Mortal Kombat 11

i read somewhere, that some guy posted up on a reddit thread saying that you can just buy all of the unlocks in the game for the hefty sum of 6.4k USD. ed boon has since gone on social media laughing about it and saying its a ridiculous story. he didnt say however what the actual total cost is. can you imagine that? 6.4k is alot of money for cosmetics, brutalities, fatalities, idk what it is you pay to unlock specifically.

dude, if it is true (and believe me i take this news with a grain of salt) thats insane. you know what i can do with that money? i can put an upgraded cam into my 5.7, i can ■■■■■■■ turbo the ■■■■■■■ thing and lol my way into speeding tickets. all while having money left over to upgrade my GPU for cyberpunk 2077’s release next year in 2020, or 2019 if the leaks are accurate which i severely doubt. but, its things like this that add fuel to the fire with your statement regarding fan rage being made into a blunt weapon.

at the end of the day, its quite possible the difficulty and amount of grind required to get everything, which is also allegedly clocking in at 10,000hrs IF the rumors are true (again, grain of salt its what people are saying) was a complete mistake. maybe they just didnt have the time to fix this up before the deadline when MK11 went gold.

it could also be a “hey woah, hold fire, we know, we’re on it, its ok nothing is ■■■■■■ here” kinda situation. its just that WB games past history with monetization is already bad. it falls into the guilt by association thing. mistakes were made, it happens

1 Like

Playing MK11 reminds me of how much I dislike block buttons.

I’m actually willing to just accept this figure at face value. After all, if it’s “just” $1k or $2.5k it’s not really any different is it?

The unstated assumption that seems to be unique to games and unlockables is that somehow we have to be able to unlock it all. People isolate the unlockable content and make the case “it costs them zero money to give this to me so it’s unfair that they are charging me for it.” But we fail to take into account that we are essentially getting the “base” game at a discount based on predictions of future dlc revenue. And we don’t account for the fact that it costs money to develop the game and so even though a digital download doesn’t cost the developers anything at the time of the download, they may have spent millions producing the content.

I mean, you don’t HAVE to unlock every knock knack in the game. Yeah, I want to get cool skins and costumes for my characters too. I want them to give me a reasonable avenue to do that. But I sure as heck didn’t get all the unlocks in Injustice and I doubt I will in MK11 either - even if they fix if. And I think that’s okay. I’m not sure why so many keyboard warriors think it’s not.

So, sure it costs stoopid amounts of money to pay to unlock everything. At present it would also take like a year of waiting for the items to spin up five at a time in the premium store as well. But it would also take me a ridiculous amount of money to buy a Tesla. Or to get leather seats in my Honda. But I don’t write to Honda talking about how they already have the leather and since I bought the car they need to just give it to me.

1 Like

Does Kronika have a fatal blow? I can’t find it online. I found her fatality though. It’s rad.

I disagree with this. If you don’t want to unlock everything, that’s fair. I don’t think it’s fair to ignore that people do want to unlock everything the game has to offer. People buy a game for the content in the game and if the portion that they are interested in isn’t what they wanted, they have every right to criticize it. Being a completionist is just as valid as someone who doesn’t need to unlock everything. Some people buy the game wanting to earn everything, but they feel that the progression system in place is unfair and harms their experience.

Thank you for proving my point exactly.

The problem is that all you completionists refuse to recognize that you represent a small fraction of the player base and you INSIST that every game must cater to you.

Edit: Sorry @Sasuke99I - this is probably more than a bit too harsh. I should not have popped off on you. That wasn’t helpful.

Instead, let me just offer some context. As someone who plays non-fighting games a lot, how do you apply the completionist philosophy to games like Monster Hunter, or to Borderlands? In the former, you CAN get everything in the game. But it requires literal thousands of hours of grinding to do it. In the latter, the rng component makes it impossible, even in theory, to get everything in the game even though there’s no monetization involved. And then in the middle you have something like Destiny or Diablo with rng loot drops. It just doesn’t seem like a reasonable expectation in games with huge amounts of content that you should expect to “reasonably” access all of it.

3 Likes

How the hell do you dash cancel Kollector’s mace shot? The demo can’t even do it.

No it’s not true, unless I’m misunderstanding here. But buying everything with real money cannot be done because you can’t buy 99% of the stuff in the game with real money. You can’t buy hearts, souls or coins with real money, and that’s the stuff you use to unlock krypt items.

Sure, if you wanted to spend $6,400 on time crystals and buy the one or two skins that are offered each day in the store for time crystals, maybe that’s what he meant? I dunno. That’d be insane. That would take you years to do it that way lol.

