Mortal Kombat 11

For me I only stand and will defend a decision on a female character’s design if the developer or artiest designs the character on their own free will. In other words, they were not forced to make any changes. If someone wants to make a female character designed in anyway they choose., whether swimsuit or full body suit is up to them.

I’m against censoring someone. If they want to make the change that’s up to them but again only if they get to do it without someone stepping in and forcing them.

2 Likes

I find it ironic that they would go to certain lengths to make females not sexy or whatever everyone is calling it so no one is offended but… you can slice peoples faces in half while hearing their teeth grind against the blade as their large intestines are hanging out on the ground … very odd to me that some one would get offended over cleavage and not disembowelment.

I just prefer the characers to look awesome as they are… no changing them in order to not offend anyone. This isnt the game for people easily offended.

3 Likes

Trying not to offend anyone like that doesn’t work because then you get this situation with people who clearly offended and railing on you for changing things. I’m sure the devs realize this as much as anyone, they just don’t care and are sticking to their guns on their decision whether everyone likes it or not.

Personally I liked them going away from the constant ninja-bikini stuff, though I can see the argument that they’ve gone slightly overboard (at least from what we’ve seen so far). But nothing is ever going to be exactly where I want it, and I have more important concerns for the game than skin politics. If I can tolerate the stuff I don’t like in games like Dead or Alive and retain a basic level of respect for the creators’ preference, I can definitely tolerate this.

1 Like
1 Like

its probably just something they did to avoid the puritanical blue haired ■■■■■■ weirdos on twitter starting a hashtag brigade on NRS, or scraggly bearded hipster dudes in skinny jeans trying to score points with them lmao. the politically correct ■■■■■■■■ theyre trying to court wont buy the game anyway, they also wont forget that MK did have scantily clad well endowed women.

the only people theyre ■■■■■■■ off are the ones who are or were going to buy the game, the fans who adore MK, and help get their ■■■■■■■ paychecks signed. honestly i dont mind them going this route even though the artists explanation was ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■ they shouldve just been consistent with the men as well. its really not a deal breaker for me, i got soul calibur 6 and tekken 7 if i want hot babes beating the hell out of eachother. thats my 2 cents on the matter, and i understand where @BoJima404 is coming from.

1 Like

Agreed, if they chose not to make risque designs of their own volition then I have no problem with it. Being forced to censor their creative vision by toning down their designs never works out well. If what is happening with NRS is indeed the latter than it’s a shame, as much as I like the more heavily armored designs it should be by their own choice.

But just like R1Stormrider I have SC6 and T7, so I’m in no shortage of that stuff if I actually wanted it. At this point the only deal breaker for MK11 would be the gameplay itself.

2 Likes

Sigh. Well here we go, yet again.

I’m so tired of this completely bogus argument that “well they should do the same thing with the men or it’s a double standard.” If you think that muscly men with their shirts off is equivalent to women with huge breasts covered by just enough fabric to hide a nipple then you are woefully mistaken. Liu Kang’s “traditional” outfit is not the equivalent of Kitana’s. It wasn’t in 1993 and it isn’t now. And pointing out this reality does not make someone a blue haired Puritan. This crap is just a regressive mob backlash by a bunch of thirsty cry babies. And you can call me whatever names you want -

The female characters revealed so far for MK11 look awesome. What are people complaining about? I see idiots like LCD on twitter complaining that women wearing clothes are somehow all the same. Yeah, sure put them all in bikinis - that will add variety. Flipping through a bondage lingerie catalogue or drawing your favorite ■■■■ Star is not somehow more creative than putting women into a game wearing clothes. Can anyone seriously tell me that Jade and Skarlett look more alike in this game than MK9? That’s ■■■■■■■■■ “Jades traditional bathing suit outfit is technically a one piece while MK9 Skarlett’s outfit was a two piece. Plus she had shoulder armor.” If you can say this ■■■■ with a straight face then I don’t know what to do other than shake my head.

