Mortal Kombat 11

Frost is scary

2 Likes

i believe the scores stay unless it gets “fixed”

i would think they would have to look around on forums and youtube videos

well these days metascores are used to gauge how well the game does. devs are given bonuses and such if a game hits a certain metascore. there is an incentive to get as high a score as possible. if a publisher is using predatory marketing to nickle and dime everyone to death beyond the 60 dollar price tag, well hitting the metascore is like hitting their pockets too. which is also gonna suck id say for the devs who truly did have good intentions in having us play a wonderful game. it is not their fault, but the suits in the board room giving the thumbs up. the message the angry fans are trying to send is “your game sucks because you’re trying to rip us off”, and the best avenue they see to do so is through metacritic stuff

super late edit: at least MK11 isnt star citizen lol, and i myself protest BS just by doing the simple thing of not buying the ■■■■■■■ game

No, he totally does have that power. The hourglass was essentially done by the time they finished fighting. And because the world wasn’t altered too heavily, he’s able to go get her back from whatever point in time.

As far as the idea of a Great Kung Lao tournament, this is more or less a list of characters that were either alive on Earth at the time of that tournament or from another realm and could potentially be thousands of years old. I left out a few that I’m not a huge fan of, but regardless, here’s who I think could potentially be involved:

The Great Kung Lao

Fire God Liu Kang

Shang Tsung

Goro

Reptile

Raiden (theoretically)

Kitana

Jade

Shao Khan

Sheeva

Rain

Fujin

Quan Chi

Tanya

Sareena

Bo Rai Cho

Drahmin

Li Mei

Moloch

Nitara

Ashrah

Havik

Hotaru

D’Vorah

Kotal Khan

Cetrion

Kollector

So that’s 26 characters to choose from, and I’d also assume they’d have an ancestor version of Scorpion and Sub Zero, even if they don’t have the same names, so we’d still have the blue ninja and the yellow ninja.

Now, I’m not saying that all 26 of those should be chosen. I think Shao Khan would need to be left out since he was still in Outworld at the time, but having a core roster of Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, Goro, Reptile, Raiden, Kitana, Jade, and Rain would be enough of a balance, especially with some of the other characters added in there so players didn’t feel like it was SF3 all over again. What do you think?

My worry with an Armageddon style game is that the quality will dip and concessions will need to be made from both a graphical and gameplay standpoint. Remember in Armageddon how no character had a unique fatality? I don’t know if I want to go back to that.

Now, that could be good if we just get each character with a single moveset and no gear and it’s just a fighting game where the characters fight. Maybe they do go the route of making it a tag team or team of three game like MvC. I could see that being interesting and they obviously have enough characters to do it with. Just not sure I want any type of Armageddon game above MK12.

As for Cetrion, yeah, I agree. I think she chose her mother over what was right, and while that alone doesn’t make her a bad character, the fact that she was so absent from so much of the story and simply didn’t do all that much made her feel like a wasted character, especially given what she is. They were good to subvert expectations at the end, but otherwise there really wasn’t much to her, which kinda sucks.

As for the rewind thing being genius, I certainly don’t mind where they’re at now, but I think they could’ve accomplished this without retconning the last three games. I mean, what was the point of even playing through THIS story mode if it was all just going to be undone at the end? Why not just start off this game by having Liu Kang and Raiden defeat Kronika, then go in to what happens next?

Maybe that’s a little to MKX for them, with how Shinnok was defeated early on, but still. Telling a story in a movie that negates the whole movie at the end is one thing. Telling a 7 hour story in a game and then retconning that, as well as the previous two games’ stories just feels a bit off to me. Again, I don’t hate it, and I like that they’re set up to go someplace else going forward, without all the time bending stuff, but it feels like MK9 was there to retcon the past, and now MK11 just retconned itself, MKX and MK9 lol. Seems… Extreme.

Wait, so once the game is fixed, Metacritic removes those old review bomb scores?

Yeah, that’s what kinda sucks for the devs though. Imagine if your job is to animate fatalities or motion capture or whatever, if you get a bonus for how well the game scores and Metacritic has the Xbox One version at like a 1.9 / 10 currently, how is that your fault?

