Make the new characters fun to play

I dunno, man. Saying things like “everything has gone down hill” isn’t exactly constructive criticism.
And saying that tournament players at ■■■ isn’t a very great way to appeal.

And repeated trying to boot people out of the thread because you don’t like the content of their posts is not a great way to foster discussion. If you think that what someone said is wrong, immoral, off topic, or generally unkind, it’s better to let them hang themselves on their own words. Best case scenario is people make themselves look like fools. Worst case scenario is they say something you agree with and you change your mind.

Trying to get people to stop discussing with you doesn’t prove that what they’re saying is wrong. It only proves your afraid of what they have to say.

I’m not saying you aren’t entitled to your opinion, but the way you construct your arguments seems to not sit well with people. You say you know the community well, so perhaps a change in tactics would yield better (or at least more friendly) results?

1 Like

Only one person has called you a troll so far in this thread; believe me, there’s much worse out there so don’t get hung up about it. And I hope you realize the inconsiderate and condescending tone of your SMS-esque posts doesn’t do much to set a course for polite, constructive discussion either.

1 Like

I kind of understand where he is coming from.

When characters like Aganos, Omen, and ARIA were revealed, they were VERY unique, and fun to try to learn. You could pick your playstyle, and get very creative, while practicing the HEAVY optimization that is required for those characters.

But the newer ones like Mira, Eyedol, and Killgore, seem like much less fun. They dont leave as much room to be creative as the S2 characters. They are much more optimization heavy. You cant really CHOOSE how to play them, as much as you have to FOLLOW the rules to play them.

• Mira is not too bad, but the risk / reward of her special moves, and how they effect your playstyle, are very linear.

• Eyedol Is simple footsies, but save your resources to go CRAZY and overwhelm your opponent when you have a lot of them. Not much strategy other than that.

• Killgore demands you be at certain ranges at certain times. Getting close is just plain wrong at certain times, and playing far away is just plain wrong at certain times. You arent really fighting the OTHER GUY as much as you are fighting yourself.

None of this is broken, its all preference, i’m just saying that i understand why this guy is turned off by these characters. I wasn’t very hype for Killgore, but this new Katana character has me hype because it seems like they will go back to a classic hand-to-hand (or sword-to-sword) in-your-face fighting style… with a twist!

1 Like

No.

Yeah, I get that. Those characters have major restrictions and conditions that can feel like they really funnel how you approach with them.

1 Like

I hope so.
And your reply is 80% of what i was trying to say.

(cose i dont like Aria or Aganos either)

1 Like

I love them.

Changes are great, so i hope you arent trying to COMPLETELY stop them from changing anything. New fighting styles are good!

Edit: i like them because you can play them from any range, and the range DOESNT depend on the other character. It depends on the PLAYER. If your OPPONENT cant handle zoning, they can both be used for zoning, if your opponent cant handle rushdown, you can use rushdown on almost any character.

lol, you always do this. Make a thread complaining about something, and then just trash-talk people who disagree with you for the rest of the thread. It’s like you are trying to instigate some drama and then feed off of it.

Come on, man…

5 Likes

You say that about 50% of the people who make posts you dont like. I hope you dont really think half of the people who have trouble communicating as well as you do are out to get you.

Just try to look past the attitude and the construction of paragraphs, and try to find what they REALLY mean. (I think i did a good job of doing that above.)

Just try to be nice! :smiley: Dont throw other people’s ideas out the window just because they arent up to par with your posting standards.

This is an opinion. It’s his prerogative to have this opinion, but he sells it as a fact. And then argues with people who tells him otherwise. And he’s done this many times before.

I don’t care how well someone grasps the English language. That’s not the point.
Constructive criticism should be the standard, but sadly, that’s not the case.
So no, I’ll not pretend to be nice towards people who are enabling this behaviour.

5 Likes

He never sold it as fact. He admits multiple times it’s his opinion, and even asks for others’ input so he can learn about others’ opinions.

By your statement:

• someone can make a thread you dont agree with,
  • you have the right to tell them you think they are wrong,
  • but if they elaborate, or point out where they oppose your opinion, they are now “enabling arguing”

That boils down to:

“I can say what i want, and you have to listen. If you DONT, you are just arguing and seking attention.”

You have some serious communication flaws yourself, and if you cant clearly see it…

(To use a trick from your book…)

… There’s no point in talking to you about this.

