Middle Earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

thanks for the explanation man, im gonna hold onto my money. i aint paying or supporting that kind of shithousse plan of theirs until i see proof that its not. 60 bucks more for my vices

Thereā€™s also the thing where they have a charity DLC where you get imortalize a deceased member of the dev team with an in game warrior where a portion of the proceeds go to support his familyā€™s funerary and medical debts.

Again this is good, except for the fact that the charity is only valid in certain states in the continental U.S., so if youā€™re from anywhere else in the world all of your money goes to Warner Brothers, so theyā€™re profiting from the death of an employee

1 Like

Fn EPIC!!!
The Witch King and the Nazguā€™l!!!

1 Like

Without commenting on the other microtransaction practices, I wouldnā€™t judge them too harshly for this. My guess is itā€™s the states in question and the other countries that either specifically prohibit or donā€™t have rules allowing this sort of thing. I doubt EA would use this as a scam tactic - the amount of revenue compared to the potential bad publicity is trivial. So I would give them the benefit of the doubt on this one thing.

As far as the rest, I would recommend following the same formula I always recommend. If you want it and you have the money, buy it. If you donā€™t, then leave it alone. I have a feeling this is a pretty full package without DLC. Iā€™m still working on the first game. EA is a money making endeavor, so they are exploring ways to make money. Everyone claims to loathe microtransactions and pay to win, but clearly enough people buy the stuff to make it worthwhile. So itā€™s tough to blame them for taking it. I think they are painting themselves slowly into a corner where itā€™s going to get bad enough that we will hear all these real or imagined stories of the poor loot box addict who bankrupted himself buying orc followers and then lost them all online. All it takes is one activist senator and this could be the new ā€œvideo game violence is turning our children into murderers.ā€

The micro transaction in this game are so micro its as if it doesnt even exist. You dont need itā€¦ it doesnt effect the game in any way whether you have it or not.
I dont see what the fuss is about.

2 Likes

Thanks!! WAnted to hear that!

A lot of the microtransaction rage in the world comes from people who arenā€™t even playing games but are attempting to foment a social movement against the practice. They can keep yelling as much as they want, but until games like Pokemon go stop making 10x the profit of Madden NFL, game companies are going to keep exploring this model.

I think a big part of this is actually not on the part of players, but on the news cycle. It seems like every piece of news thatā€™s come out about a lot of new/upcoming AAA games revolves around their microtransactions and the inclusion of loot boxes (which Iā€™ll never not find annoying). Sure this is probably because they know that anger generates the most clicks, but it can help blow something that may be a minor part of the game out of proportion.

So even if Shadow of War doesnā€™t heavily rely on microtransactions in game, every piece of news ranging from official gameplay trailers to online articles regarding the game over the last 6 months or so has either been focused on or at least touched on the microtransactions, people really start to think thatā€™s all there is to the game.

2 Likes

Yeah I have a friend that wont play it due to Micros and he doesnt even know what its about.
All there is is a XP boost, weapon chests, and solider chests. Thats itā€¦ you can get every bit of that in the game easily.
Honestly anyone who pays real money for these things must just want to level up as fast as possible to make the game easier. there is no online versus so what I do in my game doesnt effect your game at all.
To me its as if the micros arenā€™t even there.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been enjoying Shadow Of War a lot; Iā€™m taking a long time to progress through things because Iā€™m making sure to collect everything, and working on trying to improve the orcs I have under my control in each zone.

Iā€™m nearing the end of the second zone, but havenā€™t taken down the stronghold yet. I actually really like the multiplayer concept in this, I enjoy avenging random players against their orc killers, and I think the way you build up/defend/attack forts of other players is pretty cool too. It gives you a reason to cycle your orcs, send death threats, allow them to succeed in missions, or even purposefully let them kill you so that they continue to improve. I also like the variety of classes and upgrades available for your orcs, though I do feel enemy orcs sometimes have really frustrating combinations of gear and abilities, so occasionally you have an extreme challenge because the Captain in question is frustratingly resilient.

I like how the Nemesis system now has a lot of additional depth to it; Iā€™ve had a branded Captain show up suddenly and murder a random orc who had knocked me down, and had another branded Captain rebel and betray me. Being able to assign certain orcs as your bodyguards is pretty awesome too.

Iā€™m pretty sure I have a long way to go yet, (and then the expansions later) but Iā€™m extremely pleased with the game up to this point.

3 Likes

Im taking my time tooā€¦getting everything and trying to unlock each piece of gear that is worth hanging on to.
I just got to the 3rd area where you can brand and create an army. So I dont really have an army yet.

I like how the Enemy Orcs will bum rush you out of no where! Dude thats bad ā– ā– ā– ! Like Im just chillin and bam!!! I get shoulder charged from behind and dude twists your arm while saying something crazy.

This game just gets more epic each time i play it.

2 Likes

My wife has been asking recently why Iā€™m not playing anything other than online card games lately. Just got a reason to start playing SoW.

1 Like

Becuase Online Card Games are life :smile:

Man it really is amazingā€¦tonight is the first night since I got it on 10-9 that I havent played it. You are going to love it.

1 Like

@xSkeletalx
Im avenging your DEATH right now against Khrosh Lucky SHot!

LOLā€¦ this game if mutha FN EPIC!

I just had a drawn out battle against an assassinā€¦he had escaped 3 times and killed me twiceā€¦ finally had himā€¦ he killed me and has NO CHANCE buffā€¦ I was like CRAP! But the a mysterious Orc slayer came to my rescue and killed him! It was awesome!

2 Likes

DUdes! I just got to where you can upgrade your army captains and give them special buffs! ALso looking at the enemies army caps and their buffsā€¦ this is like a damn chess gameā€¦its amazingā€¦ there is so much depth to this game IM blown away!

Itā€™s always great to see someone enjoying something.

1 Like

Just bought the game. I hope my previous saves (a.k.a. kills ) from the previous game are automatically transferred tooā€¦

Okā€¦s they are not from the regular story. You have to play the new DLC update that game out a couple months agoā€¦ Its called Nemesis Forge.

I didnt play it and thought my normal stuff would transfer overā€¦ it didnt. You have to lay that mission and build your army and rivals inside that file. Thats what transfers over.

1 Like

Great game obviously but annoyed right now that I cant DEPLOY followers from my Garrison. It doesnt explain why you cant or how any of that works. I looked up on GameFaqs and some say they think you have to Seige the first strongholdā€¦ owellā€¦ I guess Ill fins out soon as thatā€™s where Im at still frustrating.

This game has more options, skills, and things to do out of any game Ive ever seen in my life. Just go through the start menu guide for about 20 minsā€¦ its massive!