I mean, I get it. Fans want to send a message and yelling at the devs on twitter can easily feel like shouting in to the void. Maybe they thought the only reason Boon and others would address the issues is if they posted negative reviews. It’s a tool they have, so they’re using it.

I dunno though, it just seems kinda weird to me. I mean, the rest of the game is fantastic. It’s not a 1.9 / 10 game. If anything it’s a 9.1 / 10 game. So in order for someone to get their point across on one issue, they’ll mislead people in to thinking it’s a crappy game? I dunno, just seems wrong. I’m sure enough people will just look at the critic score and the user score and think “welp, fans hate this game, so I guess I’ll hold off” which can easily turn in to a no-buy.

Eh, whatever. Everyone can do what they want, of course. I just think it’s kinda oily to weaponize review scores as a means to communicate with the devs, especially when I’m sure a lot of those people that gave it a crappy score likely won’t come back and adjust them later.

FWIW, I DO hate the microtransaction aspect of this game. I hate having all of these consumables and currencies and I think NRS absolutely needs to cut that junk from the next game. Like I said above, it’s like a less fun version of Shadowlords and even if the staggering prices for things didn’t deter me, having to manage all this crap likely would.

Obviously I’m still playing and I’ll keep playing because I want more skins for the characters. But I hope they learn that in the future, there are far better and more fun ways of doling all this stuff out, grind or no grind.

@swordman09 Ah yeah, good call there. I forgot about the hourglass. I guess that’s essentially his now. I just thought that it was weird she was there at the end, but it’s entirely conceivable (and preferable) that his act of going to get her and bringing her to that moment at the end was shown off-screen. Makes sense. Thanks!

1 Like

I think that that’s a very good potential lineup. The major problem though is the lack of Scorpion and Sub-Zero. That would be like Street Fighter with no Ken and Ryu. And I can’t think of a way to easily get them into the past for something like this.

That’s why I think now is the perfect time for it. The “Modern Trilogy” has concluded. So doing an Amageddon style game, ideally with tag-team mode and a story limited to the Arcade mode, and no gear or customization beyond alt-costumes, would be the best way to make sure every single duck is in a row before going in and picking and choosing elements for MK12. There are no cliffhangers we’d be waiting on with the story sense we genuinly have no clue what’s coming next. Not sure NRS would certainly agree, but I feel like if they were going to do a “Mortal Kombat Tag Tournament” game, then now would be the time to do it. Plus I just want a chance to play as Kronika and Fire God Liu Kang in vs. matches.

Hopefully Cetrion gets to be explored more in future sequels, as I really like her gameplay. She’s defiantly one of my mains

As for the rewind, I don’t like it but I have no idea where else it could have gone. The story they were telling needed closure, that much is true. The ending is really only satisfying in a “self-contained to this trilogy” kind of way, ignoring the setup for the future. Lord Liu Kang and Lady Kitana are still alive and around and are shaping the future of the series, so hopefully it’s not all for nothing. I could definitely see them appearing in minor ways and influencing the game going forward.

Pitch: The Mortal Kombat Kollection. HD Remasters of Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat Gold, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat Unchained, and the Wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

no, the score will remain the same. when i say “fixed”, thats when metacritic will call the review bombs as “trolling” then erase them and raising its score as a result.

if potential buyers walk away, what can i say man had they just done the simple thing of treating their playerbase and dedicated lifelong fans better, then they wouldnt be having this issue. people know that if you want to get a publisher’s attention you start hitting them in the pocket. its a shame, had they gone a different way MK11 would sell itself without any kind of hassle and i dare say rake even more money than it has already. the bad press also got worse when you have streamers with large audiences like maximilian berating the game for its marketing gag as well. those viewers of his will spread the word and well, there you go.

im gonna say i am absolutely not surprised this BS happened. this reminds me of arkham knight all over again for PC lmao, a game so terribly ported that it actually STARTED refunds on steam. who was the publisher for that disaster? WB. it was a catastrophic ■■■■ up on their part, that arkham knight actually got pulled from the store. so here they come with MK11, a game that is quite important and here they are ■■■■■■■ up again lmao

just enjoy the game man, its ok and i wouldnt worry so much.

edit: well…what do you know. the game is already being sold at a discount, ouch

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. That’s what I figured.

