Learning More About The Fight – Game HUD Updates! (Discussion Thread)

The Reversal and Punishment displays are actually quite useful in that it provides us with a visual confirmation of true reversals/punishes. I think players of most skill levels will find this helpful, whether they initially realize it or not.

To be very clear, these UI updates in no way show you what strength something is to help you break it. They only show up AFTER a breaker or lockout has occurred. Too late for you to adjust for this situation, but its never too late to learn about what just happened.

3 Likes

Picking at your points, the punishment and reversal indicators are absolutely pivotal for a fighting game. One you know that an opponent doing an unsafe move is actually punished correctly, which promotes smarter gameplay. It keeps things like Cinder’s overhead in check so people can punish it effectively on block.

@thekeits should we expect a Tender Moments soon?

I think that itll be fine. This will probably be more serviceable for the newcomers and watchers who aren’t sure of what’s going in. Its not like the toasts that take up about 30% of the screen. Now THOSE are distracting

1 Like

I see ‘‘top players’’ guess breaking all the time. It’s not only because they dont know what it is.

Fine but make it smaller. Its ugly lpl

1 Like

I honestly think it’s fine. I’ve gotten used to it. I don’t stare too much at the fonts anyways, when I have a massively overly-aggressive Wolfman coming to maul my poor Tibetan Monk’s face.

This will help tremendously with like you said, True Reversals/Punishes. It will help my Jago play improve, as well as your Hisako, because we can actually see if an opponent’s move isn’t a true block string, see if it’s possible to poke people out of situations not known yet. I’m sure people will make the lab their home and find out what counters what. That means better players! This will be an interesting update. If this is IG’s answer to “Guess Breaking”, it’s kinda amusing to me.

“Fix the breaker system!” “I hate Guess Breaking!” “Deez n00bz b Brakin comboz 2 much! Need Nerf” “Breaking needs to use shadow meter!”

IG is like: Nope. UI Update. No reason to learn now. Knowledge is the best thing you can have!

(Not Really how it was, I’m positive of that! I’m sure there was a reason for it, like streamers and new players. LOL) :smile:

So hype for this, but the hype is going to be my downfall. I CAN’T WAIT. LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

Keits,

Pretty good ideas here for the HUD. One thing I do not like so much is you have those letters next to Combo like “ComboL Breaker, ComboM Breaker, ComboH Breaker.” While we understand what is communicated, aesthetically I feel like some tweaking is needed. Perhaps a small superscript would look better. Perhaps the entire font could be highlighted in the power’s color and very bright. So “Combo Breaker” is highlighted blue and glows blue so we know it’s a Light. Just an idea for that, everything else is dandy IMO.

5 Likes

It’s a zoomed in look. I doubt it will be enough to hinder the experience. Not to mention, it’s the same font as the combo breaker. How can it be ugly?

Dude I’m not gonna have this out with you. I don’t care enough to debate about the game. I’m just giving the community my perspective as a high level player myself.

I’ve already said guess breaking will allways exist in this game and I’ve given you one of probably many reasons why guess breaking occurs. What more do you want?

Either way I’ve said my piece.

well all these changes are welcome! Thank you so much for sharing.

Though I do have a question will the announcers say Punishment? or Reversal? now that they will be added to the game?

Sure, but I say that those who randomly hit the breake. It loses some sense already that weak attacks are more fast and slower stronger. I think the staff will spend less time in training practicing it.

Punishment is probably the best feature te way it reads. Implies that you can no longer do yolo slide > EX whatever as there is recovery. which I’m greatful for and needed to happen.

the lock out timer look so big …

1 Like

can you make this an optional feature at the video menu? Just like what happened to KV meter cues. As a silver member (off-line) i enjoy the combat guessing the most.

I love it. Anything aimed at clarifying a fast paced game for all involved is always welcome to me.
For all those whining about the reversal indicator cluttering the screen, it’s something that is in literally every game. Every single one. And as for the “punishment” tag, I love that. As long as it doesn’t extend the recovery on whiffed/blocked moves (I don’t think it does @TheKeits please clarify here), I hear commentators, especially in SF and Tekken always asking “is that a punish?” Good to have a leg up as far as that goes, imo

1 Like

Again, this changes nothing about how you play or what you need to react to or guess about when playing. These appear after the fact.

Punishment only appears if you successfully punish the recovery of a whiffed or blocked attack. It changes nothing about how the game is played.

2 Likes

So, just to clarify this for people, this only happens AFTER the Break Attempt has been made, correct? So nothing about Combo Breaking has changed. The only thing that has changed is new UI stuff when a combo break/Lockout is attempted?

This is a very nice addition. Ive had great difficulty getting friends interested because they could grasp the breaker system, this will accelerate everyones understanding of unfamiliar characters like I don’t know? Shadow Jago if he ever comes out :angry:

I like all of the additional information displayed on the UI, but I’m very disappointed that the old S1 in-game paintbrush UI style was kept. Hopefully when S3 launches we’ll get an updated, slick looking (not cluttered) in-game UI that’ll fit the new menu UI design.