Learning More About The Fight – Game HUD Updates! (Discussion Thread)

I actually like that idea a lot buddy.

No one is whining, we just all want to understand it a little better. In theory it seems to be a great addition. It evolves the game.

I think the Shadow one i think is unecessary… if you wanted to put the label tho i think on top of the first bar on the left side of the screen away from the center is better( reverse of that on the otherside) i think the center screen space is very precious to allot of people…

Punishment i think should also be kept to practice only…not that it would make much of a difference…

everything else is awesome and will really help allot of people out.

I really like this. More for myself than for others who are already good at breaking.

One suggestion, I understand that there probably is a testing team, but if possible, if we (KI players) could give feedback on the effectiveness of the UI before finalization, that would be neat. It would be a pity if we / KI players complain for the next 2 years about something as impactful as the HUD (maybe 2.12 shouldn’t be final version). Perhaps, we can go through a few iterations like 2.12, 2.13 before this new hud is finalized for the years to come.

1 Like

There was someone whining earlier about the notifications cluttering the screen. I guess they thought that it would be bigger than the counter hit notification that’s already there?

• agree that letters beside “combo breaker” is ugly
  • locktimer show is horrible
  • don’t like it on first glance but wait and see
  • seems like catering to whining noobs that think you can have stuff without practice

OH HELL YEAH! there ya go. This should make things much MUCH easier for people who are having problems combo-breaking and for people who are getting their attacks broken.

Lookin’ good so far guys! can’t wait for more!

2 Likes

I’ve personally always liked the S1 fonts. I’d be perfectly happy to see them stay on for season 3.

I’m actually a bit ambivalent about the UI changes. Reversal and “punishment” call-outs are nice from a data point of view, but I’m kind of surprised by how much people seem to think this is going to change things. The reversal call-out is useful primarily to give you a sense of how to hit true reversal timing, and the “punish” notification seems to me like it would mostly be useful in a commentary “was that a true punish?” kind of way. KI doesn’t have too many ambiguously negative moves in general - I think it’s usually pretty easy to tell or respond to moves that are negative in this game. It’s pretty apparent (I think anyway) when something is or is not a punish. This also changes nothing about “yolo X->shadow Y” - what works now will still work after 2.12, and what doesn’t will still not. If you weren’t punishing wind kick into shadow fireball before this patch (several characters have shadows that can punish this on block), the addition of a “punish” notification isn’t going to suddenly make you do so. It may be useful for streams and helping people level up vicariously (which is totally a thing), but that’s as far as I see that going.

The idea that the lockout notification is going to seriously reduce guess breaking though is wishful thinking. People don’t wantonly mash breaker because they’re utterly incapable of recognizing any of the breaker cues - they mash breaker because they’re panicking that they got hit. Seeing how they got locked out might make them mash breaker more intelligently, but by and large it’s going to do nothing to actually curb the practice. The only thing that will change is that Joe KI will now say “oh wow, I’ve gotten locked out on heavies twice now and that big stupid H sat there the whole time reminding me that I locked out on heavies; I’m gonna mash heavy this time!” It will be interesting to see if/how the guess-break phenomenon evolves with these new call outs, but the underlying reality of the breaker game and the parts that go into it aren’t changing.

The lockout timer will be interesting to see, but at a certain level I doubt it will have too much effect, except to add a tense “will they or won’t they” moment during extended combos. The timer will give an obvious break cue, which of course will add an obvious counter break point, so that will be interesting, but beyond that I don’t see much changing. The people who maximize lockout damage are going to continue to do so, just perhaps a bit more precisely. The people who end their combos super early are probably still going to do that anyway. If you were ending combos 1 second after the lockout before, you weren’t doing that because you seriously lost track of time and thought your time was almost up - you were doing it because you’d ingrained your combo into your muscle memory and were just going through the motions. The timer isn’t really going to change that for those people I don’t think.

2 Likes

Like everything except for the “SHADOW” word being added there. Completely and utterly unnecessary. Do you want to add a big “HEALTH” sign on the green bar too? Ugh.