If you want to look at naked women there are plenty of places you can do that, and more power too you. But if you are offended that the developers of MK don’t want to slap all their female characters in bikinis then you have a problem. Full stop. It’s not about somehow winning or losing or this absolutely out of control “eye for an eye” mentally everyone seems to have adopted where if someone claims something is offensive the only correct response is to be offended that they are offended by it. Everything is not a binary “us vs them” choice.

I don’t know what the guy said, precisely. But I really don’t care. I’m tired of all the “gotcha-ism” in our world. We are seriously going to boycott MK because there’s not enough skin showing on the women? I think that’s nuts.

4 Likes

thats not the entire reason why there are people choosing to boycott the game, just part of it. i dont think you’re a puritanical little ■■■■■ though, but if you ever do dye your hair blue and put on some skinny jeans i will worry about you haha

3 Likes

Final character design at NRS, like most studios, is the work of a team of people, not the result of some artist on a mountain’s sole vision. The preliminary work is usually one or two people, but as the process moves along more hands get involved and input comes from a variety of places. Ideas get added and removed for a variety of reasons both technical (accoutrement X doesn’t play well with mechanic Y or accessory Z) and artistic (why would a vampire wear a party hat?), and the process across the industry tends to be relatively fluid. But it is a team of people making these characters.

That said, internet buzz likes to scream “we shouldn’t censor the artists”, but what evidence do we have that NRS artists are being censored? Where is the evidence that the teams of people who made Jade or Skarlet or Cassie haven’t made exactly the character they want to make, in exactly the way they want to make it? In the absence of an NRS employee writing an (anonymous or not) manifesto stating that all his ideas for X character were shot down, there is absolutely zero reason to believe that the looks of the MK11 characters, male and female, are not exactly how the team decided to proceed together from an artistic standpoint. The team wanted to make a game where their female characters are dressed in more than bikinis and lingerie, and that’s exactly the game they’ve made as far as we can tell.

4 Likes

Not trying to call anyone out but this comment is pretty representative of why this “conversation” has made no progress in a decade. It’s just a never-ending back-and-forth show of assumptions, prejudice, and slander. Not to mention a complete unwillingness to give others the benefit of the doubt or demonstrate any form of tolerance to those with differing views.

It’s getting hard for anyone to pretend this is about principles. If it’s not creators being censored then it’s terrible anti-gaming people corrupting NRS who need to be fired, and they’ll claim to boycott it anyway until they get what they want because what a few characters are or aren’t wearing is a hill they want to die on.

Obviously I have similar thoughts on the people who yell “sexist male fantasy” at everything, but these days I don’t see them as anything more than a fading fringe.

but you just did lol

Why waste time doing all that “pained face” work if half the cast is just going to have a mask slapped over it in all your close-ups? Masks would also make some krushing blows look kinda weird I imagine, with ones like Kabal’s either having strange clipping issues or risk being ambiguous as to what horrible brutality is actually occurring.

1 Like

I was trying to make an example. Whether it’s one artiest or a team doesn’t make a difference to me. The point is if they made the decision with their own volition, then I’m okay with it. We can always say what we want a character to look like and maybe they can take suggestions. But at the end of the day, it’s there call.

That’s a question that even I would ask. As far as I’m aware no one outside of the company has ever told them to make the female characters like that.

1 Like

i also believe it was entirely on their own volition to do it. i just think theyre doing it to adapt to how choppy the seas of western pop culture has become in the year of our lord 2019. still, i find it amusing how all the chics are armored up and the guys arent lol. if done by their choice i am in agreement they are in their rights to do so, by all means go for it. i enjoy the character designs myself (jade looks ■■■■■■■ metal).

also seeing comments around the web people are using the reasoning that the women are dressed up as such because of how dirty the kombatants fight with guns, fireballs, and weapons. ok. im baraka, im gonna go fight cassie cage shirtless in a loin cloth and shes armed with pistols. she can mag dump into me with hollow points. im also gonna fight against scorpion, who has blades on him. well since my thighs are exposed, im asking for the femoral artery to get cut killing me in 1 determined slash slowly. thats not including all the other vitals in my upper body. yeah, awesome lol. combat ready! theyre all armored up to hell, the guys? nah thats ok! pffftt lol we’re men, we can take gettin shot in the gut!