Yeah, you’re not wrong. Part of me hopes that it was just some garbage balancing on their part (for the towers at least), but I think NRS and more importantly, WB, has to finally learn that they need to stop with all the in-game currencies, the consumables, the paid bypasses and the microtransactions in general. It got them in trouble with Shadow of War, and they’re doing the same thing again, which is utterly baffling to me after the Battlefront 2 fiasco.

I would’ve thought that was a general wake up call to the industry that the line has been set and publishers are going to far, but apparently not.

Of course, I say this, but I was okay with everything they did in KI and that game had consumables, multiple currencies, and microtransactions. Maybe it’s just because I played the crap out of that game and didn’t have to interact with the mtx aspect as much, but looking back on it, especially after seeing what MK has done here… I have to admit that this isn’t the direction fighting games should be going.

You want to charge for a season of DLC characters, skins, etc. Cool. Make your money. But putting in this complex economy of time crystals, hearts, souls, gold or in Killer Instinct, KI Gold, astral gems, etc and then having these consumables, which are somehow prizes even though all they’re doing is helping you through ratcheted up difficulty levels… I dunno. I’m starting to see all of this in a new light.

It also doesn’t help that I’ve been seeing more and more people talking on twitter about NRS and their issues with crunch and what not. Man… I really hope game makers will unionize across the industry. The stuff game studios are making their employees do is borderline inhumane.

Sorry, didn’t mean to get all dark or whatever. I’m loving the game and enjoying the hell out of it, but there are certainly some other issues at play too.

That seems odd to me. I’ve read that this has been the most successful launch by an NRS game to date. I’m kinda confused as to why they’re even doing this. Seems really crappy to all the people that preordered too. Price drops are inevitable, but the day after launch? C’mon… WTF?

2 Likes

I mean, the pre-order gives you Shao Kahn, that’s something you don’t get from ordering now. You have to pay extra for him. So I can understand a $10 price drop now.

the problem is they think they are infallible. that isnt so, EA is figuring it out, so is activision blizzard which had layoffs recently. then you have bioware right now floundering in the water with no wind going into the sails, a once great and legendary studio.

EA had such little faith in that anthem game, that they launched apex legends out of left field which would go on to overshadow it, stealing away any players it had a chance of getting even if it was dismal. EA recovered from the BF5 disaster, but they also got bit in the ■■■ by karma. nobody at EA kept tabs on respawn to monetize the living ■■■■ out of apex because they didnt anticipate that it would get 20 million+ players in a weekend, which had they charged at least 10 bucks a head, they wouldve paid for the entire project in 48 hours.

as for KI, thing is you had a choice. you could pay full price of a game or extra for the ultra editions, or just buy the characters you think you will only have time for. i never touched shadow lords or whatever, so i have no feedback there to give. it was a new way of selling a fighting for sure, and was a point of frustration for many from what i recall on how it was done. i didnt have a problem with it myself, because i loved KI so much i just bought the ■■■■ game in full (and an x1).

this makes me think MK11 is almost like a ■■■■■■ mobile game LOL

1 Like

Welp I’ve played the game myself and I can give my opinion on it. It’s a good game. It has it’s fun moments for sure. But I don’t want to dwell on the negative so i’ll keep the negative brief. But I will also discuss the positives that came with it as well.

Roster

Negative
this one was the biggest disappointment for me for personal reasons. Reptile was left out of the base roster and at this point I don’t even know if he will even be DLC. It’s not impossible for him to be, but things will be uncertain. It will suck though having to wait some years just to play as him again. Then there’s the absence of Smoke, Rain, Mileena, (two of which have been are not likely going to be DLC with Kitana having her sai, and Ed Boon said they don’t do repeats.

The Positive side though is that this game did introduce some interesting new characters like Kollector. Not only did we get a six armed character, but we got one that wasn’t trying to be another Goro, kintaro, or Sheeva. Even Cetrion was a neat addition. It shouldn’t be a surprise that she’s an elder god sense Shinnok is one himself. It was also nice to see Shao Khan return too. I was also happy to see some of the MKX characters make a come back like Kotal. D’vorah I wasn’t expecting to return but I guess that should’ve been expected considering her chaarcter. Errorn Black being back is also welcomed addition. I’m also happy for the Baraka and jade fans too. They got left out of the fun in MKX and I’m glade for them and hope they enjoy the character. I also know some characters like Fera Tor got left out but I never cared much for them. Frost also got to make her return after being gone for the past three games. and Skarlet finally made her debut in a game as a base character. Which is welcomed considering her death in comics.