5 Likes

ZOOOOM it out a little more and move its location to where all the info comes and i MIGHT be happy

im sure it doesn’t harm anyone else experience not having it for that last 2 years either so we can say that both ways? lol we havent needed it have we?

OPTION TOGAL OFF PLEASE! :nail_care:

with all the FX sounds and now visual ques KI is becoming too much for me! soon we will have what moves they used next to the combo gauge lol.

I understand why this is being put in the game for new players but im not one! Why cant we just have a video introduction to what everything means and timers of lock outs etc? why do we have to fill the screen with text!?

its like playing halo and getting a RELOAD NOW! BAH!

TOGGLE OFF N G’NITE lol

:heart:

1 Like

Oh Keits this is actually really good for people playing the game as well as for commentators. Good Stuff

1 Like

Agreed, might as well label all of the meters especially the unique ones.

I guess I’ll play the devil’s advocate…

While I like the changes overall, I feel almost as if it makes the game too easy to learn/play, eliminating a whole lot of learned skill and timing in the process. In a way, I fought tooth and nail to learn the ins and outs to this game and from this point forward, newcomers will be served a silver platter, so they’ll potentially learn what I learned in mere days or weeks instead of the 3+ months it took me - it seems unfair to an extent somehow.

Don’t get me wrong - it’s nice to know this’ll bring in new players while also helping everyone get better at the game, I just feel like I got gut-punched with a smile. The lockout timer is what really gets me though; post-update, guessing the proper timing to perform a counter-break just became well, automatic - and that doesn’t sit well with me. There has to be some difficulty in a FG… Post-update, what’s left to actually challenge us?

I didn’t buy and fall in love with this game just to end up having “The Ultimate Rock-Paper-Scissors: Collector’s Edition.” Whatever happened to work hard; win hard?

Kids these days get everything for free…

…and don’t have a clue just how lucky they truly are. Why, back in my day, we had to walk 10 miles in 3 ft. of snow - and without shoes!

…and there was no Internet!

…what’re you still doing here!? Get off my lawn! Ya darn rascals… :older_man:

3 Likes

Yes, continue to be an elitist price who doesn’t want anyone new in the FGC. That’s a good idea. /sarcasm

How does any of this hurt anyone?

1 Like

You forget that every fighting game is basically rock paper scissors the game. This just seems to make it easier to learn rather than easier to play. I still think the biggest hurdle for newcomers is learning how to do combos. People on here make it sound easy but the combo system is a lot harder than picking up and playing SF or MK.

i disagree … until knowing opponents animations waaaaaay later in the game, combo breaking is still a guessing game

noobs need to focus on the basics like blocking instead of eyeing the combo breaking systems

Not sure if it has been answered already but:

are the new on screen messages voiced by the speaker as well @TheKeits ?

Keep in mind that when a lot of you started playing KI, you had to learn the animations of 6 characters to break. New players coming in March will have to learn 18+ characters animations at once to try to keep up. That can seem daunting, and if this helps more players catch up and get competitive quicker, I think that’s a great thing.

Lets be inclusive instead of exclusionary. :smile:

14 Likes

It doesn’t really ‘evolve’ the game, but it’s a good addition for newcomers who are starting off from Season 3.

The lockout meter I am for 100% and maybe even the specific breaker symbols but otherwise I hope the UI options can be togglable. Less screen clutter the better.

1 Like

I can understand that reasoning. It’ll be good for players that decide to join late.

Besides those of us veterans new to the game just means we can step it up even more. Some folks forget that alot of stuff like the new timer just gives us a bit more leeway in how we take advantage of the lock-out timer for damage or sneak in a counter-breaker. Plus it means we get to mix things up a bit more now to because the player may know what button we broke etc.

This doesn’t mean that new players will be able to dominate us more easily guys. We haven’t seen this stuff in action so let’s save the doomsday preaching for later down the road.

BTW Keits is there anyway to make this stuff smaller? I think the screen may get to cluttered.