Middle Earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

I haven’t played it. It definitely looks cool but I haven’t added it to my backlog yet. Maybe I will pick it up for cheap when the sequel rolls out. Always good to hear from folks what’s good.

Trust me Andy, It may be the best game Ive ever played in that style of game. Its fun and at times funny…thats what makes it better than Dark Souls and other Action RPGs

This.

The funny moments and things I remember just top the awesomeness of my other favorite game (Witcher 3).

1 Like

Check this shittt out!!! @BigBadAndy @STORM179 @R1stormrider @TheNinjaOstrich

Watch it all the way to the end!!! If you dont you are missing out on maybe the most amazing game play, engine, pphhphhhh …whatever they call all this. My mind is just overwhelmed that a game can even do all of this stuff. AN dif you played the 1st game you will see things that have been upgraded and its just mind blowing! :astonished:

1 Like

It’s a great video. Certainly make me wish I was home playing games instead of stuck in a hotel room… This long form video definitely does the game a better service than the trailer clips they have shown. As with a lot of open world expansive games the individual interactions shown in the trailer look a little wonky when compared to CG cinematics etc. - so definitely putting them in context of all the interactions you can have is a way better idea.

I’m curious what the game actually plays out like for someone like me. When you’re putting together these videos everything just kind of rolls along and clearly the player knows exactly what to do and when to do it. I would be scanning all around trying to figure stuff out. And in reality are you constantly starting over to prevent your Ogre captain from getting burned to death and ■■■■ like that, or do you just kind of roll with these losses? Is there some kind of trigger for the cinematics or do they just happen (like the cavalry guy attacking the final boss, or the archer killing the other warlord)? I didn’t see any control prompts, so it’s tough to know what the character is controlling and what is basically just a movie.

Still, I think overall it looks very cool and the systems sound fun. I really need to get through some backlog before I start buying new games but I will add Shadow of Mordor to my list. Also, I think it’s worth noting that EA has taken a franchise that had kind of fallen into movie cash in territory and created a substantial and unique gameplay around that property. It’s easy to criticize the big game companies for all their cash ins, but hopefully we can encourage them to keep doing this kind of stuff.

It just happens dude! And if the troll burns…well he is dead! You have to promote a new troll or captain. You have to destroy the enemies ranks and captains and you also have captains and chiefs. When they get hurt they remember, when they die…they die forever.

I agree the video flows a little to well and it looks to me the player has the top Rune equipped to where you can instantly Assassinate people without having to mash attack and combo them into an execution. BUt being able to quickly execute them makes for a quicker and cooler video…but I agree it doesnt truly represent what YOU will be playing like…it will be much harder and when you get hit you will have to run away and find some healing herbs too join back into the fight.

Oh and BTW you are controlling everything that isnt a cinematic piece. When the guy teleports and attacks…you are doing that.

I’m going to talk about Shadow of Mordor here since I don’t feel like starting a whole new thread. If anyone objects let me know…

@FallofSeraphs76 I’m enjoying it so far, but am I the only one kind of confused by the beginning? He gets killed then wakes up in Mordor. It’s not at all clear what I’m really supposed to be doing or what the intended game progression is. I’m just filling out lots of mini quests. I’m enjoying it but it feels kind of random. Am I just slow or is that how it’s supposed to be?

Like I said, I’m enjoying it so far. But I feel a bit directionless.

Your character doesn’t know, and he is trying to find out why is he in limbo and why is he connected to the Elf Ghost. Every time you die and reappear in the light tower there is dialogue where he is asking the Elf “Why the F am I here, i need answers” and the Elf is like we need to track down Gollum or Find the Chisel that produced the One Ring, ect…

You are still early game so it hasnt really explained yet, but listen to the Elf as much as you can, and soon, once you uncover who he is it will start to lead you to your answers.

1 Like

Talion was a guard right on the border of Mordor, so when he dies and resurrects he’s basically in the same spot he always was, just now it’s officially Mordor territory on account of their murdering the border guards and expanding toward Gondor.

2 Likes

I played the crap out of this game back when it came out and absolutely loved it. The sheer amount of stuff you can do and find and the amazing nemesis system… I actually succumbed to a strange issue that I don’t know if I’ve ever really faced in a game before. I enjoyed the gameplay so much that I stopped wanting to advance the story. I really wanted to thin out the ranks as much as possible, even though that was utterly pointless, since new characters would pop in and take the place of the ones I’d killed.

