Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite

Any reason this multi platform game was announced at PSX (why the rush??) and why UMvC3 hits ps4 first?
Are we still in the middle of Phil Spencer trying to make it up for losing SFV?

Anyway, if you know the answer to the first set of questions that would be great insight. My second question is more for our MS friends reading these boards and I don’t need an answer…

It’s pure especulation, but let’s discuss it for the fun:

Marvel
Yay: Groot and Howard
Meh: Gwenpool
Disappointment: Kamala Khan

Capcom
OK: Hunter, Edward, Asura
HUGE MEH/DISSAPPOINTMENT: Protoman and Roll

Seriously Capcom. First, you put Zero instead of Mega Man in MvC3, and you even put Tron Bonne!
Now you have to include Roll and Protoman? Put Sigma or Willy!

I really can’t understand that Capcom chooses to put characters with similar gameplay design.

Taking MvC3 as example:
Why Ryu and Akuma? Both are very similar. OF COURSE, they have diferences, but at the end, both have DP, tatsu and fireballs. Akuma unique mechanics are less unique since this game has more air mobility(Ryu can perform aerial fireballs).
I can’t understand X-23 aswell. You already have a mutant with claws(Wolverine). Yes, X-23 and Wolverine are very different, but why do you make characters with so similar powers, instead going nuts with unique characters? Like putting someone like Loki or Thanos, who would be totally different from other characters.

It really bugs me.

I just hope that that list is false. Roll, Protoman, Gwenpool and Kamala Khan feel like wasted spots

1 Like

I have no inside information, but I think it’s safe to assume that it was probably part of the deal for Capcom Cup, which is held in conjunction with PlayStation Experience. I suspect they wanted to announce something and they didn’t have the other Season 2 SF characters ready. So… When is the next good chance to announce the game?

As far as three months of exclusivity of UMvC3, I’m guessing Sony paid for it. That’s the traditional mechanism for timed exclusivity.

Also, I expect a roster of about 15-18 characters per side.

@BigBadAndy is less optimistic, but IMO launching with less than 30 characters would be very dissapointing

This is clearly going to be the subject for a LOT of speculation. Max agrees that more are likely. But I don’t think you need as big a roster for a 2 v 2 game as for a 3 v 3 game. Historically, MvC2 was the first 3v3 game and it had 56 (most of whom were borrowed sprites from previous games) which was a HUGE roster and bigger than MvC3 (36 at launch plus 2 DLC and then up to 50 for Ultimate). Comparatively, MvC1 had only 15 (Plus 5 hidden variant characters and one unique hidden character). So we will see.

I think the pricing for the game and subsequent DLC will be very interesting… They may go back to a $60 for the whole game and that’s it philosophy, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

IMO we should compare this with SFxT instead of older games as MvC1. SFxT is more recent, was a 2vs2 game, and somehow this game seems to get some stuff from that game, since the switch mid combo reminds a lot to it

SFxT launched with 19 SF characters, and 19 Tekken characters, for a total of 38.
IMO this game should AT LEAST aim for that roster for launch. I can totally imagine a roster of 19 characters per side without falling into repetitive gameplay mechanics(Ryu-Akuma and that stuff)

But is Capcom, so there will be absurd character selection XD

If I were to speculate, I’d say 12-14 characters as their first season. Why seasons? Because I think KI has shown that model to be profitable over the course of its existence, with SF also adopting it in 5. I know Marvel tends to have larger rosters for variety, but given that they claim to be trying to make it more approachable, 14 would seem like an ideal number to ease into, adding more if and when they would like. Also because I agree with this

Obviously this is entirely speculation, but for fun I would look at the trends. SF X Tekken had a pretty big roster - that they expanded once with large and super unpopular DLC (12 or 18?). And it was a flop. SF IV launched with 25 (up to 35 with Super and then 6 more total DLC) and SF V launched with 16. Then the released 6 more as DLC. The trend is definitely to smaller rosters, not bigger ones.