I’m not continuing this debate. Just get off your high-horse, and be nice.

3 Likes

No to insult just clarification, pretty much you don’t like characters that you’re FORCED to play their specific style rather than instead of making you’re own style with them?

Or am I missing something that you would be so kind to clarify?

1 Like

No no, that’s not my point. My point is to be clear with the constructive criticism to start with.
We can’t use his opinion for anything. The devs can’t use it for anything. It’s not constructive. It’s just an opinion.

Do you know what we can use?
Constructive criticism.

Don’t make assumptions about people. That’s equally as useless and just starts unnecessary drama as well. Take your own advice and try and be nice, ask about what I mean and ask me to explain instead of making assumptions in an attempt to try and ridicule me and talk down at me… because that’s what you were trying to do just now. And it just makes you look like a hypocrit.

Hey fellas, I get what you’re trying to do, and it’s good in the grand scheme of things, but let’s move this back to the topic at hand (or continue it in a PM) and discuss the OP’s topic.

It’s a suggestion he can make, whether it changes and comes to fruition has yet to be seen.

4 Likes

Continue making varied and interesting characters IG. Thanks :thumbsup:

8 Likes

Maybe you should consider broadening your definition of what KI “is” beyond what it was 20+ years ago. This game has tons of what made KI fun back then, but it also innovatesas well.

Personally, I think Mira and Eyedol are a blast to play and while I main Sadira, I tend to find the early season one character’s to be a bit lacking compared to some of the characters I enjoy more, such as Kan Ra and the aforementioned Mira and Eyedol.

But not every character clicks with me. I’m terrible with TJ and utterly horrendous with Maya. I also, sadly, find Sabrewulf to be rather dull and limited in the fun category, but that’s just me. Those are my preferences.

You may think that too many characters don’t fit what you like and that’s fine if that’s the case. Just concentrate on the ones you do like and have fun.

But maybe reconsider conflating your personal taste with the downfall of this game. Same goes for assuming the lesser competitive scene somehow agrees with your opinion. KI has always had a small but loyal, passionate following of people, even back in ye olden arcade days of yore.

TL/DR: The game’s awesome, the characters are awesome, play who you enjoy playing as.

What are we supposed to learn here? That people should have your opinion on what makes KI the game it is and how characters should be designed? Why can’t you allow for the fact that others have a different opinion?

I wasn’t aware that KI was universally reviled in “the FGC.” Tell me, is it because we don’t have your opinion or because we have the audacity to challenge it?

Yes, some could’ve been nicer or less blunt, but it was rather difficult to understand you and you dished it out as well, so no moral high ground for you. :slight_smile:

Like I said above, just play who you enjoy using and have fun.

Whoa whoa whoa, do not equate a couple of d-bags on twitch with the entire KI community as a whole. If you judged any game by its twitch posters, they’d all look like their community’s were post-apocalyptic wastelands of despair.

Has never and will never be a shield against opposing viewpoints and contrary evidence.

This. OP, don’t be afraid to be challenged or confronted with different information.

Again, focus on the ones you like. If you can’t find any, then maybe this isn’t your game? Nothing wrong with that either. But the game’s not changing for you, so unless you want to broaden your horizons a bit and get to know that majority of characters you don’t like a bit more, well, you might just be spinning your wheels here.

People disagreed with you and some did so bluntly. It’s really not that big of a deal, but when you start calling character designs awful and generalizing about the community, I mean, how do you honestly expect people to take that? Really, put yourself in our shoes.

I’d argue that the risk reward part makes her more fun to play as, but I don’t think that HAS to make her play style linear.

This is my hope as well. I tend to enjoy the characters with the bigger move lists and more crazy stuff going on, but I trust IG to make something fun and unique either way.

4 Likes

When me an my friends play, after an ultra we plank, or do a challenge. If I play CPU vs CPU I punch my self in the face when somebody wins.

I don’t agree so what if Mira losses health No one cares if kilgore overheats he does more damage sure his range is small Eyedol was made as two characters so he is going to switch heads I really disagree.

Mira is my favorite character to play at the moment, so it all comes down to a matter of preference.

1 Like

Fun is subjective. Some people have fun playing Mira, some people don’t. Some people have fun playing Eyedol, some people don’t. Just gonna have to deal with the fact that some characters won’t be fun to play. Welcome to fighting games.

7 Likes