Overall
the Roster was still a huge disappointment. But I won’t let it overshadow it to the point where I can’t see some of the good. But leaving out Reptile or the others I mentioned will not be justified in my opinion. I know some folks don’t consider characters important to a game in that’s their point of view. But I think if folks need that character to determine buying the game then that’s perfectly fine. We should never call them a fake fan simply for speaking with their wallet.

Story

the Story is is great, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve said “Holy crap he/she actually did it!” kind of thing. Something none of us thought would have happen. Though the ending did have me concerned because we don’t know what it is they planned on doing for the next Mortal Kombat game. Sorry had to blur it to avoid spoilers. What will happen Raiden? will we go back to the old timeline before raiden changed the time or will we be getting a completley different story? I also loved all the Movie refrences too. but they missed an oppritunity when Jhonny Cage smashed the younger one’s sunglasses. They could’ve refrenced the quote from from the movie. “Those where 500 dollar sunglass ■■■■■■■” they missed it! but that was nit pick. It was still said to see some characers die like Sonya Blade and Hanzo. (By the way I think my brother has joined the anti-DeVorah camp after that happened. By the way DeVorah scares me. Most bugs don’t bother me, but considering how she’s based off a wasp which I dread.

Overall a good story though, the ending I’m not sure about, but it was mostly good.

Gameplay

The game is decent wiht it;s gameplay it’s fun and I do enjoy the features they added. One of the customizations I currently have is one I dubbed Ice Dragon for Sub-Zero.

They got rid of the Xrays which is said but I don’t necessarily miss it, and Fatal blows are not spamable thankfully. For once they actually balanced the gun users too.

Overall a good game. It’s not perfect and I’d say a fair score would be a 8/10. Not the highest score compared to others. I might see my sticking around with it for awhile until I know for sure if Reptile is out completely. If so then it’s going to be a long time before MK 12 comes around.

They’re doing what I’d have to think is an emergency kombat kast now.

They’ve already done a server-side update to lower opponent health and modifiers triggering like missiles, etc. I think those will be blockable now too? Difficulty going down, I guess.

They’re also going to push an update, hopefully by the end of the week, they say, to raise the amount of gold you get for doing stuff.

They say everything was too challenging at launch and they’ll continue to address that. “Consumables are awesome and fun” ehhh… okay.

“Hearts, gold, coins, augments, nothing that impacts gameplay cannot be purchased via mtx.” Okay, but I’m hoping that grind is getting adjusted.

For the krypt: “600 chests, all of them are the same for everyone except for the special chests (like the ones that have Shao Khan on them), but the chests are in different places for each player. You’ll get the same stuff by the end and each chest is hand crafted. Nothing is random.” Huh, that’s good, at least.

NRS is giving players 500,000 gold coins, 500 hearts (for shao khan chests, which are the best chests), 1,000 souls and 1,000 time crystals. Those will come out soon, but not sure when exactly.

They’ll have patch notes when it’s all done.

Aaaaaand scene. lol. Done already. I don’t think that was even ten minutes.

1 Like

I will just say, that if I let the lack of a specific character hinder my enjoyment of the game, then I would hate most of the modern MK games. As most of the characters I have personal attachments to tend to get left out in most games. I feel SUPER luck that I got Frost AND Kabal AND Skarlet AND Shang Tsung AND Shao Kahn, on top of some really cool newcomers. But as a genuine fan of 3D era characters like Ashra, Li Mei, and Kira. And I am disappointed that Sektor isn’t playable (so close and yet so far). But well, if I let that stop me from enjoying MK, like I said, I would hate the modern series.

tried to warn you man, but i dont blame you for having hope

@Iago407 damage control, name of the game

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is true, but I imagine Sean Himmerick storming into his bosses office at WB and giving them an earful because they were not prepared for this backlash at all.