How many is Tekken 7 intending to launch with, anybody know?

This particular case is special. SFV is clearly a rushed game: It launched with no single player content. They rushed the game launch date, and so, they launched with a small roster. SF should have launched with it’s current content on September, but they rushed it to make it into EVO.

MvC is a 2vs2 game. 10 characters per side seems extremelly small to me. Just speculating:
Iron man, C. Marvel, C. America, Thanos, Thor, Hulk, Loki, One Guardian of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, Spiderman

Just the 10 first characters I guessed. At least Thor, Hulk, Thanos and One Guardian seems guaranteed. Which means 7. Spiderman, Loki and Strange seems pretty sure choice to me.

IDK, it just feels so small. IMO 15-20 characters per side it’s a must.

if wanda maximoff is in this!!!

YALL BE DEAD! lol

3 Likes

Probably payback for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

PS4 needs some exclusives.

i dont mind the wait!

@WandaMaximoff, what would be your ideal roster for this game?

Let’s assume, for the sake of the example, 18 characters per side.

Actually, I only care for the Marvel side XD

1 Like

IMO they are going more likely with one character of each side(one for Marvel, one for Capcom) when they release trailers.

About your choosen roster, man, I just hope many of these characters are not in man XD . Most of them seems like really bad choices. I can’t see Ken, Hsien-Ko, or She-Hulk making it. Some other choices are really hard to see too

Marvel roster:
Black Panther, Iron Fist or Luke Cage, Gamora or Quake, Dr. Strange, Dormammu and the previously confirmed Iron Man, Captain America and Captain Marvel.
Capcom:
Strider, an RE baddie, Dante, a Monster Hunter character, Vergil or Zero and the confirmed Mega Man, Ryu and Morrigan.

This roster is not really likely apart from Dante, Strange and Black Panther. Just names that sort of work for promotional purposes for both companies. Admittedly, the roster does seem quite small when written out but they can build on that through the title’s lifespan.

Graphics look like sheet, yes they do even though its in pre aplha. And Im sure those graphics are kinda final

Infinite Gems effects Speculation:

Power: Increases Hitstun and damage. Useful for low damaging characters, making them able to close fights in less mixups.

Time: The character seems to move faster, allowing otherwise impossible combos, and moves so fast that gets a “teleport” move. Useful for slow characters, making easier for them to get in.

Reality: Changes some game physics: some attacks gets groundbounces or wallsplats, projectiles staggers, some attacks which never allowed follow ups now does, some attacks have extended invul frames, etc. Very useful for every character.

Space: The character can use some short of portals to attack his opponent. Useful to slow characters without projectiles(Hulk comes to mind), allowing them to put them up close easily.

Soul: Regenerates super meter periodically, and successful attacks drain meter from the opponent. It also heals potential damage faster, even for the On point character. Very useful for characters with powerful supers.

Mind: Your opponent can’t call for assists or use their gem. Extremelly useful to close fights when your opponent has low health, or if their Gem is particularly useful against your characters(For example, if they are at low health, you deny Soul gems, or if they have Hulk with Time/Space gem, forces them to play against your zoning game)

This assumes Tekken 7 will actually launch, and not simply exist as a forever beta. :joy:

5 Likes

The goal was to a pair of Capcom and a rival pair of Marvel at the same time. It would be cool if we could get 2 Marvel and 2 Capcom per trailer though. Probably won’t happen.

1 Like

Here’s some more arbitrary speculation math. So far, we have six characters revealed and two powerstones. There’s six powerstones total, so at this rate we would expect 18 characters on the roster. Meaningless for sure, but I thought I would throw it out there.

@Sasuke99I I prefer Ken to Ryu, but it’s really tough to think he would be in it especially if the game has a small roster. I could see him as future DLC, but unless they are really going to have a 40+ roster at launch I highly doubt he makes an appearance. Remembering that he wasn’t in MvC2 (with that enormous roster) or MvC3.