I can’t see how many hours I put in to it (currently at work, procrastinating some crap I have to do lol) but I did finally make it to the next area. I just stopped playing around that time and haven’t picked it up much since then. Not sure if that needs a spoiler, but whatever.

But after seeing the jaw dropping trailer, I think I need to pick it up again. It’s been a while since I’ve watched a trailer and thought “oh wow, that looks INSANELY fun!”

So yeah, Shadow of War is a day one purchase for me, no question. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im in the 2nd area. Not sure if there is a 3rd but there are 3 main bad guys at the beginning that kills you. The one with the hammer is the first area, Im assuming the 2nd are is the big henchmen, and the 3rd would be the black Hand himself. But of course Im just guessing as I have no idea what the game has in store beyond the chiefs.

Thanks @FallofSeraphs76 and @STORM179. It just felt like I was missing something, and I guess I really wasn’t…

As an aside, this game doesn’t have the same sort of recruitment mechanic as the sequel? You’re just running around as an independent operator?

@Iago407 I can totally see this. I actually have learned to avoid open world games for this reason. What I want to do is play through the story, but my years of RPG playing and generally OCD nature means I’m running around trying to complete every little blip in the map before I move on - and I end up stressing myself out. At this point I’ve probably killed 200 Orcs and I’ve only completed one yellow story mission…

I guess the GOTY edition comes with some pretty impressive runes that you start the game with? Some of them are pretty awesome, but it kind of ruins the idea of farming captains for runes if they drop things so much worse than what you already have.

Still, I’m looking forward to playing more.

1 Like

Lol. This very thing is giving me fits in ME:Andromeda right now, and gave me issues in Dragon Age: Inquisition and Skyrim before it. 70+ hours into Andromeda and I’m still at only like 40% completion. Definitely feeling a little “:sweat:” about how I’m spending my time right now… :sweat_smile:

And yeah, Shadow of Mordor has recruitment as well (not sure how it compares to Shadow of War’s though). You can control and direct Orc lieutenants and chiefs and get them to do some of your dirty work for you. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Recruitment happens later in the 2nd area after the first 5 chiefs are defeated…once you learn the Branding move that is basically a mind control hand to the forehead magic spell.

Im the same way trying to get everything on the radar before moving forward…but thats a good thing in this game becasue you will be powerful enough to defeat the chiefs and Area boss due to you have earned enough money to unlock combat abilities. Without those abilities you wont be able to beat a some of the chiefs.

I advise using the sword rune that lights up your sword with fire and the other Epic rune that is the Power of Illainal sword or whatever. That allows you to get a combo and execution move mid combo that helps you beat the chiefs. Because they are so tough you cant get a regular hit in. you have to combo the bum orcs and save the execution for the chief standing next to them.

@BigBadAndy Hey dude I played a bit of Shadows tonight and Ive just started branding an Orc army. I made a few Xbox clips if you want to see a brief moment of it check it out on my captures or on your Xbox social feed. Its pretty cool! You brand a captain to go and be the chiefs body guard…he then goes through the camp talking shitt and yelling at everyone to follow him and he is the new captain, you watch from around the corner and help him when he gets into trouble…then you help him slay the Chief and he becomes the new Branded Chief under your control. You must do all 5 chiefs this way. Where the first area you kill the 5 chiefs…in the 2nd area you kill the 5 chiefs and replace them with your Branded chiefs under your control. then Im guessing you take that army and go whip some assss! LOL

1 Like

Very, very disappointed by microtransactions.
Apparently announced a while ago, but seeing it actually implemented really made me feel like crap. Had to agree with AngryJoe on this topic whether you like him or not…

what kind of micro transactions?

1 Like

angry joe is a ■■■■■■ pretentious ■■■■■■ but yeah micro transactions do suck. hopefully its nothing beyond cosmetics

It isn’t. They have some pay to skip ahead sort of content. Things ranging from xp boosts to followers to gold to loot boxes to a mysterious stranger who’ll rescue you.

These would be fine if it was just single player and you could ignore it if you want to (though they’ll definitely be setting up the grinding so it takes so long that it encourages you to buy their loot boxes) but then they added a ranked multiplayer mode where it’s possible to permanently lose characters if you die. That takes it from “Im gonna skip ahead because I’m too lazy to grind” to “I can spend money to always have an advantage online (i.e. Pay to Win)”, which is where things get nasty.

2 Likes

See fwufkins post above. It’s a pretty good overview of the issue.

1 Like