Mortal Kombat 11

I don’t know. It definitely accesses the servers even when it’s just giving you rewards from the chests in the krypt. But you may not need a Live subscription for this.

1 Like

So I’ve got the game on Steam, and I heard it isn’t exactly the best in terms of smooth gameplay, but I was curious, has anyone else noticed a ghosting effect during intros/outtros? I was just curious if it is just a PC thing or if other versions do the same.

I have seen it on my Xbox one (original) on a 1080p monitor. I haven’t noticed it on my Xbox One X running on a 4K tv.

1 Like

That may be the issue I’m having then. My PC has 1080p monitors with only a 60Hz refresh rate. I’ve been thinking I should replace my main one with a 4k monitor, but I haven’t seen any at a size or price that I like.

It seems to be something to do with the transition from the detailed models in the story cinematics (and intros) to the slightly less detailed in fight models. I suspect it has something to do with the resolution or upscaling or some such. It disappears be second the fight starts so it hasn’t bugged me much.

Yeah, it only seems to being in those transition times. I doesn’t bother me much, I mean it doesn’t affect gameplay any, but it is just a bit of a nuisance, because once you see it, you see it everywhere. Maybe it’s an issue that will be patched out later.

Does anyone else feel like they can’t pull off their combos online? I spent a good while trying to practice stuff for Liu Kang and I can never pull it off cuz of the connection. I wish the game let you accept and decline people all the time.

I also don’t like how defense is so heavily-based on Flawless Blocking. I don’t think I’ve even pulled one off online yet. I hope it’s not just me.

1 Like

Incase some of you didnt know…you can get the SHao Khan announcer voice by completeing th etutorial and the Kronika announcer voice by linking oyur console game to the mobile game.

3 Likes

I think there may be a frame or two of delay that kicks in automatically online. And the timing for those things is super tight. I can’t even get them offline.

1 Like

here’s every character being subjected to the most humiliating fatality in the game.

Are there a lot of plus strings in the game? I think Cassie had a couple in the tutorial but I’ve been playing Jade so I haven’t personally been seeing much there.

To be fair, I think that still is in the game. I’ve gotten a few non-currency items after online matches.

Was reading through @Iago407’s spoilers now that I’ve seen the whole thing (I really like the story by the way!), and a few of my thoughts.

I think Kronika has zero intention of keeping her promises to most of the characters working for her. For the smaller ones like Jax where she’d shaped a wife and grandchildren for his future sure, he’d probably get those in her perfect world, but Shao Kahn as a greater conqueror or the Black Dragon running everything? Nah. Cetrion would be reborn and be even more elder god-y, but zombie Liu Kang and Kitana would probably wind up with another semi-crappy fate.

She promised Liu and Kitana to remove Raiden from history, but I don’t think her intention was actually to do so. She could have done it countless upon countless times already after all, so why bother now? No, I think Kronika’s whole deal was just that she is this master clockmaker whose clock keeps getting some small bit of sand in its gears, and instead of blowing it out and continuing she gets upset and tries to make a brand new clock that can match the perfection she envisions. Her goal is to build a timeline with the perfect balance of light and dark, and Raiden and Liu Kang will always be a part of that - she just wants them to play the roles she has assigned to them. When she sees that it isn’t going quite according to her perfect plan, she instead begins to manipulate events to have Raiden kill Liu as a preface to her jump-starting the timeline again. She could just not make Liu Kang all, but that messes with her perfect vision for her clock and so she can’t bring herself to do it. Her plan isn’t particularly logical, but since she’s an immortal time goddess she figures she’s got infinite do-overs anyway.

God Liu Kang (whose character design is effing sick by the way!) now has control, if not mastery, over the sands of time. He says he could find her anywhere, so I think he just kind of plucks her future from the maelstrom of possibility and brings her to him. I actually buy it - I think one of the cool things about Liu Kang and Kitana is that they really do have an air of “destined to be together” about them. Whether living or revenant, live action movie or cartoon, she and he always find one another.

And I echo Andy’s appreciation for the Eternal Darkness reference @TallerGorilla95 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would have been cooler if they all had unique quotes.

Liu Kang is a lot of fun! I REALLY need that Fire God Liu Kang Skin though… But I think it’s worth grinding for.

That’s such a cool design for him :smile:

3 Likes

On the most interesting question in the thread right now (to me anyway), I’m generally against review bombing.

I don’t have the apparently visceral distaste for it that Andy does, but I share his dislike of disproportionate responses to issues that constitute minor offenses or may or may not even exist. So often it’s largely just a knee jerk response to something completely divorced from the actual product. Captain Marvel may indeed not be a cinematic masterpiece, but giving it a 1 before it comes out because you don’t like something about it’s percieved politics doesn’t actually tell you anything about whether it is a good or bad movie. Giving MK11 a 2 because you don’t like its microtransactions strategy is also not helpful, not least of which because the game isn’t allowing much microtransaction activity.

If you don’t like a game or a core aspect of it, then by all means give it a bad review and advise people not to buy it. I’m not shy about saying that I won’t buy FG’s these days if they don’t have great netcode, and if you asked if you should buy something if you don’t have a local to attend and would mostly play online after having experienced KI level netcode, I would probably advise against it. If costumes and unlocks and the like are your thing and you feel like MK11 is predatory of your time, then by all means say that, rate that, and try to influence people accordingly. But that’s not what review bombing is - review bombing is a bunch of people who haven’t even played or tried the title dropping the score on otherwise solid games for things that aren’t core to the experience or sometimes don’t even exist.

I’ll be honest and say that I don’t think the practice is even going to be especially effective long term. A lot of the things that get titles review bombed tend to be publisher side decisions (or decisions where the publisher has considerable say, or sometimes just the fact of the publisher existing), but really it’s often the developers themselves who get punished for a low metacritic score. I foresee the industry eventually moving away from strong metacritic ratings as a metric for bonuses and the like, at least for big studios that have more negotiating power. Why risk your employees’ benefits and bonuses on things that you have limited or no control over? With outrage culture what it is now, I would be doing everything in my power as a studio to make sure my paycheck wasn’t tied to arbitrary mob outcries.

I don’t think that’s anyone’s issue. There legitimately is an issue with MK11 that its grind is punishingly slow, and that’s absolutely a valid thing to complain about. The problem is that’s not the context of the discussion - people were complaining that the game is a microtransaction scam, and that’s just not true. And like all good lies, it made it halfway around the world before the truth put on its shoes.

As to the time thing, I get it. My time is precious and valuable to me, and I wouldn’t appreciate a game that expects me to sink hours upon hours to unlock mere fractions of a massive pool of content. But NRS has agreed on that as well, and they are addressing it. If they don’t address it well enough then by all means fans should complain again, but those complaints should be about the actual issue that is occurring and proportional to that. MK11 is not suddenly a 1.5 game because you can’t unlock a Frost headband - if the game was actually that bad you wouldn’t care enough to even indulge the grind.

6 Likes

I’ve always loved that phrase :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, indeed so. But I guess making torn and split puns wouldn’t make the quotes any fresher.

1 Like

Well yeah. But the jokes would likely be about the character he was manipulating.

To be fair, he does have a couple of different lines that come up. It’s better than just one joke over and over.

1 Like

Yup so there is some variety.

I agree, but I guess they didn’t have time to do it for all 25 characters.

1 Like