anyway in real life nobody wants to get choked out by their own outfit and nobody wants to wear anything that hinders movement. you put a girl in those get ups who has fight experience, shes gonna start takin that junk off up until where shes not completely naked (their boots are gonna be the first thing to go guaranteed)

to lighten the mood here is a fight scene from Ninja 2 with scott adkins. wicked film, i really enjoyed it. also take notice how his costume is tailored to facilitate adkins’ ability to be flexible and mobile to perform his acrobatics while maintaining theatrics.

if they want to say “we did it to be realistic” well, hate to break it to you if that were true everyone would be dressed up for a UFC tournament. that my friends is not good for a fantasy setting at all. its a boring look, because its 110% about practicality and 0% flash.

that said, im still planning on buying MK11 because i love the franchise even if i been outta the loop for the past several years with it. im ready to rock and i look forward to seeing all the tech we will be sharing here

1 Like

Nightwolf need to be back for take down erron black

Cowboys vs Indians.

1 Like

Crushing blows still have the masks on…it Xrays through it and shows the skull but you can still see the mask or hat or whatever dissapears in fatalities and Fatal blows.
Just seems like there could be a way around it with out it just dissapearing and reappearing.

Krushing blows last half a second and involve a quick cut. It’s a lot easier to cheat as an animator on something that happens quickly and has a bunch of extraneous effects going on. It’d be much more difficult to do a good job animating the extremely close-up, extremely exaggerated and dramatic fatal blows than what they do on the krushings. And again, MK’s ubiquitous masks would hide a lot of the work the team has done on crafting these well-done faces during the moments of impact. Just on principle I can see why artists and engineers wouldn’t want to hide all that effort.

I’m not saying it’d be utterly impossible to accomplish, but ultimately it strikes me as one of those things that has significantly more down than upside. Way more opportunities for stuff to just look weird, especially if the face pieces start to include things like cloth masks and more “flowy” materials. And with blood spewing from the mouth in the quantities fatal blows engender, it’d look somewhat odd for all of that to just be phasing through whatever mask a character was wearing :man_shrugging:t5:

Yeah, this to me is more the point. If NRS was turning out a slew of boring female character designs I would have a little more sympathy for people’s complaints. But the characters are interesting and varied, and still present a very idealized version of the female form - just with clothes on. If the people complaining walked into a room in the real world and saw a woman who looked like Jade they would be picking their tongues up off the floor.

Your point about it being fantasy is well taken. But I think there is a level of absurdity, even in fantasy that can detract from the experience. The chain mail bikini has had its day in the sun, but it’s kind of tough for me, at least, to look at that kind of character/outfit design and not find it cringey at this point. On the flip side, certainly if they were to put in an MMA style outfit for a character and people were arguing that it was too revealing I don’t think they would have a leg to stand on.

@FallofSeraphs76 I agree with you that the sudden disappearance of the masks for fatalities is jarring. But a lot of the fatalities are intimate (and gross) depictions of the character faces being sliced up in gruesome ways. I think it would be really tough to incorporate masks into those animations. Think of Baraka’s face grab. It just doesn’t work with a mask.

3 Likes

no arguments there, i think alot of people are just jumping to conclusions anyway. who knows what else they’ll add for costumes after feedback and other things

at this point for me in regards to MK, i would just want their old school OG costumes for everyone. for jade/kitana/mileena they were pretty much palette swaps. but the things they wore in MK3 would be what i would choose. it wasnt anything too crazy, they pretty much had the old mocap actresses wearing things you’d see in figure skating competitions or gymnastics. i just want it really for nostalgia purposes. but if i had to choose between their old costumes, or the pit stage…id take the pit. that made MK lol

1 Like

Yeah guess so lol. Not trying to beef with anyone, just tired of hearing all this same old crap for so many years.