Honestly, I blame EA for Bioware’s struggles. I’ve seen so much crap from ex-EA devs talking about how awful Frostbite is, yet EA still forces their devs to use. Well, everyone except for Respawn. Honestly, at this point, I’m surprised Bioware and EA haven’t just mutually agreed to split. EA’s draining that studio and the studio itself seems to be hurting their own employees.

Yeah I didn’t have a problem with anything KI did at the time. I played the crap out of it, so I didn’t feel like I was being steered toward spending money. I will say that in MK11, I beat the story mode AND got the 100K gold coins you get just by entering the krypt, which gave me roughly 280,000 coins and I still feel like I barely made a dent in the krypt. Some of the chests were only about 5,000, but some were 13,000 or more.

Now, they said that you can’t buy gold coins with money, which is true. So the whole “they’re steering us toward microtransactions” is both untrue and true at the same time. If you have to get gold, you have to play the game’s modes and if you have to spend money on stuff to progress in the game, well, yeah. That’s a problem then.

So it’s nice to see they’re toning down the difficulty. Hopefully everything will be as it should be soon.

Yeah, kinda. They say that all of this wasn’t their intention, of course. So we’ll have to see how this looks in a week or two, or even down the road. I want to play the game, I want to have fun with it, but I also don’t want to grind and grind, only to get a tiny bit of progress.

1 Like

You know, one thing that, I believe, led to the concessions made in MK Armageddon is that at the time they were still at the mercy of the media of the day, since games of the era were still primarily released on disks, they likely had a limited amount of data they could fit on a DVD, not to mention they were still big on having story modes play almost like a completely different game, and that took space as well. Even MK9 was still mostly tied to a physical release. But nowadays, what with most games being primarily digital distribution, there really is no memory restraints they would have to be working under to make a “all hands on deck” game have to be compromised in such a way. I don’t know if MK 9-11 are compatible enough in design that they could very easily drag & drop models, backgrounds, move sets, etc. like what was done with previous entries, but if they are, I wouldn’t think it would be too much trouble to whip up another MKT/MKA/MK9 kind of game.

1 Like

All the more reason I’m glad I had it shipped to my home instead of my college. I won’t get home till next week! Not sure I even wanted to do the Krypt, but if they adjust the grind and make it feel obtainable, then maybe. Part of the reason I wasn’t interested in obtaining all the Gear in Injustice 2 was that it just felt unobtainable because the grind would take so long and you could get repeats.

God I wish I had thought of that!

Despite Reptile’s absence I did say before that I wasn’t going to let it hinder the fun I’m trying to have with the game. I’am having fun with it still, despite this.I do also think some of the 3D era characters should get an opportunity to come back as well, it’s question of when it would be the right time to. I can also say from the reception people have given from Reptile’s absence that he is almost guaranteed a return in MK 12, and even I can see some of the 3D era characters making a return in future games. Though I think some of the hate comes from some of the 3D era characters either being Black Dragons, Red Dragons, ect. Even though that wasn’t even the majority of them.

I wouldn’t mind them brining back characters Ashra, or Lei Mei or Nitara. Heck I’d like to see Onaga too, but I know it’s not his time to show up, not to mention his status as a boss character might decrease his chances of being playable.

Heck I’d love to see Khameleon come back and hopefully we get some expansion on the saurian race. Sense she’s only been in two games. Never the less I’m still livid about Reptile’s absence and still have some hope.

Hope keeps the hype and enjoyment alive, and I’d rather be a person who has some degree of hope than someone who’s so fixated on the negative that they either A: don’t contribute to the conversation, or B: constantly talk about wanting that character and saying the game is the worst one in the series even though they’ve never played it.

We already had enough of that when KI season 1 was being made.

1 Like

probably so, things like this lead to lay offs you know. nothing sucks more than having to fire your hard workin people who just killed themselves to deliver a game on time.

of course theyre gonna say as much. but the publisher being the publisher made them do it. kind of like “ok, lets stick em with this gag and see what happens” then they go off into the bushes to see our reactions. when people started to skin eachother alive over it, they then called in the order to tone it down. thats just my assumption and is purely conjecture

1 Like