I could swear that Steve Brownback specifically said on twitter that they took this ability out in final balancing prior to release. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

First off, I’m glad you elaborated with the edit. It kinda struck me harsh as well, so thanks for the edit.

In a lot of games, I kinda agree, it’s unreasonable to cater to completionists. But when we’re talking Mortal Kombat, I honestly feel differently. There is a precedence, several in fact, that they have catered to them. Hell, that’s what the crypt has been all about since its introduction. A good deal of the “fun” of the 3d era MK games was unlocking all the goodies.

But I don’t know…I’ve barely got my foot in the door of MK11’s crypt myself, but from the sound of things they somehow bungled and didn’t cater to completionists or non-completionists, so I don’t know what to say.

Whatever the case, that’s my opinion. You can take it and about $2.00 and go get yourself a soda, for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

i was going to bring up this point as well but had to run to go do a job. yeah the cost could be a couple grand for 100% unlock, but other than completionists who is gonna do it? me personally, i would just get the stuff i want for the fighters i use the most. id call it a day after that, but you know i dont play fighting games to do PvE (player vs environment) stuff, i play to go online and beat ppl up. id just skip the BS and get to fighting.

i dont know about you, but ive had quite an extensive past in the MMORPG scene. the usual way things went with those games was that you had to run on the gear treadmill because to get to the part where you can go kill people, while being competitive, you had to clear the equip gates. then of course, you had the issue of that game’s gear climb.

you had to cross barriers to get to where you wanted to be, and thus i see the whole krypt with unlocking stuff in the same light just without the stats and all that. fighting games, theres no need for that which is also why i dont like how MK11’s single player loop is but that is my own opinion. i spent years acquiring gear, with this genre i can skip all of that BS and get to the point just like tom petty used to say. hell yeah

1 Like

yeah, im just going with the assumption that maybe the person who posted that crazy ■■■■ is talking about gear pieces for each character? its ridiculous, too ridiculous in fact lol. is this a joke? reddit man, i swear it is cancer

1 Like

Yeah not every game should appeal to completionists. That’s fine. The games you listed are have their core gameplay based around the grind. I think that’s why they are usually accepted. The main audience is people who want to spend a lot of time to grind towards a new weapon or armor piece.

I can’t see that with MK11. I might be wrong but I don’t see anyone who actually enjoys the unlock system currently in place. Does anyone actually want to grind all that time? I feel that if the grind is less frustrating, it would appeal to completionists while harming no one. That’s just my take though. MK11 is still a great game regardless.

2 Likes

Man, some of these fatalities just hurt to watch. 2 of them I’ve seen so far is Chronica’s (does she have multiple?), and then Cassie’s massive kick in their netherrealm…ouch.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the rewards are too disconnected from the process and not rewarding enough. I was wandering around the Krypt just now and, while it has the same high production value as the rest of the game, I wouldn’t describe it as “fun.” It’s just walking and unlocking basically random loot chests. It’s not really all that much fun and frankly I would rather just see random items and unlocks “appearing” while I was playing the game. Having said that, I got a lot of skins (mostly for characters I don’t like) just by spending the money I built up doing the tutorial and about an hour of ranked matches.

4 Likes

I have always said that they should just do an unlock shop. Merge it with the DLC store. Just clearly delineate what costs real money and what costs in-game currency. I’d rather buy what I want then get a tonne if stuff I don’t want at random.

Can you get Gear repeats in this game?

I don’t think so - other than the consumable items. They keep saying the chests in the Krypt have all been “hand crafted” and are only random in their placement within the Krypt. This would suggest the loot isn’t random and therefore you can’t accidentally get the same thing twice. But I couldn’t promise you this is true.

1 Like

If that’s true then I might consider doing it all once they fix the grind.

Wait.

Do you need to have online to play the towers?

from what i know, everything is random. gear repeats is a possibility but i cant confirm this. its definitely something worth digging into. does the game let you break down gear into something else like currencies or parts?

1 Like

The chests in the krypt are not random, they’re just located randomly (outside of the major chests that require hearts) for each player. They said in the kombat kast yesterday that if you and I both completed the krypt, we’d come out of it with the exact same items. However, where we got those items from (ie which chests) would differ greatly.

As for breaking down gear in to currencies or parts, I’m not aware of any way to do that. Only thing you can do to combine things is with the recipes / crafting aspect and I haven’t even bothered with that yet so I’m not entirely certain how it works.

2 Likes

Good news for us all I hope.
But take it with a grain of salt please.

2 Likes