand if it was just a random alt-skin that’s there just for cosmetic, but Dark Raiden is his default primary skin in MK11, and there was definitely some buildup planned for him to be an actual threat in both the story mode and the first reveal trailer, but after the whole “time-merger” portion, it ended up becoming a complete afterthought. Never to be brought up again. To me, it felt like he was robbed of having a proper climax.

“Felt super unsatisfying that that version of Raiden was never punished for anything he did…”

Kinda cementing my point of Dark Raiden never truly getting his comeuppance, which in the end, by replacing him with his past self was very unrewarding.

Yup. MK11 didn’t seem to have that good of a story. I also think D’vorah did not get exact punishment.