Learning More About The Fight – Game HUD Updates! (Discussion Thread)

Ok that’s what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.

In regards to the L, M, and H Combo Breaker notifications, is the actual presentation final? I think it would be better served by a small subscript of “light”, “medium”, or “heavy” under the Combo Breaker words instead of a large letter after combo

This is really good stuff for people who don’t play the game and are simply spectating.

I’m hopeful that it’ll also help a couple of my friends that I play with level up as they are often doing unsafe specials and guess breaking.

Good stuff, and for what it’s worth from a font perspective I like the season 1 art style for this. It’s over the top like the announcer which I think is important for the games identity. C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

1 Like

I love everything except the lockout timer. I felt that was skill you learn by playing the game over time. I’d like it much more if the opponent couldn’t see the timer, because otherwise it takes away much of the hype in late combo counter breakers in my opinion.

These are all great additions I think! I’m looking forward to seeing a match with all this stuff implemented, cause it all sounds great, but it’s hard to imagine it all happening lol great work guys! Can’t wait for the update!

Looks good, but you really should update the HP and Instinct bars so they look more sleek and modern.
In-game UI needs some renovation.

totally agree. The shadows bar looks too bulky. It need some change.

Why? What’s wrong with it as-is? It’s been fine and working for 2 years now. The brushed font works perfectly for a fast game, it conveys the quick paced, unorganized nature of the fight.

All in all, I agree with everything here. This’ll especially help when trying to guess Cinder’s trailblazer juggles, etc.

This has been fine and working for ages as well. Time for something more modern and a bit more minimalistic.The in-game UI at its current state looks pretty archaic IMO.

1 Like

We opted for updating. It’s a totally subjective thing. A lot of people are used to using the HUD as-is and like the style (as noted above.) Functionally, it does it’s job quite well, so we went with improving what’s there, rather than starting all over from scratch. Can’t wait for you all to try it out.

Kraig

2 Likes

whats the point of it? To bring more people to this KI? I not sure if its gonna work…

sorry being pessimistic.

Did you read the blog post and/or most of this thread?

yep. I’ve read. They want to teach kids and newcomers i guess. Try to be honest here, we don’t really need those things for gameplay, did we?

Now you’re just being dense for the sake of sticking to your guns. If that’s what you took from all this, I’d walk away from the forums for a half hour or so and read again.

4 Likes

Nice, very nice. Totally sweet and rad too. Overall I’m liking these all-new features for KI’s all-new HUD updates already now :smile:

That’s pretty neat! :smile:

I disagree. It seems more games are going for the minimalist style (Though honestly I think it’s a trend in general). While I think this works for other games, I really don’t think minimalism is the way to go with KI, at all. I’m pretty fond of the design of hp/instinct and shadow meters, I don’t think there’s any reason at all to change it. IF they were to, I certainly hope it’s not minimalism.

2 Likes

You know when you guys said HUD update I thought the meters would get redesigned and look less generic not that new callouts would be the big change. Anyways, the new callouts are good I guess. Only complaint is the new countdown for lockouts, I liked the opponent not knowing when the lockout was over. They would usually continue the combo because they wanted to get that last hit in and I’d break. Now they will just play it safe thanks to the timers.

Maybe not. Maybe they’ll try to CB you to continue the combo, or just keep combing you. Mind games, my friend. Mind games

1 Like

I like it.

But if could suggest, alliance specific UI elements for different characters.
For example: Aria, Cinder, Fulgore, & Riptor’s lockout icon could be a pulsing Ultratech logo (with the “U” being swaped out for: L, M, H, clock) and a digital counter underneath.